Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
    Injury
  Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:46 pm
Ṱ̻̘o҉̸̴̮̬͉o̹̬̰ M̠͍͍͡a̧̺ǹ͍̝y̢̞̮̯ C̳͚͇̻̬͝o̴̡̲̼͕ͅo̶̢̧̠̫̹̳̬̣̭k̶̻̫̯s̴̰͖̭̟̱̯̀͜

Generic Townsperson
battle was easy...then again I crush almost anything at this point

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:12 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Thanks for trying it. I will work on a test character whose stats I can manipulate and see if it's under or overpowered.

Some updates from the forums:

Port Glade

Snowfields outpost Port Glade has now been remade, although there isn't much to do there yet. Still, it's in fitting with our Christmassy theme!

Ivan Camp

Another outpost has been remade: the Ivan Camp in the snow fields. This camp originally had a long history planned for it but it never happened; perhaps in a future update the snow fields will be better explored. There isn't much to do here other than unlock a new world map location.

Desert

Damascar Town (part one) has been made in the new style although there is nothing to do there as the desert lies unfinished largely.

Towns like Tiben and Damascar are pretty important locations and so eventually will have several of these kinds of maps.

Tiben North

Tiben North was created a while back as a quest location but never used. For now, it has been given a shopping street, although nothing is open yet! Look out in the near future. At the moment this map serves no purpose other than to look nice and replace the "under construction" text. It also helps Tiben seem like a lively and large place.

Top Top

Injury
  Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Generic Townsperson
You should try hitting up the sewers, I know its small, but it would be nice to see that part finished along with all these updates your doing.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
You're right, in fact it's the most mentioned thing whenever someone finds a link to the game. I've given it some text and graphics but I think it will be part of a quest in the future. I think it's also a chest spawn point?

I've also added a map for Tiben Castle which is for a planned quest. Not much to do there but adds some exploration value I guess.

Top Top

Injury
  Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Generic Townsperson
OK, cool idea then!

You have a creepy hermit who is down there. He has a key which you need to get from him, but only after you started the quest elsewhere...The key would be used in the north on the well that sits there. You use the key and open up a new area/quest/blah?

Maybe the creepy hermit could be a vampire trying to get back to the myre after getting kicked out...idk

Just throwing around ideas here. Glad to see the sewers got some improvement!

If your still lacking in textual descriptions of areas, make a list of the areas and I'll help if you want. I'm bored as shit. 109 days until I ship out so please give me something to do haha

PS- The Damascar castle looks badass! MORE OF THIS PLEASE

Top Top

Kingdom Ablaze
  Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:14 am
Smile, you never know when you are on camera!

i played for like 30 sec and got this screen(after clicking resume game) just wanted to know if i broke it or what ever lol.

Kingdom Ablaze: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingdomAblazeTradingCardGame

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Sorry about that. Resume Game takes you to the last location to visited, but if you haven't visited anywhere yet it seems it broke. I've added a wrapper for it to fix that (it will just take you to the index).

Resume Game stores the last place you visit from explore or world map.

Top Top

Kingdom Ablaze
  Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 am
Smile, you never know when you are on camera!

oh ok :D soz

Kingdom Ablaze: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingdomAblazeTradingCardGame

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:05 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Things were a bit slow over the holiday period, however today sees a large update which will lead to further expansion in the future: the spellbook.

Image Image

All users now start off with two spells automatically equipped: fireball and rockfall. (Nothing new there). Now however, you can find new spells in various parts of the game, which can be learnt. Once learnt you can choose up to nine spells to take with you into battle.

To access the spellbook and choose your nine battle spells, click Inventory and then Spellbook on the right hand side of the screen.

There are currently four spells in the game. Fireball and Rockfall are learnt by default.

Image Image

Lightning Bolt and Heal are two new spells. You can learn these by using two new items from the inventory, knowledge scrolls which can be found by fighting enemies as occassional semi-rare drops.

More spells will be coming in the near future. If you find any errors or problems with this or any other updates, please let me know ASAP.

Top Top

Injury
  Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Generic Townsperson
OMG sweet tits! *runs to check afar*

Top Top

Injury
  Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Generic Townsperson
Afar is broken?

I logged in and it looks like a mobile version of Afar. Can't access menus at all...Moved around and then got stuck in a location because the arrows are clipped.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
o.O It should only do that if your user agent contains either afar or iPhone, that's weird.

I have removed that functionality for now -- is it fixed?

