Demo v.3 Available: 4+ Hours of Gameplay, glitches fixed
Complete Game v.1 Available: 25+ Hours of Gameplay

Story

On the continent of Sera, power has been evenly split between three nations
for decades. Reins, an industrious nation in the north. Balkia, a shining star
in the deserts in the south, and finally The Nobungian Union, a group of
allied tribal states in the east. War raged between all three nations, until
the Nobungians buckeled under pressure and agreed to peace. Despite that,
the feud between Reins and Balkia has continued for an additional 20 years.
Few people today even remember what caused the war to begin with, making it
a pointless struggle. Both the Leaders of Reins and Balkia are too bitter to
seek a ceasefire, and will not stop until the other nation is destroyed. While
they slowly destroy each other, the Nobungians sit and wait.

Our story begins with a young Reinian soldier named Lucian, injured on
the battle field from a stray arrow to the leg. Lucian has been sent home,
where he will finally be reunited with his love, Kira. Kira is the daughter
of one of the most respected men in Reins, Darius. He is the Head Captain
of the Knights of Rein and has held this position since the mysterious
death of the last man to fill this position, Gabriel.

The very same night of Lucian’s return, a sinister force has returned to
Reins, one that was thought to have been destroyed long ago. A force
that seeks vengeance upon Darius, and will drag both Kira and Lucian
into conflict. Lucian and Kira’s reunion is going to be cut short, and
Lucian is about to be thrust upon a dangerous journey. A man who thought
he was finally free from fighting is about to learn that his struggle has
only just begun.

Features

-Sideview Battle System and some special battle features, including being able to steal items from enemies
-Lockpicking Minigame for getting to secret areas or opening certain chests
-Large Party System, with up to 8 members total in the final game
-Multiple Sidequests that can allow you to receive secret weapons and even a secret Party Member.
-Stealth scenes
-Deep Storyline with a unique and varied cast of Characters, as well as some unexpected plot twists
-25 Hours of Gameplay! Over 500 maps and 125 monsters.
-Half of the music is non-RTP, as well as many graphics
-Lots of Puzzles
-Learning Curve, with easy battles early on and very difficult and strategic battles later in the game.
-'Easy Mode' for new rpg players. Allows you to skip battles so you can progress the plot.

Characters

Content Hidden

Screenshots

Content Hidden

Download Demo v.3
http://www.mediafire.com/?yymlmw1aw45
Download Bloodsphere Complete: v.1.1
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2269/downloads/2398/

Notes
I have been working on this game on and off for the last year. I managed to fix all of the major scripting errors I had so the game is alot better now.

Please feel free to leave any feedback on what you liked or what I can improve for the final version of the game. I hope you enjoy what I have so far.

Progress: 100% complete!

Credits
Battle System: Enu, Atoa, Kylock, Cairn
UMS: ccoa
Party changer: Dargor
Actor face: Jens009
Lockpicking: Eilei
Character Bios: Truthful Tiger, Italian Stallion.

Last edited by Alex898 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Top Top

RadethDart
  Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 pm
The Radster is here!
Sponsor

Wow, I must say that this game was very interesting! I would really like it if you could finish it though ><.

Top Top

zchin
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:46 am
T.Y.A.H.A.N.D. = Thank you and have a nice day
Sponsor

I don't like the mapping you're doing, I don't see why someone would make a boat that shape (Screenshot 5), and I though that faceset in the second screenshot was from Naramura, and in the second screenshot, again, behind the crystal, there is a missing tile, it looks like your being lazy. In the fifth screenshot, again, there are swords right above the bed head! *Ship go into storm* ehh, doesn't look to pretty, (if you get what I mean), If you don't, I mean that the ship will move and shake maybe moving the swords out of place. And the chest at the bottom of the beds look like you stuffed something big in there, maybe a................ Body?
Anyway, I hoped this helped

Thank you and have a great day.

Top Top

Alex898
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 am

Uh well the tile behind the crystal isn't empty, the crystal just blocks off the bottom of it so you can't see it.

Top Top

MCsephiroth13
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:10 am
Strange, but true.

The only bad thing in this game seems to your mapping IMHO
Other than that, the events are great, story is great, and that lock picking system looks fantastic

The Fourth Stone-Project Discussion Thread!
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=66648

Top Top

So fist
  Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:20 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Okay gave it about an hour and a half play through. Ran through all the way to chapter three. Here are my helpful notes.

Maps
Your maps would benefit from planning before making them. You do a lot of random haphazard clutter. Who has a bunch of random barrels in the middle of their house? Also you have too much symmetry. When was the last time you saw flowers growing wildly in a checkerboard pattern, or trees in straight lines. All said maps do get a bit better as the game progresses. Your outdoor maps also have open edges. Don't do that. Close them off. It never looks right that way. Your interiors have a tendency to be too big and empty. Also you seem to like to stuff your npc's into one room cluttered houses with a bunch of barrels in the middle of them for no apparent reason. Which goes back to my first point, planning. Before you map think of the rooms you want to have, their layout and function. Consider who lives in this room and what sort of person they are. When it comes to nature consider the climate. Arid? Temperate? Summer? Winter? And start thinking in terms of how the area is used, and what grows their. Typically growth occurs in pockets that reflect where their is adequate supply of sunlight, nutrient, and water to support the plants. Plants typically will be surrounded by a few like kinds since seed normally drops nearby if not right next to them. When you start thinking in those terms and planning before you start you'll start producing more believable maps.

