Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 90  Next
    Nathaniel3W
  Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:13 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

The characters in my game used to be naked when they took off their armor. Steam recently made developers fill out a form describing very precisely what kind of adult content is in their games. I admitted to nudity, pixellated though it was. And that changed the entire "games like this" list to company I'd rather not be in. So I had to add underwear.

Characters from old saved games may not have the right underwear sprite. For a while, the slimes in the game had bras and panties. That's fixed now, but the dudes still have a surprise for you under their armor.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Slimes with bras and panties? You should leave that in and make them a rare enemy type or something, like a hidden side quest where you have to infiltrate a slime panty party and steal something for a slime that wasn't invited, and when it's done you receive an item which, when equipped, changes your appearance to look like a sexy panty slime and you gain +25% exp from killing slime enemies or something.

... I'd buy that.

Top Top

LaDestitute
  Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:17 am
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

It's been a little while. While i wish I could have made more progress than I did- my computer came down with some issues regarding corrupt dll-files, so i endavoured to reformat. Now that it's done I've done a bunch of work.

Of the optional events for Act 0, which as you see are plentiful~ I've only one left to make, though a few need to be tested and accordingly adjusted.
Once those are all Done, Disk 0 is cleared. Then i may begin focus-devving on Disk 1. This includes a bold amount of work, including but not limited too:
-An end of act cinematic featuring some pretty epic effects.
-What remains of story content, which includes 4 bossfights. I already have good ideas for quite a lot of these.
-Making landable surface area for about 22 or more alien planets.
-Optional Events for Earth and a couple in the surrounding solar system as well.

I think that's actually about it...

I may provide an update when I reach the milestone of clearing all content for Disk 0.

Top Top

HiPoyion
  Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 pm
S Q U E E Z Y T R I G G E R
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Just over a month ago, as part of my uni course, I was put in a team with 2 others from my course and told to make a game using python (and pygame.)
In that time I've learned loads and been defeated several times by my lack of understanding.
Here's what I have to show for it:

It looks incredibly rudimentary, I'm aware, however I'm proud of our work.
Here's what's currently working:
    We have a randomly generated dungeon.
    We have routing in that randomly generated dungeon which ensures it always returns a clearable level.
    We have entities: Players and Enemies.
The players currently:
    Collide with Walls (they can't move past)
    Collide with Pits (puts the player where they entered the level)
    Collide with Doors (generates a new dungeon)
    The entities have a turn system in which (currently) the player goes first followed by each enemy.
    The players and enemies have movement, and incremental animation.
    Players will spawn on the opposing side of the next dungeon in accordance with the door they enter.
What doesn't work?
    As you can see from the video, enemies don't have a form of collision.
    The movement system (while good) doesn't adhere to the initial movement system we wanted for the game (swipe based gestures)
What are we going to work on?
    Enemy collision. They currently are able to walk over pits and leave the map.
    Enemy AI, follow the player or run away???
    A battle system, when the player collides with the enemy they choose as rune (spell) and (for the MVP) the enemy dies. Should the enemy go onto the player then they will return to the start of the level.
    Perhaps a title screen
We have about 3 weeks left on this project and I'm hopeful that more will be done with it but for now we need to tidy our code.

Top Top

LaDestitute
  Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 am
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:04 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I was messing around with some different spriting techniques to get more details faster. Got some interesting results. Ideally I want something consistent to be able to animate a lot of frames.
I keep drawing muscles as a kind of default detail test. Ibut I need to do more materials, like fur and clothing folds. But I'm shit at costume design. I mean beyond basic armor and cloaks, it's hard to come up with some thing thats different and reads on a small scales.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

You want to post some examples, coyote? If you can see muscles in your characters' sprites, then you must be drawing at pretty high resolution. For designs, I often find that I can use random DeviantArt character designs, and just the process of downscaling them changes them enough that my designs end up being unique.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I don't have WiFi to upload anything from my computer a.t.m.

