Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Anaryu
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:09 am
Sponsor

RTP WARNING!
This project very heavily uses the default RTP graphics.

Anamei Productions

Feedback
The main goal of this project is to practice telling stories and developing characters. While playing and giving feedback, please be sure to think of things that stand out as unnatural or bland and I won't shrug off any tips on how to improve my writing either!

Story
Welcome to the world of Cast Aside.

You'll play the role of a young girl with a dull future ahead of her. A kitchen assistant and foster-daughter to the island's most powerful Luminary, you wonder if your life is really worth living... How will her life unfold? You'll need to play to find out!

Cast Aside is an episodic game where your Save File will transfer from one episode to the next. Released long ago, Cast Aside has seen a lot of work since then.

Characters
Rayne: The main character, Rayne struggles in her everyday life. Living with the legacy of parents who bailed out of debt and left her behind, she feels she needs to make up for their sins and her foster-parents kindness by being what they want.

Kael: A childhood friend of Rayne, Kael is a spirited youth with a seeming gift for the spear and combat training.

Gameplay
Cast Aside is a story heavy game with a lot of puzzles. Combat is based on an Active Tactical System, so it can be hectic and will sometimes integrate puzzle elements.

Releases
Note: Before playing please install the FORTE font from the game folder! (Right click and select "Install")
Each episode contains the one before it, so there's no need to download early episodes!

Episode 1 and 2: http://anamei.net/files/CA-EP2.zip
(New release on 9/14/2008 at 12:14PM EST with most suggestions and all bug fixes listed up to that time.)

Screenshots
Who needs a recipe?

Looks safe to me!

A Kinda Sucky (but I was lazy!) Battle Screenshot

Demo Battle Screenshot (Example of menus)

Repeat Attack Mode

Credits

Message script: ccoa
Menu system and cursor: Raziel and Selwyn
Icons: Whitecat

ImageImage
In Progress:

Last edited by Anaryu on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top Top

Skyla Doragono
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:05 am
The World is Shit
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Holy...!

Anaryu, you come back and dangle something pretty in our face. :o  I'm going to try it out later. <3

Top Top

SorcerGamble2
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 am

hate puzzles

love tactical combat

i'm deffinitely interested in trying this ... will post Edit later

(EDIT)

Wow.  I'm very impressed.  Ur puzzles were actually pretty entertaining.. very original.  And i really like the combat.  in the puzzle glass tile room after you get the item the reds drifted to the left off screen (minor bug) and after i left that room i got wasted by the bats/scorpions... so an auto-save or something might be usefull... or better yet don't make that fight so difficult....  that's where i stopped... cuz i didn't have a recent save and didn't want to repeat the puzzle.  so auto-saves after puzzles would probably be good.

Keep up the good work.  love the title screen.  the first cut where ur in the 'counting room' is a little dry... but once you get to the next cut with the baby its very good cut... then on the first mini Challenge game.. i'd reduce it to like a two minutes or less... so the challenge doesn't get old.  i'll prolly try the fight again later just to see more of the game... but nice work.

i started on a tactics type game but didn't have the stomach to finish it once i realized how much work would be involved... yours looks very thorough.

Last edited by SorcerGamble2 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

ellenor
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:49 am

This game look so pretty!
The first thing that catched my eye was the artwork are they orginal? Cause I have never seen them before ^^
Well I will try it and say what I think about it^^

Top Top

Zekallinos
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 pm
I defy gravity.
Sponsor

Well, this is a nice piece of work.

The very title screen, to begin with, is nicely done and does good to catch the player's attention.

I would first suggest that you get the letter by letter scrolling a little faster (at the start), it's somewhat annoying. And compensate with a bigger break at some points (Am I...break...Dead?)

It's sometimes hard to see the area effect of skills since the highlight is almost the same as the other one.

While the cave dialogue is nice, it beings to be long and clubersome after a while...

The crystal puzzle is original, but perhaps you should add something more, like having to walk on tiles of color by sequence or something. Else it's a little repetive.

I might finish the mine cave later on. Nice job with the effects (particles, I guess?). By the way, is the TBS evented or scripted?

