Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
    Princess Amy
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

What is Afar?

Afar is a free online RPG game. The focus is on exploration, storyline, and battles.

Released in the last quarter of 2010, Afar is the child of the Vengeance project (2007-2010) and various other games. The game was restarted as a PHP browser game in late 2010 and quickly released - since then it has grown to over 400 players, with a record of 100 online at once.

This thread is out of date and will be remade soon.

Live News from Twitter

[ The twitter box is currently disabled. You can access this twitter profile at: @afarrpg ]

The State of Afar

Since the game is updated as much as daily, it is hard to keep a project thread updated!

I'll try and keep it all up to date as much as possible but the best way is to play the game. It's simple - you just need a username and password. Signup literally takes a few seconds!

We are currently in the second build of the battle system - unique to Afar - which now features skills and battle items.

The World

As it currently stands, this is our world map:

You navigate the world using the four arrows shown on the screenshot above, but you can also access some key areas via the world map, once you have unlocked travel to them.

Storyline

I haven't done the best at exploring the storyline I have planned, I'll admit. I hope to introduce more in quests in the future.

There are three books in the game at the moment (freely available) which provide some insight:

History Book
Book of Ivesus
Textbook
The Western Wars

You gain gold as you play or by defeating enemies, of which there are currently over fifty. I am not revealing the algorithms and they are ever changing as I tweak and balance the game. You can spend this money on items in shops.

Image Image Image

You can also gain gold by referring other players; how to do this is shown in game on the main screen.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Structure

Afar is created using PHP and javascript, with phpBB providing a base for account authentication and forum posting. It uses graphics provided by First Seed Material, Enterbrain, and others created by myself.

The amount of my own code has risen a lot since last time I spoke to you. The battle system was created entirely from scratch for example, as well as various other systems. Most of the game aspects are my own code, with the phpbb backbone merely serving as a good base for authentication, forums, and moderation as well as the admin cp.

Quests

Quests are the current big production area; at the moment there is one completable quest and one almost-completable (just no ending). There are ten planned for release this month (June 2011).

Image Image Image Image

System Requirements

You must have javascript enabled for the domains:

afar.ws
jquery.com

jquery is a javascript library, visit the jquery.com website for more information.

Otherwise your gameplay will be severely hindered. I may block users who do not have javascript activated in future because this may cause unfair advantages; it doesn't at the moment (other than making screens such as the inventory just not work).

High Scores

Because of our now large userbase we now have highscores. You are rated on either your gold amount, or your cumulative exp from all stats.

Stat signatures are available which update regularly:

If somebody registers from your sig, you get gold!

Accessing the game

http://www.afar.ws

Inspiration

The Netplay project for getting me into creating MMOs,
VDex for making me realise my old idea of making games using forums could actually work
W3schools for teaching me PHP
Tomas for helping me with javascript and showing me better ways of doing things
Everyone who helped me with Vengeance before <3

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SamuraiHitok
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Your story seems interesting, and I like what you did with your HUD.
Especially the top menu. =D

E t e r n u s: Online

Top Top

Digimon Readerusama
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:05 pm

OMG!!!!!! You make yourself scripts for your MMORPG ok? But i never see the Scripts in another place, VERY GOOD BOY!!!!!

Top Top

Lackluster
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=Digimon Readerusama;199359]OMG!!!!!! You make yourself scripts for your MMORPG ok? But i never see the Scripts in another place, VERY GOOD BOY!!!!![/QUOTE]

馬鹿である

Nuff said.

More Quotes on Truth

Top Top

shadowfox
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 pm

The different editions idea sounds nice, but if you're gonna be spending your own money, that might be a little costly. If some people don't purchase some of the other non-free editions, then you'll be losing money. That's what I don't like to happen.

I like the general idea of the game. It appears that you've put a tremendous amount of time and effort into making it what it is now. I just hope you don't lose sight or track of this project. (since you plan on making it commercial)
Personally I would p2p if it's good enough.

I would suggest, and I'm not saying for you to do it, that you make a free-play download, or even a trial version like most MMO's tend to do. Then make it a 1 time fee to purchase the full game with different options for them.
Just a thought.

