Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next
    Makio-Kuta
  Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:25 am
Sponsor

Finished watching Chapter two together today. Happy to say, this project continues to hold my interest. XD Still very interested in seeing more of the story.
I'll probably play chapter 3 tomorrow so I'll be able to comment on the battle system then.
Still some odd grammar moments. *debates replaying chapters 1 and 2 to try to be more specific on that*
Also a couple mapping passability errors. But I always forget them when playing this game, because the story sucks me in. XD

One thing I did notice is that in the song In the Steps of Sacred Land there's like...a windows error sound about 40 seconds in seconds in.

Other than that, keep up the good work! I'll be back tomorrow with my comments on the battle system! n.n

Top Top

Afro Samurai
  Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:54 pm
Cancer Fighter

I just stopped in the ruins (Chapter 3) for now.
First of all congratulations, I'm sure you put a lot of effort on this project. And it is well paid, good work indeed. Before I forget, I got a bit away from the community, so I asked some users what was going on, one of them told me to download Quintessence, and I do not regret it. Every single byte of it.
The story is indeed catchy, I just didn't like one of its bit. The one Vikon is listening to the conversation in Kardian's place. It does in fact remind me of LOTR, where Sammy is listening to the conversation between Frodo and Gandalf, and then enrolls on the journey. Whereas in fact that is one thing you don't see in every game, but I would avoid it, don't get me wrong, it is well thought.There are very small grammar mistakes in some dialogs, if I can say so, but nothing that can make your project going down. I adore the atmosphere on some scenes, mainly the ones near the edge during the night. Truely powerful.
I haven't had the time to play chapter 3 untill the end, so I cannot comment on the battle system yet. But by tomorrow I think I'll have a different view on it.

Good stuff. Keep it up, and I wish this will be in the near future a complete game.

Top Top

CloudCorrupted
  Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Just played your demo and here are my comments

Positive: Good story and very captivating. Maps are in my opinion well done. Characters personalities are widely different but come together well. and last but not least you certainly leave me wanting to see what happens next. I love the interactive environment and harvesting. At first glance I was worried about path finding but the arrows helped out a great deal.

Negative: Very few mapping errors one thing I did notice was in one of the houses the bible on the desk (in the basement I believe) the desk is overlapping it. Also you should change it so the butterflies are passable insted of being on the same layer as the player I had a rough time getting through some of the woods. Just a note not a complaint near the end the woods are very dark and hard to get through maybe you can have the hero carry a lantern or torch of some sort. In my opinion that would also help in the realism of the game. Most people don't travel blind in the woods in the middle of the night. If you wish to keep the sneak aspect of the scene just have him put it out near the cut scene.

Keep up the good work my rating so far would be a 6.5 only because of the few map event issues and how hard it is to find your way around in the dark.

Top Top

showman
  Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:48 am

I can't imagine this! Another amazing game!
What's up with this forum guys? It seems like all the best of the best is here and this game is no exeption.
If I want to play a great game they are all here on the first page of this forum. And a few a few pages down!
If all you guys *You (Reives)Volrath, real estate barrel?, The Man, Artbane, Chain's of fate, bla bla* got together and did a project you would all be rich.
OK. This game reminded me of watching a movie. That's a good thing. You really know how to tell a story and deliver your characters. What else can I really say? This games shines in almost every category. Sure, a couple errors but the games still in development. I can't wait to see this game to the end.
Thank you for a little of enjoyment.

Top Top

Ratty524
  Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:46 am

Original music, Not-too-bad looking facemaker graphics, great screenshots that make me drool at their sight. I can smell the sexiness of this game already, when I get my speakers back I'll download.

^-- This stupid post edit shall forever remain in my books.

Top Top

Reives
  Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:50 am
Sponsor

@Erichermit
Sure, hope you enjoy it. I do have MSN, it's Kg_Reivier@Hotmail.com (What're the chances? Most of my usernames are Reivier/Reives-inflicted; and no, I named it after the character and not named the character after me; just so I can have a somewhat universal net-name. :p)

@Makio-Kuta
Hahah, I totally missed that MSN popping sound in that soundfile. I'll have to re-record it sometimes. :D Thanks for the heads up. And I uploaded a sample video for the battle system by the way, that might help with the learning curve as it's apparently pretty annoy to learn it.

@Afro Samurai
Heheh, someone pointed that LotR resemblance part pointed out too about 2 years ago back when it was still just a story. I do feel somewhat bitter about the resemblance, but I guess it's still a little different in the aspect that instead of joining the 'journey', Vikon takes over it completely and steers Reiv away from the said travel. I might do something about this in the future, probably as final tweaks before completion (probably a long time from now though).

Glad you enjoyed it though, and I'm rather flattered that someone mentioned the project.

