Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 am
I'm a doctor in Costa Rica.
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Concept by Juan J. Sanchez

A world called Eorde...
An age when magick was commonplace
And kingdoms ruled the earth...

Our tale begins.

Juan J. Sánchez wrote:
October, 2011

To whomever reads this,

As you may or may not know, I'm a medicine student here in Costa Rica. Of course, I do not mean to stay here. I'd rather do a residency in the United States, preferably, Internal Medicine. For this, I have to take four very hard tests known as the United States Medical License Examinations (USMLEs), popularly called the Steps. These are Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK), Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS), and Step 3. All of these tests evaluate a different component of the medical studies, including the basic sciences, the knowledge of diseases and how to treat them, and the human side of medicine.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because I will be taking my Step 1 a year from now. I had originally planned to do it somewhere near December 2012, but I also have to take another test here in Costa Rica for my clinical rotations around November of the coming year. Taking into account I will be moving to Chicago to study for the Step 1 next June, it is simply not feasible going to the US, coming back to Costa Rica to take a test, going back to the US to take the Step 1, and then coming back to Costa Rica to start my clinical rotations in January 2013. So I will be taking my Step 1 next October.

That is to say, I'm already running late to start studying for this test, a test you are not allowed to repeat. I guess you guys know where I'm going to with this, that is, if you didn't get it from the thread's subject: I'm leaving HBGames.org, at least until November 2012. Hopefully, HBGames.org will still be here, waiting for me, unlike so many other RPG Maker sites that have, with time, come to their inevitable deaths.

I'm also putting Medina Stories on hold. Heck, I don't even think it can be called a hiatus if it's such a freaking long time. I'm releasing what I had so far too. If I would've had a few more months to work on this, I could have finished the core systems.

On the upside, if everything goes according to plan, and I hope it will, this same time next year I'll be one step closer to becoming a Cardiologist.

Although individually, I do not know any of you, as a group you guys are to me like a second family. And I will miss you. I'll miss helping people with Ruby scripting. I'll miss playing new RMXP games. I'll miss being both praised and harshly criticized for my project. I'll miss Wyatt's hermaphrodicity, Venetia's sexuality, Brewmeister and Bluescope's objectivity, and even Despain's idiocy (in occasions). I hope this is not the last I hear from you guys.

Sincerely,
Juan J. Sánchez
Director of Medina Stories

Medina Stories

This is the game up until now. It might also be all that it is ever going to be.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WH4APIV4

D | R | A | M | A | T | I | S
P | E | R | S | O | N | A | E

Content Hidden

L | I | C | E | N | S | E | S

Content Hidden

V | I | D | E | O | S

Content Hidden

S | C | R | E | E | N | S | H | O | T | S

Content Hidden

M | U | S | I | C

Content Hidden

D | O | W | N | L | O | A | D

Content Hidden

Last edited by Juan J. Sánchez on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:55 am, edited 64 times in total.

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 pm
Creator of Ascension

Is the license grid script selfmade? Because someone already made a script like that but this one looks different.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

gRaViJa wrote:
Is the license grid script selfmade? Because someone already made a script like that but this one looks different.

Excellent question. I made the script myself. It's based upon Renan Tsuneo Hangai Junior's (RTH) Ability Grid. However, the Ability Grid was poorly coded. I made this system from scratch.

It supports any sort of character statistics boost, weapons, armor and skills. You can easily define tile size, margins, text, bitmaps, board size, etc. Boards can be any size you want and can have as many tiles as you want. The script is also superior in the sense that you can define up to four different objects per tile. That is to say, by activating one single tile you can learn up to four licenses.

Additionally, I've made a Board Edit scene which allows you to easily create new boards. This is all in the demo.

As soon as I finish the weapons, armors and skills database, I will publicly release the code for anyone who cares to use it. But I warn you, it's over 2,000 lines long.

