Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

bacon
  Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:27 am
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
Viewpoint & Camera Angle

Every 3-D and even 2-D games have some sort of viewpoint or camera angle. This might be directly behind the character, while other times in may be 3rd person omniscient view. Sometimes the game allows you to control the camera, others not. So:

Topics of Discussion:
  • What is you favorite type of camera angle
  • Do you like to control the camera
  • How does the camera angle affect the whole game
  • How so

Top Top

rTochtli
  Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 am

Depends on the genre really, RTS/RPGwise an overhead view works great while for an action/adventure you'd need a camera you can adjust quickly.

I find it that in action/adventure games like AssCreed 2, where you're supposed to go fast in an obstructed landscape (like a city) the camera zooms in way too close way too soon. In action-packed games like these that have controllable camera it'd get really annoying if the controls were sluggish or otherwise unresponsive.

Then again there are games like Uncharted 2 and the God of War-series that just seem to get everything right. In Uncharted 2 you aim with the camera, so even when you aren't shooting you can still pull off shots in the direction you're looking at if it's required.
And in GoW the camera follows your movements, showing you exactly what you need to see (most of the time...). It's programmed near-perfectly.

I'd have a lot more to say about the overhead camera, how I feel it'd help navigating around new maps to NOT have more control over it other than zooming in and out, but I gotta work now. Yeah.

Top Top

regi
  Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 am
raptor king
Sponsor

For some reason, I really dislike the complete birds-eye view (i.e. you're looking STRAIGHT DOWN and all you can see is your character's head and limbs when he walks). It's just not very pleasing to the eye, graphic-wise. If you're going for top-down, at least try it at an angle, like the RMXP RTP manages.

For moving camera views, I generally like the game to control it for you. (When camera and movement are separate:) It's too much to manage if you have to move around AND adjust the camera at the same time, especially if there is some sort of time constraint or an attacking monster. That said, for some kinds of (mini)games it's a nice addition to be able to control the view (I'm thinking of shooters or minigames where you have to aim at a target, e.g. an FPS or Zelda when targeting with a bow/hookshot/etc).

Top Top

Ganstaquay5000
  Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 am
So Long As You Believe

I really don't like the First person shoot game views because you can really see what's behind, to the left, or to the right of you. I like to actually see the character that I am controlling.

I'm also not to fond of the RE4 camera either. I wanted to see the whole character rather than just half of him. I prefer the common RPG camera views so I can see the character that I am using. THe thing is, in certain places you can't really rotate the camera. It's not that big of a deal but I remember in Star Ocean Til the end of time, no matter where I was I had the option of rotating the camera round and round.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun May 02, 2010 10:58 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I quite like er... not sure how it would be described, but Final Fantasy 7's style of backdrops. Drawn pre-rendered images, but not necessarily of the same scale.

Top Top

bacon
  Sun May 02, 2010 6:09 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
I liked it overall but there were some parts where I had a problem distinguishing between characters and backdrop.They blend in too much. Again, this want all the time, but places like the prostitution house section or something along those line I had a tough time seeing.

I sort of like the Dark Cloud approach to camera angles or Zelda. You can see the back of your character, yet its almost first person in a way. You can see everything and overall its more realistic than a totally zoomed out camera.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
When playing RuneScape my first cause of action is always to hold the up arrow until it stops moving. With Guild Wars I generally scroll out fully.

Top Top

action
  Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 am

Personally, I like isometric, but when it comes to controls, going up-right-up-right over and over again gets old, and having the arrows keys up=upright left=leftdown ect. it gets confusing.
As well, I like larger sprites, as with those it's more visually appealing to me. But if you do it right, smaller RTP sized sprites can look just as good.
The view that I hate is second person and first person. I suppose they work best for a shooter, but you could make just as great of a game with 3rd person.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I dislike isometric because the 4 directional movement keys don't make any sense then. You either move against the grain of the map (straight up down left right) or the up key doesn't go up, rather up-left, or up-right, which just leads to a lot of confusion in my head.

I'm sure it can work somehow, it just doesn't in most games I've played.

Top Top

candle
  Tue May 18, 2010 3:03 pm
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

It would work if you allowed 8-directional movement.

As far as my general preference for camera angles goes, I don't really care as long as it makes sense.

Top Top