Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
    coyotecraft
  Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:13 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
Watching Psycho-Pass, it's pretty good. It's like Ghost in the Shell only more colorful and doesn't bore me to sleep.

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 am
The arrow lives frugally.

So this season:

log horizon is p great. It actually feels like an mmo anime and not an anime that happens to be in an mmo.

Beyond the boundary is just great.

kill la kill is good.

I reserve judgement on strike the blood.

Tokyo ravens is promising, if it can do its source material good.

outbreak horizon is amazing.

And besides kill la kill every single one of these is based on a light novel.

It's a good season for anime.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Byron
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:29 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Daxis wrote:
So this season:

log horizon is p great. It actually feels like an mmo anime and not an anime that happens to be in an mmo.

Beyond the boundary is just great.

kill la kill is good.

I started watching Log horizon. It is pretty good. I see what you mean about it feeling like an MMO that happens to be an anime. Although it feels like the characters are somewhat op.

I also want to start watching Beyond the boundary.

I watched two episodes of kill la kill. I agree it's good. but it's just too anime for me xD

I really need to find more sci-fi anime. I started watching No. 7, but I never finished it...

Top Top

Daxis
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:36 am

For Kill La Kill, just embrace the ridiculousness. Just take it in and go with it. KNOWING THE STUDIO, it just gets better and better the more you watch (but naturally this isn't a given). The show is a magical girl deconstruction anyways.
Like when the costume was revealed, I laughed and laughed and laughed. Like srsly, wtf.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I hope log horizon it's better than Sword Art Online. Sword Art Online started off good but then it dropped the whole survival theme for a love story halfway through. Up till that point they were struggling to escape the game, it was life or death. I was invested in the story to see if or how they got out. It kinda makes sense that just when they got comfortable living a virtual life, it ends. But the whole romantic interest thing happened so suddenly; it was like one day they started playing house and adopted a daughter; and I was suppose to care if they were torn apart after that? It went from a grim situation with people dying in every episode to a fairyland soap opera love triangle drama where the worst case would end in a loveless marriage. WTF.

Top Top

Daxis
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 am

As I said,

SAO = a guy vs god in an mmo SETTING. But mainly shitty romance.

Log horizon = a game ABOUT an mmo and the players in it, with (the usual light novel) hints of romance, sorta.

It also has a very decent soundtrack that's complimentary of every scene. Decent animation. IMO, better source material/plot (I've read the light novels for both).

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Byron
  Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:17 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Daxis wrote:
As I said,

SAO = a guy vs god in an mmo SETTING. But mainly shitty romance.

Log horizon = a game ABOUT an mmo and the players in it, with (the usual light novel) hints of romance, sorta.

It also has a very decent soundtrack that's complimentary of every scene. Decent animation. IMO, better source material/plot (I've read the light novels for both).

I agree that the shitty romance in SAO did ruin it. Especially with the second half of the series.
I still maintain that SAO was good. I got very invested in it.
But log horizon is quite good. Although we've spent about 4 episodes having Shiroe and Crescent moon make money and it's getting kinda old now. I just hope that the next episode all this talk is over and they can go back to fighting monsters.
I'm not sure if I like Shiroes signature spell. Although it was quite genius how he used it along with Nyanta.
I wish they'd focus more on That ninja girl becoming better friends with him. I dunno...

Top Top

Spoo
  Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Wolf Children.

An anime film that is not by Hayao Miyazaki.

An anime film that did bring the feels.

Color me surprised.

SMITE | PATH OF EXILE | BATTLEBLOCK

Top Top

Byron
  Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Kuroko no Basuke.
It's pretty great. I love how weak Kuroko is yet how amazing he is.
Log horizon is getting amazing and Beyond the boundary is too!
I also watched a little bit more of Kill la kill... I think I'll have to watch this one in stages cause it's just... too anime.
I've been advised to watch some Boondocks but I haven't gotten around to that yet

Top Top

Daxis
  Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Beyond the boundary's ending was kinda really retarded. It lacked consequence, explanation, reasoning, logic. They could have spent like 10 seconds
Content Hidden

But no. They just ran out of source material. Villain had no reasoning, backgrounds were never fleshed, nothing was ever explained, and the main characters never really were in any danger (or you never felt like they were in danger). Random relationship issues between those other non main characters.

It scores at most a 75/100 from me, MOST OF WHICH came from episode 9+10, which pretty much wrapped up/showed all emotional connections between the main characters. If the finale wasn't so shit it prolly would have easily gotten a 85/100.