Last edited by Juan J. Sánchez on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Creator of Ascension

That's great. I using the older version too and it indeed has some flaws. Great that you are releasing it for the public. Is this project solely for promoting your awesome script or will it be a full fledged game (in hat case expect story and characters soon ;))

Top Top

Kaimi
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 pm

@medinastories: The game looks very promising as it looks now. I have some questions, though:
  • Will the Licence Board code have RGSS2 version, or it will have to be recoded?
    Over 2,000 lines of code are not scary, I've seen longer.
    The Licence Board making is a bit confusing with all these values, but I got it very quickly. So when you'll release it, make a good tutorial for newbies, too.
  • Are you going to script more Final Fantasy XII scripts?
Good luck!
-=[Kaimi]=-

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

gRaViJa wrote:
That's great. I using the older version too and it indeed has some flaws. Great that you are releasing it for the public. Is this project solely for promoting your awesome script or will it be a full fledged game (in hat case expect story and characters soon ;))

Medina Stories, as of the moment, is a full-fledged game in the making. However, it is still an alpha stage project, a concept game if you will. Before actually starting to work on the game, I'm building a backbone of scripts, music and resources to work with.

Kaimi wrote:
@medinastories: The game looks very promising as it looks now. I have some questions, though:
  • Will the Licence Board code have RGSS2 version, or it will have to be recoded?
    Over 2,000 lines of code are not scary, I've seen longer.
    The Licence Board making is a bit confusing with all these values, but I got it very quickly. So when you'll release it, make a good tutorial for newbies, too.
  • Are you going to script more Final Fantasy XII scripts?
Good luck!
-=[Kaimi]=-

1. I've never dealt with RMVX, hence, I don't know how to script in RGSS2. That is, it will have to be recoded (by someone else). :(

2. The Board Edit scene allows you to edit an existing board or create a new board. Its quite easy to use. Without it, it's practically impossible to manage boards, given the amount of data each board has to cope with. Boards are stored in the "Data" folder in an encrypted archive named Boards.rxdata. Each board can be up to 30 KB in size. It's quite compact.

3. I will be making more Final Fantasy scripts. Some of those might be from Final Fantasy XII.

Last edited by Juan J. Sánchez on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

Kaimi
  Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:10 pm

I've read prologue: as a wall of text it looks horrible, but I managed to somehow understand some of things.

Will you script FFXIII' Menus and FFX's Battle System? If you didn't know Charlie Fleed scripted it which reflects very well FFX battles. Screenshots for FFXIII's Menus I saw on RPGRevolution.com, but the script probably never came out.

Will the soundtracks resemble FF ones? I really liked FFXIII's, by the way.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Kaimi wrote:
I've read prologue: as a wall of text it looks horrible, but I managed to somehow understand some of things.

Will you script FFXIII' Menus and FFX's Battle System? If you didn't know Charlie Fleed scripted it which reflects very well FFX battles. Screenshots for FFXIII's Menus I saw on RPGRevolution.com, but the script probably never came out.

Will the soundtracks resemble FF ones? I really liked FFXIII's, by the way.

Thanks, I will modify the prologue to make it more understandable.

Indeed, I've seen Charlie Fleed's amazing battle script (I believe version 3.1 was the last update), and I'm planning to build upon it. I believe it's completely compatible with the other systems I'm building. Regarding the Final Fantasy XIII Menu, I'm writing it from scratch. I don't think anyone's build this sort of menu yet.

I haven't decided the music yet. I've downloaded the OST for Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII. But I'm also thinking of classical music for cut-scenes.

Top Top

Kaimi
  Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 pm

FFXIII's Menus were made by Shanghai on RPG Maker VX. However, they need some of Yanfly's scripts to work.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Kaimi wrote:
FFXIII's Menus were made by Shanghai on RPG Maker VX. However, they need some of Yanfly's scripts to work.

Do you think you can provide me a link? I tried googling but it didn't turn out so well.

Top Top

Kaimi
  Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:13 pm

http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_13_Main_Menu
http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_13_Equip_Menu
http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_13_Skill_Menu
http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_13_Status_Menu

Links to base scripts are at their script pages, respectively. Remember: these scripts are for RPG Maker VX.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Kaimi wrote:

Thank you very much. These screens are inspiring. However, as you already stated, these are for RPG Maker VX. Anyhow, I assure you, I can do better than that. Other than a scripter, I'm a good spriter, and that really helps when writing a scene.

