Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
    Petros
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm
Sponsor

This is not an obituary before someone goes thinking it is one. This is a goodbye to David Tennant, for those of you who are Doctor Who fans, you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't...

Doctor Who is a British Science Fiction Series that had its first run from the 1960s to 1989 when it went on Hiatus. With the exception of an American Produced TV Movie in 1996 with Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, Doctor Who did not return to our screens again until 2005, when Christopher Eccleston (Heroes, GI Joe) took up the mantle as the Ninth Doctor. Soon however he passed on the torch and the role was taken over by David Tennant after just one season.

The Doctor is an human-like alien being from the planet Gallifrey, he is a timelord and roughly 900 years old. He never ages, and when he dies, he simply regenerates into a completely new body, with a new personality, new appearance, "new everything really", except he remains with the memories and experiences of the previous Doctor, making him the same person but allowing for each actor to bring about his own new version of The Doctor

Today on January 1st 2010, David "The Tenth Doctor" Tennant, became the most recent actor to vacate the role after four fantastic years playing the beloved character. Many consider Tennant to be the best Doctor there has been, often even beating Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor, who before the reboot was often considered the fans favourite. Tennant has done a fantastic job with Doctor Who over the last four years and his goodbye, though as drawn out as the ending of The Return of the King, was a grand and emotional journey. I'll be posting my review of Tennant's final episode soon "The End of Time" but here is just a farewell to David Tennant, any fans of Doctor Who are welcome to share your thoughts on the end of this grand era and your favourite memories of the Tenth Doctor... Allons-y!

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Last edited by Petros on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:28 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

David Tennant is the only Doctor I know of from that show, and I adored him. He was funny, quirky, and he was probably the reason I started watching and loving that show. :) Since I moved and can't watch TV at the moment, I haven't seen any recent episodes of him - but once I heard that they are getting a new doctor I was actually quite sad. :/

Top Top

candle
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12 pm
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

Here's to hoping the eleventh Doctor is just as good. Maybe wyatt can tell us, that is if he makes an appearance in Tennant's last episode. I'm pretty sure wyatt is a Whovian.

Top Top

moog
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:16 pm
Sponsor

Quote:
<MegaFlare> DOCTOR WHO SUCKS
<como> get
<como> out

Quote:
<como> youre not allowed in here if you dont like dr who
<como> and im being serious

yeah im pretty sure he is

Top Top

Ellie
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:24 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Doctor Who? What is that?

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:42 am

No more tennant, no more donna :(

also, the new doctor sounds like a pubescent twerp and they had better not ruin it

(they are asspulling some daleks and the stone angels and I think I saw river song??? so yeah idk)

Top Top

Ellie
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
My sister said he was good in somethingorother

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 am

We had the best of times :cry: :cry:

Top Top

So fist
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Who?

Top Top

So fist
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Ha Ha. That was the best one word joke ever.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:39 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm gonna watch this SO hard

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 pm

I hate Matt Smith already. :mad:

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Is it me or does this new doctor have funky looking hairstyle? o.O I dunno, he looks kind of weird. I guess it's a good thing that I can't watch Doctor Who anymore. It'd probably seem... different. XD

Top Top

Ellie
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:24 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I'd have to see him first. Didn't think Tennant was gonna work after seeing him in Blackpool but by fuck did he work well.

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:05 am

spastic wrote:
fingers

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:28 am

Why didn't the new Doctor lop off a limb to help prevent any unwanted timey-wimey timelord-human meta-crises? :(

Top Top

Petros
  Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 am
Sponsor

I had an immense dislike for Matt Smith when I first heard about him. However I can't help but love him him after five seconds, although I'm not sure about "Geronimo!"

Steven Moffat though as head writer is gonna be awesome though. For those of you who don't know he's written the best episodes of Doctor Who the past five years, in fact he's actually won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form three years running for "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances", "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink", he was also nominated this year for "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" but lost out to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog by Joss Whedon (Creator of Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse). Moffat also wrote the first of the Tin-Tin movies to be directed by Speilberg and Produced by Peter Jackson, apparently he was "love bombed" into writing them for them, which goes to show he is clearly a great writer.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Petros wrote:
Steven Moffat though as head writer is gonna be awesome though. For those of you who don't know he's written the best episodes of Doctor Who the past five years, in fact he's actually won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form three years running for "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances", "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink", he was also nominated this year for "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" but lost out to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog by Joss Whedon (Creator of Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse). Moffat also wrote the first of the Tin-Tin movies to be directed by Speilberg and Produced by Peter Jackson, apparently he was "love bombed" into writing them for them, which goes to show he is clearly a great writer.

Who turned out the light?

The person you are looking for is no longer in the library.