Top Top

Luthur
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:06 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

Oh my god. This is by far the best RTP only game I have ever seen. Your mapping is supurb, and your battle system is amazing. I've downloaded it and tried it out, and here's what I thought:

Your titlescreen is really good, lots of detail and it looks nice. Well done.

Like Zekallinos has already said, the text scrolls a little to slowly, but that's not a big deal. The scene that plays out next (the one with the parents in the counting house) is set out well, but the music doesn't really suit it. I know it's ment to be a dreamy sort of thing, but after 'Is this what it's like to be dead' the tinkly fairy music doesn't match.

I like the mini game in the kitchen, that was a good idea. Works well, too.

The first beach map is a bit bare, but the other maps look great.

The battle system reminds me of games like LotR Tactics and likewise, and that's a good thing. It's very well spaced out and designed. Just I'd make those move/attack etc sybols a bit bigger, cause they're hard to read.

Then I got to the second boulder puzzle outside the cave and got stuck. I'll try again later. But that's one truly awsome game you've got yourself there. Well done.

Oh, note: I'd delete the big red 'RTP WARNING! This project very heavily uses the default RTP graphics. Even edits are rare!' at the top of the thread if I were you, because that will put some people off, and you really don't want that with such a good game. :thumb:

Top Top

Despain
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:10 pm

Oh fantastic! Is this an updated release?

I might just have to play it. I liked the old one when I played it for a little bit.

Top Top

Anaryu
  Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:24 pm
Sponsor

Thanks for the replies all!

The artwork IS original, Anamei productions is a team of me (ANAryu) and my wife (YaouMEI), she does all the sprite edits, tileset edits, character artwork, borders, and makes most of the particles. She also designed the titlescreen (which we spent a lot of time on, glad to see people like it!)

Regarding the colored-tile puzzle: As the game progresses I'm using new puzzles with each section, so I'm trying to not reuse the same mechanic much, if there is another glass-tile type puzzle expect it to be quite different and a little less annoying with the constant switching. Maybe I could help by making the character switch button alternate back and forth between the last used character if you just tap it? I could add in a little text so they mention that.

Regarding the fight after the puzzle: Now that you mention it I can see where people might not realize they should save their file at that point... although you can save at any time, maybe some crystal or a save icon to let them know it'd "be a good idea" would help alleviate the potential "Oh crap I didn't save!" options and help reduce the work for people who save every few steps for fear of something like that. I've had one other mention that fight is a bit hard (I initially did the terrible sin and had the scorpions poison you but removed that since it added no value other than pissing people off) I can probably tweak that a little bit, what was it that did you in? Did you just barely lose at the end or get overwhelmed?

The cave scene can get a bit lengthy (try play testing that 100 times!), I'll focus on less length and more meat on future conversations like that, I'm still learning how to write and I think you're right that it does drag a bit long.

I like the points that the early dialog can speed up and use longer breaks, that'd probably be more dramatic and less annoying. I also like the idea of spicing up or cutting down that counting house scene, looking at it again it does seem to take a bit longer than it should.

The system itself is completely Scripted, and the attacks and map effects are all using a scripted particle engine too (I released a VX particle engine that was the cleaned up version of an XP engine I developed in World Outside, which I then took from VX and then cleanly ported back to XP for this game! Whew!)

I'll see if I can make the attack squares more obvious when aiming skills and such, I didn't notice, but that's because I know exactly what those skills are meant to hit!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll work on some tweaks and release a revised version once done.

(New content for post made while I was typing up this...!)

Yep, this is an updated release and it has the next episode included. You'll notice the same basic story from a long time ago, although I eliminated some of the unnecessary combat (the running away scene) and have tried to streamline things a bit. I also fixed that map where it ended at the top and put in a cliff instead so it looks nicer like you suggested long ago. :)

ImageImage
In Progress:

Last edited by Anaryu on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

ChronoStopPosting
  Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 am

omg.... omg.... I can't even fully replie to this... <3...

Top Top

Reives
  Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 am
Sponsor

About time we see that TBS in action. :p Great work as always; will try it soon.

Top Top

ChronoStopPosting
  Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 pm

love this game! I stayed up for like 6 hours last night playing it.... Tired as hell for school today...

Top Top

Anaryu
  Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm
Sponsor

ChronoStopE wrote:
love this game! I stayed up for like 6 hours last night playing it.... Tired as hell for school today...

