Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
    LaDestitute
  Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 pm
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot
I've finished the mapping for the inside of Everquart Mountain (Mt. Everquart in-game). Interesting trivia: I used a random d20 dungeon generator to make the layout for both of the floors.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 pm
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

That is definitely the most room-like cave I have ever seen mapped in Pokémon tiles. It doesn't look much of anything like a cave. Not even a Pokémon cave. Too much of an open layout, with too little variation in room size or shape. Maybe if it were Pokémon Mystery dungeon. But this is most certainly not PMD.

I would recommend that, instead of using a D&D map generator, you take a peek at as many caves as you can from previous Pokémon games, with the exception of the one you find Mewtwo in in R/B/Y/FR/LG. You'll find that there is usually a "path", but that it tends to be somewhat circuitous, involved, and often blocked unless you have a required HM.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

coltman
  Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Content Hidden

Been a good few years since I've actually mapped something in RMXP. What do you guys think?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
There's a demo for the Inquisitor tileset that shows different ways for the houses to be built. There's usually another tile that lines the base of the house, the grey brick looks best imo. The house is missing it's shadow.

Top Top

coltman
  Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:30 pm

coyotecraft wrote:
There's a demo for the Inquisitor tileset that shows different ways for the houses to be built. There's usually another tile that lines the base of the house, the grey brick looks best imo. The house is missing it's shadow.

Ah, good point! Saved me a lot of headaches, thanks!

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:06 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I haven't mapped for a long time and I have a small project that must be done within two weeks. I whipped these two maps up tonight and I'm thinking I'll make two more the same size tomorrow and call that enough (I said small, and I said it has to get done). How do they look?

Top Top

Erichermit
  Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:10 am

Party Mascot

Are the maps intended to be finished? You've got a pretty good base there, but I have a few criticisms. I do enjoy your use of multiple levels.

First of all, go fix the slope tiles that run beneath each other. For example, I can see a few spots where you have used the "curved" floor tile beneath a straight wall tile, or the same thing but the other way around. These things are not noticed very easily specifically, but they do have a somewhat jarring effect on a viewer even if he does not know why he feels so. And if he notices it, it will take him out of the immersion.

Finally, I think what you have is a good baseline but I would clutter it up a bit more, especially in areas the player cannot reach. It is good to keep obstacles to a minimum on player pathways, so utilize mostly your passable objects in the pathway.

As for the "off-the-trail" I'd put far more trees and bushes etc. It makes sense that the well-traveled path would have less growth than the off-path zones, but most importantly, it's just plain more visually appealing and interesting.

Even if the map is intended to be sparse, I'd give it a bit more to look at it.

Top Top

DJ
  Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:44 am
Game Making Weird Furfag Thing

Party Mascot

Great Woods Town (135 x 100)

Forest Resort (40 x 40)

Great Woods Forest (101 x 90)

Rave Town (70 x 70)

Cabin of Forest (20 x 20)

Forest of Dimension (50 x 50)

Some folios of my maps, that i made yesterday to make people buy my resources ( HEHE :devil: )

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
My project runneth over. Most of the coding is done now though; lots of graphics left to do though. Here are some improvements and a new map:

ImageImageImage

I have tried to ease the sharp edges between tiles that don't fit together exactly, as well as several mapping errors. However I will not be fitting the tiles together exactly; I'm trying to use the non-vertical cliffs to give it a bit more visual interest. I've been working on my own improvements to the tileset though and working with the cliffs this way is giving me some ideas for improving the cliffs component.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:27 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Just practice. Experimenting with the shadow tool. Tried using it to create a deeper level. But it kinda sucks since the shadow only covers the floor and wall tiles and nothing else.

Top Top

Stardust
  Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:52 pm
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

The shadows look awkward because they're squares and the objects they're shadowing aren't (especially noticeable on the far left). :s

Top Top

Injury
  Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:05 pm
Ṱ̻̘o҉̸̴̮̬͉o̹̬̰ M̠͍͍͡a̧̺ǹ͍̝y̢̞̮̯ C̳͚͇̻̬͝o̴̡̲̼͕ͅo̶̢̧̠̫̹̳̬̣̭k̶̻̫̯s̴̰͖̭̟̱̯̀͜

Generic Townsperson
Level 4 Residential/Storage Area

Demo map with no lighting effects...

