Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
    Sailerius
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:24 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

I put together some userbars featuring the playable characters as of now. :)

Top Top

Reives
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:24 am
Sponsor

It makes me a sad panda that such a hard-laboured project gets so little replies. D: There are some very interesting things here.

Top Top

Diedrupo
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:27 am
Sponsor

im waiting for the fixed demo personally, so the experience isnt ruined! (havent had much time to play other projects this past couple weeks)

Top Top

Sailerius
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Diedrupo wrote:
im waiting for the fixed demo personally, so the experience isnt ruined! (havent had much time to play other projects this past couple weeks)

It's going to be a while...perhaps a month at most.  I plan to add a few new areas, including a few extra scenes after the current ending.

Top Top

Delmaschio
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:12 pm

I have played your demo. A few days ago, just now have the time to post.
It is really short, I wish there was more to play and see.
However, the game offers a really nice atmosphere, and for the little I could see, interesting characters and great dialogue.

The Mapping is good too. The pallete you're using add a nice effect too.
Well, it's a good demo, and hopefully the full game will be too.
I wish you good luck on this. I'll be waiting for the full release, even though it will take quite a long time, I presume.

Top Top

Rare
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm
"bethany cut it out i amt rying to work here !!" - lol trollin' you since day 1 friend

Top notch!  I enjoyed the short, but fun demo throughly.  I hope to see the full version out very soon!

Top Top

Sailerius
  Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:00 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Though I hate giving estimates, I'd predict that the polished demo will be ready by the end of the month and that the final version of Act I will be out sometime in late spring.

I guess now would be as good a time as any to explain the 'acts.'  The game will be released in four chapters, referred to as Acts.  Acts II and IV are by far the longest.  I isn't too long, and much of the design for it has already been completed.  For the most part, all that remains is to map (I HATE MAPPING) it and get the new voiceovers.

Top Top

Rare
  Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:01 am
"bethany cut it out i amt rying to work here !!" - lol trollin' you since day 1 friend

For someone who hates mapping you do a pretty good job.

Top Top

Sailerius
  Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:56 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Heh, thanks... Oh yeah, and we also got a lovely new piece of fanart, this one of Serijala.
http://i16.tinypic.com/8e8dx68.jpg[/img]

Top Top

Varelse
  Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:15 am

This game is so amazing. <3 I can't wait for the new demo!

And, I didn't think an alibaas chick could be so...^_~

Top Top

Lusus Naturae
  Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm

I haven't had much time to look around the boards on my wonderful 56k. Is there any place designated for member reviews? (I won't be the nicest guy in the world, but I did enjoy what the demo presented.)

Top Top

Sailerius
  Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Uhm...I don't think there is, not since the RRRB closed.

Top Top

Sailerius
  Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Just wanted everyone to know that this isn't dead.  A more finalized demo, with the revamped battle system and several new scenes is under production and there just hasn't been much to report lately.

Top Top

Aurain
  Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am

Good demo, But the constant clip clopping of the moving SE gets a bit annoying.

Top Top

boon
  Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 am
"What's this, Hubert?"

Just tested and completed the demo, and it seems very good. Especially like the story ideas, and playing as the leader.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z94/Boonzeet/5-1.gif[/img]

Demo happens to ends a bit short though  :cry: I really want to know what happens next!

twirly is a faggot

Top Top

Dagger
  Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 am
Day Dreamer

I enjoyed the demo a lot ^^ Your voice actors are great and very clean (you can hear them with out a problem).
Battle system is great and love the atmosphere that you give off.
Good luck with this ^_^

Top Top

Sailerius
  Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Quote:
I enjoyed the demo a lot ^^ Your voice actors are great and very clean (you can hear them with out a problem).
Battle system is great and love the atmosphere that you give off.
Good luck with this ^_^

Thank you!  The voiceover quality seems to get a diversity of responses...it seems for some people they come across very cleanly but for others they don't.  Strange.

Top Top

boon
  Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm
"What's this, Hubert?"

It depends on where you are in the game.

Some parts are odd where they say something and then theres no voice... then they say something else and there is.

The voices are mostly clean until the end where it gets a tad fuzzy.

Still, a very gripping demo, and an amazing cliffhanger that makes me want the complete game.

twirly is a faggot

Top Top

Eriol Clowphengire
  Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:59 am
Hard Rock saves the Space

I liked this game for great production efforts showered here. I enjoyed the voice acting feat you pulled and that gave me a feel that I'm watching CSI, Heroes or 24. As for the battle system, it's a great one but there's something weird about the guards, they were bleeding if they guard or something. The mapping's superb especially on the complex and in the town but there seems to be a tile problem in the title screen. I don't know if anyone noticed it but I did.

