Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
    ZenVirZan
  Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

added colored lighting + variable lighting intensity
means campfires can flicker etc.
Content Hidden

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 am
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

Looking really nice Zen!

As for me, I am overseeing the construction of a Planet.
Planet Vahnus
A screenshot taken from a skype screenshare with one of my most reliable artists. Pictured is the in the works progress of Planet Vahnus, the World of Disk Zero, Fantasia.

For those unsure, this is by the same artist who has done all of the planetary renders within our universe thus far. He is incredibly talented.

And it is truly a joy, seeing a world of my design be rendered on his canvas. Being brought to life... I only wish more people could know how great it feels, to have willing skillful hands stroke life and creations of their design into being.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 am

Competent Minion

All done, and now, behold!

Music is a placeholder, obviously.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:12 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Live players demonstration

I assure you any lag in the following is a combination of:

1. the screen recording software
2. the fact I have two games open at once

And not the scripts themselves.

Here we have.. live players! And a little demonstration of how chat could function. At the moment chat over player heads doesn't work brilliantly - it works, but it all appears above the player's head. I am attempting to get it to recognise which player sprite said a thing. Working on it.

Anyway, large gif.

They appear to be playing catchup because each game is "paused" while not focused unfortunately so it's hard to video this. But as you can see, apart from speed (! need to fix that), the player's movements are copied roughly on each screen (I'm flicking between two screens here).

[see next post]

There are two accidental easter eggs in that gif. Shh.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Better example. Works now, text appears above the right characters. Again the perceived latency is due to switching screens unfortunately.

Not sure if you can tell when it changes screens.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I can tell when screens switch over, so it makes sense to me. Using an HTML layer above the game for the interface?

Adding character shadows helps a lot with the sense of depth and belonging in the world.
For one thing, it's far easier to tell that the 3D TF2 characters are floating above the ground.

Foot-step sound effects (that change across materials) should also help loads with making the characters feel like they belong in the world. The idea is to try and marry art-styles together convincingly; sprite characters, hand-drawn world, 3D objects.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 am

Competent Minion

Updated the CCC Content Advisory for Fantasia.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:16 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Biz, I guess your players can't say you didn't warn them.

Xilef, that setup looks great with the shadows. I can't wait to see more. And the followers don't seem restrained to the tiles. That's not default behavior, is it?

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Nathaniel3W wrote:
the followers don't seem restrained to the tiles. That's not default behavior, is it?

It's my movement Plugin: viewtopic.php?f=332&t=79394
Replaces MV's tile-based movement with vector-based + polygon collision (usually known as "pixel movement"). Grid based movement is very restrictive and would make hand-drawn backgrounds way more difficult to handle.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Homepage and login screen. Trying to keep everything as simple as possible; isn't even a separate register scene, you just tick a box if you need an account creating.

Did I post this by the way? Mockup (systems working, just not skinned like this yet).

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Yes, I know, this is yet another Thing and not the Thing I was working on, and I've got sidetracked. I wanted to try mapping with Celianna's tilesets, using texture layers.

What I do is create six layers going from woodchip to thick grass, to dirty grass to lawn grass, to beaten path to rocky underlay.

I then erase slightly each pass imagining I'm somebody walking around.

I leave the woodchip under the trees, and the thick grass close to it, so the majority of space is covered by dirty grass. I then make a clearing using the lawn grass. I then use a 20% eraser and lightly erase in lines going from each house to the road, and from each house to each other, in different amounts depending on the house. I try and create beaten paths and also desire lines.

So that creates a natural square, where I can then place activity.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am

Competent Minion

Nathaniel3W wrote:
Biz, I guess your players can't say you didn't warn them.
They can still bitch at me but now my ass is covered, lmao.

So now Kyoshi, he's a THING!

Also my composer is done with all the songs needed for the Demo, so now he's working on music effects, check out this final amazing contribution to Demo One!

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Looking good, Biz.

Here are a few items I made this month.

Here's the kabuto, katana, wakizashi, and naginata.

Jundi helmet, morning star, mailsplitter axe, and tower shield.

And the fairies finally have some clothes. And one has a wand and another has a staff.

Couldn't remember if I posted the fairy animation here. Well, here it is, possibly again.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:08 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
You're doing god's work. Keep it up. :thumb:

Still not sure where I'm going with my game, if anywhere. Questioning whether I want it to be online at all now. In the meantime I started to see how I could map with these tiles and sprites. Using the larger of Pioneer Valley's sprites, so I've had to scale up Celianna's tiles.

Lighting sucks ass and is quickly thrown in; not sure if I'll go with lighting effects at all.

"Sitting down" is part of the spritesheet and will be a feature.

Some more examples:

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Competent Minion

That store called 'The Duck' I thought it said 'The Dick' for a second and i was gazing upon red hot cock signage but I was dead wrong, lmao.

@Nathan: Awesome as always, really love the clear distance scaling.

I've been working on this cutscene, and now I'm ready to show you what it's up to.

The only thing left to do is wait for the voice actors to come through, and my artists to come through, and then replace files, otherwise, it's mostly just a couple sound effect additions and a couple little graphical touch ups from this point.

There's also a typo I need to fix, let's see if you can spot it.

Last edited by BizarreMonkey on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Inept Evil Stooge

Biz, I saw your post first and had no idea what the Duck was. It made for a really confusing read.

What do you make you cutscenes in? How do you do the flashing effect?