One last note on the maps. Don't use the screen tint overlay to recolor a map. It looks terrible that way. You're better off getting a recolored version of that tileset by requesting one or doing it yourself (which is pretty simple if you know how to use tools in gimp or photoshop.

Battle
Battle system works alright. Pretty generic. I do like that the enemies react to your leveling, I.E. they run away when you are basically too much for them. However this serves as an exploit since whether I kill the enemy or watch them run, I am still awarded the same experience and gold. Which means fights with creatures you've met that threshold with are quicker and way easier and give enough reward to use them to be over levelled in the next area and just walk through the game. Which is what I'm doing. The skills work well though i haven't seen many. So far Eye Poke has been a total boss destroyer as after using it the victim can't touch me for like four turns or so. The white mages heal skill is way better than the minor healing potion.

Items
Which leads to items. Potion of minor healing is over priced and worthless. It makes way more sense to buy minor sp healing potions for the same price. Those potions purchase me two Healing casts with the white mage making it a no brainer. Hell two minor healing potions don't even equal one cast of heal with the white mage. Make the item cheaper or fix it. Also I don't really notice much of a difference with purchasing the first armors in the game. I got hit just as often and for the same damage as I was when I had none. No reason to buy it.

The remainder is spoilered because it will potentially carry story spoilers.

Characters and Story

Puzzles
The tumbler puzzle is nice. I've only played one but considering that I can keep playing it until I solve it with no consequence I foresee issues. If the puzzles are repetitive in the sense that nothing ever changes in the puzzles other than the number of tumblers it will get old fast. Since I can just spend all day on these puzzles you should have features that add to the difficulty curve. One innovation when it comes time to add to the difficulty curve could be doing things like having one tumbler effect other tumblers. Like every time you lift one it brings the other down one. Or every time you lift one more than twice consecutively it drops one down completely. ECT.

So far no bugs other than the exploitable feature found. It's not broken, which is a good start. Now you just got to make it immersive which is the trick of it.

Top Top

Alex898
  Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Wow! Thanks for the indepth notes Captain Murphy. The mapping I am definetly going to touch up, I think it gets better the further you get but alot of the earlier maps do need to be improved in retrospect. I will keep your tips in mind as I work on the maps.

As for the battle system thing, that is a very nice find! None of my testers or anyone else that had played my demo noticed the XP problem when enemies run away, which is something that I am really going to need to figure out how to fix (for obvious reasons). Its kind of funny cuz I made it so the enemies escaped so that people can't completely overlevel but now it ended up that doing that just makes it easier to over level. Eye Poke actually for me ended up being one of the most balanced skills in the game. While it can completely screw up bosses or enemies for a few turns if it blinds them, there is a chance when you do it the boss won't be blinded, and since the skill does less damage when it connects than a normal attack it makes it risky to use the Eye Poke skill cuz you can end up wasting your turn (and 200 SP).

As for the potions, part of the trouble I had was balancing them with the later portions in the game. Early on they are not all that useful, but as you get later in the game Sirena's healing spell becomes alot more inferior to the potions which heal 25% of the total HP whereas Sirena's spell only heals a set number of HP, so when your party members have thousands of HP themselves the potions become much better. I originally had them alot cheaper, but found that once you got further into the game you had more than enough gold to buy a huge amount of potions. The other major advantage potions has is anyone can use them. For my party system, I have it so you can only have four in battle at a time and you can't change once the battle starts. Later on you will get battlers who have more health and attack than Sirena, so the player may choose to put them in the party instead of her. This makes it so that in order to heal in battle one will have to use the potions to do it. For the first few chapters though, I'll have to find a way to further balance this.

Story comments

Content Hidden

Ironically enough, locks that you have to pick later in the game do have it so when you lift one it brings another one down, the first few locks are incredibly simple and easy to allow players to get used to feature.

Top Top

So fist
  Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

You could fix the potion by having it operate on a common event with a conditional branch that operates in this manner:

#Variables
quarterhp == .25 * Actor's HP
default_restore == 400 (or whatever you think would be fair)

#conditions
if
quarterhp is less than or equal to default_restore
restore actor hp by default_restore
end if

if
quarterhp is greater than default_restore
restore actor hp by quarterhp
end if

Top Top

Alex898
  Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:06 am

Hey guys! I am still working on this game and I managed to fix ALL of the major glitches i was having with my scripts! To celebrate, I uploaded a new version of the demo and have some new screenshots up, enjoy!

Top Top

Alex898
  Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:27 am

Hello all, I just thought I would give you all an update since I haven't posted in a while. The game is now 75% complete and I have uploaded some new screenshots. I expect the final version to be ready in the fall, and if anyone would like to be a beta tester for it just let me know.

Top Top

Alex898
  Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:15 am

Hey guys! The finished version of Bloodsphere has now been released, check it out!

Top Top

regi
  Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Hey, looks like you spent quite a bit of effort on this. Completed projects are always something to be proud of, and from the diverse areas in the screenshots, it looks like this is a long one at that.

That said, people have said this before, but it needs repeating: mapping definitely could use work. Many areas are too linear or too open, and some screen tints (the bright green and blue) just burn the eyes. I would definitely recommend Tindy's Mapping Guidelines and the Mapping Improvement Thread. I'm sure, with a bit of effort, your aesthetics will improve dramatically.

Top Top