Top Top

Kaimi
  Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

I know that not much can be done in two days, but have you done some more scripts for the game? Will they be released (if so, dates would be nice :wink: )?

Keep up the good work, okay?

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:08 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Kaimi wrote:
I know that not much can be done in two days, but have you done some more scripts for the game? Will they be released (if so, dates would be nice :wink: )?

Keep up the good work, okay?

I've been working on the Title, File Save and File Load screens. I also spent the weekend in a beach bungalow, so I didn't get much work done. Aside from that, I am in college, and it's very demanding.

I don't think I'll have the menu done at least in two or three months. I don't mean to be disappointing, but I've also got to be realistic. :(

The good news is, the project won't die, I'm simply taking it one step at a time. To give you an example, that License Board took me over two months of coding. So, I'd suggest you look for updates every week or so. :D

Top Top

Kaimi
  Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm

BTW: When are you going to release Licence Board, if at all? I'm very jealous about its look!

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:08 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Kaimi wrote:
BTW: When are you going to release Licence Board, if at all? I'm very jealous about its look!

Hopefully, this weekend. :D

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:34 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Bump! I've made some updates and nobody has noticed. : (

Besides, I could really use some criticism on character design.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

medinastories wrote:
Bump! I've made some updates and nobody has noticed. : (

Besides, I could really use some criticism on character design.

Even though I'm speaking to myself, I don't really like Bella's sprite. Seems almost as if he lacks character. Make him manlier. Also, how's it going with the scripts?

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:24 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Thinking it over, I really like the sprites of Flamma, Felis and Mirus. The other characters, however, don't entirely convince me. The colors are sort of a mismatch. Bella's hair color should be darker. This way, he would look bolder, as he's supposed to. The brown and orange tones of Juvo's outfit don't clearly match her red and blond hair color. Finally, what's up with Alis's armor? Gold armor and green hair? I could definitely understand silver armor, blue cape and green hair, sort of like Cyrus in Chrono Trigger. Come to think about it, the characters are kind of a Chrono Trigger version of RPG Maker XP. Keep up the good work, even though these sprites are clearly edits.

EDIT: By the way, isn't it illegal to post four times in a row?

Top Top

Kaimi
  Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:19 pm

As I know when original poster posts his/her posts in multiple succession they are called "bumps". I don't know how they are handled here, but "bump" is generally a post sent once every 72 hours (3 days) between each other.

Can't wait for a demo, by the way!

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:26 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Thank you, but I still have to sort out many important things before I can even think of a demo.
    1. Movement (this one, particularly, is killing me)
    2. Sprites (I'm on it)
    3. Battle system
    4. Menu system

So I'd say I'm still a few months from releasing anything substantial. I will need beta testers, when the time comes. Maybe you can help me out.

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 am
The arrow lives frugally.

double posting and bumps and stuff aren't that all important and shit that's gonna get you banned, as long as you're actually adding more information, actively contributing, and not BS'ing, especially in others' threads.

that said

the stream of made up words put me off for a moment. In exposition, i'd rather limit those kinds of words to like once/twice a sentence with a mention back to them every three so that the reader isn't overwhelmed and doesn't forget them as another those kinds of things that wasn't needed. also try to give at least a detail about whatever weird words appear, I was paused by Eparchia. also, For some reason, Provincia really put me off. o.0

i like the names. usually in some fantasy story, the names are inconsistent- check out the aerith and bob article at tvtropes. your names are distinctly latin in origin, ending in a/o or is/us,

there's really not much beyond this. It seems like an interesting game, and ambitious, but not too much detail. I see that setting seems to be thoughout, and based on character descriptions, story seems to have the general ideas done. I'm hoping, as a sort of final fantasy tribute, it goes beyond just war, as final fantasies usually have a whole bunch of crap that makes the war seem like a side effect later on. it seems hopeful, and hopefully it wouldn't fall under the weight of its own ambition.

good luck dude.

ps: the ragnarok sprites are a mismatch. 47 years old would doubtfully have such hair and stuff, and a sorcerer princess does not mean wearing bikinii robes. I do very much applaud the chracter ages though.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Daxis wrote:
the stream of made up words put me off for a moment. In exposition, i'd rather limit those kinds of words to like once/twice a sentence with a mention back to them every three so that the reader isn't overwhelmed and doesn't forget them as another those kinds of things that wasn't needed. also try to give at least a detail about whatever weird words appear, I was paused by Eparchia. also, For some reason, Provincia really put me off. o.0

I'm ashamed. My native language is Spanish and latinized words such as "provincia" make a lot more sense to me. I'll transliterate some of the text. You know, I did sense it was, perhaps, too heavy. By the way, Eparchia is a synonym of Empire.