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Could use additional floor tiles. Or lower the contrast on what you have now, it kinda hurts my eyes.

Top Top

Injury
  Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:09 am

Generic Townsperson
It's hard to do with what I have. The actual map has a much lower contrast. Pretty dark for the most part. Thank you!

Top Top

Byron
  Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

This is kinda the starting village... I'm not to sure if that looks okay.
Normal square roofs look horrible so I tried to spice it up a bit. Not sure if it worked though.
Tested out the shading tool... Not toooooo sure about it to be honest. Half of me thinks it improves the map and the other half feels like it's tacky and meh.
I will be adding foliage and paths and shit, just wanted your opinion on this as it is.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Check out the C tiles for roof tops.
I'd reason that the back of the house is 1 or 2 tiles lower then the top of the roof and thats where the shadow should stop.

Top Top

Byron
  Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

OMG HUMMINA HUMMINA
Oh my god thank you for telling me about this!

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I like it. There's tons of edits I'd make to the tileset, but that's more graphics than mapping persay. For using the tiles as they are, I think it's good.

I'm not sure how my interiors are going along. I wanted to try the technique of showing an outer wall instead of just stopping at the bottom, but I'm not sure I've pulled it off.

Top Top

Injury
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Generic Townsperson
Looks good to me! I just wonder about the universal light source. Is the light source always above and to the left despite windows to the supposed north? It looks nice though!

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
You're using shadows for depth; implying height and separate tiles when things look confusing. It's all representational so you shouldn't stress too much about making it look natural.

The shadows auto-generate on the right and most tile objects, the big ones, have shadows on the right. The generator can be a little dumb. I would erase the shadows on the stairs since it's a higher surface compared to the floor. Also use the stairs without that edge, there are separate railings with shadows but you'll have to apply them as events if you want to layer things behind it.
I think when drawing the walls top-down instead of bottom up, the shadow doesn't correct itself and ends up thicker than the wall. If the wall is 2 squares the shadow should be 2 squares. Actually, it might suggest the shadow goes around and behind the wall too. Idk.

I gave the counter a shadow. It bugged me the way the floorboard and the counter's edge lined up. Maybe a stone tile around that part would separate it better? All minor details though. Don't get caught up in a small map.

Last edited by coyotecraft on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:03 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Thanks, that's much better; it never occurred to me that those were bannisters. I think though I will try and find out how to turn off automatic shadows as they're... well, silly, I think. I'll edit the edge of the counter, instead, as I am using that tile a fair bit anyway.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I think you just have to erase it by going over it again with the shadow pen tool. It only applies to the autotile walls.

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Never even knew there was a shadow pen, thanks.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
More experiments. For science!

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
The brick waterwall tiles bugged me. I think I figure out how they were intended to be used. They shouldn't have spaced the tiles so far apart. It's confusing. How am I suppose to use this? What is it paired with?
This looks much better. The reflection is to opaque now but whatever.

In order to make the autotiles work in this way you have to learn the art of shift-click.
The character would look better if he was partially submerged. I tried giving the water tile the bush flag but it's not very noticeable so this is something I would have to edit the sprite.

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm not sure on all of them to be honest. Visually, the map looks nice. But I think these are tiles which have another specific use, that one day someone will discover and it'll be a big "oh, of course", like the parapets in RMXP. (But then tiles don't have to be used how they were meant to, and those fountains are ace)

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Early attempt at mapping a river using the default autotiles. Not sure how I messed up the edges, but will fix eventually.

Top Top

Ellie
  Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Someone on another forum pointed out that's not how the water autotiles are meant to be used. Tried again. Still not too sure.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:18 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Did you make some color adjustments to the grass tiles? Its noticeable on the corners of the water's edge.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:42 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Yeah I'm trying to work out what went wring. I think I must shave missed the filter I applied off just tile A1.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next