Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
    Byron
  Sun May 03, 2015 1:54 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I just finished watching Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom.
It didn't have enough of the CQC fights that Ein was really great at, but it was altogether a masterpiece.
I freaking love it so much!
spoils

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
Plastic Memories

Top Top

Spoo
  Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 am
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Yamada and the Seven Witches. Seven episodes in and it's looking very promising. For an anime which has kissing play a major part in the plot, you'd expect a lot of perverted trash scenes, but there aren't. To me, it feels a lot like watching Toradora, which is great.

Also Owari no Seraph, which is interesting enough I guess but nothing special, especially given that it's by the same studio that did Attack on Titan.

SMITE | PATH OF EXILE | BATTLEBLOCK

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
Lord marksman and Vanadis

Watching it this weekend. I actually remembered download something before I leave. Nothing but the weather channel where I'm going.

I've seen a couple episodes already. It's pretty banal if you ask me. Another guy meets harem anime. There's some kind of kingdom-at-war motivating the characters but they're not even trying to make it interesting. Might be a good lesson on bad presentation. But it's rare for anime to do milieu right, and this is only 13 episodes, besides.
Actually, scifi themes like Ghost-in-the-shell are all milieu I think. But fantasy anime is always character structured for some reason. Like, here's this world with it's politics and unique magic system - now push now push that all to the background 'cause every episode will focus on these girls chasing after the same guy. I guess that's a fantasy.

Top Top

Spoo
  Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:46 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I'm slowly watching Psycho-Pass when I get into an anime mood. I like it so far.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I think we'll all eventually see an anime and say, "Hey, I had an idea like that in High school"

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Senyaku is basically that for me. The first episode alone did everything I wanted in my first serious RM project titled Sacrifice.
Pacifist young boy living on an island nation, forced into a pact with a dragon that then possesses him to perform ritual killings with a special sword. Outsider girl with special powers shows up to deal with the boy.

It's crap through. Not just saying that because it was my idea for a role playing game. But because it was literally based on a 6 day RP session between these big name character designers that turned it into a light novel. Man, I could rant about this all day.

Top Top

Spoo
  Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:08 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Jitsu wa Watashi wa's anime has started. Animation quality is great, although I'm not exactly fond of the color choices for a lot of the characters' outfits and hair. Still, it seems to be a good adaptation; the comedy is still there.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:35 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
Leave it to Dragon Ball Super to stretch the ~90min Battle of the Gods movie across 12 episodes. It's practically the same except they moved Bulma's party to a cruise ship and the big battle is ripping the universe apart. It's finally about to enter new territory.

Overlord was ok. The big fight at the end kinda played out like a yu-gi-oh episode explaining the strategy and game mechanics. The show is much more interesting when it's exploring the world and seeding story implications.
I also watched Bikini Warriors. It was only 3 minute episodes. It parodies role-playing games and their misadventures end up getting them naked or violated somehow.

And that's all the anime I watched this season. For Fall 2015, the only thing that caught my interest was Heavy Object, I've seen the characters before on Ryō Nagi's website, the character illustrator of the Ar Tonelico games. It looks like a mecha series with girl protagonist.

Oh, and Digimon Tri which is a 6-part theatrical film series. The first 80min film comes out at the end of November. I'm guessing it'll be a monthly thing.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:45 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

coyotecraft wrote:
Lord marksman and Vanadis

Watching it this weekend. I actually remembered download something before I leave. Nothing but the weather channel where I'm going.

I've seen a couple episodes already. It's pretty banal if you ask me. Another guy meets harem anime. There's some kind of kingdom-at-war motivating the characters but they're not even trying to make it interesting. Might be a good lesson on bad presentation. But it's rare for anime to do milieu right, and this is only 13 episodes, besides.
Actually, scifi themes like Ghost-in-the-shell are all milieu I think. But fantasy anime is always character structured for some reason. Like, here's this world with it's politics and unique magic system - now push now push that all to the background 'cause every episode will focus on these girls chasing after the same guy. I guess that's a fantasy.

I like this anime. Maybe because I like girls and fantasy though. Harem doesn't bother me at all. Right now, at the request of my guy friend, I'm watching through another harem called Monster Musume. I like that one too.

We were watching Sakura Trick, but haven't had a chance to catch more episodes.

Star and I finished Morbito: Guardian of the Spirit. That was great. The animation was amazing.

We also went through the last portion of the Majin Buu Saga on Dragon Ball Z -- that guy friend I mentioned let us borrow Dragon Ball GT. So yup.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:02 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I can't believe Eureka Seven is 10 years old.
That was a goood anime. So many memorable scenes. That episode in the sea of clouds is one of the most dramatic episodes ever.
The way the song Storywriter fazes in while she's falling is beautiful.
I just don't see animation like this anymore. It's not that that it has a unique style that makes the characters more expressive than other anime series but they also have more range of motion pose to pose.
I'm almost afraid to watch the series again and it not be as good as I remember it.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:07 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I'm trying to download episodes to my computer so I have something to watch when I go to my grandparents farm.
But I'm kinda in the dark. I'm just picking a couple different titles that have download links and hope their good.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:58 pm
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
It just now occurred to me that there's a missing character in Dragon Ball super / battle of the gods.