*wets bed* :dead:

Moffat is great: he actually writes plots - with resolutions! I mean, I know it's DW, but there is only so many times you can watch a Russell T. Davis episode which is forty minutes action, and then five minutes deus ex machina: This is what destroyed Series Four - "Turn Left", Wonderful! "The Stolen Earth", epic: the best thing on TV since forever. "Journey's End", wtf?!

Top Top

Petros
  Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm
Sponsor

Are you my mummy?
Are you my mummy?

Don't even blink! Blink and your dead. Not for a second, don't turn your back, don't look away, don't Blink.

Yeah Moffat is a great writer, but there's something I do fear a little was that Russel T. Davies and Steven Moffat were a great combination, Davies was sentimental and light hearted, Moffat was dark and mysterious. I think that's why David Tennant's tenure was so brilliant.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Have you heard? THE WEEPING ANGELS ARE COMING BACK!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNstR3PKpdo&feature=fvw[/youtube]

Doctor Who tribute: See how far you can get without :cry: ing.

(I got as far as the [brilliant] bit with Astrid.)

Top Top

Petros
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 am
Sponsor

I'd be interested to see what they do with the weeping angels a second time around because that episode was brilliantly done, but it worked well as a one-off not as the start of recurring villains such as Judoon.

I actually preffered the moment in the show during Journey's End, if it's anything RTD does well, it's heartbreak for The Doctor. Like the the loss of Rose in Doomsday or as this clip shows "The man who keeps running, never looking back because he dare not out of shame."

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I don't want to see the angels redone, that episode was fantastic, but it can't be done again.

Just like "the last dalek" should have been... the last dalek.

-.-

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Doctor Who: Master of Asspull

seriously if they ruin this I'll write to points of view or something equally annoying

Top Top

Incognitus
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Commodore Whynot wrote:
Just like "the last dalek" should have been... the last dalek.

Don't worry. They've all be destroyed (again) now; It should be at least a Season until we see from them.

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm

the daleks are in it

or at least one

Top Top

Incognitus
  Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Holy crap!

Best preview EVER. It looks so much... darker than the Davis years - and I think I'm beginning to warm to Matt Smith.

(I want that Dalek to turn out to be a good guy for a change. He could be the Doctor's companion.)

I've just done some spoiler-googling: Speaking of Daleks!!!
Content Hidden

Top Top

Petros
  Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:11 am
Sponsor

My only fear about Moffat is that he may be too dark in the end. I've just got this nagging feeling that he and Davis worked well off each other, one providing the dark episodes and the other providing the lighthearted. I think Davis gets a bad rap for some reason but without him there'd be no new Doctor Who and he has written some excellent episodes, like Doomsday and The Last of the Time Lords, which is coincidentally my favourite arc, I just love The Master.

Also I'm not too sure I like the idea of The Doctor firing off that gun there, that seems very unlike The Doctor, especially considering all the refusal to use the gun in The End of Time. I too am warming to Matt Smith but something about him still bugs me, he's just still too young for me, I mean I know Tennant was the second youngest doctor ever but whilst he looked young it still felt like he was a man too an aged 906 year old Time Lord, Matt Smith on the other hand, seems a little too young and vibrant, not as Shakespearean as Tennant or as funny and charming as Eccleston.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Quote:
Also I'm not too sure I like the idea of The Doctor firing off that gun there, that seems very unlike The Doctor, especially considering all the refusal to use the gun in The End of Time.

He refused to shoot and kill someone - even to save his own life. Look at what he's doing in the film (And I assume you don't mean the first one - which is obviously a starter pistol): He's shooting into the air; he's in a dark room; there is light on his face.

Conclusion: This is part of the Weeping Angels episode - he's shooting out the only lightbulb in the room. :D

Also, is that the human Lady Cassandra back? And, with Eleven's catchphrase apparently "Geronimo" - how long until he encounters... Goyahkla. :haha:

Top Top

Petros
  Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 am
Sponsor

Hmmm I dunno, perhaps its the fact that I'm seeing a whole new doctor and set of writers. Moffat is brilliant and all, he's a genius, but I can't help but feel this is going a bit "ohhh. let's makes things dark because dark is always better, and lets throw a young guy in there so the teens can relate to him"

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 pm

^ The end of Saturday's episode and the series trailer (spoilers alert!).

So... what does everyone think?

I think the cinematography is a great improvement over the last one; I love the new Tardis interior - it really gives off an incredible science-fantasy-fairy-tale vibe.

I hope they keep up the good work with the new soundtrack - it's a great improvement so far over those bombastic pieces of the last five years.

Poor Amy Pond: How late do you think she'll be to
Content Hidden
XD

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next