Daxis wrote:
i like the names. usually in some fantasy story, the names are inconsistent- check out the aerith and bob article at tvtropes. your names are distinctly latin in origin, ending in a/o or is/us,

Thank you. Following the Final Fantasy tradition, I wanted cheesy names with a background.

Daxis wrote:
there's really not much beyond this. It seems like an interesting game, and ambitious, but not too much detail. I see that setting seems to be thoughout, and based on character descriptions, story seems to have the general ideas done.

I appreciate your sincerity. Right now, I'm in an interlude, while I build the framework of the game. Charlie Fleed's battle system has been really helpful. Everything else, I'm pretty much making it myself, including graphics.

Daxis wrote:
I'm hoping, as a sort of final fantasy tribute, it goes beyond just war, as final fantasies usually have a whole bunch of crap that makes the war seem like a side effect later on. it seems hopeful, and hopefully it wouldn't fall under the weight of its own ambition.

Well. I haven't thought so far ahead. The prologue of the story is about why Bella killed the king. It also shows how everyone in the game is connected to each other. The following chapter will deal with the fall of the Nabastaean Empire. Beyond this point, the storyline is a mystery.

Daxis wrote:
ps: the ragnarok sprites are a mismatch. 47 years old would doubtfully have such hair and stuff, and a sorcerer princess does not mean wearing bikinii robes. I do very much applaud the chracter ages though.

Brutal honesty. I enjoy criticism. Personally, I think 47 years old is pissing outside the jar. I think I'll have to lower that about a decade. Also, when I have time I'll edit the sprites. It's basically editing the faces. Now, as to why the princess is wearing robes instead of a dress, Flamma is in exile. The robes are sort of her street outfit. Also, I made Bella's hair color darker, and made his face more amiable. I'll do some more editing later. Currently, I'm undergoing final exams.

You're probably wondering what the setting of the game is going to be like. I'm borrowing all my graphics from Ragnarok Online, including buildings, landscape, objects, etc. Thanks to a software called BrowEdit, I've been able to take three-dimensional objects and give them a two-dimensional perspective. Even though it's a wearisome job, it lets me known the graphic part of the game is pretty much settled. Also, I've been meddling with the Mode 07 script, not as an in-game feature, but for transportation and cut-scenes. Remember the credits roll at the beginning of Final Fantasy VI? I've always wanted to do something like that.

However, I still don't know a rat's ass about mapping, dialogue, scenes or video-game music. Either I eventually make this a group project, or I'll have to watch a shit load of movies during vacations.

Sylvanor, the guy making Aedemphia, had absolutely no experience when he first started. He inspires me. He lets me know a single guy can make a full-fledged video game, even if it takes a decade.

EDIT: Can you give me the link to the article at TV Tropes?

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

By the way, I think there's some confusion with the sprites. You read them from left to right and from top to bottom. I know it's cheap, but each character has a different hair color related to their elemental nature.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention Medina Stories is, in fact, a group project. A real life friend of mine is helping me with the artwork. Here's the link.

http://fafabrizio.deviantart.com/

So, lets see how this goes. This project seems like it might go on for years. : )