In Dragon Ball GT Vegita and Bulma have a daughter named Bra who is a few years older than Pan. But if Videl is pregnant with Pan at this point. What happened to Bra?
In the dub I think the made Pan older. She's suppose to be 9 but they made her 12 or 14. That might make her older than Bra then. Idk.

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
GT is still considered non-canon, so none of that happened.

Pan gets a pass because Toriyama likes Pan

Top Top

Spoo
  Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Pan was actually around at the end of DBZ though.

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:57 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Hehe, bra

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 pm
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I'm going through a Mecha Anime phase.
Argevollen
Captain Earth
Heavy Object
Demonbane, I've been watching on and off for a few years. Imo, mecha series don't have the kind of story that leaves me dying to watch the next episode to see what happens next. I mean, there's not a lot to the genre. Guy obtains giant robot. Usually plays a passive role up until the end.
Lelouch wasn't a passive character in Code Geass, but he also had mind control powers.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:40 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I just watched the DBZ movie Resurrection 'F'.
I guess I didn't realize Dragon Ball super was covering that movie too, so I've kinda seen the first part already. The animation was pissing me off. I guess Toei likes using 3D fight scenes. I didn't notice it in the Battle of the Gods movie, but I saw it as a LQ stream.
Idk why 3D doesn't look as good as 2D. I spent the who movie trying to put my finger on it. Something about the shadows and highlights not being animated maybe. I expected frieza's globe dome to have a glint move across it as the camera pans by, but it doesn't. Or with any of the super saiyans, the shadows aren't moving or rotating around their face. It's not as stylized when it's computer generated; too consistent.

I think the army fight scene was the best part of the whole movie. It had the most action. Fighting Gold Frieza, they stopped to talk a lot. And there's nothing interesting to look at. That was the other thing that bugged me. I'm used to regular anime scenes using limited animation, where they hold a pose and it's just their mouth moving. But when it was obliviously 3D it feels like there's no reason why they couldn't animation their body language more to punctuate their lines. Push their facial expressions more. Have beads of sweat roll down or even fly off when they move. Something! Show more details!

Top Top

Spoo
  Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:45 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I'm trying to watch One Piece. I really am. Like pretty much every major shonen anime it progresses at the speed of a dead slug and I'm losing my mind trying to sit through it. I can see where it would be enjoyable. Just cut out about 3/4 of the show.

I'm thinking of diverting my anime attention to Soul Eater since it seems to have a more manageable 60(?) episodes. Oh yeah, and Digimon Adventure Tri.1

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:45 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I haven't watched this yet but I love the transformation sequences.

Top Top

Spoo
  Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:20 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I didn't stick with One Piece nor did I divert my attention to Soul Eater.

But Jormungand, hnnnng. I like guns and espionage and morally questionable protagonists and damn it Jormungand does deliver. I'd watched the first series before, but never the English dub. I started it two days ago and finished it this morning.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:10 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I didn't care for One Piece. And I've never watched Soul Eater, maybe one episode.

I've been watching Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry aka Chivalry of a Failed Knight. I don't really like any of the characters and the plot is pretty dumb. But I love the tournament episode format that slowly shows what their powers are and different ways of using them.

It's not a formula that can last forever but they can stretch it out by adding new characters. Although, it's basically a harem anime, so only the female characters make reappearances for fan service.

Top Top

Byron
  Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 am
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans is awesome I really enjoy the plot. I didn't really click with G No Recongista, but I digged the art style.
Also Gundam Thunderbolt is pretty awesome. It's music is great and I actually really like the art style.

Just started watching Ajin. I read a bit of the manga and loved the idea, but the anime, I can't help but feel it was lazily done... It might also be because the site I watched it on had really bad subs, but I dunno... I've never really been a huge fan of CG anime, even with Berserk, my favourite manga series, I feel it detracted from it... :/ Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Top Top

Spoo
  Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Don't know if RWBY counts as anime in any traditional sense, but everyone calls it as such, it's on Crunchyroll, and the team behind it has outright stated they don't care what it's classified as, so whatever.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan early on -- the animation was a little janky, voice acting and lip-syncing left much to be desired, and at times it got terribly cheesy. The thing that kept me watching was really just the cool factor of the weapons and magic. A sniper rifle that transforms into a scythe, a kusarigama(?) that doubles as a submachine gun, shotgun gauntlets, a war hammer that morphs into a grenade launcher -- a ton of cool weapons that, besides being cool, really got me inspired to think of my own.

