Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

Aerif
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Tries to kill cliches, not very well

Please note that although this is a Final Fantasy VII based fan game it has had measures taken for it to remain uncliched, yes there is amnesia, but what kind of insane person would you need to be to follow around a young woman around half the world if you didn't have some sort of mental issues.

This project has officially slowed down due to me getting a PS3 and getting into Uni to study professional games desingn. Therefore your replies to this topic may not be processed as quickly as you'd like :P.

Storyline

The Remains of AVALANCHE

Characters

Timeline of Universe

Early Screenshots

Current Screenshots

Video

Demos

Canon

Copyright

Last edited by Aerif on Fri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Top Top

second_crimson
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:20 pm

I must say I was terrified coming in to this topic. I was afraid this was gonna be another "OMG CLOUD IS IN TIS HE USES LOTS OF MATERIA ALSO SEPHIROTH COMES BACK AGAIN!" So thank you for killing off many of the characters and keeping this about setting and everything.

That being said, there's not too much information to go on. What sort of game will this be? RPG, I'm assuming? How will the battles pan out? ATB-style, Action RPG? Will materia make a return, and in what capacity? Some more information on the world's current state would be awesome.

How will class effect things? Will that just be a guideline to limits and weapons, like in FF7, or can we expect a combination Job-Materia system (in which case I may have to wet myself with glee).

My avatar is grammatically incorrect ON PURPOSE. It's called irony. Maybe if you weren't so concerned with correcting people or assuming that someone you don't know knows nothing of grammar, then maybe you'd see that.

Top Top

Zarnik
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Cloud got married, lol I can picture it in my mind :lol: And Cid turned into a doctor, hmm you will probably have to change that. It ´s just not possible....and everyone else died. Ok so it ´s marlene who is the new leader of avalance and she along with some others will take shinra down. Sounds good, but I ´l miss Sephiroth...and what about Denzel, did he die too?

Top Top

moog
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 pm
Sponsor

Fucking thank you for this. I love this topic for being the uncliche (somewhat) for once.

My eyes are on this project.

Top Top

Aerif
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:35 pm

The Battle system is still something I need to work out, as is the menu system, though any help in those departments would be much obliged.

I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but this is something like my 3rd attempt to manipulate the story into a game. The first attempt used the FFX-2 Style menu but I don't really know if I could implement that again, the only reason the first attempt was never published was because of my horrible, horrible mapping.

Materia is still present, I garauntee this will be implemented in some shape, or form. It's really important to the story and to character development so it will still be there. Originally, it was found in events and taught to a character only once, but if I can I'll change the system.

Cid being a doctor, just seems like a good idea too me. I know it doesn't sound right but he was the world's premier mind on rocket science, also, he could probably pay for a PhD out of the money he made traveling the world  :lol:

When the storyline of this project began, the UK was yet too see a realease of Advent Children. Therefore, Denzel probably won't be in the series, nor will any other spin-off characters. Spin-off's are nice, but I usually don't like to call them canon.

@Tokyokenshin: Thanks for the compliments, I spent a lot of time doing market research to see what RMXP.org thought about FFVII fan games, and you seemed to be a prevailant poster on most. Your acceptence of the non-clicheness is touching  :smile:

Top Top

Airose
  Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:59 pm

I dont think the classes are to the FFVII canon at all.

Warrior should be turned into soldier.
Gunner should be turned into soldier
Mage and Cleric? I understand cleric.. follower of jenova or some kinda ffvii religion but Mage?

Also.. all of the main characters dead? Did the black guy die first?

In Dirge of Cerebus Cloud was quite alive.. even if it took place in the future after the whole Shinra thing. Advent Children? Alive...

How is it FFVII-2 without the characters of FFVII?

You minus well make a transformers movie and make it about a boy and a girl... and have a few cameos from the original transformers.

http://i19.tinypic.com/7y33hns.png[/img]

Legend of Harpine
-----------------
1% Complete

Top Top

JakeyZombie
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:24 am

I actually really like the looks of this project, surprisingly. There are a few spelling and grammatical errors throughout the topic, but that's not the biggest deal. What struck me as strange was that you integrated Al Bhed into the Final Fantasy 7 universe. It just doesn't seem right to me, considering the fact that although the series may be related by name they all take place in different worlds. Aside from that, everything's looking like it's coming along nicely.

Okay, I think it's called FFIV-2 because she's using that games particular world, and some of the old characters. Who are you to say what's right and wrong? Stop bitching, it's their game, let them do it the way they want to do it. Using all of the same characters is boring anyways.

Top Top

Larynni
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:36 am
Level 15 Apiphobiac

Wait... Clerics in 2000?
That makes me . . .