@CloudCorrupted
Ah, that's a good idea with the lantern. Several people have noted that the night-play during the first chapter was too dark, and I lightened it up a bit for this release; but I guess that's still too much, heheh.

Oh by the way, all the butterflies are passable; the ones that you couldn't pass through are chicks (if you press action key on them, they'll squeal/whatever-that-chick-sound-is-called). And I don't think I'll fix that, since it'll be like stepping on them.

@showman
Thanks, glad you liked it! This forum does have a lot of amazing projects going, many of which inspired me much. Back when I was a lurker, I always looked up to those that you mentioned as what I wanted to be one day, heheh. I'm getting closer to that, I hope.

@Ratty524
Sure, thanks for yer' time then. Your project is coming together with noticable improvements when I checked it out a while ago, by the way. I'll comment on it in the near future.

Top Top

Ratty524
  Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 am

Um, thanks! :D

Top Top

CloudCorrupted
  Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:05 pm

Oh my apologies, Yea I wouldn't make the chicks passable lol. But the darkness is probably no big deal for most people I just have a hard time focusing I suppose. But anyways great game thus far I cannot wait to see the new release.

Top Top

Reives
  Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:04 am
Sponsor

Heheh, okay, thanks Cloud.

----------------------------------------------

Mm'kay, while fixing some stuff up, I've also somewhat started the 4th chapter, pending title 'Envy'. Just semi-finished composing a short simple little BGM, 'Matter of Time'. It's in the attachment if anyone wanna check it out and give a feedback.

I'm going to try to make a few more original BGMs every chapter just to have a fresh feel.

(Unfortunately, this is for Quintessence only due to the promised 100% original music thingy :(, sorry.)

Top Top

ArtBane
  Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 pm
Sponsor

Even though I am not the one assigned to review this game, I decided to play through it anyway. And I am glad I did. This game has a very unique feel to it right from the title screen. Speaking of the title screen, I was hoping since it was a map that there would be a seamless transition from selecting a new game to a scene on the map like in God of War II. That would of been real cool.

Quintessence is a very visually pleasing game with a lot of nice panoramas filling up most of the map backgrounds. The use of filters also added a unique look to your maps. Not much else to say in this department except that you really got a handle on the look for your game.

The story was a tad slow and got a lot more interesting once you went into Alden's history. I am usually not a big fan of faces made in the face maker program as they often look very generic, but the way you used it for different facial expressions actually added a lot of personality to your dialog. I also liked the way you blew up faces occasionally when you were focusing on one of the characters. That was a very unique story device.

The score for this game is real beautiful. I am amazed that it is all custom made. I think the music can get a little melodramatic at times though. But it is probably the best custom score I have heard in a RMXP game.

The battle system was very simple although I am sure it wasn't simple to make. It was easy to outsmart bad guys by laying traps or hiding behind objects and taking them out with arrows. Still it was fun which is important. It wasn't like a lot of games where the encounters felt like a hindrance. The battle opening scene had a nice catchy tune too that is still stuck in my head.

The one puzzle you had was real cool. I'll admit it did take me a little while to figure out. I wish there were maybe some secret treasures to find though by going a specific way. As it was there seemed to be only one right course to take despite the several different paths you could take. Still it was real good for your first puzzle of the game.

I will definitely be staying posted for the next episode.

Top Top

Reives
  Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:00 am
Sponsor

I'm very glad that you took the time to play it, Artbane. :)

Wow, the title-screen seamless transition thing is actually an awesome idea; I think I'm going to do that.

I'm rather surprised that you felt the story picked up from Alden's story, as I thought that it was the opposite. I guess it's as Calibre said, just that making that part was rather dull, heheh. I'm glad that you liked the face thing though, as I was getting a little unsure after some suggestions about it. And very happy that you enjoyed the scores. Kinda funny how everyone seems to find the battle theme okay, James (its composer) thought it was a failure. :D

I'll keep that puzzle treasure advice well in mind; I will try to add some itemizations in the future (and add some algorithms for the damage in battle instead of a constant). In the next chapter, I think I'll have some kind of a puzzle in-battle; where you have to fight at the same time as solving a puzzle. That's my favorite part about a custom system, very flexible. :) I'll be sure to try to make boss fights more interesting.

Again, thanks again for the feedback! I'll keep in mind everything you suggested.

Top Top

battlestar_caprica
  Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:10 am

i absolutely love the first three chapters! keep them coming, i was just curious who paints your title screens and panoramas? Because they look stunning!

Top Top

Reives
  Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:24 am
Sponsor

Thanks. They are from an old graphic CD of dubious origin actually; I'm still trying to track the sources down. :(

Top Top

battlestar_caprica
  Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Also had a general question about your interior lighting, since i've been trying to create a similar effect. Is it simply a 'Tint Screen' to make it look dark and then adding a 'Fog' with lights made in photoshop?
Because every time i try this, my lights are dull and don't reveal the original colour of the tileset but the original colour of the tint...
Thanks in advance.

