Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
    Holder
  Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 pm
Dancing on the sand.

Responses and spoilers

Anyway a great episode from Moffat, and by the way the people that have said about the two worst episodes... just remember he wasn't the one that wrote them. Yes he did approve the power ranger like daleks only because they are closer to how they used to look than the gold plated newer ones.

He's a big fan of the old days, hence the Tardis looking like williams' and showing the older faces, plus he did say this was in his view the 37th series rather than the 3rd.

Time war... please that's destroyed the main appeal of the doctor and I hate RTD for making that up. There's now going to be no unexpected pit stops for the doctor to do what the time lords want him to do, on top of that it's changed how the doctor is. What was once a trap of the universe wondering around doing what he wants is now a constant world hero, something that Moffat has tried to turn away from everyone knowing.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:27 pm

I :heart: you.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:41 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Rename rec room The Tardis, after all it looks so much smaller from the outside.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:10 am

I've watched it again (Twice).

Rory says, casually to Amy's mother - "I was plastic. He was the stripper on my stag night"

Content Hidden

Top Top

Holder
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:20 am
Dancing on the sand.

Incognitus

By the way, off topic completely but what's the posting rules here? Always wondered that what with the double and triple posts going on.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:26 am

Content Hidden

Quote:
By the way, off topic completely but what's the posting rules here? Always wondered that what with the double and triple posts going on.

Don't worry: the moderators make them up as they go along.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
We're here to have a good time not to look good - without meaning to sound too anarchistic the rules are pretty lax and as long as you don't be an ass or act like one you'll be fine.

It also depends on the context. Twitter thread? Nobody really cares; project thread? well, are they relevant, necessary, and not just bumps or one worders?.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Hell we haven't warned anybody in years. We're just here to have fun!

Top Top

Ellie
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Heck sometimes it helps. If you're writing a post and would normally add a tilde, or a line break, or several spaces, to break up a wall of text to point out two things are unrelated, often double posting is better.

~

Back on topic, can't wait for the xmas special. I was a bit iffy because it's such a cliched scenario - but then the xmas specials always are, which is what's cool about them. Splits up the series' with a bit of fun.

I still wish we got to see Space Florida though :cheers:

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:28 pm

como wrote:
I still wish we got to see Space Florida though :cheers:

...and how the Doctor rescued it from Space BP...

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Quote:
Steven Moffat said that Matt Smith grew fond of the fez so they had to destroy it to stop him from insisting on wearing it next series. Matt Smith had also once said that he hoped the costume evolved to include a hat.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Fez

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah, if you watched confidential on bbc3, they did a 5 minute or so stint on la fez

Top Top

Holder
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm
Dancing on the sand.

Ah okay thanks for clearing that posting thing up :)

next series 2011

fez ^^ Ah he can buy one later, brilliant how that was the first thing he was disappointed about.

Oh Someone mentioned about seeing another three doctors like movie, I don't think we'll ever see Christopher Eccleston as the doctor again - He really wanted out of that role asap. Tennant would love to as he last said. Tom Baker would only come back as a bad guy ^^ - and I'm not sure about Paul McGann since it was licensed to Fox who knows how long he's under contract with them for that character on TV, but I know that after the film he did flippin loads of Radio episodes and or audio books. So I wouldn't mind those three in a movie together.

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 pm

If he buys another fez, he will run into river and she will confiscate it. It's bound to happen.

Top Top

Holder
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:09 pm
Dancing on the sand.

Okay here's something that makes it seem no-one likes the ideas and concepts RTD came up with or something deeper...

Father's Day episode, with the events from someone being within the world that shouldn't be. Okay they've done that one alot where people have lived on and those creatures didn't appear.
Now in addition to this those creatures were made incredibly strong when a paradox of one person from each time touched and these creatures would ONLY deal with matters instead of the ones that normally would....>>Theory idea inside
Content Hidden

Top Top

Holder
  Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:10 pm
Dancing on the sand.