--

A new spell, Phantom, has been added. This spell is obtainable from a scroll which is dropped by some enemies.

It costs 15mp to cast, and summons a tiny ghost.

Top Top

Injury
  Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Generic Townsperson
much better thank you! I'm using chrome btw

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:53 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Tonight should see an expansion to nine spells in the spellbook, one for each of the proposed elements. After that there will be enough to have to choose your spells carefully before going into dungeons and such.

Heat
Earth
Electric
Healing
Emotion
Water
Cold
Air
Light

Hopefully a future update will introduce the concept of status effects, making spells so much more useful and strategic. Enemies will also be able to use them. Depending on how much time I have I might even get started on that tonight but no promises.

Tonight by minimum there will be the nine base elemental spells, anyway.

Le Big Update

UPDATE

There are now nine spells to choose from. They correspond to the base elements.

Heal heals the player (funnily enough). The rest act on the enemy, causing a variety of damage depending on the spell.

All spells are subject to future buffing/nerfing as required to balance them; they have been given prospective stats for now. Please let me know if you feel they are too powerful (or not powerful enough!)

Spells will have more impact once status effects are done. Enemies will also be able to use status effects to inflict things such as poison, freeze, etc on the player (and vice versa), adding an element of strategy to battles which is much needed. Watch this space.

The Spells

There are now nine spells then, two are learnt by all players to start them off; the other seven are learnt from spell scrolls which are currently obtainable from battle.

They are:

Fireball (heat)
Rockfall (earth)
Lightning Bolt (electric)
Heal (healing)
Phantom (emo)
Sonic Boom (air)
Shard (cold)
Splash (water)
Stardust (light)

They do a variety of damage and require different MP to use, to add some variance, however elements are not yet implemented. Spells will be more useful once elements and status effects come into play.

So, happy hunting!

I have given each spell scroll a different level of rarity, to make things more interesting. I thought they might be too rare, however I have picked up a few on my travels.

Basic spell scrolls can be sold and bought at the tat exchange, however more powerful scrolls in the future may not be buyable or sellable, and some may only be obtainable from quests.

Introducing another hefty update to the battle system:

STATUS EFFECTS

When fighting an enemy, they may invoke a special status effect on you. You can have more than one effect on you at the same time.

Currently the only effect is poison.

If you have poison, you are dealt an extra four damage per turn on top of any other damage.

How do I know if I am poisoned?

Your HP bar will turn green, and you'll see a large green +4 on the screen when your damage is shown.

How do I get poisoned?

Some enemies (currently all snakes) have a random chance (about 1 in 2) of invoking the poison condition.

How can I poison enemies?

Some items can be used in battle to poison enemies! Currently Fungi (the green mushroom) can be used to give the enemy poison, and this is a 100% chance.

==

NEW SPELL

There are now ten spells in the game (so you'll have to choose carefully what to take with you!).

Toxicity is a non-damage-dealing spell. It invokes the Poison condition on the enemy.

You can learn it from a RARE knowledge scroll obtained from battle.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Everything Burns

Making battles more interesting again: stacking status effects.

There is a new status effect called Burning, which basically means you're On Fire.

While on fire you'll take an extra 5 damage every turn.

Currently, the only way to be set on fire is a chance attack from a dragon (hidden boss location).

But there's a twist

Status effects can now stack. If you're on fire, taking 5 damage per turn, and are then poisoned, you will take 9 damage per turn as both still take effect.

(You'll see this by a chain of numbers under your hit counter for each effect on you).

In future there will be negative damage effects (continuous healing, sometimes referred to as regeneration or regen in other games), which also stack. So you could take -2 damage from healing, +4 damage from poison; in total you'd take 2 damage.

----------------------

When fighting melee with a fire sword, there is now a 10% chance that you will set the enemy on fire.

Fire swords have therefore been nerfed to +1 melee.

----------------------

Kamekaze

A new spell has been added. Somewhat of a dud really, given what it does, however it is useful in some situations!

Kamekaze takes 50mp, and deals 5-10 damage to the enemy.

...it also sets everyone on fire.
...and deals 1 to 10 damage to the player.

This is a very rare spell (level 5 rarity) and is available from battle.

---------------------

Prepare

Spell number 12, and this is an exciting one, as it paves the way for multi-spell Builds, which is the point of the spell selection system.