Top Top

Airose
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 am

JakeyZombie wrote:
I actually really like the looks of this project, surprisingly. There are a few spelling and grammatical errors throughout the topic, but that's not the biggest deal. What struck me as strange was that you integrated Al Bhed into the Final Fantasy 7 universe. It just doesn't seem right to me, considering the fact that although the series may be related by name they all take place in different worlds. Aside from that, everything's looking like it's coming along nicely.

Okay, I think it's called FFIV-2 because she's using that games particular world, and some of the old characters. Who are you to say what's right and wrong? Stop bitching, it's their game, let them do it the way they want to do it. Using all of the same characters is boring anyways.

It's.. squareenix's game. No problem with them using different characters but, going way off canon.. then again I always expect gold from fangames instead of settling for bronze. Fine.. fine, I do admit that Im really judgemental when it comes to matters like this. I'll be good.

Legend of Harpine
-----------------
1% Complete

Top Top

bulls84
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:48 am

Wait so this takes place exactly when in the FFVII timeline? I'm currently playing Crisis Core, so I was excited to come to this topic. Though, I think it would have been better if you kept the original characters. However, that is just my opinion. Other than that, I would say try and add more content to the thread.

Top Top

Aerif
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:21 am

Though I'm glad to recieve criticism on my work I don't like it when I'm flame-baited, Airose, you are entitled to your own opinion and I'm entitled to my own, nobody said Barret died first, and if you actually waited for some kind of demo to be realeased, you'd learn that he didn't due to being nearer the back than the front of the ship. I'm no racist seeing as I'm pretty used to recieving racist comments myself.

I'm going to speak again about canon, though I really like to avoid the topic altoghether.

The storyline was created (along with the finishing of Chapter 1) in 2006. At this point Europe had not recieved a realease of Advent Children, Dirge of Cerebus or Crisis Core, therefore for the sake of continuity in the story, these events have been ignored. However, at the time when the storyline had been created, we had had a realease of FFX-2, which hinted deeply that the two games took place in the same universe. This incorporates into the story nicely, and the Al Bhed factor is important to Chapter 2.

The 'Classes' are in inverted commas for a reason, perhaps I didn't explain it correctly, they're just there as a guidance of the character's fighting style, i.e. Cleric isn't necessarily religious but instead White Magic biased. The 'classes' were only put there just because they are fields that need to be filled into the RMXP database.

I'm about to add some clarifying sections to the first post, I'm sorry about the low content that currently overlooms it, but please remember this is in the Early Project section ^_^;

Top Top

bulls84
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:59 am

It would have been better if you incorporated the game in the storyline of the COMPILATION.

Top Top

Airose
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:28 am

Aerif wrote:
Though I'm glad to recieve criticism on my work I don't like it when I'm flame-baited, Airose, you are entitled to your own opinion and I'm entitled to my own, nobody said Barret died first, and if you actually waited for some kind of demo to be realeased, you'd learn that he didn't due to being nearer the back than the front of the ship. I'm no racist seeing as I'm pretty used to recieving racist comments myself.

I'm going to speak again about canon, though I really like to avoid the topic altoghether.

The storyline was created (along with the finishing of Chapter 1) in 2006. At this point Europe had not recieved a realease of Advent Children, Dirge of Cerebus or Crisis Core, therefore for the sake of continuity in the story, these events have been ignored. However, at the time when the storyline had been created, we had had a realease of FFX-2, which hinted deeply that the two games took place in the same universe. This incorporates into the story nicely, and the Al Bhed factor is important to Chapter 2.

The 'Classes' are in inverted commas for a reason, perhaps I didn't explain it correctly, they're just there as a guidance of the character's fighting style, i.e. Cleric isn't necessarily religious but instead White Magic biased. The 'classes' were only put there just because they are fields that need to be filled into the RMXP database.

I'm about to add some clarifying sections to the first post, I'm sorry about the low content that currently overlooms it, but please remember this is in the Early Project section ^_^;

WOAH! I did NOT flame bait you, I was joking around with that black guy thing. I do have a playful side to me, sometimes I dont post seriously.. you can tell when I do post seriously because I am stern.  Re-read what I posted and I dare you to find something that resembles flame baiting rather than PERSONAL OPINION.

Jeez, people nowadays are just itching to pull the race card, or the anti race card. I never said the words "you are racist".

Pfft for serious guys, Im going to go now.

Legend of Harpine
-----------------
1% Complete

Last edited by Airose on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Aerif
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm sorry if I took what you said out of context, but by the whole 'Did the Black guy die first?' is really something that can't be joked about nowadays. It's just one of those serious things.

I thought you were one of the people that you talked about in your post, who claims that anything negative happening to a black person is racist.

Sarcasm is a dodgy thing on the internet and you can never really tell if someon'es being sarcastic or not unless you get to know them.

I'm sorry if I took your 'opinion' out-of-context, but flame-baiting can be done accidedently

Top Top

Celesinator
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:17 pm
Thank you, everyone!

