Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Ellie
  Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Oh. In Britain a TV show is made up of series'. I don't know what we'd use to mean all of the episodes, other than maybe programme. A TV programme made up of series.

Our shows are usually six episodes long, with some longer ones. We don't generally work around seasons like they do in America, which is probably why we don't call them that.

And yeah I'm talking about killing Robert's bastards. He was also just a cunt to one of the whores who was crying because of it I'm beginning to think he's Not a Very Nice Person.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Yeah you're right Bacon this is a bit over the top.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I also think they're overplaying the good versus evil a bit. The whole point is that there are supposed to be all these warring kingdoms and noblemen and lords and that everybody wants everybody else dead, yet the Starks are clearly set up as the good guys against the evil Lannisters. I think it's a mistake how the one never sets a foot wrong while the other is pushed as the ultimate evil in every way possible.

Top Top

Ellie
  Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
OK what the fuck just came out of her vagina

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:22 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Spoilers below, but although I don't give away any major plot points, I do point out some character development that happens probably after where you're currently watching. Click the spoiler button at your own risk.

Early on in the story, it's important for the audience to start caring about someone. So the author/director/producer/whoever has to create sympathetic characters for the audience to identify with and then put them into bad situations perpetrated by the villains.

By the way, they do something very similar for helping the audience to explore a new world. When introduced to a fantastical setting, the audience likes to follow an outsider protagonist. As the protagonist discovers the world, so does the audience. And while the other characters explain the situation to the hero, they also explain the situation to us. The Starks on their way to King's Landing, Jon on the Wall, and Daenerys on her way to wherever are all outsider protagonists in their respective plots.

But back to the clear differentiation between the good family and the evil family, you'll see those lines start to blur as the plot grows more complicated.

Content Hidden

And then you see a lot of characters who we assumed were pure evil become more nuanced.

Content Hidden

Although I can't think of any good characters who completely lose their way, we do see some good characters make mistakes.

And to answer your question, maybe this is one of those things that gets explained more in the books?

Content Hidden

OK, and this is really, really, important. Have you already seen Khal Drogo's funeral scene? Do not click this until after you've seen his funeral. (Sorry to put that spoiler out in the open, but it's important to protect a much bigger spoiler.)

Content Hidden

Or maybe you just wanted to make a WTF exclamation. And yeah. WTF.

And hopefully everything plays out the same way in the TV show as in the books, and I didn't give away anything major.

Top Top

Ellie
  Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
Having not read the books or known much about it, I have to say I was disappointed with Drogo's funeral. I had assumed that everything was being played straight and that any magic was going to be played off as coincidence or charlatanism. It would have been refreshing to have a "low fantasy" series (is that the term?), after Lord of the Rings and everything took High Fantasy to the extremes, it would have been nice to just have something set in medieval times and not necessarily invoking magic and mysticism. That's the direction it seems to be taking though.

I'm about half way through series 2. Unfortunately while I don't know much about the series, I do know who lives, because I keep seeing memes and such from series 7. I also know the big plot points such as the red wedding. Not got there yet though.

I knew Ned Stark's head was going but it was still a shock when it happened. Really well written scene there.

Also it's not on our Netflix or anything so I have to go out and buy the DVDs. It's on Amazon Prime, for a cost, and it works out cheaper buying the disks! (Plus I like material things anyway). This is gonna be costly.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 am

Inept Evil Stooge

Drogo's funeral was in the last chapter of the first book. The whole book by then had been pretty low fantasy. Anything fantastical up to that point was considered out of the ordinary, exaggerated legends, or trickery. And then we slowly see more and more magic being opened up in the world. It's implied that magic and the dragons are somehow related. At one point we meet a street magician who puts on a fantastic show, and people watching remark on how just a few weeks ago his spells were uninteresting. And the alchemists who make wildfire say something about how their spells are suddenly more effective and that they're able to make wildfire much faster now.

By late into the books, you have dire wolves, wargs, dragons, the Others, wights, the Faceless Men, the Red Priests, the Children of the Forest, giants, and the greenseers--all magical or supernatural in their own ways. You meet Coldhands, Melisandre, the Three-Eyed Crow, and other powerful or supernatural beings. You meet undead or resurrected characters. And although maybe the world isn't all that magical to the average Westeros peasant, the reader sees magic and high fantasy enveloping all the major plots.

Personally, I didn't mind the increasing fantasy, but I guess we all have our own preferences.

Top Top

Ellie
  Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
So yeah give me 8,000 soldiers and I'll give you a dragon. *takes dragon using 8,000 soldiers*

Top Top

Ellie
  Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:43 pm
Staff

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm up to the last two episodes of series 3 - the Red Wedding - and gleefully I don't have a clue who dies!

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 am

Inept Evil Stooge

So you know of the event, but not of who dies there? I guess nobody spoiled the important part for you then. You'll have to let us know your guesses and whether you were right and how you feel about the outcome.

I'm reminded now of one of my favorite webcomics. http://www.basicinstructions.net/basic- ... rones.html

I wish he were still making new comics, but at least the old ones are still up, unlike Pictures for Sad Children.

Top Top