Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next
    Amy
  Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:16 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Hi all, it'd be really helpful if you could answer a poll on the game's future on the forums:

http://afarrpg.freepgs.com/forums2/index.php?topic=44.0

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:36 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Yarg.

A Christmas release is looking ever more unlikely.

Netplay+... is good and all, but... well, it's not the best system in the world. This isn't their fault, it's mainly because of it being free (less pursuasion to test and finish everything in time etc). I'm thinking of commissioning a scripter to make a Netplay+ like system that is designed specifically for Vengeance. Now this will cost a lot of money probably. Looking at SephirothSpawn's website for example he is saying a good price for the starter kits he makes (i.e. the pokemon ones) would be $150 to $200. I'm guessing a system such as this will be more than that even.

It's extremely unlikely I'll have that kind of money this side of Christmas. If I'm lucky, and don't spend anything (unlikely) between now and Christmas, I'll have about $300. But that would mean buying nothing at all.

If the google ads pay out ($30.50 so far), that's another $100. If triond pays out ($4 so far) that's another $50.

So it is possible but it's almost certainly not gonna happen, unfortunately. I was hoping so much for a Christmas release too...

Well, until I have that money I guess I'll be working more on the actual game content, such as quests, etc. I will be adding more to the Inquisition campaign, which I was leaving at a cliffhanger because of the short deadline. Now I guess I'll have to find a later cliffhanger for it, or finish the whole campaign.

In terms of a special event upon release, this is still possible. There are many events coming up. The spring equinox, Easter (which is not a Christian day, or at least wasn't, origionally), the summer solstice, etc, plus it's perfectly alright to make up our own special event for the release of the game, right? :)

(The reason I wanted a special event is because it would really get people playing the game in that first week. It would mean people would remember the start of the game, which is important for a game where players interact with each other for some reason. :))

For those of you who don't watch the forums, the quest list currently stands at:

Bear Hunting
Fishing
Ghostly Happenings
Having a Blast!
Mining
Monty's Python
The Barcrawl
The Popular Alchemist's Guild

Add to that the storyline quests ("Chapters") of the Inquisition campaign, and you have fairly large quest list. (15 so far I think for Inquisition, planned around 30 in total, plus the quests above of course ("optional" or "side" quests).

Top Top

Fate
  Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:22 pm

Lol I knew this wouldnt happen. Sorry but i waited all this time knowing you had nothing to release let alone its not online.. Doy uo actually still work on the game?

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:07 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Sorry but... you sound like a right asshole.

I've been working non stop on this game the past few months. Don't try saying I'm not working on it because how can you possibly know? The game's practically ready for release but for Netplay+, and things such as a menu system, finishing off a few bits and pieces, and an autoupdater.

Not much work, but enough for it to take until 14-12-07 as I'd planned, but for the trouble with Netplay+ and setting up my actual server... Which I spent a lot of money on. Would I really give up a project after spending that much of my own money on it?

Last edited by Amy on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Rare
  Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:11 pm
"bethany cut it out i amt rying to work here !!" - lol trollin' you since day 1 friend

[QUOTE=Fate;307992]Lol I knew this wouldnt happen. Sorry but i waited all this time knowing you had nothing to release let alone its not online.. Doy uo actually still work on the game?[/QUOTE]

Your sentence isn't even worded properly.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The reason it might seem like I don't work on Vengeance is that I tend to post all but for the most important updates on my own forums rather than here. If you visit the forums you'd see the design notes are updated at least once a week, if not daily.

(Though no new screen shots for a while... I'll take some when I get around to it.)

Top Top

Fate
  Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:56 pm

What i was trying to say was, that every good Online game that comes to mind by members of rmxp, never seem to have released it, If so not online. To be honest i remember when you made your first ever can Path to knighthood or something like that, But it was never released ... I just expected this to happen thats all

Top Top

Mr_Smith
  Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:10 pm
There is no IRL, only AFK.

