Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
    Ellie
  Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
What there's

an american version

fck that it's a BRITISH COP DRAMA :(

Top Top

candle
  Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

At least we haven't copied Ashes 2 Ashes... Yet.

Top Top

Holder
  Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:15 am
Dancing on the sand.

como wrote:
Donna was also called "special" but we never found out what was special about her (or did we?)

Donna Nobel, A 'temp' from bla bla bla anyways:

Donna for the latin Lady
Temp as in Tempus Latin for Time
Nobel as in Lord

But yeah like most of the things I tend to work out, it doesn't happen how I'd have liked. :(

Top Top

Incognitus
  Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 am

como wrote:
Donna was also called "special" but we never found out what was special about her (or did we?)

She's the fasted temp in Chiswick; 100 words per minute!

If you interpret it literally, then I think it's supposed to be Dalek Caan's fault. But then, when confronted with it, Dalek Caan simultaneously confirms and denies everything.

However, I thought the better resolution was that Donna was special - in the same way the Doctor finds everyone to be special, important, and so-on, no matter how trivial they might appear to be.
She just had no sense of self-worth (when we first meet her) and, due to the various outside influences (The Doctor, Rose in the alternative timeline) came to have some sense of her own value.
In each timeline, the external influences proved to be... misleading. I thought the apex of her character was that moment in "Turn Left" when she gambled her life to save the world. There are very few people who would or could make that choice at that moment, or even conceive of something like that working... and she consciously made a decision to step under a van.

^ Is this coherent? ._.

Last edited by Incognitus on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 am

como wrote:
I do like the Master though. I forget his actor's name, but if you like him, I recommend the series Life on Mars (it's a 1970's cop drama based around a time-travel plot, VERY good series).

I like John Simm, and I thought his portrayal of "Madman-who-wants-to-conquer-Earth-and-then-the-universe-because-he-has-a-banging-headache" to be very compelling.

I just wonder what he would have been like playing The Master.

Top Top

Holder
  Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm
Dancing on the sand.

Nice Incognitus. There was that bit with the visible skull where I though he was seeking another regeneration or something like that, but nah - RTD "I'll just give him super powers"

Oh has anyone heard any information about the box set DVD of this series containing bits from in between the episodes, called something like "What happens in the TARDIS"?

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I've kept the finale on my planner.

The moment the universe goes Kablammy in "The Pandorica Opens" and the "Something Borrowed" scene from "the Big Bang" still make me want to cry like a baby.

Anyone following the Sarah Jane Adventures?

I've started watching this season solely for the upcoming "The Death of the Doctor" episode, featuring Matt Smith and Katy Manning reprising her role as Third Doctor companion Jo Grant.

Top Top

Anski
  Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 am

L1 Slime
I haven't watched a single Dr Who episode.

I'm like 10 seasons behind.

Should I start with the first?

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:39 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Start with the new series IMO.

Top Top

Holder
  Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:40 pm
Dancing on the sand.

:biggrin: Got some nice information on the next series and Sarah Jane Adventures which has got a lot of fans up in arms at RTD.

Starting with SJA
Content Hidden

Next series first episodes location
Content Hidden

Who's in it...
Content Hidden

Has anyone else read the books? They seem to tie in quite well with the series and I don't know if what I've been reading will lead onto the next series.

Great thing about Doctor who is that even though it's into it's 32nd series you can start from pretty much anywhere and know and start to understand what it's about and what's going on.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Holder wrote:
:biggrin: Got some nice information on the next series and Sarah Jane Adventures which has got a lot of fans up in arms at RTD.

Yeah. Jo Grant. I'm hoping RTD gives her a bit more characterization without derailing her completely. It will be nice to have a lot more old references - I like the fact that they had the Brigadier on a few years ago.

And, now that I know this, I am up in arms.

Content Hidden

Quote:
Who's in it...

Have you heard that it's going to split into two blocks? Apparently because the first block is going to end with
Content Hidden

Quote:
Has anyone else read the books? They seem to tie in quite well with the series and I don't know if what I've been reading will lead onto the next series.

I've only read the New Adventure Series - not the New Series Adventures. ;P

Top Top

Incognitus
  Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Has anyone else read/will be reading the Michael Moorcock book "The Coming of the Terraphiles"?

Any reviews? :)

Top Top

Holder
  Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 am
Dancing on the sand.

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspo ... r-who.html

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
He did hint at it in the series with talk of a swimming pool. I wanna see that. With Amy in it. Hmm.

Top Top

Holder
  Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:00 pm
Dancing on the sand.

lol Tom baker actually ran through that room when he was getting chased by a Sontaran, and I think Lela had a bit of a swim in it once. Think is though they used an old abandoned factory, it didn't look like the walls of the tardis it had pipes and stuff all over, hence why people think that the concept art there is of the corridors, others argue that it's from the series 5 episode with the Silurians.

The game was an apparent let down with having only one other room, and all the other corridors ending back into the console room.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Oh that's great news. Heck, I got excited when Tennant went into "the attic" XD

One of the reasons I've always wanted to make a Doctor Who fangame has *always* been to make a cool Tardis set. I too was pissed off by the Tardis game.

I'd like to see the Cloister Room, and the boot cupboard. We know the cloister room still exists inside the Tardis because the cloister bell kept going off in Seasons 4/5.

Top Top

Holder
  Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:16 am
Dancing on the sand.

Wasn't it either The Keeper of Traken or Logopolis where you seen the Cloister Room? All covered in vines n' stuff or was that when Tegan got lost inside?