I've got a folder full of cool character designs but they wouldn't work as sprites. I guess my idea of costume design is really ordamental stuff. Laces. Straps. Emblems. But with sprites it's just basic stuff like tunic and cape. I mean half kaiser you can show seams and make attempts at chain mail even. But smaller than that, you might have an outline trim with an accent color, but that's it.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I got into a good flow this morning and did a couple concepts that I think work well with rmxp rtp.
Next I want to make something like medieval scientists. Like, white lab coats that won't look out of place next to plate armor guards.
Outside of people, there's this different conundrum of fantasy world machines. I really hate seeing people use the K-Night Blade resources for those really advanced civilizations one town over. Thankfully anime has plenty of examples with a nice middle ground.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
So I started off just messing around with GIMP's symmetry brush to make this large template analogous to XP.
After drawing stuff on top of it, I go through a technical multi-step downscaling process. Results vary. When it's monochrome some parts come out nearly usable, save some color and contrast adjustment. But even with a fuzzy impression, I have a better idea of how to shade things. This is helpful for animating small movements. For example, if this guy had skulls on his shoulders, they're going to rotate slightly, but on a pixel scale the impression of movement is just a slight change in values. It's a big time saver the eliminates a lot of trail and error with more logical approximations.

ImageImageImageImage

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Medieval scientists. Kind of like the alchemists in my game?

If you want to play around with tons of sprite resources, you're always welcome to do a Himeko Sutori mod. :wink:

I started off trying to do downscaling, but it never turned out well for me. My process was to draw over a template, reduce resolution, then change to indexed color. All of the touch-ups took longer than just drawing the sprites pixel by pixel.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I put together an RMXP project with a bunch of different event systems I've created over the years. Handy to have and just copy and Paste events over. There are no quick events in XP like in later versions. And I've noticed people are really lazy about creating doors and exits. But it makes a huge difference to have doors that swing open, move the character forward and gradually lower the character's opacity to disappear and then transfer the player.

I've got a few script command in the mix for convenience and efficiency. Like, comparing event 2 (X ,Y) coordinates can be done in 1 script line, rather than reading/writing it into variables and using the standard event commands. You'd think Rpg Maker would make an similar method.

The main reason I'm putting this together is to give people presets they can just copy and modify. Like, I see your birds flying sporadically around the map. I've got birds that fly off and scatter as the player runs though them and then land again. Seagulls that look like they're actually riding wind currents. Bats that fly in clusters but aren't flapping in unison. Harpies that swoop around. Bees that zigzag around.

This other developer I was working with had this huge map with 100's of events that ran at like 2FPS because they're all parallel processes. So I made a system that changes event locations by terrain_tags. So instead of a ton of monsters set to walk at random you can have 5 that transfer and transform as the player moves around. And it only needs 1 parallel event.
And in my proof of concept I ended up creating a dynamic companion NPC, that changes event pages with the changing terrain tags which can create different behaviors. For example, they won't follow the player into tall grass if need be.

Some other things I've put together:
  • Ice sliding with only 1 event
  • Premade Pitfalls and floor switches
  • Swamp gas bubbles
  • Red & Blue slime that fuse into a Purple one, then split apart

It's annoying that RMXP only lets you read certain kinds of event data. Like nudging an event's sprite position around would be super simple if you could just change the x and y values. But there is no "x=" or "y=" method in XP like in the other makers. I mean, it would be babies first script to add those methods. I can, I did, but I won't use it for this because I'm focusing more event based things that people can learn from. So RMXP is kinda unreliable in that regard for making copycat events. It's a convoluted mess to get an event to mirror the player, and they'll eventually fall behind.
I'm working on a Prism Puzzle where the player has to navigate multi colored copies of themselves. But it's not foolproof yet.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Competent Minion

Oh I have made SO much progress!

Gameplay and Feature Update.

Phase 1 of the Kara Marx Boss Fight

Interesting seeing how the Boss fight from PFC converts into a new game.

Esperia's portraits are in and they look fantastic, the only one missing so far is alert.

The Disk 0 Content is entirely complete, two new boss fights and another obstacle course and some more scenes are done.

Wi Hellrider ALSO got a portrait. Courtesy of Pjcr
Click image for full size render.

Some sprites were completed too, courtesy of Xiie.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last one without a name is Lyza.

And a new track for the OST, courtesy of Max M. Dominora

So yes, dev is going GOOD!

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Nice sprites, monkey. I think Tristy's ears are set too far back. But then again, Kangaroo ears are weird to draw and imo doesn't read "kangaroo" without other features anyways. (Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing my Avatar with big ear, I feel like Kangaroo ears should be a different shape, even though ears are ears) Plus I kinda liked your stylized cone shaped appendages with a kink at the end, rather than a flap of skin.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Competent Minion

lol yeah Tristy's ears are really strange and xiie (my pixel artist) didnt get the kinda dealie, but i cant be bothered asking for a fix right now, she's drawing lewd stuff now so i dont wanna distract her.

