Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

ImmuneEntity
  Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:11 pm
Sponsor

---Update on 12-23-11---
The download link for this game was broken for several months. A couple people have been asking how to download this game, so I've re-uploaded it to GameFront. You can download it from the link above.

It was a long time ago that I made this game, and I don't make RMXP games anymore, but I did spend a ton of work on this game and there might be a few people out here that have never tried it who might enjoy it.

---Update on 3-16-10---
As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I'm bringing this topic back from the dead to give more people a chance to play this game who maybe never saw it or had a chance to try it out. I'll put that post here for convenience:

This is a game that I released several months ago, and I'd like to give people a chance who maybe never saw it to try it out. I spent a lot of work on this game, and unfortunately there was a forum crash a week after the game's release, so most of the posts after the release were lost, which I think hurt its popularity a bit. Note that this is a complete ten hour game, and not many RMXP games like this are out there.

It's been a while since I've worked on this, and I'm sure I could do much better now. But I think for what it is, it's a very solid, complete RMXP game with tons of action sequences that are rarely seen in RMXP games and I think you should try it out. Please at least try the first fifteen minutes of the game, because that's when the action starts. So I apologize if it first it seems to start out a little slow, but I promise it will quickly pick up. Also note that if it seems like it's religious to start with, that's just the way the story happens to start out; I'm certainly not trying to shove religion down anyone's throat.

Comments and criticism are appreciated. I spent three years on this game and I started it in high school; it was a very iterative process. But I'm happy with the way it turned out.

---Update on 5-31-09---
The Fall of Terra has been finally been released. Your comments and criticism are appreciated.

Please take note that although the game has gone through extensive testing, there of course are still probably bugs. If you find any, especially ones that prevent you from progressing further, please let me know either by PM or by posting it here, preferably in a spoiler tag. If you feel there could be balancing tweaks (boss difficulty, etc.) feel free to let me know too. I do plan to keep working on this a little more and if necessary release an update with bug fixes and balancing tweaks.
--------------------

STORY SYNOPSIS
Damian is a young man born and raised in Terra, which has been the strongest nation for over a thousand years. However, in recent years a rebellious faction has taken over the northeast portion of the continent. Despite this, the king has not yet made any orders to retake this region, and some speculate that more attacks will soon come.

In a world on the brink of total war, Damian will use his new-found abilities to aid the Terrans in defeating the rebels for good, while simultaneously attempting to find the source of his strange powers. In his quest to find his place in the universe, strange events make him question the very nature of reality, and causee him to wonder if there is more to the universe than meets the eye.

--------------------

MAIN CHARACTERS
I would rather not talk too much about the characters and instead let the game explain them, but I will put them here for the thread's requirements.

Damian: As the main character, he has a very difficult task at hand. Haunted by the events of his past, Damian must strive to adapt in an ever-changing world. Despite his past, he must regain his confidence and find the good potential that he has within him, while discovering the horrible and evil potential of others.

Ciara: When Damian helps Ciara escape death, she is surprised when he goes on his way rather than asking for anything in return. Having not met any man like him before, she continues to try to learn about Damian throughout the game to figure out what makes him so different.

Brutus: He is the brother of Ciara. He constantly refuses to trust Damian, and believes Damian's only objective is to win over his sister.

--------------------

PICTURES
The title screen.

KGC's Active Count Battle System. (This is not RMXP's default battle system).

Damian's home. This will be one of the few instances that I am using a cosmetic fog; I will try to only use them subtly in certain areas to enhance the map a bit.

A snow area.

A town being attacked.

A forest at night.

The battle at the capital city.

A conversation between Damian and Ciara.

The in-game menu.

--------------------

What makes this game different from other RMXP games?
Despite some obvious cliches, are some differences:

-This is a FULL game
-Lots of action-intense scenes
-You will be able to partake in several in-game cinematic battles (refer to the "Battle at the capital city" picture for an example of what I mean). This should be one of the strong points of the game; dozens of soldiers will be engaged in battle in a city or town and you must help your fellow soldiers out the best you can. These events are entirely event-based, and they have very complicated systems. The battle pictured above uses 7 Parallel Processes, each handling a different part of the battle (Soldier HP, Attacking, Reinforcing, etc.) It certainly isn't perfect, but I don't think this sort of thing has really been done before in an RMXP game.
-Unlike most games, you will not be sided with the rebels. You will be sided with the army of Terra, and they will be with you every step of the way.
-A good quality assortment of MP3 music from several different sources

--------------------

FAQ

How long is the game?
About 9 -10 hours; it will vary based on sidequests and exploration.