Series 31 Episode 13 clip

Top Top

Petros
  Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 am
Sponsor

I will bring my discussion to the table about The Big Bang eventually about things I loved and the things I viciously hated, in video format as part of my Series 5 review I'm nerding out for youtube. But two things I'll say before hand, thought the episode was great fun and a lot of good moments, The Doctor and Rory made a great team, River forcing a make a Dalek cry mercy was great and Big Bang 2 was great as was the ending as to how they didn't explain everything and that next season is a continuing story rather than the end of one season and the beginning of another, it's kinda how I always hoped the Bad Wolf would play out. BUT sometimes I think that certain "If you can remember me I can come back from the dead and never-never-existed-land" parts were utter bullshit that made no sense what-so-ever as the story currently explained it, DW is always known for the bizzare and wonderful but that was just a step beyond, almost to the level of Victory of the Daleks, "Oh I can deactivate a bomb in my chest by thinking about a girl I had a crush on in my implanted memories".

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 pm

... So you have no problem with Plastic Rory - who comes "back from the dead" thanks to Amy's memories and eventually (?) manages to overcome his Auton programming due to the Power of Love - but do with Dalek bomb Bracewell deactivating himself by the Power of Love, and the Doctor planting a fnord in Amy's mind as a means of bringing himself "back from the dead" thanks to Amy's memories? :|

Top Top

Petros
  Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:00 pm
Sponsor

He was brought back from the dead by the Autons, that wasn't Rory as the killing of her suggested. It was a copy, a plastic clone of him using the residual pieces of information gathered from the past (though I don't quite understand how these got left behind, explain moffat, explain). The power of love thing is such a deus ex bullshita, there's no given explaination for it except "Amy is special" How is she fucking special! No rhyme or reason was given, it's the worst kind of overly sentimental crap that RTD used to come with. If they explain it next season sure it'll give answers but they didn't focus on WHY she was special at all, what was SPECIAL about her, hints, clues? Nothing, nope she's just special, and given that this is the 3rd time we've seen her be "special" I would have liked SOMETHING to explain it, just SOMETHING that was said this season otherwise it looks too much like a plant and pay off with no explanation, I mean that's screenwriting 101. They needed to plant something about why she was special, not just what she can do because she's special, and they needed to plant it this season so that we're not left thinking like I was "Oh come on...". They say she's special, but give no indication as to why she's special, not what she can do because she's special. Repeating myself here I know, but it's just a bit, eh.

It reminded me of Bad Wolf - Why the hell does Bad Wolf remind her to go back for the Doctor. Again also the first season for Moffat so these things can be excused. Hopefully next season will be even better, I did love this year, it's better than Season 4 and the Specials, about on par with Season 1 but not as good a Season 2 & 3. One last point is to compare this idea of "human power" to another, let's say, in Last of the Time Lords, the Doctor's Gaining of power. It was done well because the human race used a single thought amplified by a network of satellites all at once whilst the Doctor (who we know has psychic powers) tuned himself into that network and used all that psychic ability to "regenerate" as it were. This time, what just the power of love brings peace and stops bombs. It's not explained, it's not a well written plot device, I hope to god they don't leave it at that and explain WHY she is special next season. Sorry, this is something I had to get off my chest.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Incognitus
  Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Quote:
The power of love thing is such a deus ex bullshita, there's no given explaination for it except "Amy is special" How is she fucking special! No rhyme or reason was given, it's the worst kind of overly sentimental crap that RTD used to come with. If they explain it next season sure it'll give answers but they didn't focus on WHY she was special at all, what was SPECIAL about her, hints, clues? Nothing, nope she's just special, and given that this is the 3rd time we've seen her be "special" I would have liked SOMETHING to explain it, just SOMETHING that was said this season otherwise it looks too much like a plant and pay off with no explanation, I mean that's screenwriting 101. They needed to plant something about why she was special, not just what she can do because she's special, and they needed to plant it this season so that we're not left thinking like I was "Oh come on...". They say she's special, but give no indication as to why she's special, not what she can do because she's special. Repeating myself here I know, but it's just a bit, eh.

Yes. Yes you are.

Amy was special because she had lived all her life next to a crack in the universe. The Timefield flowed through her dreams every night. Her mind was the only thing in the universe attuned to the raw matter of purest cosmos. The Doctor said it right out.

Quote:
He was brought back from the dead by the Autons, that wasn't Rory as the killing of her suggested. It was a copy, a plastic clone of him using the residual pieces of information gathered from the past

Oh, no, no, no, no, no. [<- say as Patrick Troughton]

At the Wedding, Rory remembers that he "was made of plastic". The Doctor turns to Rory earlier in the episode and speaks of the power of memories, telling him that, when the Nestene Consciousness used the imprint of Amy's memories, they "got more than they bargained for", and essentially conjured up Rory's "soul" instead of a duplicate image. Rory had feelings - like Bracewell in "Victory of the Daleks". Having those feelings was the sum of his humanity.

