Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
    coyotecraft
  Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I'd say leave the rim lighting blue. It contrasts with the warm lava. Style over realism.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:19 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

I love these, also in canon Remira has a skirt and leg warmers, Cathy and Renae are both kitsunes, only with a small number of tails. Renae also has striped blue and pale blue tights but given how little i've announced these characters im surprised you were so accurate as you were. Nanianne also has eight tails but given how fucking difficult it is to draw that many on a good day I'll let you have artistic license on that one, as two could simply be right behind her.

Here's a hd image of remira.
Beyond the ankle-length leg warmers, she has bare feet.

but yeah holy fucking shit my dude this was a nice surprise to come back to!

The only one you missed is Akra Olna, though i assume you haven't done her yet due to how difficult she would be to do.
The only nine-tails so far drawn. Her twin Sister L'soiv D'pes (said Le-Soo-wahv Deh-pehz.) has insofar only gotten a rough pencil sketch, I will not have to concept her until Final Round or the inevitable Zen game.... that or the eroge. (Project Seraphim)

Alike how Akra Olna lords of arcane, thunder, holy and shadow, L'soiv D'pes lords over Fire, Ice, Water and Blood. She commands the Kingdom of Morzan. her name is also a play on the namenames of pre-established lore characters. Like how Akra Olna is Kara Nola, L'soiv D'pes is Svoli Sped. And also related, Akra Olna is the first of the witch Hunters, L'soiv D'pes is the first of the crimson demons.

Here's the very unfinished and non-final sketch just for the heck of it.

As for actual gamedev, I've been working on getting news of this thing out there, recently was contacted back by one of the youtubers I emailed. he has almost 20k subs so I may get a review from him.

I also got Drifty, 14k subs to do a first impressions vid.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:38 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Here's another morning practice exercise with your fire and shadow nekos. I'm not particularly proud of them.

Yeah, after replaying your Fantasia demo I realize you've got a whole planet of Kitsunes coming up. So I went through your art posts and for reference and just started something. I saw a sprite for Akra in the game files but I didn't connect it to this drawing.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Competent Minion

Oh my double crap you must be following me around on twitter becuase i have posted those NOWHERE ELSE lmao nice nice i love them

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:38 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I don't use twitter but I know how to find things. :smile:

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:16 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
For March I might try something like the Iron Artist challenge. Something daily maybe. But March and April are shitty months, usually. I get Shanghai'd into things and I don't know where I'll be or for how long.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 am

Inept Evil Stooge

I wanted to redo the cheap autosave animation I had before, so I made this.
I couldn't just make an image and rotate it, mind you. That would have been too easy. I actually opened up AfterEffects and rendered spheres so that the lighting would be consistent in every frame as it spins. I also added a bezel to the ring and made the lighting consistent as that rotates too. And in-game, the effect is 1/4 this size and it spins faster, so probably no one will actually notice it, and I could have just rotated a single image.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:54 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
If it's worth doing it's worth doing right (and taking a few months longer in my case)

Top Top

Xhukari
  Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Generic Townsperson
After playing RS3 for way too much per day, I've finally broken away from that grind, so I can continue the game dev grind instead! XD

I'm not great at graphics, but will have a lot of inventory icons. Especially guns. So I stumbled upon Sketchfab and grabbed some screenshots of 3D weapons to trace over at a smaller size, pixelated size! I'm making sure the ones I will use are under the Creative Commons - Attribution license. :)

The search feature is not the best, so it's taking a lot of time to find appropriate uploads. So far I've got screenshots for 3 shotguns, pistols, SMGs and magnums. With an extra of each that can be unlocked with NG+ points, which are older weapons such as the MP40 for SMGs.

Creating a game of a good length and quality can be hard, so I'm opting for a NG+ Store where you buy weapons & items unique to the store (with in-game earned points, based on performance), that unlocks new areas and time-savers (e.g., Skeleton Key) etc for the next playthrough.

The Skeleton Key is a great example of what I plan to do; through a normal playthrough, you will be too late to some events (saving people, etc) which you will be able to save and change the story due to the Skeleton Key, etc.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:52 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I have a very modest goal this month. Something I could probably do in a week if I paced myself. Or a day, if I did a marathon.

