Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

bacon
  Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:25 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
Area Sizes

In most every RPG, areas are split between load time or even a change in geography. Some areas are larger and other areas are smaller. Some developers like to split up their areas into smaller units, games such as Monster Hunter and the Metroid Series, while other games give you one large area instead of it being split up.

So the questions are:
  • When making games, do you prefer making larger or smaller areas. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Explain.
  • When playing games, do you prefer to see one giant area or several smaller areas? Advantages or disadvantages? Is there a general medium? Explain.

Top Top

K.matt
  Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 pm
Beep!

Warnings: 1
Personaly i preffer the realy huge area's because they enable you to go on much bigger adventure's and tangests exploring the world more than just this small definded path that that game's storyline needs.

that said though alot of people can find it hard to do like that because it can easly distract the player exploring and lose thereway on the storyline so it dosent work well unless the storyline is well constructed so the player alway's know's where he/she needs to go.

Small however inside houses

Chck out this mmorpg, joining & playing from this link also helps me https://secure.dofus.com/en/godfather-fortunes-account-creation/kmattt18

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I love huge areas BUT they have to be well mapped. What I personally do is map small areas in 20x15 maps, copy and paste them all into a larger map, and then "blur" the edges with some more mapping. This way there are no "filler" areas, everything is consistent and full of life.

That said my current project has every exterior map as 40x40.

Top Top

RobinP
  Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:46 pm

From a technical standpoint, small maps are easier on the system. If you're sending data around based on map number (Which I am) then large maps means larger amounts of data being sent which may not be necessary if a player is a long way away from anyone else.

From a gameplay perspective, I like large maps if they have a clear way through them. You can't just dump the RTP grass over a 1000x1000 map and expect it to look good. It requires a lot of planning and making a map of that size flow properly is very difficult. At least, from my own experience. I'm sure there are plenty of mappers who are much, much better than I am who can do this in their sleep.

Top Top

Mr_Smith
  Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 am
There is no IRL, only AFK.

When I make a map myself, I find it much easier to have a map that fits exactly on one screen, so 50x28 atm, I believe. It gives me alot better overview of what I´ve done so far.
However, when playing games, I prefer big maps, as it´s just alot more fun to walk around in.

#1 - Whenever you're thinking of ANYTHING throughout the day, post it on the forums
#2 - Even if you have nothing to say, post in PWOYM anyway, even a simple emote counts!
#3 - "accidentally" double/triple/quadruple post
#4 - Break your posts up into more than one at a time
#5 - Make pointless threads, such as this one
#6 - Start or encourage arguments as often as possible
#7 - Welcome all new members, even if you don't want to
#8 - Bump threads by asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to
#9 - Necropost in really old threads to get the activity going again
#10 - Troll EVERYONE

To quote Venetia: "note: following numbers 8-10 will result in your meteoric post count rise ending"

Top Top

Pokémaniac
  Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:36 pm
Awesome Bro

I like small maps for adventure games, so it's easier to see all of your options, and big, but well-marked maps for RPGs.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'm an explorer so the bigger the better but it's GOT to be detailed all the way through with no filler, and it cannot be linear. There has to be variation. Even if that's just two different routes around the map, some dead ends, a town you don't access on the main journey, or just some hidden treasure in (nicely planned and lain out) dead ends.

Top Top

K.matt
  Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:38 am
Beep!

Warnings: 1
i think we have worked out that everyone preffer's to make small map's and everyone preffer's to play in big one's as a genral rule XD

& mr poke i think adventure game's also need big one's other wise you cant go and ahve your own little adventure ^^

Chck out this mmorpg, joining & playing from this link also helps me https://secure.dofus.com/en/godfather-fortunes-account-creation/kmattt18

Top Top

Thula
  Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 pm

I like big maps (not enormous though), but not big for the sake of being big.
I think it's important fot a map that when you walk and walk and the thing doesn't look always the same.

Size prefernces aside, I think it's nice to have a fair amount of middle/small maps in between big areas.

Top Top