How big is the game?
About 160 MB

How long have you worked on this game for?
I worked on this game for about three years, but I didn't consistently work on it; some months I did not work on it at all. However, I have definitely put a LOT of time into this project.

Last edited by ImmuneEntity on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:54 am, edited 11 times in total.

Top Top

MukanshinBlack
  Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:43 pm
I'm so lazy...

The game looks pretty interesting.  I like the originality in the story and characters.  But what did you mean by "Damian will use his new-found abilities"?

Did you mean to say the battle system is fully evented or just enchanced with events?  If it is fully evented, why did you make it to look like the default front-view battle system?  It's very boring, I think.

Your mapping is somewhat decent.  On the snow map, I don't understand why there is that "splashing" animation on the water.  It doesn't fit.  Damien's home is also "oddly shaped".  On the bottom-half, it looks the walls going up make his house shrink.

But overall the game looks pretty good.  Good luck with it and all.

My current projects

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 pm
Sponsor

The official battle system used is the front-view one, but it is Active Time. It is not the default battle system. The other battles I was talking about are ones that occur in-game, where you can move around while other soldiers are engaging in fights with the rebels. If you aid them, it will go into the front-view battle.

The splashes are just meant to make it look like it's going slightly downhill...I think it looks okay.

I may consider modifying/improving the house...I made that map long ago when I was first starting out with RMXP.

Top Top

MukanshinBlack
  Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:01 pm
I'm so lazy...

The splashes really don't look okay.  The river doesn't look like it's going downhill at all.  Those splase sprites are meant for the bottom of waterfalls also, so of course it'd look wrong when used in any other way.

The house most certainly does need improving.  It doesn't look realistic at all.  There's no oven or cabinet for food.

My current projects

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

Wow, that menu looks absolutely gorgeous. The Naramura battlers are fairly common, and you are using Arshes as a main character, but that's more of a personal preference.

I'd like to know a bit more about the story, it sounds pretty interesting. The characters are fairly cliche (Main character who must find good in himself, female character in love with the main character, etc.) The battle scene doesn't look very exciting to me, of course I imagine in-game it'd look more enthralling. The cosmetic fog on the indoor map looks neat, however, like MukanshinBlack said, does need some work.

All in all, good luck on this, hope you finish.  :straightthumb:

Top Top

Mazoku
  Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 pm

This actually looks pretty good. I can't find anything negative to say. Oh wait, healthy looking flowers on the winter map. That seems kind of out of place unless theres some explanation for it. All in all this project looks promising. Best of luck  :thumb:

Top Top

sakabilli
  Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Everything looks pretty damn good. Yeah I have to agree with Mazoku though. Just tiny little details like the flowers. But that's not that bad at all. The only real negative thing that I could think of is the battle system. Maybe change that around, and your game would be perfect. (Well atleast it would look perfect)
=]

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:21 pm
Sponsor

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to fix the maps as suggested; I tend to use the tiles that are provided in the tileset, even though sometimes they don't always make the most sense. I probably won't be changing the battle system since I've had to make quite a few little script modifications. I prefer it when the characters can have larger, more detailed graphics displayed. But again, it's not the default battle system; it's KGC's Active Count battle system.

Last edited by ImmuneEntity on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

sakabilli
  Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Oh I apolagize, I didnt look too carefully haha =\

Also, if you have trouble with the default tilesets and you feel that they are limiting you (I sure do), but you love the tiles, look here:

http://www.crankeye.com/resources/xp-tilesets/

These are all the tiles, and more, of Rpg maker xp fused together in larger sets.
You will have to go through them, though, and make the passable and nonpassible in your database.

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm
Sponsor

That's okay, I do all of my own "fusing" of tilesets...there are several instances where I need tiles that aren't there. But at the same time I try not to use tilesets that have everything in them because they can cause loading issues on slower computers and they also make it tempting to use tiles that really shouldn't belong.

Top Top

sakabilli
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:11 pm

True

Top Top

Fayte
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
this game looks really interesting but the default battle system is killing it for me :/

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:21 pm
Sponsor

lol I will say this for the third time, it is not the default battle system. I'll put that under the picture...

Top Top

Fayte
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:31 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Oh sorry, well lemme rephrase

Fayte wrote:
this game looks really interesting but the front-view battle system is killing it for me :/

fix'd

Top Top

Bridgeman
  Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:15 pm
"My name ain't important. Just remember me as the guy who killed ya."

Looks good except... you... use... Arses...

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:05 am
Sponsor

The game is now ready for beta testing. Please look at the first post if you are interested in beta testing the game.