Yesterday I began working on Brisbane and some scenes. Video shows most of that.

Now I will basically have to cease working on further content to go make sure all old content is up to par, fixed and stuff. Then get build 0.1.8 ready for a few testers.
Build 0.2.0 is Demo 2.

In case it wasn't blatantly obvious, many of the portraits shown in that video are placeholders.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I playtested "Meta Revelations: Ring Spirits" recently. It's pretty rough around the edges but I think it has potential. I thought about doing some custom sprites for the developer.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

I just Googled that name. The top videos are from the Mormon Channel.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
From what I've played, only "Ring Spirits" is relevant. There's nothing "meta" or "revealing" otherwise.

I tried out a new imagehost today, Photoland.io. I uploaded some resources I made last year and changed a few thumbnail previews. HBgames' gallery thumbnail generator for only works with png files. I've been using mediafire to host images but mediafire produces a jpg for linking images, although the images will still "save as" png. I think that's part of the reason I've been reluctant to upload anything outside the sketch thread. I didn't want the resource gallery full of -No Image- thumbnails .

Photoland.io came up with an error page like 1 hour after I joined. So I'm not sure how reliable it's going to be.
And it's still down. I feel like I broke it or did something wrong.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:27 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

why not imgur? thats what literally everyone and every site on the internet uses

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:11 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I want permanent hosting. A lot of sites will delete accounts have a year of no activity. And images expire. Imgur, I've read, requires a minimum of 1 view every 6 months or they start deleting stuff to save space.

So with resources and helpful screenshots, I'd like to stay up as long as possible. Photobucket used to be good for that, and even when they ended their 3rd Party hosting, you could still follow links. But now they've gone a step further and slapped a watermark on everything, which was the final straw for me.

Top Top

Xilef
  Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

coyotecraft wrote:
I want permanent hosting. A lot of sites will delete accounts have a year of no activity. And images expire. Imgur, I've read, requires a minimum of 1 view every 6 months or they start deleting stuff to save space.

So with resources and helpful screenshots, I'd like to stay up as long as possible. Photobucket used to be good for that, and even when they ended their 3rd Party hosting, you could still follow links. But now they've gone a step further and slapped a watermark on everything, which was the final straw for me.
Maybe consider paying for your own web server and domain, could be a good step towards some kind of website portfolio if you ever wanted to do that?

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Competent Minion

coyotecraft wrote:

Imgur never actually deletes your images, you just wont have on-site access to them after enough time without viewing them. Also after three years of use i got all my pages of images on easy access.
There's about 200 more. That image count figure is no laughing matter.

Images placed in albums are always accessible, too.

Want proof?
2014. I've not edited that post since. Sure enough I double-checked where the image link took me, an imgur url.

meanwhile all your images are in the
Quote:
state.

I used to use photobucket.

Imgur is just better in every way.

Also here's some screenshots. Wi Hellrider has portraits and I've implemented them, though there's no animations yet.

Top Top

fucbillgates
  Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:06 pm

@BizarreMonkey, Looks epic.

@Nathaniel3W, Looking good, reminds me of Final fantasy Tactics, are you using the hmode 7 script thing to have the 3d style?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:57 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
My image links better be broken. I'd hate to think I deleted my account for nothing.
Also, photoland is still down. I feel bad because I gave them a chance and they're leaving me no choice but to find some thing else. Idk what's up with .io sites. They always seem to be in a constant state of maintenance.

Top Top

LaDestitute
  Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabber Robot

Party Mascot

WIP overworld tiles, just basic grass and dirt only at the moment (16x and 32x)

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

@fucbillgates thanks. No, the game is fully 3D. It's in Unreal Engine 3. I started it about 5 years ago in UDK before Unreal Engine 4 was released. At first I really tried for a Final Fantasy Tactics look, with reduced texture resolution and nearest-neighbor interpolation. But I couldn't find the right meshes to make it work. I could probably make them myself now, but I'm far enough along that I'm just going to finish the game with the high-polygon, high-resolution assets I already have. It was a big challenge to try to get everything to look right, and I'm not sure I've completely nailed it, but it's a lot better than it was a couple of years ago.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 am