Normally I wouldn't ask but... how did you play it for 6 hours!? It's like a 1 to 1.5 hour game tops. :O Hopefully that was just exaggeration.

ImageImage
In Progress:

Top Top

OrigamiRose
  Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:12 pm
Individuality

Well, what can I say? The artwork is amazing, the mapping is wonderfull, and the story is exiting. This project looks very interesting. And it has a TBS, which I love^^

Great work!=)

Top Top

Zekallinos
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 am
I defy gravity.
Sponsor

Just open the save window before the battle. It should be clear and simple. No need to even prompt it.

Allright, playing the rest of the game...

While your concept for the mine thing is really nice and original, is there any way to make it a little simpler? There are like 50 instructions to memorize. Or maybe have them in a 1, 2, 3, ... list with a paper picture on the background, it would be a little less of a pain to reread.

By the way, syntax mistake for the chute 3 instruction? "If the switch it turn off". Should it be "If the switch is turned off," or something?

It's not the X button, it's the A button, press F1 while playing to see what button in the editor equals to what!

Very nice job incorporating terrain into the battle (aside pasability) with the plugging thing, that's how real battles work  :thumb:

So I guess the black screen after that means it's over? Well, sorry I can't really help on the writing part, that isn't my speciality, although compared to other projects I've saw, it's pretty good. The characters, while seemely full of backstory, do not quite catch my attention. I guess that would not be a problem if we get further into the game.

Well, good luck for this, your going in the right way  :straightthumb:

Top Top

Anaryu
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 am
Sponsor

Coprophiliac wrote:
You just got Reviewed!

Thanks for the review actually. :)

I'd never even thought to try some of the custom buttons during the intro sequence, I'll ensure that's taken care of. Shortening the intro is also on the list as I've had a couple people mention that it's a bit too dull, especially the very first scene. This includes speeding up the initial boring text.

Spoiler Replies!

Thanks for taking the time to give it a 15 minute go, and the extra time for putting your thoughts together!

EDIT: Eh? There was a 15 minute review there... where'd it go!
EDIT v2: Ah, okay. Linked to it in the thread.

@Zekallinos: The "A" button is the keyboard equivalent of the "X" button in the F1 editor by default, I use the "button name" (ACB, XYZ, LR) because I'm not sure what someone's keyboard set up will be, and some people (myself included!) play with a gamepad sometimes. I'll see if I can add a note about it somehow though. Or did I say "X" somewhere where I meant to say A? (by default A is the Z key)

Yep, that's a grammar mistake, not for long though!

I didn't think the instructions were too much... maybe there's a way to put that paper in more locations and cut down on the amount in one spot.

ImageImage
In Progress:

Last edited by Anaryu on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Untra
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:59 am
Jack of all Trades
Sponsor

ehh, 'temu yelled at me for posting it twice. Heres a link to the original: clicky

Top Top

Zekallinos
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:20 am
I defy gravity.
Sponsor

Yeah, at that zombie battle you said the X button, if I recall correctly.

As for the instructions, it's just the message box that makes it painful. Maybe it's just me though. And my paper I really meant and image, a parchement scroll or something that pops-up with all the text on it instead of 50 messages. Would be easier.

Top Top

SorcerGamble2
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 am

okay.... so i tried that fight again, and apparently other people have gotten past it and its possible to win it... but im not seeing how.

they each have one special skill at this point, no items... and i'm killing maybe half of the baddies after the crystal glass tile cave puzzle.  any suggestions?

Top Top

Anaryu
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 am
Sponsor

SorcerGamble2 wrote:
okay.... so i tried that fight again, and apparently other people have gotten past it and its possible to win it... but im not seeing how.

they each have one special skill at this point, no items... and i'm killing maybe half of the baddies after the crystal glass tile cave puzzle.  any suggestions?

Strategy

ImageImage
In Progress:

Top Top

Juno
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Anaryu wrote:

My apologies about the music, I haven't been able to find a musician to make the music that doesn't include me paying a lot for it! I also really feel guilty if I use music that I don't have license to use... any suggestions on where to find some good music that I'm technically not using illegally and there's enough so that I'm not dancing the "music roulette" dance would be greatly appreciated.

