Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:44 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
So I don't know if anyone else here is studying anything computer games related, I thought I'd make an ask me thread.

Ask anything you like.

I am currently in my second year of a Computer Games Programming BSc/hons degree.

Top Top

moog
  Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 am
Sponsor

can you only use this degree for a video game job, or can it be the equivelant of a computer sci degree? also, why do you use xbox for most of your work?

Top Top

Toams
  Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:00 am
THAT foreigner
Sponsor

yeah 'mouse' i don't really know what it's like studying that, could you give us a quick overview of the ins-and-outs?
I knew you were using XNA and stuff but WHY

what do you DO as a CGP?

Top Top

Jaberwoky
  Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:17 am
ゆっくりしていってね!!

I am taking a computer game programming course wherein the course designers assumed 'game programming' was the same thing as 'game making' and so it has very little to do with programming anything :|

I assume CGP is similar to regular programming, only with more of a focus on the aspects used in games, like AI and physics and other mathematics.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:26 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
xbox/xna doesn't come until this year actually, I am not sure how that will work.

Quote:
can you only use this degree for a video game job, or can it be the equivelant of a computer sci degree?

It can be used for any job but obviously it's the specific little bits that the employers want to know about. It isn't as generic as computer science, but since it has modules in C++ and such a lot of employers want it.

Quote:
what do you DO as a CGP?

Year one was a bit... generic. One module of game design, one of C, and two computer science modules.

Year two is getting a bit more CGP oriented.

C++ programming for games
Artificial Intelligence and Modelling
Introduction to Graphics and Modelling
Databases

Databases sounds a bit generic but it's all linking together and such.

Quote:
I am taking a computer game programming course wherein the course designers assumed 'game programming' was the same thing as 'game making' and so it has very little to do with programming anything :|

My course is entirely programming oriented, besides one or two modules that link it with other things, and the first year which was designed to easily shift from one computing course to another if we decided against it.

The programming is done largely in C/C++ in the year I am in. In year one it was really just an introduction to C, but the C++ this year is supposed to be full on programming.

I don't know where XNA will link in there. They may have even decided against it.

All the things we do are finalized right before we start so that everything is current and relevant to the industry at that time.

Top Top

friend
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 pm
mmoooo

Is being a game designer harder or a programmer harder

just dont die

Top Top

DeM0nFiRe
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Haha, being a good game designer and being a good programmer are just as hard as each other, because they both require responsible design. That's something that very few people ever develop, and that's the reason there's not more minecraft in the world :P

Err, sorry to hijack your thread mouse but I had to answer that one XD

But that's cool that your program is actually programming. Like Jaberwocky said, most that I've seen are just called game programming and have little to do with programming.

) # $ ) ) #
^ $ & % $ ( # @*
# ) * % ) $

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:00 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
To put that into a little bit of context one module this year is "C++ for games programming" which involves us making games in pure C++ without an engine.

Just used the new games studio and it is bumfucking amazing. 30'' screens, a mixture of Dell XPS, Acer Predator, and Alienware machines (about 20 of each), a full 3D environment (polarised screen for two projectors), several of each current gen console, etc. And it's exclusive to my course (and a couple of other games related courses such as game art).

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:34 pm
I'm back. And this time, I mean it!
Sponsor

What uni is that?

I now play D&D 3.5. It's fun!

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:58 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
DeMontfort Leicester (www.dmu.ac.uk)

Top Top

DeM0nFiRe
  Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm

OHHHHH you were the person in IRC before who said something about a game studio at DMU before. Haha, I thought you were some random person who went to Des Moines University I was like "Who the hell wants to go to Iowa?"

) # $ ) ) #
^ $ & % $ ( # @*
# ) * % ) $

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:23 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Any more questions? I'm further into the course now.

Top Top

regi
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:59 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Have you learned any lessons or tricks regarding gammaking that you would have never discovered on your own?

How flexible is the program you use? Do you find C/++ an easy language to use (in terms of gammaking, not programming), or do you prefer another? What program would you suggest that supports C/++?

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:07 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
One thing is that most of the big libraries that we are using are created cross-platform - we use them in C++ but they are also usable in other languages such as Ruby. SFML is what we are using.

We are currently using Visual Studio, so highly flexible. C++ is rather complicated from Ruby but I guess it is more powerful. I much prefer Ruby, it is prettier and more logical, however that prettiness comes at high costs.

What program?

Visual Studio is highly OTT and we are only using it because it is an industry standard and I think we are moving onto XNA and such.

I recommend Codeblocks as it is free and highly functional.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:09 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The main thing I have picked up is the definition of a game is different to everyone, especially professors. One wouldn't let us create explorable worlds with no content; the other would.

Current professor says the word game is essentially meaningless and just means events with an input and a response forming a program. The primary goal has to be enjoyment, but that is all.

My other professor from last year said a game had to have a clear end goal and preferably sub goals, and there must be a win condition and a lose condition, whatever they are, even if it is just a gameover screen.

Top Top

Dahrkael
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm
VOC@LOID #01

mouse wrote:
I recommend Codeblocks as it is free and highly functional.

I recommend Codelite as it is free and highly functional. And its not abandoned.

or 3D?
Content Hidden

Top Top

Toams
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 pm
THAT foreigner
Sponsor

mouse wrote:
Just used the new games studio and it is bumfucking amazing. 30'' screens, a mixture of Dell XPS, Acer Predator, and Alienware machines (about 20 of each), a full 3D environment (polarised screen for two projectors), several of each current gen console, etc. And it's exclusive to my course (and a couple of other games related courses such as game art).

Pix?

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'll try and find some

Top Top