Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

boon
  Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 pm
"What's this, Hubert?"

Alrighty, I'm stuck in a spot of bother here, tried getting hold of peri and failed. I'm drawing concept art for the Gym Leaders and NPC's in Pokémon Glacier, and I'm doing the first one, Artica Leader Milly.

Stuck on how to draw the hand holding the Pokéball, any help is MUCH appreciated.

Content Hidden

alright, update

the hands are a little crisp, i'll erase them and go over them nicely later, when I got them right.

Content Hidden

Top Top

mawk
  Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:44 pm

the thumb of the hand on her hip is positioned as if it's simply another finger. the thumb starts just above the wrist joint, and probably wouldn't be visible at all with her hand on her hip like that.

I'd add that "her wrist looks more like a broken arm than anything else really" but I forget if I have any advice about that so I won't.

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

archerRin
  Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 pm

this should help

huge gargantuan image

I'd appreciate it if you'd spoiler large images! ~Perihelion

Top Top

boon
  Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:58 pm
"What's this, Hubert?"

^ yeah, that does help.

See, I've never actually drawn in my life before. :x

Top Top

boon
  Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:40 am
"What's this, Hubert?"

update:

Top Top

mawk
  Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:20 pm

that is the squishiest pokeball ever

and what's with the mouth? is she the joker?

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

Venetia
  Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 am
venerable inertia
Staff

you're drawing yourself into a bad place because your starting point is nonexistant. you need to ALWAYS start off with a wiremesh before you get into it (unless you're a pro at proportions).

now i know pokemon characters have weird proportions (giant heads, noodle limbs, semi-wide torsos, tiny hands and feet), so it's a little of a challenge. but im telling you wiremeshing it will alleviate a lot of frustration. especially with the face, arms, and hands!

very quickly i used yours as a base and meshed something out. as you can see, the rate you're going, her face will be all scrunched into her forehead and she'll have giant mantis arms.

you dont have to use mine--actually, please dont, it's sloppy and you can do better with care (the hand on the hip should be bigger, sorry, i was on the phone at the time :x)--but like i said, mesh first, flesh later

Top Top

archerRin
  Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:51 am

yeaaa way to go ven.

Top Top

boon
  Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:37 pm
"What's this, Hubert?"

Venetia wrote:
you're drawing yourself into a bad place because your starting point is nonexistant. you need to ALWAYS start off with a wiremesh before you get into it (unless you're a pro at proportions).

now i know pokemon characters have weird proportions (giant heads, noodle limbs, semi-wide torsos, tiny hands and feet), so it's a little of a challenge. but im telling you wiremeshing it will alleviate a lot of frustration. especially with the face, arms, and hands!

very quickly i used yours as a base and meshed something out. as you can see, the rate you're going, her face will be all scrunched into her forehead and she'll have giant mantis arms.

you dont have to use mine--actually, please dont, it's sloppy and you can do better with care (the hand on the hip should be bigger, sorry, i was on the phone at the time :x)--but like i said, mesh first, flesh later

Thanks for the help Ven :) I did actually do a basic wire mesh, and some of it is visible in the scan but most of it is too faint to see, I'll try work on it from your advice ;o; there is a line for the eyes, it sits just through the nose.

Oh and; my reference so far is: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dawn_%28game%29

@mawk: main antagonist for my story, so yeah, should look evil.

Top Top

Tindy
  Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:28 pm
blahblahblah
Sponsor

Take care to note, if nothing else, what Ven did with the hand on the hip - the way you have it drawn it's like someone took her wrist, snapped it in half, and put it on her hip. Your hand *can* do that, but it kind of hurts a little bit, and it's not really natural.

Also, see if you can get a female friend to hold a round object like an orange and model for you. That way, you'll be able to get how it's being held and all that good stuff.

Top Top