If you just want some improved RTP music, DJ and SnowWolf have both re-orchestrated some of the RTP tracks into higher quality mp3s.  Their stuff is available in the resources section, and they don't mind if anyone uses it, as long as they are credited.

Top Top

zealex
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:41 pm

This looks interesting, downloading. ;)

What happened to your old game, btw? I think it was great aswell.

Top Top

SorcerGamble2
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm

right-e-o.  i understand the multi-hit now.. but it wasn't really apparent how to use that, so perhaps a more detailed walk-thru of the combat system is in order as well as the effect of using a skill on a character vs. a tile... (i thot it was just a matter of aim or something) but it is like choosing between doing damage or adjusting the auro of the tile.

so i got thru the second fight on the second try with these strategies and once again am stuck ... (this is why i hate puzzles :(                     )             can't get the third chute open.  it doesn't use steam.  there is two switches for it on the north platform but neither seems to do anything, even temporarily.  once again, others have gotten further... so obviously im just not doing something right.

Top Top

Anaryu
  Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 pm
Sponsor

SorcerGamble2 wrote:
right-e-o.  i understand the multi-hit now.. but it wasn't really apparent how to use that, so perhaps a more detailed walk-thru of the combat system is in order as well as the effect of using a skill on a character vs. a tile... (i thot it was just a matter of aim or something) but it is like choosing between doing damage or adjusting the auro of the tile.

so i got thru the second fight on the second try with these strategies and once again am stuck ... (this is why i hate puzzles :(                    )            can't get the third chute open.  it doesn't use steam.  there is two switches for it on the north platform but neither seems to do anything, even temporarily.  once again, others have gotten further... so obviously im just not doing something right.

3rd Chute

@wesley snipe's yugoslavian butler: Um, which one of my old games?

ImageImage
In Progress:

Top Top

Link in Pink
  Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 am
It rhymes.

This is an amazing game! I love it!

And I must comment on the puzzles. Incredibly unique and fun to figure out. Can't wait for future episodes :D

Last edited by Link in Pink on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

e
  Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 am
shittybutt

Pretty fun stuff. It's rare to find a good project. I'll be waiting for the next update!

Top Top

SorcerGamble2
  Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:29 am

thanks man i'll do that.  preciate the customer support :D

ya i read the note many many times... as well as the boiler room note too... but i still didn't get that i needed two people over there.

(EDIT)

I've come to the Darkness....  Good work tho bro, this is the best work i've seen with RMXP, no exageration.  Great puzzles/combat (though a few more hint and tips are needed with both 'cuz i couldn't have gotten through it without the spoilers).  I'll take tactical combat over the standard battle system every day of the week. 

Keep crank'in out the chapters !!! :D

Last edited by SorcerGamble2 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Neverplayd
  Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:03 am

Some side notes for you: The game crashes when you click the empty item menu in the TBS. Also in the intro, you spelled argument as "arguement" in the introduction. I'm really only 15 mins in so I'll play some more before giving structured feedback. But, overall, this game has some impressive tweaks from the traditional Rpg Maker game.

Last edited by Neverplayd on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Acezon
  Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:14 am
Script Learner

I have encountered some bugs:

~when i was doing the glass tile puzzle, i think it is a bit hard, so i exit the map.. when i got the bony staff and some aqua and root gel and then came back to the tile puzzle, i tried to step in the tile but it doesn't work..

i used kael to move the tiles when suddenly, the white tile moves passing the rocks and to the end of the screen!!! the tiles didn't notice the rocks there, so when i am controlling it, rayne couldn't step on the first green tile...

HELP ME!!

Top Top

Anaryu
  Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Sponsor

Thanks for the reports, I'll fix those misspelling and the error with leaving the room and coming back in.

EDIT: New version uploaded! I've implemented a lot of the suggestions and fixed all noted bugs (item menu crash and the problem with exit/entering the tile room.) Sped up the intro, added an automatic save-suggestion before the cave fight, made the target area for attacks more obvious, and more.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

ImageImage
In Progress:

Last edited by Anaryu on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SoulReaperGod
  Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:22 pm
RAWR <3

Nice game fro the scren shots i say your game is going to be the best game so far i guess and Anaryu nice job with the battle system i like it it's cool and awsome

Top Top