Competent Minion

Currently I'm waiting to receive some more feedback for the secret 0.1.8 build of Fantasia I gave to a few testers, the only things found is that beyond the game having an intoxicatingly alluring story that keeps your mind running, your head guessing and your fingers restless- a couple typos and some minor cosmetic issues was the grand sum of issues, also a bug in the Yasondre and Yasondre + Kyoshi fights which was simple enough a mistake. Basically it cheked if both plumes were above 100 of its HP variable (he bariable for enemy hp goes up and starts at 0, what's good about this is that i can simply adjust the health bars pixel x by the damage a monster has taken. Whaqt the error was is that it only gave the lose condition if Plume 1 was down but 2 wasn't, so when some fellows tested the plume 1 wouldn't go down because they didn't get that mechanic and this resulted in the phase transition being repeated ad infinitum until the game was reset with f5. This has already been fixed on my end.

There was also a bug when fighting Yi after failing an attempt at YI, NOSS HP is not reset to 0, so you can get one of the Immoral messenger's Healthbars down to almost nothing and utilize that bootst for the Insidious Architect.

The optional bossfights were about accurate in difficulty, the playtester managed the main storyline bosses of disk 0 just fine, and defeated Kyoshi who is classified as medium difficulty, hard bosses was where he began to show weakness. And Immoral Messenger as well as the Insidious Architect, fairly enough- flattened him. Immoral Messenger even bests me quite a few times before I get her down.

Again I'm informed the writing is pretty awesome, although there's a few chronological mistakes- mostly related to how long ago Yasondre was trapped in stasis, some say 20, some say 12, the correct time is 14 years, mostly it was on that, but there are a few remnants of 12 and 20 ill have to correct.

While I've been waiting, I've not been idly twiddling my thumbs, oh no! In fact I've been experimenting with something I think you will find very, very... interesting!
ImageImage
Suffice it to say I grow tired of PFC's limited 4:3 ratio resolution, so i figure while it will be quite a lot of work, the time has come to change it.

You'll notice that due to the extra width I've been able to pull a Fantasia-worthy dialogue system, the busts won't be animated (unless I suddenly decide they can be) but this will help much with the 'textbos covering the whole screen issue people had with Fantasia's widescreen.

And that's not all!

I have been preparing BOX ART to slap on DVD cases which will house copies of the game (probably just a download / website link since no one has CD-roms anymore.)
ImageImage
ImageImage
The Fantasia one is a little thicker as the spine for it's cases is 14 millimeters, where as the others are 8.

I also am preparing a big marketing ploy for my song and dance thing on the 14th of December, it will double as a charitous marketing opportunity to get the Seventh heaven's name spread around.

A video with me preparing the Fantasia boxart, disk image and me being interviewed. :D

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I've been gnawing on this problem character for months and I finally had a breakthrough when i woke up this morning. The problem was that he was created for a collaboration game. He was to much of a tag-along passive character. No motivations or personal connections to anything. It funny, that's always how collab projects go. You start off with a cardboard cutout character with the expectation that it'll get fleshed out as it exchanges hands. But nobody knows what to do with it, so instead people make their own OCs that dance around it.
I've been asking myself "what is their goal? what drives them?" but I got nothing. So this morning, in sleep delirium, I posed the question "If they were a My Little Pony character, what would be their cutie mark?" and from that I found a kernel, an aspect, to act as the the character's internal compass. And suddenly I knew what their relationship with other characters and the world needed to be so I could tie it all together.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Are you working on a collab game at the moment then?

I had a few break throughs with some Gameboy Advance related technology, specifically I wrote an ELF loader that can dynamically link & load executable code into whatever chunk of memory you want, which solves a major concern I had about some of the GBA architecture and how existing compile tools treat it.

I'm doing some preliminary reading and testing around the idea of potentially making an RPG for the GBA. I consider it cheaper than doing on for RPG Maker MV as there's less of a demand for technology on the GBA and the fact that it is a GBA game this side of the decade is a selling point.

I think it would be a good candidate for a community, collaborative game and I can see a path to market being selling collectable material. Game box with manual, cartridge, USB drive and poster. The ROM should probably be free with a donation incentive: Donate money, get to transfer something special to your game via PC transfer app and GameCube link cable + USB adapter, maybe a save file editor for those running emulator/flash cart.

I'll be doing a bit more reading and thinking about this, but I'd like to get to a point where I can propose a rough outline and plan for a community collaboration here.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 90  Next