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:54 am

as far as i can tell from my brief 2 day stint with RO and RO ds, most Ragnarok sprites look generally the same age, unless it's one of those child sprites or old men sprites. i mean, scroll up there and notice the facial sprite- it;s all the same round face with eyes, which basically sets normal chars at around 18-25. I'm not a spriter myself and have little knowledge of spriting/editing/frankensteining, but editing that to look 37/47 seems a bit hard

well, i understood that provincia mean province, that was sorta simple, but with the string of words before and after it helped in creating that befuddling effect, just a bit. But don't worry, since we're dealing with rpgmaker and thus more fantasy oriented stuff in these communities, people expect a lot of the stuff. I mostly try to think abut how such dialogues would be executed in game, and to a lesser extend, in introduction threads to the game like these. people make up a lot of words too, so you doing that wouldn't be anything new to them. I just like it better when the reader is casually introduced to the terms, but so so that the reader is already expected to know them and the words are just tossed aside.

one of the surprisng things about this project was that the main character was 47 years old. that's really outgoing- it explains, for one, why the main character can fight really well. Maybe after thinking about it a little bit, 47 might be a bit much for an actual fighter chracter. in terms of medieval and fantasy, i'd say that a fighter would end by roughly 40 (medieval times- people died at like 50 and 60), so maybe 37 would be a good fit. maybe 27-30 is good for when you start really being promoted from victories, and 33 is tough man by then- i guess 37 could work as a captainn that still fights.

making custom music is NOT easy. that's right up there with finishing all the maps, a bit easier than all eventing and scripting. it's sorta a thing you really must have a passion for and to have studied. I tried on and off, and it's a hard task. still, test it out, maybe you'll have talent.
Mapping, on the other hand, is surprisingly easy for rpg maker. This is rpgmaker xp, right? well, mapping is simple and takes maybe a month of on/off mapping to really get a style, learn how to do mostly everything, and pretty much get prepared (there are a tutorials out there, but the basics of xp mapping are.... basic. read/watch tutorials to learn how to do some random stuff).
scenes and dialogue are part of the story. first you have to get the basic idea of what you want. then you conform it to your limitations on rpgmaker xp and what you can do on that. Then limit it to the map, sprites, your resources, etc. Takes a while to get used to, i usually try to imagine it as movie-ish with FF influence.

and holy shit aedemphia looks awesome. goddamn i should stop try to learn japanese and get back to the romance languages. >.<

btw: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AerithAndBob
just read a whole bunch of articles on tvtropes. especially if any of it deals with the stuff you're talking about (ie, ff, etc.). you'll waste like 2 hours before you know it.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:56 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

There, I transliterated most of it. And, if you're wondering, Nabastea is pronounced [nab-uhs-te-uh] or [nab-uhs-tee-uh]. Personally, I pronounce the first way, since the name is supposed to be latinized.

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:59 am

btw if you're looking for an example on how to do amazing scenes on rmxp,
check out quintessence: the blighted venom (http://www.freebirdgames.com/) and other stuff by that guy, and
dark eternal: dissolution (and DE:2) http://zenosoft.net/. This is honestly one of my favorite games ever despite its flaws, and the most impacting and coolest introes on rmxp i've ever seen (for some reason i didn't like the quintessence intro as much). its development sorta grinded to a halt, but i'm still waiting for the guy to finish.... all these years.
check out the forum of DE to download it.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Thank you, but I get most of my inspiration from movies. Also, I'm definitely not planning on having custom music. There's a lot of good classical music that is not boring and can be made into a soundtrack. And there is also a lot of new talent here in HBGames.org.

By the way, do you find the synopsis more legible?

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:30 pm

it's legible, but i think that you should explicitly mention that macedonia is a empire; the second paragraph, "the Empire is a hated enemy who took the life of his wife", seems a bit vague at the moment. the last line, where you list all the characters, also seems like it came out of nowhere, as we are told a variety of characters that weren't even mentioned the least bit before. I would think to either make it like "So bella, flamma, and others" (something to that nature, less crappy), or make the synopsis longer to cover all the listed characters.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Just a random thought: I was watching some Crisis M.E.T.E.O.R. videos on You Tube and I'm thinking I made eventually need voice actors or really good sound effects, not for the game itself, but for the battle system. If you are ever in the need of good sound effects, Age of Empires is the place to look.

By the way, if you read this and you don't know what Crisis M.E.T.E.O.R. is, then you're missing on the Thai RPG Maker Community, which has some crazy shit going on.

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next