I think the only thing I don't like about this idea is FFVIIxFFX. I don't think you should do it that way. Nomura was bullcrapping because VII and X are the most popular.

If you say VII and X are connected. Then I say III and VIII are connected because of the geographical similarities.

But, the game does sound good for a FFVII game. Because I am a dieheart FFVII hater. I may enjoy this, really. Plus I like Marlene ^_^.

I am hopping  that you aren't using RTP, though.

Winner of the Project of the Month for July is Final Fantasy Essence, a project that is being worked very well for a great team.

Congratulations Celes, Matty, Sinmora, Solid278, Lex, Mark, Ryan, and especially Atoa for the excellent work!
http://www.santuariorpgmaker.com/forum/ ... y-essence/

Top Top

Aerif
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Unfortunatley, Celes, unless I can find an alternative to the things that make you sad, I can't really make you happy.

The FFX-VII thing probably won't effect the game too dramatically, in fact, going through the script I can't even see if it's mentioned. I think it'll be just like FFX-2's hinting, not any out-of-the-way comments. There won't be any mentioning of the cast of FFX if I can avoid it.

As I've already said if I can find a working alternative to the RTP I'll use it, but it seems unlikely. I think I may be sticking to RTP size because I'm most familiar too it, I hope to be able to find original sprites and am using Inq XP Medievil sets for tilesets.

Top Top

Celesinator
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Thank you, everyone!

Aerif wrote:
Unfortunatley, Celes, unless I can find an alternative to the things that make you sad, I can't really make you happy.

The FFX-VII thing probably won't effect the game too dramatically, in fact, going through the script I can't even see if it's mentioned. I think it'll be just like FFX-2's hinting, not any out-of-the-way comments. There won't be any mentioning of the cast of FFX if I can avoid it.

As I've already said if I can find a working alternative to the RTP I'll use it, but it seems unlikely. I think I may be sticking to RTP size because I'm most familiar too it, I hope to be able to find original sprites and am using Inq XP Medievil sets for tilesets.

I'm not sad O.o. It's just that VIIxX thing is... I don't really know. Nomura was cracked up that day. Cameos from FFX would be good, though. Every FF needs a Cameo.

And I think Inq's Medieval sets will fit, but if you are going to use RMXP rtp, make sure you at least darken them so they don't stick out too much.

Good luck with this!

Winner of the Project of the Month for July is Final Fantasy Essence, a project that is being worked very well for a great team.

Congratulations Celes, Matty, Sinmora, Solid278, Lex, Mark, Ryan, and especially Atoa for the excellent work!
http://www.santuariorpgmaker.com/forum/ ... y-essence/

Top Top

Aerif
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for the constructive criticism Celes! I'm going to need to take a deeper look at shading due to the bright nature of some of the character sprites.

As you can see, I've added the face pictures of some more main characters. Though I don't know whether to post information on them as some of the info is a little spoiler heavy, especially the origins of Emily.

Also I've posted a screenshot, huzzah!

I'm having doubts whether to post some in-game material as the character sprites are still in early stages, I have a basic template for Marlene and the normal outfits for Ki and Naomi, though it's uncertain whether they're for keeps.

Top Top

Bartholomew
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:06 pm

This looks pretty good for non-canonical fan made stuff.

bulls84 wrote:
Wait so this takes place exactly when in the FFVII timeline? I'm currently playing Crisis Core, so I was excited to come to this topic. Though, I think it would have been better if you kept the original characters. However, that is just my opinion. Other than that, I would say try and add more content to the thread.

Well, first off, they can't include Zack, because he's dead (Big surprise) you should know that by now. Cloud and Tifa have already had their turn with Advent Children. Vincent had his with Drige (However crappy it may have been). I would like to see a compilation title that focused more on Aerith. I like how they fleshed her out a lot more in CC, but I would still like to see a game devoted to her, so we can learn a shitload more about the Cetra. I would also love to see a Hojo spin off, in order to better understand him.

A couple things sort of tunr me off about this project..first of all..
How you have the satan figure from FF7, Jenova, and the satan figure from FFX, Sin, in the same universe. I just think it's a little too much, you know? But that is just my opinion.

And secondly... How Barrett and Nanaki went from helping save the world to falling into what looks like corruption in a few short years. Barret is a commie, and Nanaki a paranoid dictator. It just doesn't seem like it fits.

And last...
You've pretty much changed around the gameworld quite a bit, Nibelhiem is a hub for a Seph cult, (I had thought that the sephiroth copies all jumped off cliffs, and then there was Kadaj Loz, and yazoo, which are deceased as well.) and Corel has been rebuilt (which actually is probably a good idea).

But, I do have to respect your originality. Hopefully this new cast of characters have the same uniqueness the initial ones did. Good luck on the project.

