Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371  Next
    Xilef
  Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Oh yeah, Threes! is pretty addictive ಠ_ಠ

Top Top

Jumping Jack Flash
  Tue May 13, 2014 7:23 pm

L1 Slime
Needs to be cleaner and slightly more original for me to get addicted to it.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Animated MD2 models look so much better with shadows

Even that sprite at the side looks better when shadows pass over it, this is a pretty cool mini project of mine. Would be great if I continued with it :U

Top Top

Amy
  Sun May 25, 2014 10:39 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Cool. Got a bit confused until I realised the cubesnake was also in shot. Thought her shadow was cubes!

Top Top

Amy
  Mon May 26, 2014 9:42 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
As predictable, my big empty map is... a big empty map!

Content Hidden

Probably bitten off more than I can chew here.

I haven't used the RTP in a long while, but getting there I think. Even this small area is nowhere near done but it's a start.

Top Top

jroovers
  Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 am

L1 Slime
Luka S.J. wrote:
I've got this to show if anyone's interested. It's not really a screenshot though

Awesome, I like it!
It's the kind of music that makes me want to play fun MMORPG's again like the good old days.

Top Top

DJ
  Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 pm
Game Making Weird Furfag Thing

Party Mascot

Heheh, Today just found out how to do additive blending in Unity 2D.
Also decided to add more realistic touch on explosion effect, I added short bright orange glow and several debris that jumps out from explosion.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Nice looking explosions. They're detailed but still just about cartoony enough that they match the graphics.

Top Top

DJ
  Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 am

Party Mascot

Princess Amy wrote:
Nice looking explosions. They're detailed but still just about cartoony enough that they match the graphics.

Yeah. I've got those explosion effect animation sheet while i googled some stuff few years ago, and it's quite perfect. I've been using it for several projects and i'm still using it. But i made the debris and orange flare light by myself.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Soft shadows (Look at the ground)

It's only a 512x512 resolution map there, there is a frame-rate cost so I'll have it as an option.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:11 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Cool. Is the softness complicated, like some kind of measurement based on how it would fade naturally or anything, or is it just fuzziness applied to a normal shadow?

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:03 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

It takes the shadow and depending on the material settings of the receiving surface it will blur the shadow based on neighbouring fragments.

I can make some surfaces blur the shadow more than others and even have some surfaces do a hard-edge shadow, which might be handy for some scenes.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:15 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That's great. I always get caught making things TOO realistic though, at the expense of resources. But the way things are progressing tech wise it's not so much of an issue nowadays.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:54 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

My goal is a rather unrealistic look, so I'm not really after hyper accurate effects. The more tunable the better, so having real-time physically correct lighting and more isn't always a benefit.

Later on I'll be implementing the outline and hard-edge lighting effects I've shown before, they kind of define my look, especially the purple outlining.

I remember writing something about how bloomed lights don't actually appear too often in real-life, but they look good when used correctly in games even in the wrong places, the goal should be what looks good rather than what is realistic.

EDIT: This is an old picture, it is still the look I am wanting. The issue with this old scene is that the world and the objects seem too separate, doesn't help that the objects have 2 levels of outlining and the world has nothing, so by adding shadows (And eventually a nice distant-object effect that I'll reveal in the future) I'm hoping to resolve this problem.

Unfortunately the graphics engine I used in the past sucked in a few key areas, lack of low-level access is a key one, which is why I planned so long to build my own one. Not to mention I'm a much better programmer now so I can now make something that is a lot less likely to break.
My university dissertation was an analysis of why the old engine sucks so much and why is failed :U

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:55 am
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Omnipresent Merchant

Hey guys... I'm back sorta.
Here, enjoy these things.

I have been a little busy, yes!

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:35 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Will listen when I locate my headphones!

Progress on tileset so far. It's not brilliant yet but it's a start.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:27 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

That looks totally awesome, Amy! Omg.

SHARE YOUR SECRETS.

Top Top

corleonis
  Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 pm
Cor Leonis

Party Mascot

looks nice, you should do more tile work.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:43 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Melanii wrote:
That looks totally awesome, Amy! Omg.

SHARE YOUR SECRETS.

At the moment all I've done is:

- put all the mine tiles together
- deceased the colour depth in irfanview
- come up with a palette and applied it
- copied and pasted the non rocky bits back in as they were
- copied in bits of other tiles, ie grass
- skewed some tiles in paint to create 45 degree turns to fit between curves
- created various degrees of slanting footer

Still a long way to go. This is going to be a comprehensive tileset.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
A few new bits.

Ledges, brackets, steps.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

So this is all heavily edited RTP? o.o

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
To be honest, and no disrespect to Wyatt, but it doesn't really look THAT heavily edited, just recoloured and skewed some tiles by the look of it...

Top Top

DJ
  Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:35 am

Party Mascot

So next week i need to present my project. Here are the screenshot and video i took just now.

Top Top

corleonis
  Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:50 pm
Cor Leonis

Party Mascot

looking really good, just a few things I'd like to mention.

1. the shotgun seems a little long and thin for something so beasty, couldn't you make it a bit fatter and shorter? think UT flakk cannon.