Jollyflower Digipieces gives this game a...
"Tadah!"

Top Top

Sailerius
  Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Added a few new pieces of fanart.  The second (and final) demo is in the works and might be out by the end of the month.  Expect new screenshots soon.

Top Top

Lusus Naturae
  Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 am

I've finally decided to post a player review. Here goes nothing...

Storyline:
From what I already know and what was shown in the demo, I can say I'm satisfied with how the story is turning outâ ‚¬ €yes, very little has been shown so far, but it was the way it's been shown. I don't know many other games that let you play the villain at the outset before the "boring exposition section" begins, and I feel that adds a bit of spice to the interesting formula of having action followed by exposition. The whole shutting-down-the-power-to-leave thing seemed a little strange, but then at least you didn't have a load-bearing boss many RPGs seem to fall back on in times of dire need. (I'll give you credit for that.) Another thing that was rather odd was Officer Tearson's line about not hurting at the ending segment; it was a little vague, and I do hope it'll be explained or hinted at later. All in all, good story, good concept, and you manage quite well to avoid most of the trappings of RPGs.

Gameplay:
In the starting dungeon and the town to follow, it plays about like any two-dimensional RPG does, and I like that there are no random encounters a great deal. (Here's hoping the entirety of the game follows that example.) I also like the random little interactions you can have between characters and the field, like the morbid musings of Sandarga as you examine the many bodies you encounter, the use of the skills in the town segment with Auria, and the hidden item you can obtain by moving a certain object in a certain way...

That said, the battle system feels extremely awkward at this point, but it works. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like I'm getting one attack to the three of the guards in the battles you do fight.  I went through my first battle, wondering why my other party members weren't attacking while one was, until I found that you actually had to pick which one of them got to attack in each round, rather than in turns. I don't know if this was intended or not, but it seems like three level 25 characters would be getting multiple moves apiece before their level 1 or 5 enemies even got to take their turn.

Save points; boy was it nice to see them. Even if it is just a demo, some people don't have the leisure of even the 45 minutes or so it'll take to complete the demo, and I was glad to see that saving was added for their sake.

The skills are a good touch, but it should probably be alluded to by means of some kind of prompt that you should update your skills. Also, dumping 80 and 12 points into skills a point at a time is quite a hassle. If it's at all possible, I'd like to see a way to deposit them in greater quantities than just one.

The town itself seems to have confused a couple players, for even with that tiny sign beside what appears to be a cliff overlooking a town below, many people won't realize: "Oh, hey! This is the path to the rest of the town!" Just put a little blinking/spinning/gyrating/dancing arrow just before the end of the path to indicate that there is more that way and it's not a sheer drop into another town below.

Graphics:
This is arguably the crux of Contention at this point, given that the story has yet to begin and the music is yet incomplete or looking to be completely changed. On the whole, the environments look great and effects like rust and blood-spattered walls really bring the first segment together. The field animations aren't bad, but something about the part where you could swim bothered me: rather than actually having Auria hop into the water and swim to get something, it's just "implied" that she dives in and gets something. If at all possible, maybe work on that tiny irksome detail.

The characters look good, especially the battle sprites. I was really impressed that you went the extra mile and had scale battle sprites rather than the typical "two gigantic heads tall" super-deformed sprites. (I'm not just waiting to see if the battle sprites will be fully animated or minimally, obviously hoping for the former.) The battle animations are a little off-kilter somehow, like they don't exactly fit; this is most easily noticed on the Guard animation, and sometimes damage numbers seem to pop in and out.

From an artistic standpoint, the character artwork is highly inconsistent. You have characters like Auria and Weapon, whose artwork looks great (apart from Weapon's jumpsuit), and then you have Vastale and Sandarga, whom I could hardly believe were even drawn by the same artist. This isn't to say that they all look bad (but Vastale's anatomy makes him look like either a child or an extremely effeminate man, and judging by his voice, I think that's unintentional). On the contrary, Sandarga looks fine, apart from appearing to have been drawn by someone else entirely.

Sound:
This is the part we'll all hate me for, but ah well. What can I say?

