Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
    LaDestitute
  Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 am
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot
Also, it's a mod based on Spelunky and I'm pretty close to the first stable release (tomorrow or tonight, assuming the fiveish things I have to finish is the only todo list I have, assuming nothing unexpected pops up like bugs)

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I've been anticipating your announcement, monkey. Because I had a dream where you reinvented Sven's character by giving him sunglasses and making him out to be something like poochie (see: the simpsons) or rad talkn wolfthorn (see: old spice commercial )
So in my dream I was convincing myself it was time to give up that fangame because I didn't want anything to do with the character anymore. Lol.

I'm working on it right now. I'm trying to marry the story's narrative beats with visual metaphors. Like when a character is faced with an ultimatum, they're infront of a literal giant fork in the road. Sounds easy, right? Problem is that a short story doesn't have that many beats. So the super mario land world map I invisioned only has like 2 nodes. I'd prefer 5 or 6. And really, this map only exists to give the player a sense of progression. Like, playing bejeweled stars, every stage is a star in a superficial constellation. Sven is interacting with dream characters, but not the environment,. Honestly he could stand still and let the projections he "fights" come to him.
Working in reverse, to add a story beat based on some relevant imagery is just as challenging. Like a gingerbread house in a candyland is appropriate, but I'm asking myself "what's the parallel? "

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
I've been anticipating your announcement, monkey. Because I had a dream where you reinvented Sven's character by giving him sunglasses and making him out to be something like poochie (see: the simpsons) or rad talkn wolfthorn (see: old spice commercial )
So in my dream I was convincing myself it was time to give up that fangame because I didn't want anything to do with the character anymore. Lol.
Well I mean that's pretty much Pep. He ever wore shades in an old cinematic. But unlike Poochie who was developed by senile old fucks who thought they knew what appealed to kids, Pep is designed, acted and written by a kid- me, because I may be legally 31 but mentally im like a teenager at most.

A pair of shades about to land elegantly over Pep's eyes- making him feel slightly more cool as he and his accomplice approach the sty, 2101 (Deprecated)

If I did make Sven like that it would entirely kill the brother to brother dynamic, where one's a skittish energetic smartass and one is calm reserved and super smart but tries not to slow his other down.

It's not as if Sven can't do fighting, he usually does so at the cost of injury though- like in PFC this is shown a lot through show, don't tell. Them arriving at the citadel was the most obvious showing of Sven's ability to fight, several gravestone markers were around him specifically, and he was clenching a thankfully minor bullet wound that he said he'll shrugg off. It likely just skipped through the fabric on his coat and a bit of skin.

Sven HATES fighting though, and will only do it in lieu of words when words will no longer reach those who oppose what he loves and in likewise- to help out his family and respect his father's legacy. Like even in the really COOL THING HE DID in PFC, where he essentially gave Pep a chance at freeing the people, he didn't have to be violent, he subtly gave Nola some directions through ear-twitches, that Nola obeyed, and then when asked she passed it to him. All he did was apply cigaratte lighter to dark stone tablet.

Sven is also shown to like honesty, as he calls out both his brother and his mother when he knows they are lying. Two examples are obvious when Nola first meets the reds.

On note of the announcements anticipation, I'm glad you were looking forward to it, it was a lot of work. Three trailers and a pre-recording playing to a silent live action recording in a day or two is OOF. I was awake for 38 hours and yes it was all on me wanting to get that all done..

coyotecraft wrote:
I'm working on it right now. I'm trying to marry the story's narrative beats with visual metaphors. Like when a character is faced with an ultimatum, they're infront of a literal giant fork in the road. Sounds easy, right? Problem is that a short story doesn't have that many beats. So the super mario land world map I invisioned only has like 2 nodes. I'd prefer 5 or 6. And really, this map only exists to give the player a sense of progression. Like, playing bejeweled stars, every stage is a star in a superficial constellation. Sven is interacting with dream characters, but not the environment,. Honestly he could stand still and let the projections he "fights" come to him.
Working in reverse, to add a story beat based on some relevant imagery is just as challenging. Like a gingerbread house in a candyland is appropriate, but I'm asking myself "what's the parallel? "
The main thing I do is just "don't overthink it unless its a part of the mechanical or plot structure of your game, like the grass roots shit.

A lot of people think I'm a pagemaster who writes these intriquite over-symbolic stories that all tie together, all planned out n stuff

Nah.