I wish I had the confidence to do the same with writing drama.
I've been reminded recently that my Myers Briggs type explains that I validate by intuition. So it could be that I just don't have a taste for what is "good", so nothing satisfys me. I'm not strictly immitating anything, I have a little inspiration to go off. I'm just extruding verbal paint hoping I like what I see, when i see it. In other words I don't know what I want.
So now I'm meditating on the question of how to acquire a taste for something without ever having experienced it.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Competent Minion

Devlog Number 2 at last.

Coyotecraft got a mention and shoutout for the sprites~!

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:22 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Go me!
I'm sure everyone is sick of reading about the Coronavirus. But I foresee a hump in my dev progress. Schools are staying closed after spring break, so I might be staying to help babysit kids. Although one of my sisters is out of work for a while, so we might draw straws.
Which means if I hope to get anything done this month it'll have to be this week while I have plenty of time to myself.
I hate to think what April will be like.

Top Top

Xhukari
  Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:21 am

Generic Townsperson
So the gun icon thing fell through. So much my perfectionist tendencies triggered, and since I couldn't just fix it... I've turned off on the game. No worries, been working on a design doc for a new game, which pretty much throws some ideas I've had (for awhile) together...

Mechanically it may be a bit on the more ambitious side, but my plan is for a simplified 'monochrome' graphic style. But their single colour is decided by what they are... enemies red, you blue, allies green, whatever (you can change it to custom values).

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

Competent Minion

Began working on Fantasia Demo 3, this small scene takes place right before you travel to Zen Aneia.

Let's not even mince words, The M.F. Lazarus Mind Freezer's are just basically Gasterblaster's lmao.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Helping home-school my niece and nephew. I've been playing around in RPG Maker on the side. Making quick and goofy nonsense stories.
They want to see my games. But they don't have an appreciation for event systems. I try to explain how I mostly work with other people's projects, play testing, or show people neat tricks and ideas. They're like, "oh! you're a teacher." and I'm like "Kind of, but mostly I just build stuff so other people don't have too."
They don't really get most of the stuff I have to showcase. They don't play a lot of video games. They've never seen a Bullet Barrage game before, so I showed them parts of Biz's games. They're not educated on myths and legends. They're not familiar with genres. Definitely not ready for horror. I got a picture slider puzzle I'd show them if it weren't for a lewd gesture. And I'm reluctant about them looking over my shoulder while I navigate folders because I'm sure there's plenty of pg13 stuff in there, like the Windego with his guts hanging out.
I've got all these pre-made maps and events that they'd just take for granted.

So we've been doing simple gameplay challenges. Like time limit mazes. Collect coins. Rock paper scissors.

Top Top

Xhukari
  Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am

Generic Townsperson
That sounds adorable (if maybe a bit annoying), Coyote! :smile:

I've been working on a psuedo-3D thing in Construct; looks better in motion. But I've essentially taken the idea of 'sprite stacking' from Game Maker, where essentially each sprite is a 'layer' of a greater whole, and by displacing them, you can create a 3D-looking effect.

I wanted it to be for the world in my game, so I've linked the displacement to the player, and through calculating angle and distance, lerp each sprite... I think I'm just weird though. I don't like coding or making assets for actual 3D stuff, but this? I'm liking this.

I was originally going to go for a Asteroids-inspired aesthetic, but have key elements tinted to suit what they are (e.g., red for enemies, green for allies, etc). But once I added the roofs, I don't think the style works with the amount of detail I'm wanting (roof graphic is temporary, but correct detail)?

"Wide image!"

So I'm thinking I'll jump to a full-colour aesthetic, but save outlines for the player, allies and enemies...

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
So I finally made it home. I was house/pet sitting for my sister's family while they were on vacation, and then this quarantining thing happened so I've pretty much been away from home all month.
I didn't achieve my development goal for the month either, but I only have myself to blame because I totally saw this coming and should have been proactive and completed it while I had time to myself.
But now I can recharge my introvert batteries, and I might try for a marathon tomorrow if I can.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 am

Competent Minion

Okay so, not a huge amount of work yet, but things are hecka moving forward!

Remi
So first, I got all the content until just after you arrive on Zen Aneia done, this video shows most of it.

Obviously, the portraits and sprites are placeholders right now.

