Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

BizarreMonkey
  Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Staff Chick

His red face melded, on poster of want...
This Rapscallion may relinquish the Naxonite haunt.

With red coat unique and devil eyes beneath,
Only he may wield the Perseverance to quell their teeth.

but shall he fall, to Naxon's folk--
our great nation, be doomed to choke.

Screenshots
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
More here: Imgur Screenshot Album

HASSLE-FREE EASY DOWNLOAD!

SO WHAT IS PERSEVERANCE??

Perseverance is an action-packed shooter that takes inspiration from Ratchet and Clank, Oddworld, V for Vendetta, LackadaisyCats and some others. The game features a lot of gunplay, but also has some more melee weapons for those who like a little hack and slash.

The game also heavily features puzzles, minimalistic platforming and other toys, but the most notable feature of all the mechanins is the 20+ boss encounters.

Perseverance could be considered an untitled prequel to Intelligence, seeing as it focuses largely on Pep's backstory. The game has cats with guns and also demon girls and eldritch pig monsters what else could you even want?

I mean outside of entirely awesome graphics, a 60 song OST and 6+ hours of gameplay, which we have all of, by the way!

Perseverance also has a deep compelling story and a very atmospheric world to learn about for those who have more control over their urges. A lot of items can be interacted with for various tidbits of info, comedy or other stuff.

The Game's strong suit is it's gameplay and storytelling-- but it also has very charming huggable characters... with guns!

THESE CHARACTERS SOUND INTERESTING! BIOS PLEASE!

You got it!

All of them are wanted, and have anywhere from a huge to fearsome price on their head.
Sketch Art on all of these is by the talented Zeirt.

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:44 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I finally had time to play this. But as soon as I got to the Action part the game dropped to 2FPS, making it unplayable for me.

So I opened up the project file to see what the problem was and quickly discovered it was the Collision Detection Events.
The way you have it set up, it's checking collisions of 24 possible projectiles, multiplied by the the number of monsters, every frame, regardless of what weapon is actually being used or if the enemy is dead or not.

It's much better to check for the weapon switch first, then do the collision check. I rewrote the collision events for mobs 1 and 2, and the game ran at 60 fps.
You could even go a step further and turn off the collision parallel process with a new event page, once the mobhealth variable reached a certain point; to reduce unnecessary computing.

However, I was really surprised you weren't using any common events! With a little restructuring you could eliminate the need to copy and paste all those repetitive processes.

Last edited by coyotecraft on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Staff Chick

Man... 2 fps?

For some reason this works just fine for me and other fellas, but I could easily restructure the encounters to work like that. I will actually do that, but it may take a while. It'd be good because it'd be more optimal for lower end PC's while not affecting those using higher end PCs.

I'm honestly shocked I didn't think of it. Developing this game for so long a lot became a blur.

Also I tend to avoid common events because from my experience they lag shit to god damned SIN. But thinking of it the way I have it set up... I could probably easy make collision detection for enemy events all happen on a common event basis. Wow, yeah, I could have a parallel for when the weapon switches are turn on, then just have the collision check and turn on iFrames and stuff for that.I'll make a copy of the project and see if that works well. If so I can just erase all the on map mob collision checks.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:56 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I was going to suggest that. It should work in theory. But then I remembered I discovered common events in MV are kinda slow to start for some reason, I don't really know how responsive it'll be until you try it.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Staff Chick

It seemed faster for me, testing it. But then the game is usually pretty fast on my end. Once I'm done purging the collision mob checker events and updating certain bosses that have unique collision requirements, I'll upload an updated build. If that works well for you or not, you should let me know. 2 FPS is unforgivable.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Staff Chick

@coyotecraft: here, this is experimental currently, but if it runs faster for you, then that's a good thing.
<out of date, go to first post>

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:27 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
BizarreMonkey wrote:
@coyotecraft: here, this is experimental currently, but if it runs faster for you, then that's a good thing.

Perfect. Running at 60 fps now.
On the second battle screen (Scene 0-7) one of the enemies was flashing red and growling, and wouldn't die.
Edit: Just played it a second time, and it didn't happen. Idk. Maybe a switch didn't reset from the previous map enemy?
Edit2: Then when fighting the following boss, it must be the iframes aren't turning off as soon as I hit him. I guess that's one of those unique collision events you have to fix.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 am

Staff Chick

coyotecraft wrote:
BizarreMonkey wrote:

Perfect. Running at 60 fps now.
On the second battle screen (Scene 0-7) one of the enemies was flashing red and growling, and wouldn't die.
Edit: Just played it a second time, and it didn't happen. Idk. Maybe a switch didn't reset from the previous map enemy?
Edit2: Then when fighting the following boss, it must be the iframes aren't turning off as soon as I hit him. I guess that's one of those unique collision events you have to fix.
Yeah, like I said, it's a little experimental. Once I have the time I'll do a thorough debug. The news that there's no fps issues during the not bugs is good.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Staff Chick

LARGE PERFORMANCE UPDATE

I've updated all the mobs and playtested until the end. Everything is working as intended with the new system.

FPS should as a result be a LOT BETTER.

I also fixed some minor typos in Act 5 and Act 6 and fixed a strange behavior with the Blood Council Encounter.

Final Boss now has his own iFrames, and he's very fun, though currently divine spears may be the only way to possibly beat him. Well, unless you use a Bible of the Anarchists and then rush him with an easy to aim decent damage weapon. But on the encounter I used the bible and he regenned the 80 HP it took off but I beat him using the Divine Spears anyway, did take a while but it was epic amounts of fucking fun.

Looking forward to seeing how your experience goes now @Coyotecraft.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Running good so far.
I have some thoughts about the animations and hit effects. But I'll keep it to myself until I play through the whole thing.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 am

Staff Chick

Rightio! Glad to see that performance update has been reliable.

So recently I asked some fella nicely and he did a Let's Play of this game, a first impressions video, and he liked it a lot for what he saw.

Top Top