I just keep small details vague, like the name of Tiramisa's husband, Tristy's origins (for a long time), the relevance of a witch hunter and what they really are designed to do. Pep even in earlier versions of intel kept his past brief, stating merely that he was a con-artist that ended up ruining Britain for everyone. At that point I had no idea his backstory beyond just that, much like Rolly worked for a mafia in new jersey. Tristy's past was a bit more lucid in places given consideration to her relevance for the plot- but the reveals like that she was an experiment created like most all of the proto-roos we know about is why her kind became so quickly extinct. In her early 20's there were quite a few proto-roo's still around, some which helped her out of an unpleasant situation she'd landed herself in, this includes her girlfriend, the only person she felt genuine love for, who sadly died as a result of a curse Tristy didn't know about until it was too late.

Now with Fantasia we have some very VAGUE insight into where the witch hunters at least began- since Akra Olna is titled as the first, but of their actual powers we don't yet, know, though I have discovered the purpose of a witch hunter, but since that is kind of a big reveal, I'll put it in spoilers.

Content Hidden
The plot behind Tristy's means of being was never made explicit or clear until I worked it out, it also fit with Tristy's consistent lack of evidence supporting she ever had parents at all.

I was stuck for ages on how to make the stakes of Fantasia feel more horrifying than those in Intelligence 314th clash. So I spent time on it- then finally after watching all of gravity falls and some other shit, I saw the solutions immediately. This was when I discovered Dimensional matrix theory] as well.

Also, not progress but I think it's still relevant, here's an idea of all the inspiration that goes into one character, many samples available- Keeping in mind both of these are HECKA dated.
That'll be all from me for now, best o' luck!

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:33 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I guess the reason I'm compelled to explore Sven's character is because it feels incomplete and underused. From a strictly archetypal viewpoint, there aren't that many examples in cartoons. I see it more in Anime, but even then, their introspection will be overwritten by secondary emotional drivers. Because without that, they'd just be standing still.

Brock in Pokemon is insightful and supportive, but his defining trait is chasing after Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. There's something to be said about his rock pokemon. But to be honest, I don't know what Brock's character is like in the recent series.

I think Shikamaru in Naruto is a more completed form of this archetype. Instead of being a satellite character, He managed to be the center of a few episodes. He's insightful and strategic, but also doesn't want to take action unless it's necessary, because "it's troublesome" or "what a drag" - his catchphrase depending on which language you watch it in.

And then there's Ling from FMA:Brotherhood. Without getting too deep into plot analysis, there's an excellent Hanged Man / The Emperor dynamic going on. And he too has an overriding emotional driver, or a literal split personality, when he gives his body over to Greed. I like that.

They all have a kind of endurance and self-sacrificing nature, which I think would be exemplified in Sven as part of the Perseverance resistance and representing the Hanged Man tarot. But that passiveness is also what makes it difficult to put this type of character into a lead role. And because this archetype demonstrates a strong sense of knowing, any self-doubt or identity crisis would be out-of-character. The situations you can put them in aren't that intuitive.

And ofcourse, the challenge only exists because I'm trying to be authentic and aim for a bull's-eye through flaming loops of specifications.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:26 am

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
I guess the reason I'm compelled to explore Sven's character is because it feels incomplete and underused.

And ofcourse, the challenge only exists because I'm trying to be authentic and aim for a bull's-eye through flaming loops of specifications.
You are definitely right about one thing, Sven has not been given much attention, but what you've summed up about him is very correct.

But don't give up hope- Rolly is pretty passive as well, he only fights when his friends depend on him. He enjoys brawling to quite a degree though-

This comic I'll put in a link may help see how Sven handles himself when he gets in trouble.
Pigs and Perpetuity

It also may help to know that Zib Zawowski is a lot of Sven's inspiration.
Sven is only much kinder and a lot less cynical.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I think I've got a pretty strong theory on characterization. It's the nitty gritty stuff of realizing all the pieces as a continuous narrative, with room for gameplay, that gets me.
But you know, looking at other games, I don't see them doing the things that I want to accomplish. With the main character I mean. Usually the main character is a proxy to direct the player's gaze towards other characters and the world. But I guess I want to do the opposite and use the world and other characters to look at the main character.

I've never phrased it like that before. I have no idea how to do that either :p

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I started to put together a disclaimer and other flash cards. I barely typed a sentence when I started getting interrupted.

Edit: I've had this new laptop for over 6 months now and just realizing I don't have any of my fonts. Just basic stuff.

