Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
    BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:01 am
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

I assigned the CCC's newest member, Bella; to the lead portrait artist for P:A
As you can see, it merges well.

Now I simply have to do a lot of work.

Game's deadline will be July first now, but if I can release it before then-- I will.

Top Top

Sated
  Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:53 pm
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle

Generic Townsperson

Making my item screens look better. In Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl I'm using a custom item management system to limit the player to 6 items. Here is a before and after:

Image Image

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Competent Minion

Curse you asses for having a consistent art style. >:[

Looks nice, Sated. :o

I'll post this on RMN later when a new page is cometh, but for now, here's the big boss fight with Warth'og, almost-spoiler-free!

Also a small gallery of recent screenshots.
http://imgur.com/a/Po5pn#0

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:10 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

The amount of effort you put into your animation is incredible, you don't see that with most RM* games.

Top Top

Sated
  Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:21 am

Generic Townsperson

I've been doing a lot of database/custom-item-system stuff recently for my game, but I came to a good point to move onto something else so I decided to move onto changing up the battle-animations. Previously, Cheska just swung a weapon in front of her and it shows a battle animations on the enemy, which you can see in this video. Here's the general gist of what the new animations look like:

The first section (where Cheska blurs at the enemy) is part of the "normal" character-animation system, but Cheska in the second section is part of the "normal" battle-animation. This will allow me to be a LOT more flexible when it comes to weapon skills, but it's also probably going to take me ages to animate them. Oh well. It will be worth it; the "normal" way doesn't have enough room for all the weapons I want to include!

The animation actually needs a bit of work, but getting it working like that was a good thing to learn. Never bothered much with animations before. Now I have the structure, I just need to work on the sprites themselves.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Competent Minion

Xilef wrote:
The amount of effort you put into your animation is incredible, you don't see that with most RM* games.
Thanks! I think my favourites are the icons for the power ups, like the bottle of red cordial down there.

I just put effort into everything... except keeping a coniststent art direction but shhhhh! :0

Here's another cool video, you may notice some changes to the HUD, red on red doesn't work well for the purpose of a HUD, as it's relied on in a peripheral sense often, and so needs to stand out, and a red health bar on a darker red background doesn't really do that.

There's also been some recent changes to the windowskin, primarily and singularly, that the dark overlay pattern has been blended so to be less distracting.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I love that, fd. Low res is something that always looks like it would be easy but actually takes a lot of effort to get right.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:49 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

BizarreMonkey wrote:
+10 points for DMC3 ost

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Competent Minion

I do love my Roar of anger, just had it playing while I was recording (had game bgm muted) and it just panned out well.

I have made lots and lots of progress.

First, here's the first fight with Highlord Naxon.

And here's a WIP version of the 10th cinematic.

Who wants to do voice acting? :D

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

BizarreMonkey wrote:
And here's a WIP version of the 10th cinematic.

Who wants to do voice acting? :D
How long does it take to test that stuff? I mean, when animating it, if you stuff up you'd need to watch it all over again.
Your eventing ability is incredible.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I maaaaaaay be overdoing the animation. OR NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH

Top Top

Jason
  Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
If you're okay with doing that many animations, and it's not too much of a hassle, I'd encourage you to keep it up, since more animations make the world feel more alive and interactive... so yeah.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:33 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Yeah. I kinda wanted to make it feel like you're arriving in a bustling port town, but it just felt dead, even with some NPCs in. So I went a bit overboard.

Top Top

Jason
  Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Honestly though, I can see room for improvements simply by making it busier, adding more NPC's... how big is the town compared to this one screen? I'd definitely have a marketplace and cram quite a few NPC's in there, even if you can't talk to them all, just have them walking around checking stalls out and such...

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Competent Minion

ZenVirZan wrote:
How long does it take to test that stuff? I mean, when animating it, if you stuff up you'd need to watch it all over again.
Your eventing ability is incredible.

Well, if I fully evented it, a scene like this can take anywhere from 3 to 5 days, WIP notwithstanding, this took me two, it depends a lot on how much I can rely on old assets, thankfully I'd already assembled an animation similar to this for a contest in 2013. (Which I took first place in.)

I used that as a base, keep in mind all of the really nice touches, including sound and the like, are incorporated in Vegas, I then play the movie as an ogv through the games event command.

Upsides
>Pictures folder becomes far smaller. (at the exchange of having a hefty movies folder)
>No buffering required.
>No desync on slower systems.
>Can add multiple neato effects.
>Can realign pieces to make them sync.

