Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88
    Xilef
  Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Make it your goal to have the player in control after the first two dialogue boxes, imposing that restriction will help you figure out how to handle the introduction in a player-friendly way.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

I saw a list somewhere of all the RPGs someone had played and he wrote down the amount of time from pressing "new game" until getting control of the character. He kept track of a bunch other checkpoints too: first combat, access to inventory, level-up, and then recorded how long he had to play until he had access to all the systems in the game. I don't remember all the stats, but one of the worst offenders was FFXV, where you had to play for something like 15 hours before you're given free reign with all the game systems.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
It's definitely a rule, if your character isn't already battle ready, then the first thing they're going to do is get a sword or go through a training session. "It's dangerous to go alone"

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Omnipresent Merchant

For most characters they would be somewhat battle ready as it stands, Sven however- may not be the most equipped. As an additional complication, fighting in dreams tends to be very different to fighting in reality... or at least the anime-esque cliche-fueled cosmic reality of the physical Biztopian cosmos.

Pjcr came through, somewhat anyway- and I have been eagerly working away at getting things implemented. In fact I just finished adding 96 faces for Pep, Rolly and Tristy(24 each), as they have new portraits, this can be multiplied by three due to me adding a couple animated frames per piece. It's been a monotonous flurry of GIMP file editing mixed with the exhiliration of drawing faces in sai on the nice bases Pj provided. ANYWAY!- To get us started~ Here are those bases.

From right to left, Rolly Dorito, Pep Cookiedoe and Tristy Heals.

And yes, I do have a facegrid for all three, now compiled into one convenient globule! These aren't animated so not everything I did can be seen here, but suffice it to say, this has virtually been my work for the last two days.

The great thing is that using placeholders means all I need do is replace them in the game files and these are ready to go, albeit- after some great deal of file-editing monotony! As an extra bonus, if I wanted to start working on Intelligence: Multi-Vitamin at some point I now have a good library of resources for it!

And Pjcr isn't the only one who has been doing incredible work, Xiie as a matter of fact- just finished Nola Worthington's Sprite and it looks amazing!
ImageImage

With this, all that remains for her is to do is Lady Tiramisa (Pep's grandmother, and her current project) and Kara (Khao Manee swordslinger from PFC). That's it, then she's done!

Jake has also been hard at work, finishing Disk 1's themes and moving forward- speaking of, here's the Exile Lyza's epic battle theme, and a new theme for the Man of a Thousand Names.

He's also been getting a good ways with the Insidious Architect's battle theme, which does play in Demo 2 IF and ONLY IF you get Yi down to half health or below while fighting her on Vahnus. (A fight which is INCREDIBLY difficult to stay alive for.) A good queue is that at the same time she'll start casting ZERO UNIVERSE. I've heard a demo of the soon-to-be theme and it sounds EPIC so far, so keep an eye out for my next post where that will be included in all likelihood.

I've also been adding and refining polish, removing typos bit by bit, and I've been making SOME progress on the Tristy fights. Outside of needing some extra mechanics the first phase is done, the second phase "can" be beaten but its not yet very functional. I have plans for it but currently I'm trying to think on how to best work it. Suffice it to say while I have all of Tristy's baseline portraits done, I don't have her with six wings and her angelic get up, so I'm not in any huge hurry there~

But yeah, progress is going very well! Pjcr also got me some handy files like Sacreblu with crossed arms and Fyori with her hands down in her lap, basically poses I hadn't yet received. I'll make a big song and dance about them once all the hype for Pep, Rolly and Tristy has died down.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Been playing some Rpg Maker Demos.
Maybe the lv1 Slime encounter is overused. But here I am try to avoid "mares" in my dream setting because nightmares seemed uninspired.
I thought "hare gels" were a nice pun, plus it lends it's self to a monster = equipment for my close encounter system.
Can't really do that with mares. Studs on the other hand...hmmm. Eerie Earring? How to do this visually without it looking like a stallion raping a cat? That is the question.

Sticky Horse-fly paper? Maybe I can go somewhere with this.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:37 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
A Place holder graphic for an Opening Scene.
I've also been fighting Win 10 again. It keeps rolling forward to a bad Touchpad Driver that disables my scrolling settings and adds momentum to my cursor. and I'm just sefijwoefma'egj

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 am

Inept Evil Stooge

That poor bat. I hope it was OK in the end.