[QUOTE=lackluster;199389]馬鹿である
Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

So desu ne.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue May 01, 2007 4:03 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Basically, what I was thinking of for cost was:

Free edition
Contains a limited amount of gameplay, around 10-20% maybe
?FREE

Download edition
Contains the full game but no added extras
?7, download only

Standard boxed edition
In a box, sent through mail, with extra shiz
?10 + p&p
(Basically, the cost to produce the stuff would amount to around ?4 taking VAT into account).

Collector's boxed edition
Same as standard but with lots of extra stuff
?20 + p&p
(The cost of making this would be around ?10, based on my thoughts at the moment).

Quote:
OMG!!!!!! You make yourself scripts for your MMORPG ok? But i never see the Scripts in another place, VERY GOOD BOY!!!!!

OMFG!!1!!!1oneone!!!1!!!! I not make scripts by myself, ok? Base system by Netplay+ created by Meâ„¢, Mr.Mo, Trebor777, and others, as it says in the credits, ok? The scripts are in another place if you look hard enough, VERY GOOD BOY TO YOU TOO!!!111oneone!!

Top Top

Lackluster
  Tue May 01, 2007 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=Wyatt;199653]Basically, what I was thinking of for cost was:

Free edition
Contains a limited amount of gameplay, around 10-20% maybe
?FREE

Download edition
Contains the full game but no added extras
?7, download only

Standard boxed edition
In a box, sent through mail, with extra shiz
?10 + p&p
(Basically, the cost to produce the stuff would amount to around ?4 taking VAT into account).

Collector's boxed edition
Same as standard but with lots of extra stuff
?20 + p&p
(The cost of making this would be around ?10, based on my thoughts at the moment).

OMFG!!1!!!1oneone!!!1!!!! I not make scripts by myself, ok? Base system by Netplay+ created by Me?, Mr.Mo, Trebor777, and others, as it says in the credits, ok? The scripts are in another place if you look hard enough, VERY GOOD BOY TO YOU TOO!!!111oneone!![/QUOTE]

I shall sponsor this with my massive credit card max limit! O_O

More Quotes on Truth

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 pm
Staff

Staff Chick

roflmao.
Are you going to convert to N+2?
Screenshots look laggy.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue May 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Dude,... how can something look laggy?

And of course I'll be converting to 2.0 :)

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue May 01, 2007 4:43 pm
Staff

Staff Chick

It's very busy with scripts.

Top Top

Jstreet
  Tue May 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Alias: Panda
Sponsor

I'm guessing the demo will be the "free version" of this?

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue May 01, 2007 6:31 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The free version will be slightly more than just a demo as unlike a demo, it will still be updated and expanded over time, and wont be discluded from special events etc.

Imagine like this: the paid version will be updated 5x more than the free version. Or something like that.

Top Top

Twin Matrix
  Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 am

[QUOTE=Wyatt;199671]Dude,... how can something look laggy?

And of course I'll be converting to 2.0 :)[/QUOTE]

Lmfao. One of the few times I actually laughed when I read something.

Anyway, good luck with the game. I'd be happy to play it when it's released. ^_^

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Well, the first quest and cutscene has been made, it's called "Monty and the Naga". I was gonna call it "Monty's Python", but er... hehe.

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Wed May 02, 2007 5:34 pm

You know whatI think about this (I really like it).

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Security!

I have put a fix for two known security issues:

-Debug
It checks to see if the $DEBUG flag has been taken off, and if so, posts a message, closes the game, and *will* send your IP address to the moderating team. (Can't do the last bit 'till 2.0 comes out).

-Unencrypting the game
The game now checks to see if the game is encrypted or not, if it isn't, it shows a message, closes the game, and *will* send your IP address to the moderating team.

Screenie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... gotyer.png[/IMG]

In case you are thinking well, I'll just unencrypt it and delete the script, it's done like this:

In one large script,

class Some_Name
def initialize
do_next_method
end
end

In another,

class Some_Name
def do_next_method
do_3rd_method
end
end

...and so on, and each is duplicated. So, if you did find one of the script chunks and deleted it, it would get a noMethodError anyway, either that or one of the duplicated would run instead.

Top Top

Mr.Mo
  Sun May 06, 2007 8:17 pm

The game looks good. I like the whole idea behind it. Fighting same levels is alright i guess. I would rather fight in a level range, like 5 levels lower or higher.

Support Express Game Maker!

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That could work, but this way you (level 9) could play your friend (level 2) and still be equally as powerful.