Thats the fate.

#1 - Whenever you're thinking of ANYTHING throughout the day, post it on the forums
#2 - Even if you have nothing to say, post in PWOYM anyway, even a simple emote counts!
#3 - "accidentally" double/triple/quadruple post
#4 - Break your posts up into more than one at a time
#5 - Make pointless threads, such as this one
#6 - Start or encourage arguments as often as possible
#7 - Welcome all new members, even if you don't want to
#8 - Bump threads by asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to
#9 - Necropost in really old threads to get the activity going again
#10 - Troll EVERYONE

To quote Venetia: "note: following numbers 8-10 will result in your meteoric post count rise ending"

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'm gonna work on updating the first post now, since I haven't updated this topic in a month and haven't editted the first post since May. :) I'll get right on it.

Edit: updated first post massively.

Last edited by Amy on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Brosek
  Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:06 am

Looks fun Wyatt.. I didnt think you'd be a good designer... I swallowed my words.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Thanks... I think.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Unfortunately a release by 14th December... doesn't look promising.

New estimated release date, 21st March 2008.

Why? There are many things that have came up, that I need to sort out. I'd like to finish Inquisition before the game is released. Also, I need to save up some cash for some things in the game.

But, I bring you new screenshots:

21st March is the Spring Equinox. (I think, anyway). This allows for a special event at game release. (Working scrollbar :))
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... 29nov3.png[/IMG]

In the heat of battle. It's sad that one of the most complicated and useful scripts I have made is for the ads at the bottom of the screen. :/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... 29nov1.png[/IMG]

Finally, the Mage class trainer. I took the screenie at the wrong moment here probably, but oh well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... 29nov2.png[/IMG]

Top Top

Brosek
  Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:01 pm

I need to play this game.

Top Top

Impreza
  Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:26 am

Great screens Wyatt. But damn, why the new date has to be that long...seriously, from December to March! Anyway, hope you can bring more inprovements in the mean time.

MAPPER FOR HIRE !!

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Finished the Infernomancer class, with 5 levels. (May be advancable in the future).

At the end you are left with the skills smoke, fireball, and flame, as well as 7 more MP.

The trainers often see class training as some sort of drug... that's because power is. Power gets to your head. They give you power in the form of learning skills; you give them power in the form of EXP.

The way classes work, mean that you can grind all you want and rack up tons of exp, but unless you've completed enough of the game to get to a class trainer, you can't actually advance at all.

This is Rin, the Infernomancer class trainer.

(Note the ad has changed.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... 30nov1.png[/IMG]

In terms of classes, this is what you need to reach the max level:
(It starts at 50 exp, then is multiplied by 3 each level).

Healer: 18,200 (7 levels)
Infernomancer: 2,000 (5 levels)

There are other classes but I can't remember specific levels right now.

Note that Infernomancer is found at the start of the game, and has low level skills, while Healer is part way through and has medium level skills.

Note: Looking at this I might change these values.
x1.5 per level maybe?

Level : EXP
1 : 50
2 : 75
3 : 113
4. 170
5. 255
6. 383
7. 575

Last edited by Amy on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:33 am

Wow. This looks extremely impressive. I might actually cough up the money to play it!!

^_^

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/xephyr14/worldabovesig.png[/img]

Top Top

Fate
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:53 am

Just to prove my point i made earlier, i told you he wouldn't release it. I don't think he has anything other then a screen he just made quickly then put a border on paint...

~~ Fate

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:22 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Fate: SHUT THE FUCK UP. I am sorry but it had to be said.

I really don't appreciate someone saying things like that when I have spent around ?500 of my own money on this game. (My own server, rmxp, hosting, studio mx, not to mention I'm not spending any money at the moment so I can save up to commission some scripts for the game.)

I was just thinking of a way to prove it, but no, I shouldn't have to prove myself to someone like you, you aren't worth it.