Top Top

LaDestitute
  Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:24 pm
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot
Since I can't stop working on stuff, been working on a Don't Starve mod for Minecraft now that my other mod's first public release is out:

Config

Rockyland Biome

Gold Vein Boulders

Overriding Vanilla Recipes

Changing how logs/saplings

Top Top

Fayte
  Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:23 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
love seeing everyone's hard work come to fruition!

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 am

Competent Minion

EPIC. Okay so outside of implementing the files from pjcr which he'll send soon and incorporating two sprites from xiie that will arrive friday, all the work is done, all MY WORK is done. As it stood all that really remained was the naxon and blood council optional scenes a boss fights, those are now all done.

All I have left is some cosmetic and dialogue fixes. I also implemented some new achievements and got rid of some older ones.

Usually I'd show you all a video but you've only got 7 days to wait or so, not a whole lot of point and i just wanna sleep now~ x3

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Competent Minion

So i learnt a valuable lesson. Don't specify a launch date if you don't have all the assets for your game ready. I may not be able to make the release date I announced. The good news is me, my artist xiie and the composer jake, are more than done with their work.

I've decided to add some more medals and optional events so as to be able to acquire previously unattainable Pamphlets, like Sven, Sped and Splode.

Those are done, so all I've got left now is to finish the iconset.

Here's one of the more entertaining optional events, including @coyotecraft some decent Sven characterization.

I had more fun with this than I care to let on.

I also did another which gives Splode some exposition and you his pamphlet.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:59 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
That just made my day.
If you need something made, ask me. I have today and maybe the rest of the weekend free. Although as soon as I say that something will probably come up.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
That just made my day.
If you need something made, ask me. I have today and maybe the rest of the weekend free. Although as soon as I say that something will probably come up.
Hmm, I've been meaning to mention that the zip with the hecka compressed movies i got from you seems to be corrupted and so I can't open the zip not extra the files... usually all this comes down to is a bizarre naming mechanic, but if you just calls it webms and it added the .rar it shouldn't having issues.

I guess my advice is make a zip and upload that if you can. I have 7zip so its not like rar formats are any issue.

Oh, here's the iconset. My work is now done.

In spoilers, some examples of it all in use.
Content Hidden

Oh, I also implemented poison mechanic (pink projectiles) but only on the Blood Council Optional Event battle so far.
No, you haven't seen this battle before, ahuehuehue~ I'd rather keep SOME surprises for the actual release.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Ok, I tried compressing it as a zip this time. Sent you a PM.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
Ok, I tried compressing it as a zip this time. Sent you a PM.
Sweet, those worked.

Had to not use a couple, most of which were really short.

My movies folder jumped down from 1.13 GB to 311 MB. The 8 minute monster cinematic FS11 after being compressed is a fifth of that. Before, it was 313 MB on its own now at a mere 61 MB or so.

Many thanks Coyote.

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:28 pm

Competent Minion

Seems we will have to delay a little.

Update
Wi Hellrider's entire bust set is done, with all four poses implemented. You can see two of these here:

Top Top

LaDestitute
  Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 am
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot
I've been away, mostly cause I've been working myself to the bone with 0.0.2 for Beware the Dark (my Don't Starve mod for Minecraft) and I really wanted to make 0.0.2 a lot more polished and content-full compared to the shitty first experimental release the mod had.

Working Campfire/Fire Pits, with working tile entities/fuel mechanics, etc. I've got a bit more than this already, including a bunch of new Don't Starve food sources to replace vanilla stuff, etc and working Log Suit/Spears (the former like in game, provides 80% damage reduction)

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 am

Competent Minion

So basically I decided to give every item icon including weapons and equipment a HD counterpart, and so began the HD sweep of updated icons. Basically I bought three packs of hi-res icons from the unity asset store and got to work.

And here's a video of the ribbon and charm icons in action.

Only medal (aka achievement) icons remain.

We also had a birthday in the CCC lately and for all her effort she threw into Fantasia avant-garde style, I saw no reason to deny her a thank you gift and birthday present as one.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
In a few days everything should have settled down. And I can get back to developing - literally anything. I haven't plugged my tablet in for what feels like months.

I did some more video compression for bizmonkey, but that was just selecting some options and walking away.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm going over my design notes again. I don't even know what all I have anymore, especially art wise. Since I tried working on stuff away from home at random intervals, everything is incomplete or just saved as layer files that haven't been put into the project yet.
My project file is a mess too because I ended up using it to test other things.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:27 am

Competent Minion

Slowly but surely getting portraits for Fantasia.
and Sven with a cigarette.
puff puff

I've also been implementing a taunt system, not sure if it will make it for demo 2, but we'll see.

