Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Venetia
  Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

I still don't quite get it but was incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed by the number of overzealous bronies at a recent convention (seriously there were possibly more bronies than cosplayers of anything else, probably combined). also was overwhelmed by their lack of deodorant.

the look of the show is very cute. probably would have liked it when i was a girl. maybe even up until my teen years.

past that though, the humor is too simple without being "strange" enough to hold interest, and it's not good at offering witty deliveries/context. the voices grated on my nerves.

also pretty obvious, but the sense of it always trying to sell something was kind of overwhelming. reminded me of the hasbro-funded shows i watched as a little kid where they were basically screaming, "HEY KIDS HOLY FUCK TELL YOUR PARENTS TO BUY YOU THIS THING OR YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY!!! LOOK IT IS POSEABLE AND COMES IN DIFFERENT COLORS TO MATCH YOUR PERSONALITY HOLY FUCK WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE? WAIT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE HAPPY UNTIL YOU HAVE THEM ALL". I realize the show comes from a concept written around a line of toys, and why it feels that way, and why they do it, but I don't understand why an adult would be excited about seeing it when they can distinguish the "jam-it-down-your-throat" marketing in such an obvious way. (i realize a lot of shows feature small spates of product placement, but whenever they do it in a huge way, it's downright cringe-worthy.)

at the end of the day i think i can UNDERSTAND why some people like it, and can definitely understand why kids would, but it's not for me, and i certainly don't get why adult men are like sexually obsessed with it.

they're horses
that look & talk like children
and they're totally-unrealistic-looking cartoons

so is it repressed desire for bestiality? pedophilia? toonophilia? pedotoonobeastialophilia? :/

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

... actually, if no one minds my getting all psychological up in here, i DO think that the curvy, smooth nature of the art style lends towards the sexuality gleaned from it.

i've seen plenty of behavioral studies which suggest that anything featuring smooth curves or arcs demonstrate femininity, which is perceived as female sexuality in hetero males. even in art class, we were always told that edges and straight lines always implied masculinity and curvaceous forms always implied femininity. (look for those implied lines in marketing sometime -- it is often pretty obvious who marketers are targeting, based on what context + implied lines you see!).

if you look at a pony on the show, edges and straight lines almost don't even exist. their legs don't even have joints. they are unending curvaceous forms. the smallness of them, the bright colors, and the big eyes make them "cute" and child-like, and they don't even have breasts or other human-female features, but the curvaceousness and smoothness DOES imply the female form all over the place. i don't think that was the goal of the artists -- it was probably just what looked the cutest/most modern.

however, interestingly, if you look at a "girl" pony vs. a "boy" pony on the show, on the "boy" ones, you will notice FAR straighter lines and hard edges/corners. It even looks more like they have joints.

anyway it's just kind of my reasoning for WHY a man would become attracted to one of the show's characters. that, and the need to be accepted among his strange internet "clique", after not being able to be accepted by anyone else.

foreveralone + show with gratuitous female form = obsessive sexual fantasies

... so anyway i have spent too long considering bronies and this stupid show so i'm going to go be a normal adult now

Top Top

Jason
  Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Y'know ven, with those line things, you're definitely right... when I was on my night shift last week, I got bored and was doodling random stuff in a notebook, and drew the same head (Features and shit included), on one it was round and stuff, and on the second it was a block chin, y'know, the GADOOSH chins... and they looked so different, and you could tell that too, the one with the straighter lines looked a lot more masculine, even if I drew the same bodies too...

Top Top

bacon
  Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 am
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
it was a good read ven

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 am
venerable inertia
Staff

The straight-vs-curved thing isn't a new idea, either. Even in some ancient languages, "male" was depicted as a straight line or triangle, and "female" was a curved, "S", or ovoid shape.

It has to do with the effects of estrogen and testosterone. Estrogen softens features and makes you fat. Testosterone builds lean muscle and burns fat, forcing more definition.
Though there are men who are curvy, and women who are defined, it's an instinctual association. Same generally goes for associations with thickness and thin-ness.

Being in graphic design opens your world to (sadly) identifying all the little ways corporate entities are trying to get you to buy their product or pay them etc. based on even the simpleness of implied lines.

Sometimes designers don't realize what they're doing because they mindlessly identify it based on instinct and use it. Other designers capitalize on the realization that they're doing it to manipulate their audience/consumers. The latter generally make more money :)

If you ever take a day and just LOOK at corporate packaging, posters, flyers, commercials, or [some] cartoons, and try to identify all the little ways the designer/artist of it tried to "trick" you into paying attention to it, ... It'd ruin your day. Haha. (So maybe don't do it.)