Prepare is a spell that is designed to be used in conjunction with another spell. It deals no damage (so essentially, you skip a turn, while the enemy can still barrage you with attacks), however it does give you a temporary status effect called Prepare.

While under Prepare, the next spell you cast will cost 20MP less.

Prepare itself costs 5MP to cast, so essentially overall you save 15MP.

What's the point? Well, imagine you have two spells: one uses all of your MP; one uses 12 MP. You want to use them both so...

Go into battle and use Prepare (-5mp, leaving you with 45mp)
Use say, Kamekaze (should be 50mp, instead costs 30mp, leaving you with 15mp)
Cast Rockfall (costs 12mp).

Note: Prepare wears off:
1. at the end of the battle
2. as soon as another spell is used

You can reuse Prepare straight after it, however there is no point, it will just be the same as skipping a turn. Prepare cannot be used to gain negative MP.

------------------

Forum Changes

The "Design Notes" forum has been split in two and renamed to better reflect what goes on there.

From now on:

News is a board where news and updates will be posted as well as important information. Discussion is encouraged!

Development Blog is a board where the concepts, future updates, and anything that comes to mind while working on the game, will be posted. Again, discussion is encouraged, and very useful. This is where the game will be shaped and where you can get your feedback directly into the game while it's being programmed.

Old "design notes" threads are being dumped in "news".

Top Top

Injury
  Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Generic Townsperson
I picked up a "Heal" scroll thingy and I used it. It said it taught me "Phantom" and that I could set it in my spellbook. I went there and had both spells. I'm not complaining, but that might be an issue :P

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Oh wow, that's what happens when you miss out a break;. Sorry about that (although it's probably not much of an inconvenience :p)

All is fixed.

Top Top

Injury
  Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am

Generic Townsperson
Hey

When your at the bulliten boards around the map, you can post and select "take me back to the last forum" and it will take you to where the actual boards are, not the content and its posts.

http://afar.ws/v/viewforum.php?f=14&aforum I think?

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Fixed, thank you. The secretforum is now unviewable to members.

Also fixed a reported bug where fighting a map battle on a map that had a boss meant you couldn't then go on to fight the boss.

Some more updates I think were missed here:

Christmas Cape

Christmas Cape (rare item) is now retired. A new rare item or set will probably appear to celebrate 750 players. 60 people picked up the item.

Clans

Clans have been introduced (called Guilds in other games, however after a good suggestion from Sevith, Guilds are going to be doing something else... more info later.)

A clan is a group of gamers, currently just operated by a forum thread ala games such as Battleon of the past. Someone has created a vampire clan, and Injury a beard clan, so join one of them (or create your own!) for endless... fun... hmm.

Clans will have more purpose once the system is automated. Clan leaders will be able to manage them, handle invites and kicks and such; clan battles will be automated and clans will have their own private leaderboards and such.

Homepage Modifications

Changed the layout of the landing page with new buttons and got rid of one of the scrolls. Thoughts welcome.

Image Image Image

Faces

Nothing big, some new faces added on request.

Image Image

Actually I thought there were more added than that to be honest, must have been lost somewhere, I'll look into it. More to come soon anyway.

Edit:

To make up for it have another 14. This brings the number of faces in the game up to 83, so there is a decent selection. Please let me know if you feel anything is inadequate or missing!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Source: http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/modules/refmap/ and my own edits. Please do not use these in your own game; see the Refmap license for more information on this.

------

Apologies for the constant changes, however I feel this one is more adequate as a battle monsters button:

Replaced with:

The idea is to make it more visible and obvious it's there, as many people miss it.

Feel free to offer your opinions.

As a reminder here's what we started with:

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Forum Moderators

I could do with one or two forum moderators to help out on the forums. They aren't very active, and what I need is a couple of friends to just take part in conversations, welcome new members, comment on updates (legitimately), and so on.

Abilities:
Posts display with a green background, and your username is bold and silver
Access to a moderator's lounge
Ability to hide posts from display by clicking a button (basically removing them from public view)
Ability to move posts between discussion boards

Expectations:
To be reasonably active. If you aren't on for a couple of weeks without warning expect your status to be revoked.
To be positive about the game and about new people who join.
Not to get into arguments on the forums.

Additional:
Forum moderators who've been there for at least a month will probably be added to the game as NPCs. Because of this, please pick a character name (and, if possible, username, although not so important) - that is befitting a role play and that you expect to keep for a while. This should be a reasonable name. No numbers, etc. It can be Name - Surname. It should not imply any important role (i.e. don't call yourself Administrator Javert).