Downsides
>Sometimes a slight spastic noise at the end.
>Can crash the game due to VX Ace being shite.

So yeah, I do cheat a little when I can.

Since that WIP upload, I've gotten all the Voice actors I need, my stepdad is gonna voice Saxxis, and my mother is voicing the mail lady, the rest have already been handle by myself or good friends.

Here's the 9th.

Consider the music in both the 9th and 10th possibly placeholders. I might leave the music by Dario Marianelli in there if I can't find a good meld from the 40 song strong OST this game has. The game is - alike all of the crazy chimp's creations to date - entirely non-profit so I doubt I'll have much to worry about so long as I give credit where it's due.

Despite the fact I've spent nearly if not over $1,000 USD on this games production.

:0

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

I completely forgot you can play video in Ace.
That explains a lot, actually.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:27 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Creating a living town.

- Pigeons follow you around
- People move from place to place
- Workers gonna work
- Folks come out of, and go into, buildings, or walk off the scene if you're there long enough

A few tileset errors, will fix.

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I think you should make the birds fly diagonally up and fade out when you shoo them

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this looks really amazing, most people just apply random movement and then after N seconds every event on the screen takes a step in a direction.

Top Top

Spoo
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:34 pm
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Are those Breeze sprites? They look shorter than normal.

SMITE | PATH OF EXILE | BATTLEBLOCK

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Competent Minion

The birds also need to be a little faster. Like when doves or pigeons take off it's more or less going straight from stillness to flight, which takes a lot of momentum.

See this for an example in under two seconds.

If they took off at that speed they'd plummet back to earth before even getting a foot off the ground.

Oh, right. New faces!
That are not forced to look like shit.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:51 am
I'm a doctor in Costa Rica.
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Amy, I think the animations look awesome.

Top Top

Sated
  Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 am

Generic Townsperson

Princess Amy wrote:

Creating a living town.

- Pigeons follow you around
- People move from place to place
- Workers gonna work
- Folks come out of, and go into, buildings, or walk off the scene if you're there long enough

A few tileset errors, will fix.

I don't think that having the birds follow you is a good idea, that would get really annoying if they're constantly blocking you off. That is a pretty tight-space map.

The animation is cool, though, so you should keep it. Just maybe have the birds perched on ledges, allowing the player to shoo them if they wish. Might even be a good place to hide items, like "The bird was sat on something? It's a Potion!" or whatever.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:15 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Well, it's kind of the point - she's happy to get out of there. The birds obstruct you kinda but you only have to walk into them to scatter them off. (Might get rid of the "shoo!" message so you don't need to press anything, you just kind of kick them out of the way).

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:22 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'm not sure if this is just silly. I don't like it and it will be replaced by a better scene later on.

Epilepsy warning, NSFWish, etc

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

Princess Amy wrote:
I'm not sure if this is just silly. I don't like it and it will be replaced by a better scene later on.

Epilepsy warning, NSFWish, etc
Contract bluxxon for the tripping out section.Image

I think the flashing seems out of place compared to the graphic style though - there's a lot of colour when tripping, so maybe a black flash or no flash?

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:48 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I think I'm going to remake it, and move it further into the game. I think it's too much for the player this soon.

But yeah thanks, flashing will go.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Second attempt. This is a different village from further into the game. I thought it would be too much to reveal so early on.

Still not entirely happy. Sound will help.

Same warnings, epilepsy, large image, NSFW, etc

I mean, it's a pretty big spoiler I suppose, but as this is a dev community: basically everything that happens in the game is an analogy for what's happening in her real life. It's a little more than that, and more complicated. There are further twists, all over the place. But in short, this scene is pretty obviously her being shared by the guys in a drugs den in return for said drugs... I hope that's partly obvious but also subtle enough.

In short, the main character is a heroin addict who is living in a modern day dystopia, who has created a whole world in her head to hide away from what's happening in her actual life.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Competent Minion

Holy crap amy you might as well make videos at this point, lmao.

That's looking hype, definitely ask Bluxxon for help with the trippy shit, he's king at it.

In other news, this is finished.

My Mum voices the Mail Lady, my Stepdad is the voice of Saxxis, there's others too, all in video description.

Top Top

Bluxxon
  Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Sewer Rat
Your animated town is really nice looking!! It definitely makes it come to life.

ps I just got RPG Maker again so expect some stuff from me soon.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Competent Minion

Yesssss...

The Bluxx is back!

What a time to be alive.

Will have thread updated soon.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next