Top Top

Reives
  Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:45 pm
Sponsor

I think the difference is instead of adding a 'fog' with lights, instead I make the fog to be of shadows mainly (and a little tint of glowy yellow for areas of light). Check out Calibre and Fooflex's cosmetic fog tutorials; it's pretty much the same method. :)

Top Top

battlestar_caprica
  Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:38 pm

that makes perfect sense to me now, thanks a million. And good luck with your project, i loved the demo. :-)

Top Top

Ratty524
  Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:13 am

I'm on the fist chapter. This game has funny gems that made me laugh, and sad scenes that touch my heart. :( Good work.

Top Top

Reives
  Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:32 am
Sponsor

Thanks. :)

~~~

In other news, I'm starting to get some work done on Chapter 4, now. At the moment, my expectations of it is rather high; to be better than the first 3 in most aspect (and so far, it's going as intended).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/ ... er4JPG.jpg[/IMG]

The chapter has a primary focus on Lunair. It, like chapter 3, will be story oriented with game-play. I am aiming for a better quality game-play experience than chapter 3. For example, you will be required to solve a puzzle during the on-map (first) boss fight; which will require much more than just spamming shoot arrow.

I am also utilizing more and more picture special effects, inspired by an intro demo I saw a while ago and Rye's new intro for MV. New original BGMs are also being composed to add some refreshing touch, I finished writing 2 so far.

And while Kardian, Vikon and Salory are no longer with the main cast at this moment, they will still be featured through short cut-scenes to their part of progress at times.

This will take some time though, I'm just starting. :) But expect improvements from the past!

Edit: Oh and I just attached Chapter 4's theme song in-progression to this post. It's like 20 seconds long so far, I just started writing it; but the general feel should be there.

Last edited by Reives on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Speedpaws
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:42 am
Sponsor

i just got to the third chapter and I have to say, holy freakin crap, i love it. It's amazing. I already love the story and we aren't even that far into it XD I haven't gotten to the true gameplay yet, but I'll comment on that once I get to use the battle system and stuff. Keep up the good work =D

[URL=http://www.hbgames/forums/showthread.php?t=3355]

Top Top

Makio-Kuta
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 am
Sponsor

[QUOTE=Reives;233056]And while Kardian, Vikon and Salory are no longer with the main cast at this moment, they will still be featured through short cut-scenes to their part of progress at times. [/QUOTE]
Awww how sad, my three favourite characters so far. n.n' Anyway, the title of the next chapter and the song snipit certainly make it sound like it's going to be interesting. I really got to get around to playing chapter 3. @>@

Top Top

Reives
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 am
Sponsor

@Speedpaws
Heheh, thanks! The game-play component needs some renovations at the moment though, I think. Hope ya get through it anyhow; if things go wrong you can always cheat with the ReadMe.doc.

@Makio-Kuta
Don't worry, even though they are not physically with the main cast, their roles are more important now, and there should be enough spotlight on them for the branched story for now in the next few chapters.

...Speaking of which! Typing that sentence actually gave me an idea, literally! With emphasize on literally. :D[/FONT]

~~~

I've made a considerable amount of beginning chunks for Chapter 4 today. I have so much planned for it to be implemented; new effects, game-play, better story-telling, ahhhh I just wish I can work faster. :(

Oh and by the way, just a heads up, Quintessence's story isn't exactly the happiest story around; as it will slowly begin to show from now on. Chapter 4 does have a little depressing component to its story, but it's minor, and I will try to do it artistically.

By the way, there's a bug for the battle system in v. 1.02, where if you end a fight with Lunair, you need to swap active members at the beginning of the next fight (can swap back, just need to change active member once), or the skills get messed up.

P.S. Quintessence TBV Chapter 1-3 v.1.02 now has a RRRB review! :)
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23691

Last edited by Reives on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

kizor
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Just played to Chapter 3.

The graphics and music were very good.

The story was really interesting although the pacing was quite slow. I spent most of chapter 2 wishing I could just have one fight to try it out.

When I got to fight I wished I was just watching :( I hated the fights. I had 4 battles and gave up.

I'll have to keep coming back to this topic and hopefully someone can do a little story synopsis. There is no way I can play through the battles, don't like them and can't do them. :(

Most people seemed to like the battles though and they were original which was cool.

Top Top

Reives
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:18 pm
Sponsor

Aw, sorry about that Kizor. :(

This is kinda hard to do; some says the battles are too easy, some says too hard, and all in all Chap 3s battles were actually just a warm-up to the battle system. :|

I think one of the first things I need to do is to make an in-game tutorial about it, as I think the main problem in terms of difficulty is the learning and getting used to.