Boo automatic Windows 10 updates! Boo! Hiss!

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of tarot artists on the internet. I'll bet you could convince some of them to let you use their cards in your game, unless you really wanted to do all the art yourself.

And I've been making new encounters for my game. Finally all of the hard work is coming together. I had all of the data structures in place, and I just filled them in with different entries (Demons use these sprites, these names, this equipment, and drop this loot. Wolves use these others. The Viking-themed enemies use these others. Repeat for necromancers, steampunk dudes, goblins, and so on.) and I just added hours and hours of solid new content in just a few days. A lot of that time was spent touching-up some versions of the equipment sprites to work with skeletons and goblins. But mostly, I could just copy the level-1 encounter and rename it level-2, then make some changes, and copy it and rename it level-3, and keep giving the enemies more level-ups and better equipment.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Omnipresent Merchant

Nathaniel3W wrote:
That poor bat. I hope it was OK in the end.
Same, Agrat would never look at me the same way if one of her subjects came to undue harm.

Nathaniel3W wrote:
Boo automatic Windows 10 updates! Boo! Hiss!
I am still using my win7 computer I've kept going for five years, I'm certain its got another five in it, yet.

Nathaniel3W wrote:
There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of tarot artists on the internet. I'll bet you could convince some of them to let you use their cards in your game, unless you really wanted to do all the art yourself.
Well technically even with all of the characters in Fantasia who have a face along with his bat character, you still would be several tarot short of all the Major Arcana. Fantasia has enough, here- proof!
And thats all with player characters or characters you directly fight within the paramters of the main story campaign.
Meanwhile PFC be like-
Even if I use iconic set pieces like the Angular-eyed Sight as "The Star", the Helgate as "Wheel of Fortune" and change Esperia's childhood friend (a stretch as is) to Judgement and make way for The Tower as the Literal London Tower, we're still short Justice, now yes- there are npc's who could take this spot, like Agent Mordecai, the occult monkey, the blue monkey or mayhap thats the bat in this, but as you can see its one heck of a stretch, and its likely many of these characters, such as the Blood council, won't even appear in Coyote's game.

But I'm glad to see Coyote working on something, and that it happens to be a fan project of Perseverance is flattering beyond words.

Also @Coyotecraft I love that naxon, the sacrement stashed in his belt is a nice touch!

Nathaniel3W wrote:
And I've been making new encounters for my game. Finally all of the hard work is coming together. I had all of the data structures in place, and I just filled them in with different entries (Demons use these sprites, these names, this equipment, and drop this loot. Wolves use these others. The Viking-themed enemies use these others. Repeat for necromancers, steampunk dudes, goblins, and so on.) and I just added hours and hours of solid new content in just a few days. A lot of that time was spent touching-up some versions of the equipment sprites to work with skeletons and goblins. But mostly, I could just copy the level-1 encounter and rename it level-2, then make some changes, and copy it and rename it level-3, and keep giving the enemies more level-ups and better equipment.
Epic to hear of so much progress!

Speaking of progress?? HMHMHMHM lots is being made! Pj has been most reliable lately, so Pep and Rolly have all four of their body language poses now, meaning they are both complete, as the faces were already done by me. Fyori's final pose was finished, and so was the last for Sacreblu- meaning PJ is getting back on the ball, he is currently working on pexepe, then Svoli, then either Kara or Lyza.

Speaking of those faces, boy have I got some samples, I'll put them in spoilers to avoid making this post too large, though!

Rolly
Content Hidden

Pep
Content Hidden

Fyori and Sacreblu
Content Hidden

Right! So he's currently working on Svoli and the other characters who are essential for Disk 0- i.e; all the ones you fight.

So now let's speak of Xiie, after Nola I didn't expect she'd so quickly outdo herself again but here we are!
ImageImage
Tiramisa Cookiedoe now has a most amazing sprite!

And Jake has been no slouch either! May I present to you- Yi Hellrider's battle theme AND the Ascension theme.

He also finished the character theme for Wi Hellrider.

And on top of that, he has also done all five of the music effects. But they are too short to really bother showing here.

As for me, I've mostly been busy incorporating all these resources, for the time being all of Pj's work is done, but Nola and Tiramisa's sprites have yet to be implemented.