Then there's also this little thing you can do where you can transport to earth's remains and pester the Insidious Architect.

She eventually gets ticked off, earning you a medal.

I also added a bunch of placeholder tracks into the game's ost.
They continue in their very touhou-esque nature,

I also updated the 00albumcover.png file in the audio/bgm folder
Before it was just the background with the "F STAR: but now it has the rest of the game name as well as some more.

There's other stuff I've done but not in any easy to see format.

Pjcr
Boy is this crafty kid redeeming himself lately after the wait he forced on us during Demo 2's final stretch.

Xiie
She has submitted nothing yet, but she has created a bunch.
Limbo, Renae and Cathy's sprites, now working on Lily and Zephyrra.
A wholesome picture containing both Renae and Cathy which will be used as album art for Extra Track 05.
A nude soulcatcher which is set up for my future eroge. May as well start getting assets assorted.

Jake
Composer has been quite productive.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:54 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
If you ever need help - or want me to elaborate on those sprites I started - just ask. I can make it match.

*sigh*
Today I'm doing more script writing. uugh. Dread. Maybe I'll go procrastinate some more.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:29 am

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:
If you ever need help - or want me to elaborate on those sprites I started - just ask. I can make it match.
Nah, Xiie's got this, I may consider you if i need say, an action pose done- though~! Xiie is also incredibly competitive.

Meanwhile, i did this.

Main story content is moving along slowly but surely~! Granted, I've already written the script from Disk 0 to the end of Disk 3 in draft form.

I really do want to cut down the dialogue and make it more succinct, too. That will be a large focus of Demo 3.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
It's: Useless Insights With Coyotecraft

I discovered Emily Carmichael on youtube. She was the (a?) screenwriter for Pacific Rim 2, and before that she was known for doing these pixel sprite films. Anyways reviewing her writing process "Intrinsic Motivation" is like her mantra, which she says is the heart of drama. She starts with that and spirals out, building a plot around it. I've been doing the opposite. I have a plot and I try to spiral-in to find the character's motivation.
I don't think my process is wrong. I'm stuck trying to find a good beginning. It seems to me that going the other direction means looking for a good ending. And for career writers, not writing a proper ending is acceptable *cough* hacks *cough*
I mean, they can always say "the rest is another story" and keep the audience hanging and desperate for more.

Her Adventures of Ledo and Ix is really interesting to watch. But nothing gets resolved. And it just stops at episode 10 never to be concluded, it seems. You could say that's the theme. Because they're RPG characters living in a glitched/uncompleted game world and they only have each other to offset the existential dread.
But that's just my rationalization; it's complete because it's incomplete. Even thought they show rough drafts for another episode.

I have a small-big problem with generating a story from a character's intrinsic motivation, which has to do with spin off stories
but I'll get to that. This is how I'm picturing it: The story manifests where the character's motivation intersects with the plot.
You can think of the intervals or intersections as the key scenes that make up the story. I want to say the story is their world manifested. Or that they manifested their own destiny. 2deep4u? Maybe it should look like a logarithmic spiral that's closer together at the start then wider apart at the end because there's less meaningfulness to observe? Or more meaningfulness. Guess it depends on how you want to look at it.
Now I want to get to a theory of constructing spin-offs and gaidens (side stories) that follow alternative support characters. Now most reasonable people would just create an independent story and graft it on/in to the source material. But I've been looking for a method where the source material manifests everything, including the character motivation. It would be so much easier if I just threw darts at a board and ran with it; but I'm doing it this way. Because I am.
I want to create a hypothetical story that touches on the source material. The character needs intrinsic motivation to inform the scenes. I don't know what that is, but I want to get there logically based on what is already known in the source material and then reaffirm it. I want it to create itself, or feel like it came into being own it's own naturally.
Now this whole spiral schema thing I've just made up today. But I think I can use it to partially express my process from the past year developing a fan game.
It's really simple. I just took what I know from the source, imagined an alternative series of events, and that alternative future kinda-sorta informs the past which steers this hypothetical story explaining why things happened the way they did.
The question I'm asking myself is if this alternate future is extrinsically or intrinsically motivating. Or how to make sure it creates intrinsic motivation. I think that's what I've been struggling with.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:26 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Just me talking to myself all day until I pick up on my project writing

Me actually brainstorming on task. Reminding myself what I have. Getting stuck in the same place I've been.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:09 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I was just thinking about how The Adventures of Ledo and Ix handled stubbornly passive characters. Ix accidentally crossed paths with a Princess NPC who starts following him around. But she doesn't speak. She's just another broken NPC fake person. But they can't figure out what to do with her. They end up lost in the woods and can't figure out what to do. The talking tree's speech box goes of the screen. Ledo snaps and starts using all their rare important Buff items. They even petrify the princess. I think the joke is they got "stoned". Once they've cooled off they unpetrify her and...