Top Top

Sonata
  Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Sponsor

Man this looks like a sexy online game

Top Top

Fate
  Sat May 12, 2007 9:50 pm

Man this is looking very spiffy it would challenge my online game ;)

Top Top

WeissRaben
  Sat May 12, 2007 10:13 pm

It seems very good...go on this way :thumb:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2998/r ... barws3.png[/IMG]

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I've found someone who is making the game's music for free.
I also found someone who might be making the graphics for payment.

So, music and graphics should be alright.

This is an early draft of a few pages of the campaign book for the first campaign, "Inquisition".

campaign information

Download link - Microsoft Word 2000

The campaign book is not needed to play the game, think of it as a "supplement" to the campaign.

Top Top

shadowfox
  Tue May 15, 2007 7:04 am

that campaign idea is something I like.
Kinda reminds me of how Lineage II does its major updates.

Outta curiosity...any ETA of the alpha/beta release?

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue May 15, 2007 7:25 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Any time between around October '07 to January '08 sounds reasonable. After September I'll be getting paid ?20 a week, and I need ?200 for a server, ?60 for a web host, ?10 for a domain name, that sort of thing, I think around ?350 is needed but I'm not sure. But basically as soon as the server is bought, graphics paid for, and a decent amount of the game is made, it should be ready.

A Beta might come sooner though.

? = GBP, for some reason pound signs don't work.

Updates
Did some more mapping on the second 200x200 map. Almost 1/4 of the map is covered by "dense forest", similar to the first map but more er... dense. There's also the Archipelagos, a string of islands all connected by rope bridges and protected by a great sea fortress.

Also, finished the second quest - "The Beginning". Lame name I know, but this is the first quest of the Inquisition campaign basically.

Last edited by Princess Amy on Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Release date announced
The game will be released during the week beginning 17th December 2007. This gives time for saving money, making the game, alpha testing, and bug fixing.

Record of Progress - 16th May 2007
Estimated only

Campaign book: 13/100 pages written 13%
Campaign: 2/20 quests made 10%
Quests total: 3/(50?) made
Map 1: 100% made
Map 2: 33% made
(Not sure how many maps there will be, but by "map" I am referring to 200x200 exterior maps, not counting the many hundred interior maps which exist already).

Money saved: ?0 / ?250 0%

Last edited by Princess Amy on Sat May 19, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

brendtrayer
  Sun May 20, 2007 1:45 pm

hello, your game sounds great, maps ok etc.

what domain hosting server are you going to use, i need one

what do you make your website on?

Top Top

$t3v0
  Sun May 20, 2007 2:09 pm
Britfafafafa
Awesome Bro

Oh wow! Looks neat. What are you using of mine within the game? I'm curious :>

Top Top

Draken
  Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Your sexy attitude. :)

Yeah, looking good Wyatt. Seems like an Online game for RMXP that will actually be finished! YAY!

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
@$t3v0: Just your cool shark at the moment :)

And yes, your sexy attitude.

(Don't worry I'm gonna make sure with everyone whose graphics I've used before I release the game to make sure I can use them in a commercial game).

Quote:
hello, your game sounds great, maps ok etc.

what domain hosting server are you going to use, i need one

what do you make your website on?

Eh? If you mean web host, freepgs.com. It's $3 for their cheapest package, $30 for their most expensive.

I made my website in Macromedia Dreamweaver.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Thu May 24, 2007 7:27 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Merchant Skills

Something I always liked about a game called RuneScape I used to play was the idea of skills... Then I saw it used in many, many other online games. But this whole concept is terribly flawed, and there is one thing that ties up all these flaws: grinding. I don't want people to have to mine 2,048 iron ore and 4,096 coal to advance to the next area; I don't want people to have to kill a certain amount of fish to become the best player in the game.

So, skills are coming into Vengeance, but a lot differently.

-Every time you use your merchant skills, you gain something which has a trade value. I.e. rocks you have mined, fish you have caught, materials you have "dug up".

-You do not however gain "EXP" from this.

-You gain "EXP" in those skills in the form of rating. You get this only from completing quests.

-So, constant grinding may get you money, but it wont make you the "best player in the game" - that must be done by completing quests.

-There are going to be daily limits to the amount of "stuff" you can "get" from merchant skills, and this "cap" rises every time you reach the next rank. So, even if you are a macro-er, you can't get as much in a day than somebody who has completed a lot of quests and become good that way!

An old screenie, coming back to this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... skills.png[/IMG]

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next