I'd like to see each assistants rooms, mind you though they'd only have to construct a T shape corridor and put up a fake wall now and then, with shooting from different ends it could work.

That was fun seeing a Police Box inside of a Tardis, just remembered about that bit :P

Top Top

Incognitus
  Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Yeah - it appeared a lot throughout Tom Baker's final season. It is the vine-y place, and Teagan did get lost inside.

Top Top

Holder
  Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 am
Dancing on the sand.

Americans can now understand Doctor Who:

Yeah the had to cut this after they found out that they weren't allowed to use the theme music.

Top Top

candle
  Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 am
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

im so glad we're finally getting the christmas special at the same time at the brits.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:04 am

And speaking of the Christmas Special, someone had to post this sooner or later!

"A Christmas Carol" meets "It's a Wonderful Life" [IN SPACE!] anyone?

Am loving The Doctor's new tweed jacket, his tumbling out of the fireplace, that frankly magnificent shot of him peering through the window with the TARDIS in the background.

Also, if Matt Smith can seriously control a scene opposite Michael Gambon, then I think everyone may have seriously understated his abilities as an actor. :D

And, as a side note; Playing the Aborted Video-Gaming Fetuses that are "Evacuation Earth" and "Return to Earth" as well as the rather mediocre BBC download games has rekindled my interest in making a Doctor Who fangame. I'm pretty sure others here must have had that urge - and if you have do feel free to drop a line or just reply to this topic. I mean, I have plenty of ideas in how to go about this but my Rather-Crappy-Dalek-Sprites are a clear testament to the fact that I can't do this alone. XD

Let's see what sort of talent we can scare up, and collectively decide how to go from there. ;)

Top Top

Incognitus
  Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:11 am

The episode was completely eclipsed by that "Coming Soon" trailer.

So we have:

'Spoilers Sweetie xxx'

:squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!: :cute:

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:01 pm

the episode was still excellent though

Top Top

Mikepjr
  Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:09 pm
Guy who knows less, than he thought he knew.

I have been a Doctor Who fan since Tom Baker(that should tell you how old i am)
I'm actually happy with Matt Smith, he kinda holds the torch pretty well in my opinion.
I no longer have cable though sadly, so i am missing a LOT.
Everyone has a problem with the new guy each time they change actors, but i don't, i always seem to warm up pretty quickly with the new guy each time, i instantly liked Matt though.. he started off .... very energetic, very um.. off the wall, a bit silly.. but also... very um... wow.. very assertive.. like in the first episode near the end, when the aliens are scanning and it shows him in all his past um.. generations.. and he steps forward and goes "hello, i'm the Doctor" and they just... take right the hell off not even wanting to try and give him a problem.

And twice the Doctor used a gun.. but not on a person.. twice he just used it as a tool to help .. change a situation.. he still never uses them on people, he just uses it when he needs to damage some machinery or something.

I love the series so far with Matt... i'm kinda iffy on the intro theme change is all though.
David was awesome.. i won't disagree.. but.. i think when ever someone hates the new guy, it's just cause they were so used to the other guy it's hard for them to move on.

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Strangely I wasn't that imPressed by the new ePisode, it wasn't very well thought out. It was good, and Watchaboe but it wasn't their beat.

Top Top

Mikepjr
  Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm
Guy who knows less, than he thought he knew.

Watchaboe?

And i read something a few posts up that made me go..WTF
Since when is Canada, America?
Last i checked, Canada was it's own country... *looks totally confused*

And what was the last episode about?
I can't watch it sadly.

Top Top

Incognitus
  Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:33 am

mouse (ipod) wrote:
Strangely I wasn't that imPressed by the new ePisode, it wasn't very well thought out. It was good, and Watchaboe but it wasn't their beat.

I thought it was a lot better than the last couple of specials - mainly because the writing and camerawork were much much more engaging; some of those lines were pure brilliant, and those shots of the Tardis glowing in the background with it's door ajar are the stuff my inner child's dreams are made of. :3

That said, I was pretty disappointed at the characterization of Kazran Sardick - I just couldn't get invested in Adult!Kazran. Mainly it was the fact that all I could see was this unconvincing and illogical step from "Isolated and lonely as child" or "Heartbroken by lost love" to... well...

[SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW. NOT GOING TO TAG IT, BUT SOME PEEPS MIGHT WANT TO AVOID IT]

This is the thing, in the Dicken's story, the final nail that ensures Scrooge becomes a covetous miser is that he wanted to give the girl he loved all he felt she deserved, but missed the fact that she was more interest in him than what he could do for her: when he lost her, he fell into a pattern of hoarding; he rejected love in favour of the material.

Sardick is willing to let four thousand people die out of apathy - he can't be bothered to turn off a machine for about half an hour. There was nothing in his past that justified this - it wasn't a choice for him, it was just apathy. If there had been something about how it would impact him negatively, lost earnings or something from the machine being deactivated, then I would be more convinced... as it stands, he had nothing to gain or lose - and he even told the Doctor this himself, ignoring any bandage the . He was going to let 4000 people die out of sheer apathy: I could only see him as a complete monster. With his rewritten past, I thought he was gearing up to tell the Doctor that he was going to let them die just to spite him for having the audacity to pull such a stunt - but that ultimately fizzled out.

It was, in my opinion, a very disappointing piece of characterization from Moffat who is usually very good at it.

On a lighter note, combining several of the hints, production spoilers and a bit of light-guess work... I think I know who/what River Song is, and who she killed. :3 :specs: :shades: :smoke:

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next