When the game goes commercial there may be a small amount of money to come your way, but I can't promise to pay you. At the moment not even I am making money.

I understand that the role of forum moderator is actually a pretty big ask, but for some reason everyone wants to be one.

If you wish to apply please understand that:

- You might not get picked. I mean absolutely nothing personal by this. I am after very few people and obviously expect far more applications than actual roles.
- If somebody does get picked over you it doesn't mean I don't like you or that I like them more. Different people are better at different things.

How to apply

Please post an application here in this thread, explain why you want to be a moderator, your former experience (although the system is far simpler than most forums), and anything else you want to add that you feel will help your application.

Things that would help your application

If you have never posted on the forums before, or indeed don't know how to access them or how they work, it is highly unlikely you will be picked.

Posting around on the forums will definately help. Being an active player of the game moreso, as you will have something to talk about!

Statistics

The in-game forums basically represent a small forum in normal terms. 930 posts in 291 threads by 754 users, and an average post per day of only 2.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:22 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Also known as: stop Wyatt having to go out into the big world and get a real job

What is BIG Afar?

BIG Afar is just a corny name I've given to a massive planned expansion to Afar. It's less an expansion, more a change in ideology and work pace. The idea is that I would work on Afar as if it were a full time job - the end product would be something fantastic and far beyond Afar at the present - the catch would be I need user participation to make it work (and most of that will be down to advertising and marketting by me to make it happen).

To live comfortably, I need to sell something like 2,000 "copies" of the game a year, I think. Will that happen? Not sure, but it's something to find out. 2,000 isn't that many. We're not talking a huge game like RuneScape here.

What's the BIG idea?

To take everything BIGger.

Most of this comes down to a MASSIVE MINDMAP which I'll try to summarise the main points of here.

The most important parts

DAILY UPDATES

You can expect at least one update per British working day. Any days when there are no updates will have to have a good explanation. I might change the working pattern depending on circumstances, I'm not sure.

NO PERIODS OF STAGNATION

There shouldn't be big periods of no activity, such as University or whatever else.

The rest

Daily backups
Full backups will be taken daily and stored somewhere secure.

Active development log
A dev log will be filled in daily explaining everything that's been done and what's being worked on.

iOS and Android Apps
The apps will be finished to make Afar playable quite nicely on mobile devices.

Graphics
The graphics will be "improved" and replaced where needed.

Visual Equipment
Visual equipment will be active in battle. It's done, but there are no actual graphics for it at the moment.

Music
I will steal one of my HBfriends and force them to make music for me. For payment of course.

Paid Accounts
There will be special accounts which have some kind of perk to be decided. There will be many alternative ways of paying for this account because I don't personally like the idea of buying an account like this. Some ideas:

Yearly Annual
Like you'd get for a comic book, or like a Warhammer army book, the yearly Afar annual would cost £12 and would be 200 pages of guides, stories, behind the scenes pages, and artwork.

Novels
Something to think about for the far future.

Trading Card Game
Again, something to think about.

Other Merchandise
T-shirts, mugs, badges.

Soundtrack CD
I'd pair up with whoever makes the soundtrack music and offer a professionally made CD, of which we would share the profits 50/50.

Boxes Games
Something for the distant future.

All of these would be worth a certain amount of points, based on how much profit they actually yield to me. If you have enough points to cover the cost of the paid account, you're in. This basically amounts to buying the annual, most likely, which is the point of the annual.

Staff
More staff members will be recruited (although nobody wants the job at the moment). I'd have to think about paying them. Staff would have an active role in the game itself as:

Characters
To enhance the storyline and game world there would be characters taking part in quests and such with the player.

Role Playing
There would be a role playing forum which staff's character accounts would take part in alongside players.

Other Accounts
Other characters such as gods, Death, and other personifications would exist and post around the forums. Which leads us to:

An active forums
A proper forum theme (but a nice looking one, something retro) would be created so that the forums can easily be accessed as a standalone thing outside of the game, for people who want to.

Community Points
Will be spendable, with a store.

In-Game Chat
There will be a chat window inside the game, once I can find a nicely looking way to do it (it's actually implemented... but not active).

Map Commands
Furthering interactive mapping, there would also be buttons for dig, search, mine, fish, etc.

Random Events
Things will happen at random to aid the player or distract them with a quest, etc.