Amy, you're starting to develop kind of an Ultima Online vibe.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 am

Competent Minion

Nathaniel3W wrote:
Biz, I saw your post first and had no idea what the Duck was. It made for a really confusing read.
I was referring to this.

Nathaniel3W wrote:
What do you make you cutscenes in?
Sony Vegas Pro 14, I own it legit thanks to that humble bundle, ideally I got it for 20 dollars during a humble bundle. Previously I used Vegas Pro 11
Nathaniel3W wrote:
How do you do the flashing effect?
There's a filter in Vegas called film effect, i simply turn all of the particles off and grain/tint down to 0 except for the 'flicker', which is how I do that.

At least, I'm assuming you mean that white flickering that occurs when spells are being cast. If you meant the flashing imagery I simply make copies of the graphics clip and adjust its settings, make it very short and overlay the main one with a variety of those.

I got around to making that Splash / Intro Video finally, not happy with it's presentation currently, I'll think on it later.

Edit: I deleted that video to replace it with a new one.

You can find that new vid in the what are you working on thread.

This one too, but a new page has started so I'll post it here, too.

Had some right trouble rendering this one. I actually ended up going into windows safemode just to render it.

It's easily one of the most layer heavy and complicated videos I've ever made, falling short only of one or two of the crazy chimp collective anniversary videos.

Obviously, the music and voice acting is a placeholder.
hmmm perhaps i could stand to tone my editing down a little...

NAH!

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Yeah Biz. That's pretty crazy. You're putting a lot of work into those. My most recent trailer made use of a couple of special effects that I made in After Effects and then I had a bunch of layers in Premiere, but only for transitioning from one scene to another. I certainly didn't anything like that many layers going on at the same time.

As for the latest on Himeko Sutori, I've started on the official campaign. And I'm redoing the starting city again. It gets more complicated each time.

I still need to add barrels, crates, small rocks, trees and small plants, and NPCs. I need to fix the color difference between the landscape and the cliff meshes. And I still need to build the lighting, to get some shadows and highlights on there. But that is roughly where our story begins.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 am

Competent Minion

That's looking really cool, it's so cozy looking! I want to take a trip there! That's when you know you've made a world welcoming and real feeling.

As for Fantasia, I recently went and desaturated all the tiles that were RTP by 50%
Looks so much better, also talk about attention to detail-- Koko's sleeping on her bed there in the room over.

And...
The unnerving descent into the rabbit hole begins.

I also am not sure if I posted the complete version of this, one of the most flashy villain entrances I've ever done.

Quote:
When Sun Shrinks in Distant Skies,
beware the Demon with Triangle Eyes.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Aww yeah

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:00 am

Competent Minion

Ayyyy, nice title screen, Amy.

Got all the animated busts done for the main three girls, all 16, six frames each, all up 288 images, whee.

Here's a few gif previews.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:48 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

that looks so polished biz
im looking forward to playin it

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 am

Competent Minion

I've had a closed alpha for feedback's sake, found out that despite how polished it was, there are quite a lot of bugs and sequences breakers, all of which I've fixed now, soon my artists will be back on the ball and once they start trucking development of the games first demo shouldn't take very long. I'm so ahead of schedule that I'm basically forced to wait for my artists, my composer is also done with a huge amount of the OST, in fact only music effects remain for the demo.

Been a real treat making the song titles for this OST, I've taken some inspiration from Touhou with song names.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Did your composer seriously compose and record 56 unique tracks for your game? How long are they?

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Competent Minion

Nathaniel3W wrote:
Did your composer seriously compose and record 56 unique tracks for your game? How long are they?
Not yet, but 25+ are done.

They are upwards of a minute each, and vary between 1-3 minutes, 2 on average.

You can sample what we have so far by clicking the image below.

This composer is a new fella, though he did a couple tracks for PFC, as well.

If you really want something to be shocked about, try for the fact Intelligence 314th Clash has an 80 song OST and only one of the tracks hasn't been done.
Each with it's own individual album art, as has been the case for as long as I can remember.

Or that Menagerie: Remastered has an impressive 48 song score.

Or Perseverance's Epic 60 Song Score.

I'm very proud of my composers, they both have exceptional talent.

One of them who has had to more or less retire has been making a name for himself, I'm glad he got some radical exposure from the hours of work he put into the varying OST's my games have.

To fill in Max M. Dominora has been eager, and he's been doing a fantastic job, every time he's made a track I've felt the need to make an album art to celebrate it, and so i started getting a bunch done in advance long before we'd need them, lel.
Will that do for screenshots? I think so!

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Biz I really appreciate your animations. A lot of work has gone into them.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:10 am

Competent Minion

Amy wrote:
Biz I really appreciate your animations. A lot of work has gone into them.
Thanks, I do my best!

Also due to not having a whole lot to do on Fantasia, I started doing some other stuff I'd been psyched to have fun with but wasn't game to while Fantasia was in motion, but now that I'm at a crossroads I began on Crowfeast, and it is looking AMAZING.

The portraits for Mira will be updated, they are far too lacking in contrast currently and a lot of the proportions look bad.

I also went and added an optional boss pre-scene to PFC.

wew lad.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 am

Competent Minion

Yi's portraits have arrived. Now look ye upon a true Embodiment of Terror, and despair.

Cinematics fully updated, now with voice acting and new art.

Fifth one needs a less placeholder music, but beyond that, we good bois.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:20 am

Competent Minion

So I had some fun doing animation.

My voice actor had a lot of fun doing this scene.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Bored.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next