This studio has a great batch of animators but holy fuque do they need to invest into writers.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Byron
  Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

The animators truly are great. The fight scenes are fantastic! Honestly I wanted more!
I do agree though. A lot of the story/backstory isn't exactly great. The world is quite cool though. I like the idea of youmu.
Content Hidden

With that being said I would still rate it highly and I'm kinda sad it's over. I wish they had given it more time/episodes to flesh everything out and explain more.
edit: Also, was it just me or did a lot of the last episode seem a little bit crammed. Like, there were a few really bad cuts here and there.

Top Top

Daxis
  Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am

Well, it was based light novels/had a source material. THING IS, it's published by the same animation company, and the anime itself has changed quite a bit since the source material. And.... the anime is actually sorta kinda all that we have atm. So.

Yeah.

Shames.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Byron
  Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Ah I see. I mean... That gives us hope for another series? Perhaps? I dunno.
Either way it was worth the watch.
The sound track was really quite beautiful too.

It's only 11:45 and already I've watched like 7 episodes of Kuroko no basuke. Opps.
Honestly. It's getting me pumped!

Top Top

Spoo
  Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:59 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Started watching Kill La Kill. It's crazy anime like that that I really like.

That made me remember to finish Gurren Lagaan, too, so I'm gonna watch that from the start again.

Top Top

Byron
  Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

OH MY FUCKING GOOD THAT WAS AMAZING
Kuroko no basket is just pure... wow.
Seriously. Even though I'm not that into sports it got my blood pumping!
ONTO SEASON TWOOOOOOO~
second opening

Top Top

LiquidMetal91
  Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 pm
Sponsor

L1 Slime

Had that with Inazuma Eleven! (exlamation mark is part of the animetitle), whilst i don't like 1football one bit.
Now I'm past the first 150+ episodes and watching the second season :D

Top Top

Byron
  Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Oh man I just watched Berserk Egg of the supreme king.
I might watch the next one but I might save it for tomorrow. It's really good and the soundtrack. Oh boy.

Top Top

LiquidMetal91
  Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 am
Sponsor

L1 Slime

Rewatching Tengen Toppa: Gurrenn Lagann now.

God, this anime is amazing :biggrin:

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I just finished Puella Magi ~Madoka Magica~

It was a pretty dang good anime! Wow! Really good. :3

Top Top

Spoo
  Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Nisekoi.

Premiered late December iirc, and my first impression seems to be Bakemonogatari-ish with less violence and more predictable shenanigans. It's pretty lighthearted right now, but I'm hoping for something more intense later on. Yakuza play a big role in the plot, so it's not impossible.

Top Top

Byron
  Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:59 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I never stated what I thought of the end of the golden age arc...
To be honest, it was a fucking masterpiece... You've gotta be able to stomach the gore though.
The 3rd "Episode"(?) was a huge mind fuck all throughout and it did leave a few important things out, but if you're going to get invested in berserk you'll read the manga.
I really suggest reading the manga just cause it's actually amazing. I know this is an anime thread but still.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:39 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
Catching up on Log Horizon. I'm a little disappointed. 17 episodes in; most anime series end around 25 episodes. I have no idea where the show is going. I want to assume it'll end with everyone getting out of the game, or maybe find out that they are all just copies or a simulation or something. Or maybe they were hoping the show would go on for another 100 episodes and be like Naruto or Bleach, one story arc after another but never reaching a conclusion. I just can't get a beat on it.

I kinda expected more adventure since it's an rpg world. First 5 episodes introduced you to the setting. Episodes 6-10, boring political drama as they build a society. That shiny anime glasses thing got old really fast. 11-17 spotlighting a lot of side characters, going to need them for the coming raid. For the most part the show has been very light on action.

Top Top

Spoo
  Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:29 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I've still been sampling the winter 2013 releases. Besides Nisekoi, here's what I've tried:

Inari KonKon - A devout girl named Inari is kind of a crybaby throughout her life, and her preferred place to escape to is the shrine with which she shares her name -- the Inari shrine. One day, after finding out her crush apparently likes some other girl or whatever, she runs there and finds she can see and communicate with the god of the shrine. As a reward for Inari's devotion over the years, the god (named Uka-something-something) grants her one wish. She wishes to be someone else, and the story goes from there. It's a lighthearted, magical girl-ish anime that probably won't keep me interested for very long.