Merchant Skills
Would play a more important role with things such as fishing, mining, archaeology.

Personal Leaderboards
Websites, people, clans, would be able to make their own leaderboards and specify who is in them.

More Item Combinations
Just more things to make, with:

Recipe Books
Which tell you what you can make.

Proper Error Message Handling
More for me and so you don't get whitescreens.

Cutscenes
Animated scenes with more detailed graphics for quests and such, using:

HTML5 Minigames
Using construct 2. These would buff up merchant skills and cutscenes.

Interiors
You'd be able to go inside buildings and see what they look like.

Trading
Pretty important, the ability to trade items and gold between players.

An actual economy
Using auction houses, dynamic stores where the prices match stock, etc.

Elements
Elements, height, flying, etc will affect how weapons work in battle.

Bounty
ala Final Fantasy XII. You hunt monsters, basically.

Bosses
More bosses between maps, some of them random.

Rare Drops
Useful rare drops from bosses that people would actually want to buy.

Clans
A proper, automated clan system.

MORE MORE MORE
Just generally more of everything.

MORE QUESTS - which you'd actually want to play
MORE STORY - as it isn't there much at the moment
MORE ITEMS, SPELLS, ENEMIES, NPCs, AREAS

But When?

If people are actually interested then I will start this as soon as I finish University, which should be five weeks time.

I want to build as much hype up over this as possible. I want Afar to be all it can be, and that is BIG.

As for when the above would actually happen, remember I said daily updates. So, as soon as possible. I'd go through the list until they're done. The order they appear will be chosen by you the player, somehow. There are some high priority areas of course.

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:36 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Should've called it Afar Away...

Sounds good though, also if you're gonna' be changing so much, I could redo the graphics for you if you want, especially on the player, free of charge ofcourse :wink:

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Thank you :) but I don't think I'd be happy not paying you.

For now I actually give... an update!

Chat

Chat is in the game and working, please feel free to try it out. It should work and should be secure. To access it at the moment hover over the bottom right of the game screen.

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Paying me would be cool too, lol :P

Also yay chat! :thumb: I'll try it out now

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The big plan doodah thingy

Here's how it's going to work.

In... five weeks, I finish University, in theory, depending on if I pass or fail or whatnot.

From then I will be seeking a job.

In the time between ending University, and getting a job, Afar will be my full time job.

What happens after that is depends on you. If Afar becomes big, and earns decent money at the same time (I won't lie, that's the clincher) then I will get a part time job instead of a full time job and Afar will take up the rest of my time (if Afar then becomes self sustainable I will focus on it as my main job).

If Afar doesn't take off then the job is my backup plan.

Some opinions needed

I don't like the idea of people buying an Afar account, because I wouldn't want to myself. Instead what I want to do is set up various different merchandises and other things you can buy which give you an Afar account.

The main thing will be a yearly annual, which will cost around £12, printed in A4, at around 200 pages in length. This will include a behind the scenes section, game walkthrough, guides to various in-game things, character profiles, etc. It will also come with a game account.

What I want to know is, would you consider buying this?

It's a bit of a gamble, because I'd need to sell something like 4,000 copies for it to be self sustainable, or say 1,000 copies for it to work as a part time job. I really don't know how popular Afar will/can be.

Clans

I'd like it if people set up fan sites for Afar. It probably sounds egotistical or whatever, but I think it would be a great way to spread word of the game, and I want to really encourage fan sites. I will be creating guides to creating fan sites in Proboards or other free things, releasing graphics packs, premade forum themes, etc. If anybody wants help setting up a Proboards forum or simple website for their in-game clan, please let me know.

I think that clans, friendship groups, and fan sites are a really big way of spreading popularity for the game.

I am also open to any suggestions for how to improve clans and what the clan system should contain when it is automated in the future.

So let me reiterate, fan websites are completely fine and I will actively support them.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Outposts and Towns

Some areas have now been remade, in fitting with those that came beforehand.

Damascar

Straupuft

Faygrin's Fayre

Previously recreated areas:

Tiben Town

Tiben Port

Base Camp

West Gate

Port Glade

Ivan Camp

Frozen Well

Towns and outposts yet to be remade

- The Myre (crash zone)
- Sea Fortress
- Oasis
- Docks
- Vampire Clan

Edit: a bit rushed, I just want to get them all done quickly to a reasonable standard.

The Myre (crash site)

Edit 2: the Vampire Clan.

