Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Sailerius
  Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Content Hidden

Yeah, I'm a writer/scripter and not an artist, but for a side project I'm working on, I don't expect an artist to fall into my lap, so I'm practicing drawing. Could really use some comments/critique, since I'm pretty new at drawing.

Top Top

silver wind
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:22 pm
Chompil

not bad, you have an eye or it.
what you can improve:
- the hands should be longer.
use a picture as reference, or find tutorials on human body proportions.
- the shadows should be slightly more blue, and the highlights more yellow.
- the shadows/lights should show the object's 3D shape.
you did it well with the shirt, but other places look flat.

keep practicing, and you'll get better in no time :)

Top Top

moxie
  Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:00 am
singin potatoes

I'm gonna have to regurgitate the usual spiel about anatomy, life drawing, blahblahblah. You really benefit from practicing realism, and from there you can find your own style. Loomis is a great place to start reading into techniques.

It's important to block out features and anatomy first, before you start doing the lineart. That way you can be certain your drawings are proportionate/not skewed to the side/etc.

Practice, practice, practice. Practice drawing the parts you have the most trouble with separately and often, like hands. When you have time, just sit there drawing your own hands at a variety of different angles. Grab a mirror, and practice drawing different facial expressions. It really helps a lot.

That's all I can really say, I'll let the other artists infinitely more talented than myself take it from here.

Top Top

Sailerius
  Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:15 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I've been practicing and experimenting and I've got something new to show. I think I made some progress with anatomy.
Content Hidden

Top Top

moxie
  Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 pm
singin potatoes

That's an super-cute outfit and bag, although the boots look just different enough in shape to be two separate pairs. :huh:

Do you plan your drawings out in advance? She still looks slightly skewed, like she's leaning to the side. Also what kind of materials/what kind of tablet are you working with?

Top Top

Sailerius
  Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Golden Sorcerer
Sponsor

Moe wrote:
That's an super-cute outfit and bag, although the boots look just different enough in shape to be two separate pairs. :huh:

Do you plan your drawings out in advance? She still looks slightly skewed, like she's leaning to the side. Also what kind of materials/what kind of tablet are you working with?

Yeah. I start off by doing a thumbnail sketch so I know what pose I'm doing and then I do a larger version. I draw on paper with a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil, then I scan and trace over it and correct errors with my tablet.

Top Top

Daxis
  Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 pm
The arrow lives frugally.

for the girlie with backpack:

things are off with the shoulder. I feel like it's too thick, I think, but I could be wrong.
Like moe said, it's a bit skewed, but i didn't really notice it until moe pointed it out.
I think the head's a bit big, even for this caricature. If that's what you're going for, so be it.
Legs are too short. I personally feel that the skirt is located a bit down from what it should be, so I guess it should be moved up a bit.
her right shoulder is not long enough I think.
The scarf looks slightly blandish, just staying there like that. I think the scarf of our left side (her right side) could be removed without any worry. I sense a bit of a 2d feeling from it as well, maybe that's the problem.
Moderate use of shadows. It could be better used, but it's really not bad atm.
Very cute expression.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top