I think the princess is Ix's object of desire. He wants her to speak so he has someone else to talk to. Because Ledo isn't a great conversationalist. In the following episode Ix is stuck. Literally in a wall. Because the world is broken. He tries to image what it is the Princess wants or needs.
The episode is called The Temple of Unspeakable Mystery.

The only way they can get him out is by killing him, and reviving him outside. Interestingly, Ledo finally does share her thoughts but her Nihilism is probably the worst thing you can bring up before killing someone. It's funny. And before she brings back Ix she talks to the princess, predicting the worst possible thing. Which is leaving Ix hurt and alone.
They are an odd couple for sure. She's a negative nancy, and he's mr. sunshine. So that's a great formula for drama.

I guess that's something I keep forgetting. Drama needs contrasting things. I get it but, why is the Princess following Ix? What does she want? What does Sven want? The mystery is compelling, but it needs to be answered!
Did I get here because I tried too hard to make Sven the center? And there's nothing at the center?

What can be Sven's object-cause of desire? In a dream. In someone else's dream. He'd assume it's Esperia's doing. But she's not tormenting him like she normally would. So he must think it's someone else's doing. Curiosity killed the cat. But if Esperia could kill people in their dreams she wouldn't be hunting the perseverance group while awake. He's allowed to be curious in a dream, he doesn't know what'll happen there either. I guess neither would the snake. But it's dangerously close to it's goal.

That's good tension but only if the audience knows what the snake wants, and what'll happen if it succeeded. But Sven can't know. And I can't keep putting stuff in front, because eventually the beginning won't be the beginning anymore.
The coyote has a supernatural sense of smell to perceive things. Maybe the snake does too. But snakes smell with their tongue, so maybe the coyote's censoring ability is used as a fail safe. In case Sven makes up his mind, the snake could see where he's going but not have the "phronesis" to know how to manipulate him, or even say anything. But in the end, eventually, Sven will want to know what the snake has to say. So it doesn't have to say anything.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:16 pm
Sponsor

Competent Minion
more babbling, working though writers block

Writing out my thoughts counts towards some word count goal right? Probably not. It's just talking with fingers.
Making connections and explaining them, or putting them in new context. Plot summaries are not scene writing. That's what I really struggle with. I may say "I don't now what's motivating a character" but what I really mean is that I don't know why they specifically would say anything at all. No. What I really really mean is that I need an excuse to make the characters animated and energetic, that tells you who they are, and also points them in a certain direction. But it's so hard.

Top Top

Fayte
  Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I think bogging yourself down with a reason why a character is the way they are is holding you back. Just let them be the way they are and the viewers/players that identify with that type of personality will love them anyway.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Intrinsic motivation is important because it's how characters engage with everything. It's where the drama unfolds from.

Right now my story is like Alice in Wonderland, and I'm not satisfied with that because there's no drama or meaningful connection between the character and the events. You know, Alice basically floats through these strange encounters answering riddles.
That would be fine if it were a typical rpg campaign. You can generate any character with any backstory; they all descend the same dungeon floors regardless.
It's not a personal quest.
For what I'm doing, I want to make it personal.

There's games like Persona 4 that are a little more personal. Granted it's a hybrid RPG-Life SIM. But most of the social link events are just characters talking @ you. I don't know if that really counts as dialogue. I guess it is. Because it informs how a given characters see the world. But it's really unnatural and forced the way they do a 180 and unload their emotional baggage unprompted.
>You spent time with Whats-their-face for the day
"Weee. Yeah"
"This is fun."
"Yahoo"

*music stops*

>Social Link Level UP

But because you're playing a silent protagonist the game just pretends stuff like this is a meaningful postmark in their relationship.