Also, I think for Chap 1-4 package in the near future, I will make the Chap 3 fights much easier so the players can get used to it, and have more difficult and better mechanics for the battles in Chap 4 as intended.

By the way, Kiz, have you watched the sample battle video? It might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinX3wA4f1w

All in all, just attack by shooting arrows, and sprinting to get away, and switch to Lunair to heal when needed. Oh and always put trap down.

Edit: If anyone else is really having trouble with the battles, PM me; I'll send you a savefile to skip battles.

Last edited by Reives on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

kizor
  Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:52 pm

Well after my moaning Reives kindly sent me a save file, avoiding the battles, many thanks.

Just finished it and wow is all I can say. It's really amazing and I was moved by the story, in some ways it reminds me of Suikoden 2, just because it's 2D but so well written that you can really sympathise with the characters. The music helps also.

The battle system may grow on me, I hope it does anyway as I'm really loving the story. Of the 4 battles I fought I only beat 1 and it seemed like luck.

I think it's a combination of...

-so many enemies on the screen moving really fast
-quite a few enemies per fight, 4/5 snakes at once
-high skill cost which didn't recharge out of battle (I think it didn't anyway)
-this is personal but I mainly use my controller which works fine for most games but it seems to have mapped the buttons really badly for this game, not sure why.

Anyway, enough complaining, it was ace. Plus you have to go with the majority vote and if most people found the battle system easy/enjoyable then go for it, just make sure you have a "special save" for the "special people" :)

Top Top

Reives
  Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 am
Sponsor

Glad you liked it. :) There's been a lot of notes about the battle system, so I'll definitely try to do something about that. Sorry again for the inconvinience, heheh.

I just started composing another BGM for a scene, and I actually really like its mood so far. I haven't decided a title yet, and nor is it finished, but I wanna share it for now. Its theme is along the lines of 'departure', bitter sweet with a tint of sadness to it.

http://www.savefile.com/files/846604

A bit over a minute long at the moment.

Top Top

Mustardy85
  Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:04 am
Non-Scripter Friendly

Nice game... but my computer does not seem to be able to read the file format. I downloaded the demo atleast four times now and it just always says "unexpected file format" and it does'nt open up... so i was just wondering if you could solve this problem.

I really wanna play your game dude... looks really good. I might quit my solo project because of it.

yea so again please help me out here...

Thanks in advance

Top Top

Reives
  Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:09 am
Sponsor

Oh, you need WINRAR to unzip it, it's a pretty common zipping program found here: http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10690736.html?tag=lst-0-1

But why might you quit your solo project because of it? :o And this is pretty much a solo project in terms of actual making; the other two team members are fellow BGM composers (awesome ones at that, though).

Top Top

Makio-Kuta
  Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:50 am
Sponsor

I finally got a chance to give the battle system a swing. I was having fun and doing okay at first. (Reivier's arrows kick butt) but then....he got killed and I couldn't do much anything as Lunair against sorpions. They drained her MP to heal faster than she could damage them. @.@
Other than that, I thought the battle system was fun. (though I wonder if there should be a way to limit the arrows. They totally kick butt--but maybe too much. It can hit enemies through rocks and walls, and appears to have a kick back affect. Lining up snakes as the come towards you and spamming W seemed a bit on the cheap side.)

Although I didn't get to finish the first 'dungeon' I did get into one of the caves. I don't know what everyone's problem was, the area of light I had seemed good enough for me. But I guess that's preference.

Anyway, I hope to take another stab at chapter 3 soon and this time...watch HP a bit more closely. lol

Top Top

Reives
  Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 am
Sponsor

Heheh, glad you were okay with the battle system for the most part. That's a good point you got there, about not being able to do much when Reiv goes down. I think I'm going to buff Lunair's venom gust attack's damage output, as well as make her 'melee' attack another useful offensive skill instead.

And don't worry about the arrows being too powerful at the moment; after all the enemies are just bugs so far. :D There will be a boss fight in Chapter 4, and it'll be much more than shoot, run, shoot, run. :)

Good luck with it next time. :) I think the most difficult part is getting used to the keys at first. And thanks for playing!

~~~

I'm starting to make some new maps for Chap 4 now, which would include another town and a bunch of other stuff. :| But here's a mountain way I just finished:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/ ... s_SS-1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reives on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Speedpaws
  Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:15 pm
Sponsor

Nice map =) I just got through battles and stuff, and I have to say, it's very interesting the way you did the battle system. Not sure if I like it yet or dislike it, but I'll let you know once I play more XD

[URL=http://www.hbgames/forums/showthread.php?t=3355]

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next