Noragami - This one, though, has potential. A tracksuit-wearing minor-god-for-hire, Yato, aspires to become a famous and well-worshiped deity throughout the world. He plans to accomplish this by using his earnings to fund the construction of a massive shrine in his own name. The problem is, the typical offering to gods is a meager 5-yen -- his shrine is a ways off. But that's not exactly a major plot point. While on a job to find a major god's lost dog or whatever, Yato passes a chick by the name of Hiyori. Hiyori seems to be able to see Yato particularly well for a mortal -- most mortals can see the gods, but only seem to have a vague notion that they are present and almost never remember them in passing. Anyways, stuff happens, Yato almost gets hit by a bus (which, being a God, isn't really a big deal to him), and Hiyori saves him by pushing him out of the way, getting hit by the bus herself. It's implied here that she died for a second or something and partially de-anchored her soul from her body, because she has an out of body experience directly after being hit a-la YuYu Hakusho pilot. She later finds that her soul has a tendency to leave her body on a whim, which leaves her corporeal self unconscious on the spot. More stuff happens, Hiyori looks to Yato for assistance, and the plot really begins. So far I'm digging it. The show in general feels something like Blue Exorcist and Durarara.

Apparently Space Dandy is also pretty rad, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Top Top

LiquidMetal91
  Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm
Sponsor

L1 Slime

Dandy is an either/or anime.

Either you like it, or you think it sucks.
(need to try it out myself as well xD)

Top Top

Spoo
  Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Inari KonKon is sweet but meh.

So Nisekoi is turning out to be Bakemonogatari if Bakemonogatari were an extremely generic slice of romantic school comedy. Like seriously. The entire involvement of mafioso and Yakuza is literally nothing more than an excuse for two of the main characters to pretend they're dating. Like c'mon Akiyuki Shinbo. You worked on Yu Yu Hakusho which was rad. You directed Bakemonogatari which was fucking brilliant. You can do better.

Noragami is looking to be pretty tits though so that's good.

Top Top

Byron
  Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:25 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Noragami is pretty sweet!
I like the idea but I'm sure they'll run it into the ground fast. Go the same generic route where once the big enemy is defeated they end it, rather than introducing new things. Which is a shame cause it has a lot of potential.

I watched an episode of Mushishi, I still can't get over how chill that anime is. It makes half an hour seem like 3 hours.

Samurai Champloo.
The animation is just so goddamn fluid they did a great job on this.
The op and ending are great. Nice chill songs.

I also want to see if I can find Moribito: Guardian of Darkness somewhere. I loved Guardian of the wind.
I feel like I should watch Cowboy bebop or something.

Top Top

Spoo
  Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:10 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
If you liked Samurai Champloo I think Cowboy Beebop would interest you. IIRC it's paced a good bit slower, but it does what it does rather well and overall is a really solid story.

Are you caught up with Noragami, Potion? Because after

Episode like three to nine spoilers

I guess it's kept me interested enough, though that doesn't mean much coming from me. I'm usually too lenient to give solid critique.

On the plus side, Inari KonKon is less of the K-On nonsense I thought it was going to be and actually introduces some real conflict, used though it may be. Still one of those annoying shows that are liable to spawn body pillows as merchandise, so it's a little too anime for my anime.

I checked out Hamatora as a random anime on the list. Not bad, IMHO, and it's certainly original. Doesn't seem to click with me much, though, for whatever reason.

Top Top

Byron
  Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Spooky wrote:
If you liked Samurai Champloo I think Cowboy Beebop would interest you. IIRC it's paced a good bit slower, but it does what it does rather well and overall is a really solid story.

I'll have to give it a try. If I'm honest, Samurai Chaploos story isn't the thing that's keeping me watching it. It's the goddamn animation itself!
It's just so smooth and fluid, every fight is amazing!
Spooky wrote:
Are you caught up with Noragami, Potion? Because after

Episode like three to nine spoilers

All caught up :3 Managed all 10 episodes in 2 days ;)
All episodes could be spoiled here, maybe even future ones!

Last edited by Byron on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Despite not being a HUGE anime lover, I still can't help but think of how neat Madoka Magica was. I even got a Madoka figure!

Also, is it odd I prefer LOOKING at anime art and playing J-RPGs over watching anime? Maybe I just haven't found the right ones...

Oh! I did finish the Sacred Blacksmith like a month ago! The anime was lackluster, so I'd like to finish the manga 2 (which was good).

Top Top

Daxis
  Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:12 am

Noragami is a good popcorn series this season. Good stuff, not the most original or well executed, but has its quirks and is very nice shonen stuff.

Kill la Kill is ending and deserves all praises.

Golden Time is... decent. I just skip most everything and read the dialogue. Good, semi mature, semi shonen stuff otherwise.

Samurai Flamenco is one of the most genius shows I've ever watched (not bakemonogatari level, but good stuff nonetheless)

Log horizon is great stuff for those that invest into it.

Winter 2014 is mildly okay. None are these are actually from winter 2014 besides noragami, but there's two or three shows that may be worth something. Geez, fall 2013 was so amazing. Luckily, summer 2014 is looking to be good, at least for those that fall on the side of shoneny stuff.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next