Top Top

Ellie
  Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
The curviness also makes it much easier to animate, as can be seen in all of the MLP hentai games around the net (they're pretty awful and morally plooptsche).

From spending some time on 4chan a lot of these are fully blown zoophiliacs while others seem just to be attracted to the characters.

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
Oh human race. You so silly :(

At least Bravest Warriors has remained untouched.

Top Top

Byron
  Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

united washcloth express wrote:
At least Bravest Warriors has remained untouched.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHAM!

But seriously. I personally don't get the appeal. I'm a 17 yo bisexual, so that fits the average criteria for the viewers of this show. but to me... It's sad to say it's all just a band wagon. I don't mind the show or the views as much as I mind the "Bronies" Y'see there are people who watch the show, enjoy it and actually find it engaging. Then there are "Bronies" People who jumped on a band wagon to say "Oh hey look, I watch MLP." I'm pretty sure they don't really engage with the show, but rather watch it for more social credibility. Although how it gains you credibility I don't know.

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
I'd tap the one on the left, I'm not even joking, even if she's underage, I will WRECK her so bad that no other guy will be able to compete.

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
:unsure:

Top Top

bacon
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
Jason wrote:
I'd tap the one on the left, I'm not even joking, even if she's underage, I will WRECK her so bad that no other guy will be able to compete.

Hey, let's not be vulgar. Please.

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:55 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Let's not be pedos.

Top Top

Byron
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 pm
Was a Potion
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Okay, in regards to that picture, Yeah, Even I find them kinda hot... But they are humans. NOT PONIES. It's okay to find humans dressed as ponies attractive. Just a but weird when people find the actual ponies hot. :I

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:55 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Amy wrote:
Let's not be pedos.

Top Top

Venetia
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 am
venerable inertia
Staff

Jason wrote:

... kayyy ...

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:41 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
:heart: :fap: :heart:

Top Top

TsengTsuzaki
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm

I agree with Jason. I am a brony myself, however, as with any fandom, its not the normal veiwers/consumers that you take notice of. It will always be the crazies that do things for attention and make themselfs look like an ass that you will notice.

Name one popular culture fanbase that does not exhibit these traits and you have found the motherland. XD

SN: Homestuck is a shitstorm of bad fans and bad media that should've been shot and burned to the ground before it laid eggs. Js.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Homestruck's far weirder as the, uh, hentai side of it is largely entirely fecked up.

Weirder than pedobestiality I mean.

Top Top

bacon
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
Oh god homestuck
I remember I used to like home stuck back in the day.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I just sat here confused at what you were all into to be honest.

Devvy's thing with the otter and the (bird?) was much better.

Top Top

bacon
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
well i still think it was good for a while but then it went to shit and the fandom was just too much.
oh well~

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:29 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
What's... what's happened to Dadevster?

Top Top

Venetia
  Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

pipesnogger wrote:
Oh god homestuck
I remember I used to like home stuck back in the day.

I actually really liked it too. It was wacky and silly and cute. Then the artist started doing a bunch of relationship/love crap and obvious moneywhoring (like having 7 characters based on the zodiac with easy-to-sell T-shirts on, so anyone could pick "their" sign and get a t-shirt for it). So then I looked at the community to see how other people were reacting and then basically did the homerslidesintobushes.gif again and never went back :/

Now when I go to conventions I always see these people -- it's always the grey dudes with the zodiac signs -- and they are always either OUTRAGEOUSLY obese girls, or dudes with acne so bad you can see the pockmarks through the grey skin paint. They always seem to be younger than the bronies-in-costume though. And more like the "goth kids", hanging out in corners, instead of being loud and flamboyant and annoying and sitting in the middles of walkways.

... Next convention I do, ... I'm doing a behavioral study.

I'll bet people attach themselves to different "fandoms" based on personality traits.

This is suddenly very interesting

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:41 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
Every convention I've gone to, strangers always want to take pictures of me and I get to feel up half-naked women in costumes freely via hugs. People also follow me around.

Turns out famous black people all look the same.

Or the world is racist.

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:44 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Well of course, it's unusual, they don't normally get My Name is Earl cosplayers.

+2 Upvotes

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Top Top

moog
  Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 am
Sponsor

my room mate is confirmed for brony

he has a pony calendar in the closet

safe to say I do not use this closet because I dont want AIDS

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Thu May 02, 2013 7:46 am
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
How does it feel knowing that the guy you have been sleeping under one roof with and sharing life experiences with has been a brony all along?

I wouldn't know what to do D:

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 am
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Quote:
he has a pony calendar in the closet

This line is pure gold and surely befits a greater purpose than this thread.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next