Top Top

sakabilli
  Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 pm

hey, if you want, id be glad to beta test.
ive looked over the requirements and wont have any trouble with that.

Top Top

wanna_rom_1982
  Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:29 am

i'd like to test your game

Top Top

badkarma13136
  Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 am
Writer

MukanshinBlack wrote:
The house most certainly does need improving.   It doesn't look realistic at all.   There's no oven or cabinet for food.

really? Your nitpicking that? wow... uhm, I wouldn't expect to see either and oven nor a cabinet in a medieval-esq home.

I think it looks interesting so far - props. I'd like to see more of the battle system, to see what differentiates it from normal RTP

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:09 pm
Sponsor

The differences in the battle system are hard to describe through pictures, but fundamentally it is KGC's Active Count Battle System. So here are some of the differences with this system:

-The battle is active, so you shouldn't waste much time determining which skill to use, etc.
-There is a bar on the left that displays when what actor or enemy will get to make a move.
-Using a skill increases the amount of time before your next turn rather than a simple attack
-There are HP/SP bars (not really a battle system feature, but still a nice addition)
-Every skill has a recharge time (this is custom and is not part of the KGC script). The higher the level of skill, the longer the recharge time.

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Wed May 27, 2009 4:07 am
Sponsor

Updated the thread and added a couple new pictures. Download the game June 2nd!

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 am
Sponsor

The game has been released (a couple days early). Refer to the main post for the download link. Feel free to try it out and let me know what you think. It certainly isn't a perfect game, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 am
Sponsor

Well obviously all the posts after the game was released have been lost. For any of you that have played the game and have anything new to comment on, feel free to do so.

Your comments and criticism have been appreciated.

Top Top

regi
  Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Nice work. I just finished the game and saw both endings. It was very enjoyable. Here are a few more comments.

Gameplay is pretty decent overall. The battles are pretty balanced, although I have to complain, some battles were easy, but too long. I would suggest increasing strategies for fights and lowering HP, rather than just having the player hacking away endlessly. You had a few good puzzles in certain later dungeons, but I'm sure you have room to add more. Exploration and NPC interaction were pretty good as well, many of the sidequests/extras were fun to do.

The long battles at cities (with guards fighting all over the place) were well-done. I liked the first one and the attack on the Rebel area, as well as the towns attacked by Acerbus monsters. But the fight at the capital could use a little work. It was pretty easy-- you had plenty of soldiers to back you up. The main thing was having one party running back and forth up and down the walls to the gate. It might be a little more interesting if they got in and you had several soldiers around the place dueling, but I guess you'd have to make it work.

Before the final fights in the ruins (when you got to walk around the place and finish sidequests), walking around the world became annoying again. Once again, there should be a dash function, or a way to get from town to town faster (maybe a carriage option that you can purchase?). The different places were mapped well, though. You varied the RTP nicely, it looked like you had almost every tileset except for Inner Body and Evil Castle. I also liked the transitions from grassland to desert, and grassland to snow plains.

I don't think I've commented on story yet; it was nicely executed with good cutscenes, but just a little cliched. There's a lot about fighting one's family. I also find it a little hard to believe Damian was selfless enough to try and sacrifice his life to save the world, when his two brothers were so selfish and different. I also hoped there might be a little more peaceful solutions (e.g. when you were asked to kill some woman's husband?) but I guess violence is always the answer? Motivations weren't always the best (greed seemed to be one of the major ones), but they worked.

Finally, the music suited the scenes pretty well, and atmosphere was good, although you could work on some cosmetic fogs a little more. Some areas were a little too foggy, or too dark, but otherwise worked.

That said, I applaud you for actually finishing such a well-polished game. It definitely could use more work in the gameplay area, but I still enjoyed it.

Top Top

ImmuneEntity
  Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 pm
Sponsor

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll take everything you've said into consideration if and when I decide to improve on the game.

Just curious, what was your overall play time?

Top Top

regi
  Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

It was about 11 hours I think, although I did revisit a lot of towns to try and finish all the sidequests and get the items, heheh.

Top Top

Eziekieal
  Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:47 am
Embrace your dreams.

Blehhh, forum rollback and my computer imploded within 3 days of eachother, so i need 2 restart this game >_<. I dident get to far but up to where i got it was fun. Im hoping to beat this game within the next couple weeks...i'll add my opinion when i finish the game, if it counts since im new =P

Top Top

Kyla_Alexa
  Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 am
Girl by the river.

oh! looks nice. will download.

Top Top

kingo'mountain
  Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:00 pm

download link doesn't work for me

nvm

Top Top