Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Erichermit
  Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:55 am

Party Mascot

Luminux is a frantic action puzzle game for Mobile and PC. We have set out to create a game that has extremely simple base mechanics while also giving the game a capacity for depth. The game is meant to reward quick thinking and quick reactions. Slow players will find that their opportunity for a well placed move has already passed if they take too long to act or decide upon it.

The very basic mechanics of the game involve setting up lines of 3 or more blocks ("Lums") of the same color, which will cause them to explode an award points. Points gained is exponential based on the number of blocks, however, so it is best to try to perform combinations of many blocks. It is even possible to explode multiple different colors at the same time through intelligent play.

By pushing for simplicity on the surface but depth behind the scenes, we hope to create a truly unique and interesting action/puzzle game.

Game Demo: http://erichermit.itch.io/luminux
Game Trailer: Luminux Trailer

Screenshots
Image Image

Image Image

History

I (Eric Hornby) and my friend Joey Caero went to a Microsoft-sponsored hackathon competition at our university. After cooking up a very rough prototype of Luminux, which we then called "Project Tetra", inside of a 24-hour timespan we were fortunate enough to win first place in the competition. This victory inspired us to take on the monumental task of tackling Luminux for a true commercial release. I quickly grabbed an other friend who was a graphical designer, Cory Kocurek, and we began development.

While we all have a history of hobbyist game development, this is our first project together as a team and for each of us, a return to game design from a lengthy hiatus.

Last edited by Erichermit on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

Top Top

Erichermit
  Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Party Mascot

Hey there!

We've just finished a demo, please give it a try and post your opinions!

http://www.pelagicgames.com/luminux/luminux-demo/

Top Top

LiquidMetal91
  Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:22 pm
Sponsor

L1 Slime

It loads slow when I'm on the move (its the internet, not the game). By the looks of the screens this'll keep me occupied for a while, but the full "review" will be when I've actually played it.

Looks nice, can't wait to get home 'n try :grin:

EDIT: Great, and strangly addictive. The input for the highscores didn't work for me though :S

Top Top

Erichermit
  Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Party Mascot

Thanks for the feedback, LiquidMetal! A post, finally! :D

The high scores input didn't work? In what way? There is a bug in Puzzle Mode's high scores right now that causes problems with submitting your score. I am fearful that you have just discovered a different one.

Update: We recently changed the mechanic for "Block Denying" in order to prevent infinite stalling. See here:

Top Top

Erichermit
  Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 am

Party Mascot

It seems that we recently had a big boom of popularity on IndieDB

For a while there, we were top 8 on the entire site. I think at the time of posting, we're something like top 10. It's pretty much nuts and net us over 800 views on our game.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Wonderfully addictive and the effects are ace. It's decent on the web, but this is going to make a stunning mobile game.

Top Top

Erichermit
  Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 am

Party Mascot

Thanks Amy, I'm glad you think so! :) We've actually started working with a publisher, so I'm basically 1000% excited about this.

Top Top

Erichermit
  Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:17 am

Party Mascot

Image Image

Speaking of making a stunning mobile game... It's finished! We're selling it for about $2 on the app store. We believe this to be an adequate (and small) price for a game that has no ads or IAP and is thus not at all built to try to drive you into a shop.

Top Top