Edit 3: Next outpost: the Docks in the Eastern Desert.

Edit... 4?: First of the two left to do, the oasis:

Edit 5!: The final area has been remade, the sea fortress to the south of Tiben.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Summary of this week's updates:

New Homepage

Check it: http://afar.ws/v/homepage.php

I think it's pretty nice but please feel free to C&C. Any comments welcome.

850 Players: new rare set

To celebrate reaching 850 players a new rare set is available, given once per person when you enter the game. It consists of three items and will be available

for a limited period. The next rare drop will be at 1,000!

Image Image Image

Autospam Protection

Somebody is testing an autospam application to see if they can use it on the site (the answer was yes). I have created some things to protect against it, and it should no longer work. I would appreciate it if you didn't use Afar as a testbed for your dodgy spam. We will never spam other websites with our links, so don't spam ours. Thank you.

Standalone Forums

The "Afar Discussion Boards" are now online, and you can access them via a button on the game homepage. (Alternatively, bookmark http://afar.ws/v/?style=4)

Please let me know if you find any bugs (or indeed security issues! Hidden things that are not hidden, etc.)

The in-game forums are exactly the same, just the standalone forums are perhaps more accessible (and more search-engine friendly).

They aren't finished, and there is a lot of style work to be done, but they're here.

Reward for community participation

Community points will be used in a future store to buy things - including the chance to buy money off coupons for the paid game when it comes out (limited availability, first come first serve) as well as in-game items to boost your character.

To earn community points, post around on the forums! However there are also some additional ways of earning... or losing... points.

Create or join a clan

Creating or joining a clan gets you 20 points. You can only get this once (i.e. for creating OR joining one clan).

Create a fan website

Creating a website devoted to Afar will get you 50 points. You can only claim this once.

Being banned

Banned forum members will have their community points frozen until the end of their ban. Warned members may have their community points frozen for a set period of time.

-

Community points cannot be transferred between members. Trades between members which involve community point items will be looked at carefully to make sure duplicate accounts aren't being used. Trading community point items between duplicate accounts will not be allowed when trading is implemented.

If you want to claim your points please post here; points for general forum participation are automatic however.

Donations

A button has been added should anybody wish to donate money. You don't have to, but if you do it would be useful to put your User ID or Account Name in the "Notes to the game admin" field when you donate. That way if we ever have paid accounts you can use the money you've already donated towards that.

Thank you to Icedmetal and Megaflare who have donated in the past.

Google Web Fonts

We have switched to using Google Web Fonts for the in game text. This move means that the game will look the same to everybody regardless of what fonts they have installed on their computer. The fonts we are using have not been decided yet so looks may change in the future, we are open to any thoughts and comments (please use the suggestions board).

Other Things

Progress has been made on the background music system - we just don't have any music yet. But I am confident that the system will work.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri May 11, 2012 3:53 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
New Quests

The Bloody Vampires quest has been completed, but it seems Herbs is broken. Sorry, I'll get on it.

The Elemental Caves quest has almost been completed but not quite yet.

Sarah's Quest Guides

Sarah on the forums has made some quest guides which aren't too bad (well, they work as guides, anyway!) Not sure who you are on hb (or if you're from hb?) I thought it was Holder because of the 'Who reference but Holder has an account.

The guides are in here. Contain spoilers / plot twists:

http://afar.ws/v/viewforum.php?f=19&style=4

Portals

In more news the portals to the four elemental dungeons are complete.

Image Image
Image Image

Top Top

Xilef
  Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

How do you design your quests? Come up with a story first, come up with tasks first or come up with location first?

Top Top

Amy
  Fri May 11, 2012 11:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It depends on the quest. The current quests aren't really very thought provoking (they're basic errand running things).

I have a massive map planned for Afar, most of it from Vengeance (which was pretty big and has a lot of content to draw from). Generally I have an A and a B in my mind, create them, then in a notebook write out a scenario for how I could get from A to B. Then I do the high school exam method, taking nouns, verbs, and adjectives from it, to create some variables (not quite that uh technical, makes sense in my head) and end up with a list of NPCs, a list of conversation pieces, and a list of areas.

Any maps between areas I slot into a grid to make sure the distances make sense, and then I colour code them in my file for whether they're completed, added but not finished, or not added yet, and further code them for the type of map they are and highlight any bosses and such.

But the current quests are too basic to portray any of this planning really. That was more in Vengeance.

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next