Staring at season three (each season is around 3 hours long total), there is a vast improvement in story and animation. Suddenly the action is cool, not just the weapons in them. The characters are still kind of meh and the cheese is still there, but to be honest I'm appeased enough by the fight scenes.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:33 am
very undead
Sponsor

Comic Relief

Spoo wrote:
To be honest, I wasn't a fan early on -- the animation was a little janky, voice acting and lip-syncing left much to be desired, and at times it got terribly cheesy.
I agree 100%. I kinda freaked out when they were selling bluray copies of season 1, when its quality visually was not worth it at all. The fights were cool because monty was an animating legend, but season 1 was just too awkward and janky outside of the fights to make it worth it.

Season 2 on the other hand was such an improvement that I actually like it now.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:32 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
Caught up with Dragonball super. Haven't watched it all year. Finally past the Freeza movie arc into new territory with a tournament. I had heard hints and speculation videos about what was going to happen, but the way it actually unfolded was kinda disappointing. I'm not excited about whats going to happen next.
I gotta say Vegeta has really changed. I mean, his relationship with Goku went from nemesis to training partner. Like the rivalry is still there, but they're spending a lot of time together. He's not foaming-at-the-mouth serious all the time

It's kinda nice that Bulma & Jaco are filling the b-side parts of episodes. I didn't care for Trunks & Goten. Feels like its going back to the original Dragon Ball tone; funny antics and martial art displays.

Top Top

Tk8305
  Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 pm

L1 Slime
I'm currently watching Lucky Star! Kagami is my fav. xD

Before I finished watching GJ-Bu. Here is my MAL list if anyone is interested.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TK8305

My YouTube | My Twitter

Currently LPing: Legend of Zelda - Triforce of Terror (ZC)

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:58 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Finished Death Note a bit ago. A masterpiece story.

I like RWBY. :P

Currently watching Revolutionary Girl Utena and WTF'ing too much.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:00 am
Sponsor

Mysterious Wizard
I keep following Hulu's anime suggestions and it keeps leading me to harem/hentai series. I mean, there's nothing in the promotion art that suggests that's what it is. The mc is in an action pose, the girls are covered up.
And you know, I'm not subscribed to any anime media, so unless it was on cartoon network I know nothing about it.

So I watched the first episode of Qwaser of Stigmata, it's from 2010. The first minutes - oh. ok. this girl is getting murder-raped? The MC is actually a 13yo boy (you can't tell how short he is in the promo). He can manipulate iron, like scoops it up like hot wax or something. This rapist lady he fights manipulates magnesium. They get their power from "soma" aka "holy milk" aka "breast milk from a virgin". Yes, they went there. This kid is gripping and sucking on tits as a power up.
It's kinda ridiculous.

Top Top

Tk8305
  Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:30 pm

L1 Slime
I'm currently watching Sakura Trick. On Episode 10.....very cute anime so far! :)

My YouTube | My Twitter

Currently LPing: Legend of Zelda - Triforce of Terror (ZC)

Top Top

Spoo
  Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:36 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
coyotecraft wrote:
I keep following Hulu's anime suggestions and it keeps leading me to harem/hentai series. I mean, there's nothing in the promotion art that suggests that's what it is. The mc is in an action pose, the girls are covered up.
And you know, I'm not subscribed to any anime media, so unless it was on cartoon network I know nothing about it.

So I watched the first episode of Qwaser of Stigmata, it's from 2010. The first minutes - oh. ok. this girl is getting murder-raped? The MC is actually a 13yo boy (you can't tell how short he is in the promo). He can manipulate iron, like scoops it up like hot wax or something. This rapist lady he fights manipulates magnesium. They get their power from "soma" aka "holy milk" aka "breast milk from a virgin". Yes, they went there. This kid is gripping and sucking on tits as a power up.
It's kinda ridiculous.

Is the Japanese title for that one "Saikon no Qwaser" or somesuch? Because I remember it having an awesome OST and also freaking me the fuck out on the first episode because like you I thought it was something entirely different.

In the same vein of vaguely creepy anime, I binge watched all of both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. I can see where all the hype comes from now, at least; it was really enjoyable, especially once the MC got past his initial obligatory "whiny bitch" stage. The last few episodes of season one and most of season two were pretty awesome to me, though that seems to be an unpopular opinion. Very much worth watching. English dub is pretty awesome, too, given that it's by Funimation. Christopher Sabat voices a major villain and he did a fantastic job.

For the past couple days I've finally gotten around to watching OnePunch Man since everyone says it's hilarious. Honestly, while it has been a fun watch, and the way it makes fun of shonen anime tropes is amusing, it's not as amazing as I expected. Mind, this is more a problem of my expectations and the hype that was built up than a problem with the anime itself. It is a cool watch; it's like they took every instance of me saying "get on with it" in an anime and indeed "got on with it" in a predictable, but usually pretty funny way. For what it's worth, the fights are actually pretty neat, even if they are riddled with lampshaded anime tropes themselves. The show ironically has me saying "Yeah, I get it" quite a lot given what it is.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next