Even though this was a joke example I could theoretically make it a drama by setting up the protag's intrinsic motivation. Asking myself how something could conflict with this? What would be ironic? Maybe the protag was afraid something like this might happen. Maybe he wanted a partner to go shark cage diving. And that'll lead to this other character lying about recovering, because they have so much fun together. So they go Shark Cage diving.
and then

Tragic.

Top Top

Fayte
  Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I think the only important thing is giving your characters a personality type; righteous, selfish, etc. and then make their decisions and dialogue throughout the story based on that. Getting bogged down by the fine fine details is slowing the progression of actual game making and what leads to abandoned projects. Get the base, the outline, and go on from there. You’ll start to have more and more ideas as you go and the story and fine details you want will come naturally as you move forward.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I agree with you, that's the conventional wisdom of storytelling. But that's the other half of this problem. Sven isn't a conventional character. He's like Buddha. Unmoving. Willfully suspending himself.
I'm giving a lot away

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:01 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
Maybe I should make a separate thread for my writing rambles.
I played some Rpg Maker demos and had a lot of thoughts about how everyone put the Dark Lord encounter in roughly the same spot. I'm thinking it needed to happen earlier in the story.

You use plot armor to put the hero and villain face2face - for drama's sake. It's better to get information and motivations directly from the source.
But then I was thinking about format issues. Film and Novels have environments to facilitate close shaves and narrow escapes. But not visual novels. I can't think of too many ways to release tension. Like in The Wizard of Oz. Dorthy meets The Witch almost as soon as she steps out the door. The plot armor, the slippers, prevents the Witch from touching Dorthy and ending the story right there. The Witch is forced to walk away and wait. You can do that in a visual novel.

It's harder to do a character hiding in a closet, eavesdropping. With the villains hand on the door knob when someone/something interrupts his search. That's all visual suspense.
I'm trying to think of more exit strategies that would work in a visual novel, without breaking out CG Illustrations.
In The Mummy, Imhotep meets Evelyn in her Hotel room. But Imhotep runs off when he sees a cat.
After sleeping on this problem, I feel dumb. I didn't mean "exit strategy" to be so literal. But I think that's about all you can do in a visual novel scene; have characters enter and exit.

But this is kind of problematic in a dream setting. If Sven were to meet his equivalent of "the dark lord" the story would be over. And why wouldn't he already be there on the other end as soon as Sven answers the phone? That's why I'm being cheap and using my coyote character to lubricate this plot hole. He's the semi-omniscient time-traveling operator/terminator; he just gets to Sven first. But I'm realizing now that delaying this encounter is bad story form. Because when it finally happens it's a bit of an ass-pull. "At last we met. I've been waiting for this moment." But...where? Was he like, lording it over listening to elevator music while on hold or in a waiting room?
Image Image
I think it's funny that without trying to I'm finding myself replicating these design choices and doppelganger business.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 am
Sponsor

Competent Minion
I made an amazing discovery today.
I was experimenting with storing text strings inside game variables since you can use \V[#] to display the contents of a variable in a message. I'd really like to have a system in place that I can just copy and paste my dialogue all at once without the tedious process of copying it over box by box in the event editor.
The problem is that the text string will only show one line and go off the screen. Rpg Maker is dumb and doesn't wrap text because it doesn't know if it's visible or not.

But I found you can add \n in a text string to continue it on the next line. And after 4 lines it starts a new box.
So that's useful to know.

I'm thinking if I write my dialogue ["like this"] ["separating character voice boxes in brackets"] I could easy cycle through them in a loop. And maybe even parse the strings to inject \n where needed. So long as I'm not doing crazy text effects, I think I can safely estimate the character limit per line to pull that off.

Edit: aw, dang it. Most of the string manipulation methods don't work within rpg maker's script blocks. I think because it's actually processing it all as array. Or just the weird way it interprets code from an event processes. I used an ary.shift method once and it surprisingly didn't crash, it stored something in the gameVariable and displayed {|native code|} in the message box. Which I'm pretty sure was something in the Event architecture.

Anyways, what this means is I'd probably have to rig a proper .js plug-in to feed my text through. But at that point it's like, gee, why don't I just rebuild the entire message system from scratch?

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next