On notes of disk 2 (and demo 3) i've almost gotten a good draft completed. Here's some samples.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:15 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm eventually going to make portraits. But I keep going back to writing. And by writing I mean asking myself questions that I don't know the answer to. Holding everything in a state of uncertain potential until a spark ignites it and and the ashes assemble into the only sensible conclusion through divine grace or cosmic order.
What do you mean that's not how writing works?

Probably the biggest thing I've learned this year about character arcs is creating a lie and a ghost. There's a lie a character believes, and there's a "ghost", a tramatic event or whatever, that is the reason they believe the lie. This lie then rationalizes the character's wants. So then when they see through the lie, they understand what they need.
I have no idea where/when this paradigm showed up. I certainly was never aware of it in college. But it's pretty useful for serial writing because there's not a limit to the number of lies a character can believe or act on. And the character doesn't necessarily have to learn or grow from it.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
God damn windows update! Took all night for some reason. Then when I got on again:
Desktop wallpaper was missing.
Bluetooth was turned on.
Folder view was all changed.
Of course my touchpad settings were all deactivated. AGAIN. So I couldn't scroll normally and I kept dragging icons and highlighting everything without meaning to.
I found out Synaptic Touchpad settings are now in it's own "App" that has to be installed separately. It's still broken though. The menu flickers like it's refreshing every second.

I was in a good flow state too last night. I can't explain it, but late night is the magic hour. Got to be something to do melotonin, lowered inhibitions, sleep deprivation, my 3rd can of Coka-Cola. Maybe theta brain wave patterns? Wish I had an EEG.
All I know is that it's impossible to get back into it in the morning. When I wake up in bed first thing I'm sometimes still in the zone. But it's gone as soon as I get up and do my routine.
I've experimented with different kinds of dietary supplements, even frankincense. But of course what I'm calling "flow" might not be the same "flow" everyone else is experiencing. There's some neurological studies about inhibiting analytical region of the brain. I've never experienced "runners high" before, it's suggested it has something to do with diminished blood flow to the frontal cortex. "transient hypofrontality". Supposedly in a flow state you're removed from worries and anxiety. But maybe that's only a little true. I worry - I know - that the magic ends as soon as the sun comes up. And the obvious question while I'm experiencing it is - why the hell couldn't I do this hours earlier. Make the most of my free time. Why does is have to be the most inconvenient time? What's different now vs then? So I'm able to ask those questions, but I've yet to find an answer in any state of mind.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:40 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I've been investigating the JRPG dungeon crawling Wizardry series. I have too much to say about it. So I won't say anything at all.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Competent Minion

Story Trailer finally finish, Pjcr finally got me the Tiramisa Portrait, and I also found an epic voice actor for Tiramisa.

I'll be getting her to correct the immortal / immoral mispronounciation. Other than that it's all good.

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

I am so far out of my depth. I'm trying to implement Steam Input into my game and I don't know the first thing about C++, and my Epic support agreement expired years ago. Somehow over the course of a week I got to the point where I can detect when a controller gets plugged in or unplugged. And so long as I don't set any of the variables in the game object that calls the Steam API header functions, the game goes along just fine. But if I set handles (variables that are unique typedef'ed uint64's that are used as IDs for various game actions), then the game crashes when my object gets garbage collected. And if I set the handles and then check to see if the player is inputting those actions, the game also crashes. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:04 am

Inept Evil Stooge

I found out what I was doing wrong when an old UE3 dev took pity on me and took a look at some of my code. I was declaring my variables in C++ when I'm supposed to declare them in UnrealScript, then let the build tool link my variables to underlying C++ variables. And although UE3 uses 32-bit integers, I can use a qword, which is a recognized UnrealScript variable type, to hold a 64-bit integer. All of the uint64 responses I get from the Steam API can be stored in the game as qwords, and it all works perfectly now.

I'm glad I got it working, but this is just one example of what can go wrong when working with an outdated and unsupported engine, especially in a language you barely understand.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Competent Minion

Decided while I wait for PJcr to finish I'd do some work on an older project that I've had a remaster of in the works for quite sometime.

So that's been fun!

Otherwise I've been taking the chance to do art. :3

Oh! Also I went and did a repeat of 2016.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90