Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Friendly Friend
  Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm
Peaceful Greetings

Glad to see that you're enjoying My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. They're many people who enjoy this show, as we're fans/bronies of the show.

You can thank Lauren Faust and the team behind the cartoon for creating this wonderfully show.

Top Top

moog
  Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:37 pm
Sponsor

Friendly Friend wrote:
Here's one of my many favorite videos that I like to share to everyone.

ok now youre trolling. its pretty funny though so please continue

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:31 pm
Peaceful Greetings

I was just contributing to the thread, not trolling. Am I bothering you? I'm sorry if I made you angry, I just wanted to show everyone this cool video that was made by bronies.

Please forgive me...

Top Top

bacon
  Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:38 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
guys
dont accuse people of trolling if they are trolling then you dont need to point it out
the person is contributing to a discussion i dont really care if you think that their opinion is stupid or they are stubborn
that really doesnt make it trolling because the person is continuing a discussion
so stop calling people trolls

if you dont have anything to say about mlp that is constructive/adds to the conversation then dont say it at all
seriously next person to do it gets a warn~
Ive given pretty much a bunch of warnings about this but no one is listening so oh well
and dont respond to this~

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I gotta say, whatever everyone else says, I'm actually in love with the animation even if it is "lazy". So much time has clearly been spent on it, regardless of the medium it's created in.

Top Top

GameBoy
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am
Awesome avatar isn't it?

Uhm I didn't watched any ep of My Little Pony, but I must say something about that "this is for children, and I'm adult so this will suck" thing.
As a grown up man, who just recently finished school (I'm going to study at university this year) I really enjoy fairy tales, book and movies for children. For example I think that Wizard of Oz series beats shit out from most "adult" fantasy like Lord Of The Rings etc cause it's actually fantasy, not some medieval-like-world-with-orcs-and-magic(TM). Of course I don't say that ALL children books are that good, or better than "adult" books, but I'd never say that they are WORSE just because they are for kids.

I think that MLP must be at least decent, otherwise it wouldn't get that huge attention from adults. I'm gonna try it soon.

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm
Peaceful Greetings

@GameBoy

Quote:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves.
To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow.
But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development.
When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so.
Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C.S. Lewis

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Hey that's a pretty good quote.

I hate how adults playing with Lego etc are seen as childish.

Top Top

Cait
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 pm
“I worship impersonal Nature, which is neither "good" or "bad", and who knows neither love nor hatred.”

O.o WOW! That is a pretty good quote!

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

I don't have a problem with people that watch MLP. We all have our guilty pleasures, whether I agree with them or not.

My only problem is that some people who watch the show feel a sense of entitlement for some reason - like they're superior because they admit they watch a children's show. And yeah, these people do exist.

I love to indulge in youth fiction and revel in shows targeted towards children, but I don't embark on a mission to "convert" other people to liking the stuff. You like MLP, sure, but you don't have to convince anybody else to like it.

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 pm
Peaceful Greetings

What Gameboy said reminded me of C.S Lewis quote, thats why I posted it, glad you all liked it.

@ dadevster: Yes, you are indeed correct as it is not right to force someone's liking down another's throut, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't allow someone to enjoy what they like because you don't like it.

Top Top

glorious caesar
  Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Warnings: 1
the cs lewis quote is irrelevant to this because the basis of the argument comes from bronies saying that the show HAS ADULT DEPTH MADE FOR AN ADULT AUDIENCE TOO and that just isn't true. i mean yeah in my research (reading wikipedia lolol) i found that the creators of the show pay attention to their fanbase and that's a really cool thing that gives me some kind of respect for the show but at the same time

MLP made for kids (girl kids) and people claiming that it has some kind of underlying adult theme are just bullshitting themselves and making up excuses for watching kids shows. they're saying things that aren't true in an attempt to justify their fandom. so recognizing it from that perspective, the bronies themselves are the ones who should read that quote.

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm
Peaceful Greetings

I can understand where your coming from, as it's true that the show was made for kids. But that doesn't mean that the show can't be enjoyed by adults because the show was made for all ages. To be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.

I love the show because of the calm, cute, humor, writing, and nostalgia the show is and how surprising the show is unlike it's other generations ( as before FiM existed, my little pony was just a advertisement ploy to sell toys for little girls).

It's a breath of fresh air how FiM accomplished the impossible which lead to massive impact that is the brony fandom.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm
An insufferable bitch with inescapable magnetism.

Mysterious Wizard

Location: The Intangible Nexus that divides realities into observable manifestations of being.
Hey guys, you know there's a secret trick to know when Watching My Little Pony, you have to be high.