2. it looked a bit odd when you aimed behind yourself, you should maybe set it up so you turn to face the way you're shooting automatically.

3. any chance of character select and multi-player options?

4. any ideas for boss battles and storyline yet?

5. is this gonna be a commercial release?

anyways loving this project so far, really excited to see this progress.
if you need anything involving pixels or audio, feel free to drop a line... though I'm pretty sure you've got this beast in the bag.
keep up the good work and good luck.

Top Top

DJ
  Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Party Mascot

corleonis wrote:
looking really good, just a few things I'd like to mention.

1. the shotgun seems a little long and thin for something so beasty, couldn't you make it a bit fatter and shorter? think UT flakk cannon.

2. it looked a bit odd when you aimed behind yourself, you should maybe set it up so you turn to face the way you're shooting automatically.

3. any chance of character select and multi-player options?

4. any ideas for boss battles and storyline yet?

5. is this gonna be a commercial release?

anyways loving this project so far, really excited to see this progress.
if you need anything involving pixels or audio, feel free to drop a line... though I'm pretty sure you've got this beast in the bag.
keep up the good work and good luck.

1. Not really. It's standard 12 Gauge shotgun ( in the video it does have dragon breath round though ) So it's not that too beasty because i have something bigger like 7 gauge ( over 20mm ) Shotgun shooting explosive rounds... So i would leave making it fat for those.

2. Oh, that. Actually i programmed the character to flip when they reach certain angle, But this is my first time using this engine and the way object's angle is dealt with is kinda complex and buggy to me. So as you might see, the character sometimes can be seen aiming back under some condition and i'm still finding a way to fix it.

3. I have been thinking of that a bit, But i had limited time of one month so for now there would be only one character, and i'm not planning this as multi-player for now. Also the project is kinda... Set to be showing one main character's perspective so i don't know if i'm adding more playable characters.

4. I have some storylines and universe behind this project that i have been writing. I will be willing to put the boss fight, But this project has to be finished until next week... So if i have enough spare time after fixing the bug i'll be able to present the boss fight. Otherwise i will take a short break from this project and then put the boss later when i get some inspiration.

5. Not for now. This is my first time using Unity engine and majority of sounds and some of pixel arts must be replaced in order to go commercial. Plus, I have army duty coming next year (forced) and i dunno if i can steadily take time to develop the project.

So basically i'm making this in a big rush ( I have been working on this for only a month, and i now have only 3~4 days left ) , and not putting much quality on it for now Since this project is made as my exam.... which doesn't really have to be a big project from the start. ( Everyone in the class is new to this game engine so expected average quality of projects are really low. ) Also, i don't have the skill for now, i 'll have to study more and make more. But since this project also has my stories and my characters put in, i might continue on, fix bugs, enhance graphics even more and put more touch on it to make it better and big.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Are you entering unity's contest?

Top Top

corleonis
  Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 pm
Cor Leonis

Party Mascot

Well I already think this game looks ace so if you do decide to pick it up again after your deadline/submission then I would gladly do whatever I can to support this game.

shit, I could easily see this game getting a greenlight on steam if it gets enough love and care.

like I said before though, if you need any graphics I'm a pretty good spriter and if you need audio, well, I spent 2 years studying audio/music production so I'd jump at the opportunity to help out.

ps. when you're past your deadline you better link the demo up somewhere so we can all sample the delights.

Top Top

DJ
  Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:09 am

Party Mascot

Princess Amy wrote:
Are you entering unity's contest?

Not for now, I didn't knew there was a contest. So i'll have to search for it after my presentation ends.

corleonis wrote:
Well I already think this game looks ace so if you do decide to pick it up again after your deadline/submission then I would gladly do whatever I can to support this game.

shit, I could easily see this game getting a greenlight on steam if it gets enough love and care.

like I said before though, if you need any graphics I'm a pretty good spriter and if you need audio, well, I spent 2 years studying audio/music production so I'd jump at the opportunity to help out.

ps. when you're past your deadline you better link the demo up somewhere so we can all sample the delights.

That sounds awesome, and i just have discovered that my army enlist date has been delayed to November 2015 ( Mandatory ), So why not.
I will privately contact you if i move onto this project.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:00 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
This is the contest, you're probably eligible. It's just a crap thing to get a ton of games in the Windows Store to be honest, but the prizes are huge. http://unity3d.com/contest/windows

Top Top

Xilef
  Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:12 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Princess Amy wrote:
It's just a crap thing to get a ton of games in the Windows Store to be honest

Microsoft have been doing this tactic for a couple of years now, it's ridiculous they're just getting a load of low-quality games shoved onto the store. Quantity > Quality according to MS.

Here's a video of today's escapades

Probably a dumb idea for making it a video; this has FXAA and bloom applied (Currently the background white is blooming, I'll be adding a bloom texture to some of the models in the future).

Nearly back at the level of that anime-look I am going for (Did I ever mention that here?).

Runs at ~470FPS currently, no culling applied yet and haven't optimised these latest changes (Beyond shader optimisations).

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371  Next