Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

moxie
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:25 am
singin potatoes

Say you have a beautiful, unique little snowflake of a game. It could be the funnest, cleverest, emotional, most mind-blowing experience known to man, but chances are if it's not marketed properly you'll probably have a grand total of fifteen people play it.

The discussion in the "What Kind of Game Hits?" topic got me started thinking about how essential good exposure and marketing is for indie games, and made me remember a good article on the subject. Though a lot of the tips are common sense, it still makes for a good read.

So go read it! Now! What are you waiting for? Go!

The blog part in particular rings true. Depending on your area of expertise, blog about that and you'll draw attention from more than just the "game dev" community. Are you a good pixel artist? Insert some helpful tutorials in between updates of your game. Writer? Try some game reviews or articles about the industry. Someone might come there just for your other features and discover your game.

What are some of your ideas for good or unique marketing? What kind of advertisement draws you in, gets you genuinely interested? Considering the low-to-zero budget many of us have, can you think of any particularly creative ways to get word out there?

Top Top

friend
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 am
mmoooo

Well, you could always invest some cash in advertising ( The banners, its effective, y'know what I mean )

Look at how RuneScape is successful, it advertised through miniclip and lots of people ( including me ) got to know about that game.
:)

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:57 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Has anyone else heard of Evony? Brilliant advertising, however misleading their adds are. Although I can't ever say I played it after clicking.

Pretty good article.

My advice would be to our members, branch away from our community. Most of us use RM, which is perfectly fine, but that kinda means one thing, we are all making our own games that we want to be the next big thing. Branch out into other communities and this means not another forum dedicated to RPG Maker. You really are advertising to the same people as quite a few people are members everywhere (I can think I have probably joined 30 different forums for RPG Maker).

Google (Youtube) and Yahoo are good places to look into. Think about it. Google has basically become the internet. It does a lot more than provide search queries or they wouldn't pay people for the things they do.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
I fucking hate Evony's ads. I resent the blatant pandering to horny teens when the game has nothing to do with scantily clad babes. Like, seriously, if your game is good, you should not have to stick naked girls all over it. Have a little respect for your work. :I

They were certainly successful insofar as getting my attention goes, though! But I can't say I ever clicked on the ads, and I will never play that game solely because of them.

Top Top

DeM0nFiRe
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Perihelion wrote:
I fucking hate Evony's ads. I resent the blatant pandering to horny teens when the game has nothing to do with scantily clad babes. Like, seriously, if your game is good, you should not have to stick naked girls all over it. Have a little respect for your work. :I

They were certainly successful insofar as getting my attention goes, though! But I can't say I ever clicked on the ads, and I will never play that game solely because of them.

lol, the ads make it look to me like it's being pushed on horny middle aged dudes with no life. But in any case, I feel the same way. That's why I stopped using godaddy, and that's why I didn't bother applying when Evony opened a job in my area.

) # $ ) ) #
^ $ & % $ ( # @*
# ) * % ) $

Top Top

Zekallinos
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:53 pm
I defy gravity.
Sponsor

In fact, they were so successful that there a huge selection on articles on the ad themselves :P. I have to wonder how much player they did get with that though, as when I clicked after seeing that add for the 100th time, it really didn't look interesting.

I can think of how having a blog and being somewhat known brings a lot of traffic your way. Now the question becomes, how do you make a good blog? You want the people to bookmark it so that they'll visit every now and then, or else, you'd release a game and everybody has forgotten you already.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I don't think they are saying "successful" blog as much as "blog with lots of keywords so google picks it up in their search results", people see a variety of things that might interest them, and they end up seeing a game demo or something.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

friend
  Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 am
mmoooo

actually I was about to say the same things about Evony,

looks like a plain old browser game to me...

but seriously, their spamming women showing their boobs everywhere.

oh and I'm moving out of godaddy once my domain expires, too many "hot" ( or so called by godaddy ) girls in there

Top Top

Amy
  Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Marketting is definately the reason people play some RM games and don't play others. As well as a community around it, of course; be that an external forum or a very active forum thread. Back when I was making Vengeance there were several members who only came to .org to chat in that thread.

But yeah. A catchy logo, a good designer or good design team for banners and sigs and userbars, and good friends and connections who have a history of marketing are definately needed to make your game big.

Advertising on portals such as Big Fish works, but having a well lain out project thread that is enticing and captivating rather than just descriptive really works. Something easy to read but that doesn't tell the player everything in the game, so they have to play it to find out the secrets... hmm.

Top Top

friend
  Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am
mmoooo

Basically, if you did some cool work that is revolutionary and spent on it for 10 years and sell it for only 1 USD.

But if you make no efforts to advertise it.

Your hard works have gone all down to the drain.

Top Top

friend
  Wed May 12, 2010 1:17 pm
mmoooo

Just for the record

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4570-evony/

Top Top

Amy
  Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That is :X

That's worse than Guild Wars's marketting. At least the characters on the GW covers actually appear in the game.

Top Top