~dunranting

To explain why it isn't released:

I found out there's some things I need that I'll have to pay for.
I am not getting my Christmas bonus until January, I thought it was before then, that's if I get it at all.
That time gives me time to add more things into the game making it better.
If I release it March 21st, then I know everything should be at least more bug-free.
March 21st is the Vernal Equinox, so I can hold a special event upon the game's release. (More players online even if just free, and they'll remember it better)

Last edited by Amy on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:40 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Well said Wyatt. Fate, you have no idea how much he has put into this project, have some respect for the guy.
This seems too good to be true, can you post a video showing it off please Wyatt?

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:43 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
If I can find a decent free video making program.

Well, I had an attempt at making a video, I'm just you-tubing it now.

Ok, here you go. It's a bit lame as I've never done video editting before, but...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSc1qZ2yOE

Happy now fate? :p

Last edited by Amy on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Fate
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Guys you completely understood the point of what i said.

Look at it form my point of view. I've been looking at games for atleast 2 years around, and the past year on online games. As i am planning to invest in one if it sells well. Every game i've seen thats online is no different to anything else. Until i saw yours. I thought it was fantastic. But the thing is every release date you set it's always cancelled and changed to a further date. So i just believe theres nothing here. But if you say you have done this well and it's worked then fair enough, but i can't believe that until online playing proof.

~~ Fate

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:07 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
So a one man team isn't allowed to change it's release dates? Hell, even real companies out there change release dates.

Btw, video is in my last post.

I have set two release dates in the past, and both of these I have stressed were estimated and completely dependant on how fast certain things are made. I made a mistake with how long I thought the server would take to install for example - instead of a matter of minutes, it's taken a lot longer, since there aren't many websites out there to help people who are completely new to Linux. Or setting up Netplay+ 2.0 - 1.x was easy so I thought 2.x would be too, and fair enough it was, but very unstabl-y so I've resorted back to 1.6.3, which has meant I have to script my own versions of some of the systems not in it. Plus things are unfinished in Netplay - such as bugs in trading, and chat bugs I had to fix, etc. All of these things take up time.

Top Top

tinkledoodle
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:13 pm

how do we buy?

Top Top

Sonata
  Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 pm
Sponsor

That was a great video Wyatt.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I notice Fate's disappeared now that I've actually posted a video.

Anyway, I managed to get a scrollbar working for the chat, and I've made it so that you don't walk when you click the chat box. (Previously, the point-click movement didn't differentiate between clicking the map and clicking the buttons/ads/chat...) Not much, but it's took me all week to do, so... meh.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:56 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

A week's work well spent I say :thumb:

Top Top

robot7979797
  Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm

were do i download it

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

[QUOTE=robot7979797;330101]were do i download it[/QUOTE]
Why do people say things like this? -_-
You can't! It's not finished yet :p
Read the entire thread.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:38 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Firstly, ignore the map in these screenshots, it's just a test map.

What these show:
> Messages are shown in message boxes, and then in the chat box for your reference. (As chat is scrollable).
> Legendary Foes have an aura around them so you can tell them apart from other enemies.
> To cast a spell/use a skill, you move the mouse over the tab that says "skills". A window appears with skill icons in, clicking them casts the skills. (Casting is currently broken, about to post in support :))

NOTE: The scroll buttons need to be changed, I'm getting to it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... /3dec1.png[/IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... /3dec2.png[/IMG]

The forums now have a whopping 32 members. What a lot of new souls... hmm. Join them, we need new blood!

Top Top

Branden
  Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:19 am

Hey Wyatt I joined your forums. :) I'm Vengence lover 101 in your forums, but anyways I am REALLY excited to play your game
and I knew from the first time i saw this it WAS real. :)

btw, you're a FUCKING moron Fate you are a lifeless ignorant bastard, did your parents beat you with a metal baseball bat to a bloody pulp? :D

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next