The music has just recently all been implemented, as well. As a bonus- I'm thinking heavily on plot structure and on how to make the first two bosses you fight in the main story less ridiculously easy. Not hard just a bit more than 'stand still and spam A to win'.

Beyond that, adding flavor text and typo-hunting proceeds apace.

I've also been making some neat marketing imagery in preparation for the future.

In Spoilers simply because its the size of five screenshots.
Content Hidden

In other smaller news, I also changed a couple song names to better reflect the characters. Mostly these were all done to tracks that have not yet been composed. The exception being Yi's battle theme, but it's change is older than the others- old enough to have been already accounted for in the one instance it plays. The only other mishaps is that Esperia's themese are used in the game, albeit rarely- so that'll take one or two little updates to re-append her tracks.
Green circles indicate what names have been changed.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm trying to writing. But

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Omnipresent Merchant

I and my team have made even more progress.

Xiie for starters, is FINISHED all of her work for Disk 0 and Disk 1.

Kara was the last remnant, and here she is:

With Shades
ImageImage

Without Shades
ImageImage

Pjcr hasn't gotten me anything since last post, but he has finished Svoli's draft and while awaiting for the chance to have it approved, he is working on the poses for Tristy Heals, Wi Hellrider and Esperia.

And speaking of Esperia, Jake has recently composed her character theme, and some others since before.

He's also begun on the Esperia Hero mode / Battle theme, and from the demo I've heard it promises to be amazing!

All music for the cutscenes has been added and I've applied the finishing touches, all 12 main story cinematics and their intermissions are complete, now. You can sample them all here if interested: Click me!

I myself also have also been busy, rendering videos, getting more in-battle cinematics for Denui Damnations ready, only Kara remains now for Disk 1 Main story.

I've also been working heavily on paving future events via written dialogue. Here's an example, mayhap it will serve to inspire you Coyote. :B
And one other little excerpt.
Soon I will begin working on what presently demands my attention, the battle with Tristy. I've already made good headway, just needs to be finished.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:54 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Oh indirect characterization. You are my writer's bane.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Omnipresent Merchant

Epic progress update time!

First things first, here's a cool cinematic trailer.

Now, second- Svoli's base was handed to me not long ago-

So now I've got 16 individual faces done for her.
All with three frames of animation, here's a video with some new flavor text showing off some of that.

Now, the BIG news? The Fight with Tristy and both of it's phases is complete, now!

Meaning that all of Disk 1's story content is now complete. Although i still haven't done or implemented the Denui Damnation cinematic for the Kara fight.

Though speaking of- I did do all but one of Kara's sprites. Only her kneeling pose remains.
Again, credit to Xiie for the epic sprite, all i did was minor edits with GIMP.

I also finally filled in that blank area in the London Downtown in the top left above Poormart and the Bomb shop.
With what? Why! Svoli has already clarified. A gas station basically.

Soon to come is the Gameplay Trailer, and following it will be a Story trailer- though i can't properly get underway with it until i have not only some more files from PJ, but some new voice acting as well.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

There is no such thing as a small change.

Yeah, it looks like it's just opening and closing a gate, but you would not believe how complicated this is: Who controls the gate? And do you want to attack the gate or move through it? Should you be allowed to attack from inside the gate? I had to retool all of my attack code to allow attacking a gate instead of an enemy unit. And then I had to redo pathfinding: If you control the gate, you can go through it, but if you don't control the gate, you can't go through it. And what if you don't have enough move to go past the gate? Should you sit there with the gate open? And the AI, when it's choosing where to go and what to do, it can pathfind around the gate, and it can also choose to break through the gate. And I had to rework some meshes to fit the hex size. And I had to rework materials for dynamic lighting. I literally spent about a week on this system.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Power's out. I could type while my battery lasts. But im going pull out my white board and draw a flow chart.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 am

Inept Evil Stooge

coyotecraft wrote:
Power's out. I could type while my battery lasts. But im going pull out my white board and draw a flow chart.

Look at Mister Fancypants over here with a laptop battery that lasts long enough to type something when the power goes out.

(Thinking this right now because my wife's laptop battery holds literally zero seconds of charge and we just haven't gotten around to replacing it.)

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88