The sound on the character voices is very muffled or broken up at times, and some lines don't play at all while the very next line will (I know Vastale isn't intended to actually speak, so that can be excused), but this may not be such a bad thing, considering some of what you actually can hear. None of the voice actors are professionals, and it really shows that few of them have any experience whatsoever. Ranksmith sounds as if he's trying not to laugh and has a bad cold. Sandarga, to be honest, doesn't sound bad, so much as she sounds like she overemphasizes a syllable here and there, and that takes away from the effect of the lines. Auria, I rather liked. Her voice sounds natural, and she sounds as irritable or indifferent as I'd expect a teenage girl from a small town to. Examiner... Oh, lord. I wasn't aware you had any Sonic Adventure voice actors in Contention, and quite frankly, I just can't say enough... Please, re-cast this one. As for Officer Tearson, he doesn't sound bad so much as miscast. He sounds about ten or fifteen years too young, and he doesn't come off as gruff and ill-mannered as he was reputed to be.

The music, from what there was, wasn't bad. Not outstanding, considering it came direct from the RMXP program or from a sample site, but it at least fit where it was placed.

As for environmental sound... Well, the footsteps, which have lately been removed, wereâ ‚¬ €How would I describe this?â ‚¬ €funny and/or annoying beyond all reason. Doors, elevators, etc. They all sound like they belong where they are, though the cell phone ringingâ ‚¬ €it is a cell phone, rightâ ‚¬ €sounded a little out of place. Try recording an actual cell phone ringtone and see if it comes to about the sound quality you were hoping for.

Overall:
I'm not astounded by the progress so far, but I am impressed by it. It came together, yes, but not as well as I'd been hoping. But when it comes right down to it, this is a project I can't wait to see more of, and I'm quite eager to see how it grows into a completed game. Keep up the good work, but kick it up a notch or two in some areas, lest they bring you down.

Score: 7/10 (Good)

Last edited by Lusus Naturae on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sailerius
  Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:09 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Thanks for the honest review. :)

First of all, I'd like to show off an awesome new piece of fanart by ebenaventa:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/650/ ... arttr9.jpg[/img]

And also, a screenshot showing the revamped battle system:
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/ ... jectBC.png[/img]

Top Top

Wandering Fenix
  Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:00 am

Well, I just finished a quick run-through of your team's demo and I was thoroughly impressed.

Because I did a quick run I know that I missed some of the extras, but I think that the essentials were enough to get me salivatin'.  :thumb:

I didn't much care for the loud clip-clopping of feet while I was going down the halls. Maybe tone it down a bit? The voice acting was a pleasant surprise although, and I'm not sure if it's on my end or yours- maybe both, the quality was lacking. And, maybe just me, but I would like to be able to "walk" at a slightly faster pace. Especially when there's quite a bit of ground to cover.

That cliffhanger's got me at the edge of my seat. Great job on the demo. I look forward to seeing the next installment.

Top Top

Airose
  Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 am

Where have I seen Rayonne before..?

http://i19.tinypic.com/7y33hns.png[/img]

Legend of Harpine
-----------------
1% Complete

Top Top

Sailerius
  Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:03 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't much care for the loud clip-clopping of feet while I was going down the halls. Maybe tone it down a bit? The voice acting was a pleasant surprise although, and I'm not sure if it's on my end or yours- maybe both, the quality was lacking. And, maybe just me, but I would like to be able to "walk" at a slightly faster pace. Especially when there's quite a bit of ground to cover.

Fortunately, those are all issues that have been resolved in the new demo. XD That and the ability to skip messages.

Quote:
Where have I seen Rayonne before..?

Uh...I don't know, unless you've seen some of our fanart before.  All the characters are completely original.

Last edited by Sailerius on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sailerius
  Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:30 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Couple of updates.  First, I'd like to announce the opening of the official EPIC: Contention site: http://projectbc.wordpress.com

Secondly, two new pieces of fanart:
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/ ... fd95c0.jpg[/img]

And the second is too big to paste directly here:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/8116 ... inalan.jpg

Top Top

Seafoam
  Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm

I really enjoyed it  :thumb:
but I did notice a few minor glitches

Top Top

Sailerius
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:38 am
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Two new screenshots!  Both of them are of May Hill, the third neighborhood of East Naven.

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/ ... jectBC.png[/img]
Resting after a long day of shopping.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/ ... jectBC.png[/img]
The fence that kept the world out.

Top Top

zeldrak
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:55 am
Graphic Designer

this looks very professional, i'm keeping an eye out for this project's success, and will give my support :D

PS3 Trophies

Top Top

Lusus Naturae
  Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm

It's looking good. Hopefully the new demo ships out on time. I'm looking forward to the new music and visuals.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next