Quote:
One last point is to compare this idea of "human power" to another, let's say, in Last of the Time Lords, the Doctor's Gaining of power. It was done well because the human race used a single thought amplified by a network of satellites all at once whilst the Doctor (who we know has psychic powers) tuned himself into that network and used all that psychic ability to "regenerate" as it were.

Sorry, but you must be the only person (who isn't due to hit puberty any year soon!) who thinks that the ending of Last of the Time Lords was good. :smile:
Whenever I see anything satirizing how to write a crappy ending to a Doctor Who series, they always - without exception - bring up Last of the Time Lords. (Not the TV Movie though: that never existed) :crazy:

Frankly, I think the entire third season was a bit of a mess. I thought the only enjoyable bits of the finale were at the end of Utopia - everything from Professor Yana finding his watch onwards, and that was only because it was a nice entertaining twist.
There was zero character development throughout the series; characters changed, oh yes, but it all occurred off-screen.

And who the hell is Martha? Why do we even care?

"I *do* believe in Timelords. I *do*! I *DO*!" :haha:

One series just did it a lot better than the other.

Top Top

Petros
  Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm
Sponsor

The third season had 42, Human Nature, Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, The Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords all in a row. That's not a mess, that's an incredible season.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Holder
  Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:57 pm
Dancing on the sand.

I didn't like 42 at all, I didn't see any time to get to know or like an of the characters, and it was all too rushed. It was one of those episodes where I wish they still did it in the old style of a little shorter with more parts. Thanks america :sad:
Human Nature & Family of Blood was based on a book, which they pulled off very well. I really enjoyed these ones.

Quote:
(Not the TV Movie though: that never existed)

Actually they could have made that movie more important if they had of went along with what actually happened in it with what was going on in the third season.
Movie event leading to season 3

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Quote:
The third season had 42, Human Nature, Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, The Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords all in a row. That's not a mess, that's an incredible season.

42 was pointless. It wore it's premise too openly on it's sleeve so that it sucked any sense of narrative right out of the story.

Human Nature/Family of Blood: It was okay, and well-acted- and the score was great; Murray Gold really out did himself.
To be honest though , the book was more interesting, and actually made the fact that it felt disjointed compared to the material around it a plot point.
Furthermore, the book actually makes the distinction between John Smith and The Doctor easier to follow, and I found it easier to get emotionally involved with the characters, and their choices. Besides, the book shows that, even when he's not around, the Seventh Doctor is still a master chess player!

Blink - I'm not going to deny this one. Blink is the sole highlight of Season 3.

Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords: There is little good to be said about this trilogy. The setting of Utopia was fantastic and underused - the whole idea of trying to escape the heat death of the universe... and Derek Jacobi carries the whole thing. David Tennant isn't up to his usual high standard, John Barrowmen has made Harkness about as irritating as he is, and obviously Freema Agyeman is a on-screen Void.

The moment Yana opens the watch and we get his portrayal of the Master - dark, brooding, and powerful - I thought we were going to get a great finale... but then they went and regenerated him into John Simm, retconned his character, and turned him into the Joker and presented a weak plot in which the only interesting parts happened a.) off-screen and b.) not at all.

In conclusion, Season Three (with the exception of Blink) should fall into a Time Crack.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Holder wrote:
Quote:
(Not the TV Movie though: that never existed)

Actually they could have made that movie more important if they had of went along with what actually happened in it with what was going on in the third season.
Movie event leading to season 3

The Eighth Doctor Adventures feature the return of the Master (as well as slowly retconning the events of the movie out of existence. RTD *couldn't* have gone ahead and bitchslapped all the people who put effort into keeping "the series" going, by retconning specific plot points out of existence. ;)

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Donna was also called "special" but we never found out what was special about her (or did we?)

Top Top

silver wind
  Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 pm
Chompil

Incognitus wrote:
In conclusion, Season Three (with the exception of Blink) should fall into a Time Crack.

get out

I didn't like Last of the Time Lords though. The doctor was so.. useless. I also wish they wouldn't have changed the actor when the watch opened.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I do like the Master though. I forget his actor's name, but if you like him, I recommend the series Life on Mars (it's a 1970's cop drama based around a time-travel plot, VERY good series).

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next