Weed usually does the trick, it's what makes the show awesome, it's why people enjoy it.

The Colours, the music, see the picture?

Top Top

Ellie
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:00 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I would imagine weed makes anything interesting, even balamory.

Top Top

moog
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:44 am
Sponsor

people dont enjoy it because of drugs, they "enjoy" it because they are in too deep and dont have the balls to admit its fucking stupid

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

First loved fosters home for imaginary friends. It must be said though, what can you expect from a show built around selling overpriced ugly plastic to little girls and boys? It will at it's best flirt with being art but it's financial interests will prevent the risk taking that makes the difference between Foster's home for imaginary friends (which isn't a show based around selling cheap plastic) and The Smurphs. Also egads anime is destroying the american toy industry. I wonder what kind of strange fashion obsessions will result from this generation when they become teen girls chasing beauty.

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:35 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Don't get me wrong I loved my toy cartoons growing up, GI Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I'm not about to pretend that there was any depth to them other than them being purely adventurist escapism. Hey I like to shut my mind off, too. That's why I choose to subject myself to incompetently made cinema.

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 am
Peaceful Greetings

Why does everyone make it hard for people that like this show without being called retarded. Is it not simple for me to say that "I like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because I enjoy it" without everyone turning against me and calling the show retarded without looking at it?

Why is it hard for everybody to not understand why we like it. Nobody has to be in deep to understand why we like this show. The reason why people enjoy this show is because of good writing, good animation, comedy , nostalgia, shoutouts, and relatable characters. This is why people enjoy the show, the very same reason why everyone likes cartoons like animaniacs, spongebob, and looney toons. Many people who have taken a hatred for the show without taking a look at it is because the name "My Little Pony" comes to mind, which fancys a rather bad reputation for being an advertisement ploy only to sell toys at little girls.

Those who had not seen the show think that it's girly garbage and wonder why many people who watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic like it, lending them to hate the fans as well for liking this crap without taking a peek at the show. I hope everyone, including you "Old kentucky shark, understand the reason why people like this show.

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:16 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

I didn't call you retarded, but if it would help you entertain yourself I will.

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Seriously you can bait better than that, right?

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:32 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

I can understand why people like the show, even if I don't. I don't think I understand the obsession to the point of buying merchandise and creating "pony-sonas", but to each their own, I guess.

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Quote:
Bronies believe that by watching this show, they are challenging traditional thoughts about gender-based media. They think that by watching My Little Pony, they are somehow revolutionizing how childrens' products are being made. This is not true.

This, and judging by the toys it's quite obvious that the same gender idealism and expectations are still there. These are barbie ponies: Flawless skin, thin, long hair, small noses (snouts), petite, and clearly feminine. The only difference is the anime art style in the sculpture which truncates the nose to micheal jackson proportions, enlarges the eyes and makes the proportions skinnier than they probably would have been in another style. It's clear that these toys reinforce the ideal feminine physique as petite and skinny, perfect long hair, unblemished skin, soft facial features with striking eyes, and that's hardly revolutionary. It's quite status quo.
/feminism

Top Top

Ellie
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Indeed, if anything the old toys were more unbiased although even they were pink, purple and baby blue.

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:54 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Well I wouldn't go that far, but they did at least look like horses. Anime is just not a sculpture style or really a style that stands up well to three dimensions in general. Three dimensions makes the anatomical anomalies of the style really stand out more than they do on the tele.

Top Top

moog
  Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:20 pm
Sponsor

Old Kentucky Shark wrote:
Seriously you can bait better than that, right?

I read his post and this is the EXACT same thing I thought

Top Top

Friendly Friend
  Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 am
Peaceful Greetings

Um...Old Kentucky Shark, do you like or dislike this show, if you don't like this show then I understand why.
What I said in the above post I made was careless of me and I am sorry Shark and everyone else, Let's forget what I just said, as I created a pointless argument and I should feel ashamed for it.

Edit:
(Ignore this, it's pony related)
I'm bored, so here is a random video since it's releated to this thread
Content Hidden

Top Top

Ellie
  Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Now that it's had time to settle, and people have calmed down over the initial hype, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Still controversial?

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:58 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

It's still a cute/charming but ultimately boring show that's great for kids. And most bronies are still creepy obsessive about it.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:58 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Nah, I still find it terrible, and yeah, bronies are creepy as fuck and actually scare me...

If you want a kids show that's awesome as fuck and suitable for literally anyone of any age... Adventure Time.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next