Top Top

Aerif
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Jenova and Sin being in the same universe doesn't really affect the game storywise. In fact, I don't think either of them are mentioned at all, which is something I really didn't expect to happen.

Barret's communism follows only the basic rules of communism, it's more like a slightly more enforced Democracy. There's a lot of controversty in the news about Communist China, however that's just communism that got out of contrl, otherwise communism is a pretty good principle in my books (which is reflected in the political, social and economical status that New Corel recieves from the communist approach). So that sort of only leaves one paranoid AVALANCHE member, but that's all because of post-traumatic stress disorder (If I'm thinking of the right condition)

About Nibelheim, there is in an in-game explanation of this for what is planned to be Chapter 2. However to give the gist of it:

• A man discovers the same tomes in the Shinra mansion that Sephiroth originally found when he burned down Nibelheim.
  • He sees goodness in Sephy's works and convinces his fellow townsmen that his ideas are correct.
  • The town is basically swept by the idea and becomes a town filled with worshippers of Sephiroth

Not a great explanation, I know, however the discoverer of the tomes was a higly influential religious figure who had the kind of power to change the mindset of the town, owing to it being made up primarily of the same type of people.

Top Top

Gilleece
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Hmm usually I would cringe at the idea of a FF VII fan game but I very much like the look of this, I will definately keep an eye on it, pm me if you want help with music or anything. Best of luck.

Top Top

Bartholomew
  Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing all of that up, it makes more sense now.

Top Top

zeldrak
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am
Graphic Designer

Denzel should be here somewhere, as he was a good friend of Marlene, even if you don't make him a playable character, at least make him appear.

As for the still living, i think you should try covering a lot more on Yuffie's story, although with no relation to your own, it could be used as a side story.

By the way, SIn could be the creation that burst from the meteor Sephy called to hit the earth, and the lifestream could not hold such wound, leaving this power sleeping in it's dephts.

Al Bhed nation can also be placed on those northern excavation towns (can't remember the name) being found as an ancient civilization that they tried to recreate. Much like a utopia of sorts that a group of people created and found more to join them.

PS3 Trophies

Top Top

Freyhart
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 am

Hmm... I think it's actually good. It is unique somewhat after all. And hey, Marlene is not such a bad idea. Keep it up. I'd like to see more of it. ^-^

P.S.
Just a suggestion, why not add Cloud and Tifa's son... or something like that (maybe before they died or maybe even before they got married so the kid would at least be a few years old)...  So "Cloud" (I mean his bloodline) would still be part of the story somehow...

Top Top

Dark-Kyo
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:16 am

It looks good but its funny how Cloud and the gang there all dead.

Top Top

Aerif
  Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:52 am

Zeldrak, your predictions are so true that it actually scares me. Yuffie will be featured in the game and probably in a spin-off, everybody loves Yuffie (well, I do...).

Denzel is referenced to in Chapter 2 a few times, but I doubt it'll develop into anything major. Though he could possibly appear at a later date, I don't have any plans to incorporate the character.

The Sin thing... Well chronologically FFX takes place before FFVII in the story, so, Sin's already kind of dead...

When you talk about the excavation town I believe you mean the Bone Village? Al Bhed technology is not due to be discovered in the Bone Village as it never really left, there are still some societies on the Planet that primarily use Al Bhed as a langauge, mostly on the Northern Continent (where a lot of new content will be introduced as towns that already existed but weren't used in FFVII)

Thank you both Kyo and Freyhart for the compliments and motivation!

However, Cloud and Tifa never bore a child, and if Cloud's son was featured he be less than 10 years old and heavily clichéd. I'm aware Emily is marked as 7, however there's a good reason for her being there, and I don't really expect her to be used as a party-member in battles.

Top Top

Bartholomew
  Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:55 am

Here's one FF7 character that no one really cared about and has been overlooked for along time now: Priscilla. Thinking about incoporating her into your game? I think it would be a good idea, not really cliched at all.

Top Top

Aerif
  Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:38 pm

I don't have anything against Priscilla, I just don't think there's anywhere she could appear. Junon isn't planned to be in the game, though if it is you'll definetly meet her.

After all, she did open up a highly-successful business manufacturing dolphin whistles...

Top Top

paulalankelly
  Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Have you got a demo of this? It looks and sounds great, love the idea!

Check out this thread and help me with it!
I give Credit!

My Forum!
http://www.soulsociety.boardzero.com (It's a Bleach Roleplay site)

Fan of:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/my_dragon/memorybanner.png[/img]

My Non-Canon Bleach Manga
http://rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=49367.0

Top Top

Aerif
  Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:08 pm

I had a demo floating about PhanX Games for the original version. I do believe it may have also been circulated in several other places around the internet but I can't find the original file on my computer.

Though trust me, you don't want to see the original version, the mapping is... Urgh...

Top Top