Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Sagitar
  Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:17 am

Welcome to the project thread for Prophecy : The Demon Kingdom! Thanks for taking the time to read about my new game ;)

I've been unraveling Prophecy's story for years now in my head, and so while this is my first RPG Maker project, the game itself is sound in terms of plot and planning. Any feedback (including criticism) anyone can give is much appreciated; I can only hope everyone enjoys playing the game as much as I enjoy working on it every day. Roughly four hours of gameplay - the complete "Chapter One" - was successfully released on December 28, 2008, over at RPGMakerVX.net.

[Plot]

The story, roughly set in medieval times in the mythical kingdom of Rhylore, opens with a young peasant named Juno Crescent doing what he does best: getting into trouble with his roguish friend Motley. Together they live in a quiet backwater farming town called Stonemill, located in an obscure corner of the realm and separated from the bustling mainland by the great Rhylorean seas.

Stonemill is run by an oppressive tyrant, who has pushed and taxed the peasants of the small village to the point of rebellion. Juno's older brother Jack is the leader of the Black Roses, a small but formidable group of freedom fighters to which most of Stonemill's youth belong. The plot opens just as the tension begins to boil, erupting into a bloody struggle between the Black Roses and Lord Daradrik's corrupt soldiers.

Juno is soon forced to leave his home and venture out into the wild Rhylorean landscape. He and a growing number of companions discover lurking evil as well as ancient beauty in the enchanted world around them. When they stumble across dark secrets and corruption hidden deep within the noble workings of the realm, Juno's journey becomes one of moral questioning and self-discovery, of friendship and fortitude. And what begins as a simple quest transforms into an epic war between heavenly forces, with the very fate of the kingdom at stake.

[Characters]

A humble nineteen-year-old peasant from the backwater hamlet of Stonemill, Juno's soft eyes and messy brown hair do little to set him apart from the average farmer. Along with his brother Jack and best friend Motley, he has spent his entire life sweating and straining in the village crop fields under the unforgiving Rhylorean sun. However, once fate and prophecy rip him from his mundane life and hurl him into a timeless adventure, Juno's bold, heroic nature begins to shine through.

Juno's older brother Jack has always offered a shining example of friendship, loyalty, and fortitude for the younger Crescent to look up to. His crimson hair is a genetic tribute to their deceased mother, and his dark eyes burn with the fiery passion of a born warrior. Jack founded the hardy Black Rose resistance to protect his fellow peasants from the crushing taxes and tyranny of Lord Daradrik, and when tension begins to escalate, he bravely takes his place on the front lines defending the innocent.

Along with her brother Motley, Bri lost both her parents at a young age, and was raised as a beloved daughter in the Crescent family. Although holding a meager eighteen years under her belt, she performs nearly all of the matronly duties at the Crescent Homestead. She maintains a faithful and friendly attitude despite the enormous amount of responsibility piled atop her slender shoulders; her soft blond hair, sparkling eyes, and lively smile do a great deal to make life in Stonemill livable.

Bri's brother and Juno's mischievous best friend, Motley provides the oppressed population of Stonemill with a bit of much-needed lightheartedness. His spiky green hair and broad smile contrast greatly with the majority of his fellow villagers, and he stubbornly remains a source of jokes and playful banter throughout the most dire of situations. Unknown to Juno and Bri, Motley is a respected member of the Black Rose resistance, and opposes Lord Daradrik's tyranny with all his heart.

Klotho is a friendly minstrel from the Rhylorean mainland who seems to harbor more wisdom than he regularly lets on. Known simply as "Bard" in many places throughout the realm, he maintains an eloquent dialect and a mysterious aura that suggests an almost ethereal nature, and his one pale blue eye appears to gaze beyond the boundaries of normal sight. Despite all his enigmatic quirks, however, the Bard remains a fountain of companionable support and pleasantry.

[Screenshots]

An engaging storyline, full of dark fantasy and lore.

Colorful and mystical settings provide a visually appealing backdrop for the plot.

A sideview battle system implementing tons of powerful skills.

Several subplots and side-quests offer depth to NPCs and party members.

Special tactical battles require careful strategy and coordination.

A detailed Quest Log keeps track of storyline objectives.

"Mixology" is just one of the many unique event systems utilized.

Collectible maps depict the world of Rhylore from a bird's eye view.

Multiple towns play home to lifelike bustle and distinctive personalities.

[Download]

Released on June 20, 2009, this final version of "Chapter One" contains over four hours of solid gameplay, in addition to a 30-minute teaser demo of the upcoming second chapter :
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4a18ka

(RTP data is NOT included)

[Features]

- Over four hours of immersive gameplay in Chapter One, including action-packed battles, gripping cutscenes, realistic character development, and engaging side-quests.
- Two interwoven battle systems that offer both fast-paced thrills and thoughtful strategizing.
- Several customized event systems (such as the original "Mixology" feature) that allow for various in-game activities.
- Tons of scripts from the good people in the community such as Kylock's Light Effects, KGC's Overdrive and Skill Slots, modern algebra's Quest Journal, DerVVulfman's Battlebacks, woratana's Multiple Fogs, and many, many more.
- Alternate cutscenes and dialogue based on players' choices.
- A high-quality soundtrack (though not custom) from esteemed composer MaestroRage.

[Credits]

All credits are contained within the game itself (in traditional fashion), as well as in a plain text file in the download folder. PM me if you find any sort of crediting problem and I will happily resolve it for you. Believe me, the last thing I want if for anyone's hard work to go uncredited!

[Support]

Show your support for this project by displaying my userbar in your signature! There are also six (polished) character-themed userbars in the Credits section of the official site, if you're interested. Any help spreading the word around is appreciated :D

Expand to see the code.

Please let me know what you think!! I hope you enjoy the game!!

Last edited by Sagitar on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top Top

Daxis
  Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:12 pm
The arrow lives frugally.

I'm downloading it right now.

Plot seems interesting, although I feel like your summary of the plot seemed nothing particularly special. The main character's backstory, hero from the country or secluded village, felt a bit used.

The mapping is great. It's pretty good from what I've seen.
Wow, a tactical battle game. Cool.

All in all, the game so far seems pretty okay. Especial with the four hours in chapter 1.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

berserk515
  Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 am

This game is awesome. I really like the art style to the game. Also did you draw the characters face graphics? I really like it.

Top Top

Mundane
  Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 am
Kind of back...

Can you upload this to something else. What you got isn't working for me. I don't know why.

Top Top

SolstICE
  Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 am
halp

berserk515 wrote:
This game is awesome. I really like the art style to the game. Also did you draw the characters face graphics? I really like it.

think those are the rugura japanese faces. search nd you can find the site. unless I spelt her name wrong

looks like a fun game. why two different types of battles?

Top Top

Sniper
  Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 am

There's a lot of Greek/Roman mythos references in the name, though the naming of the main character seems odd to me, I've never heard of a guy called Juno and Juno is a goddess in the mythos (Roman counterpart to Hera), it just strikes me as odd.

Top Top

Memorise
  Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 am

Hello.
I loved the game i've been playing it for 4 hours and 40 minutes.
Problem is I don't know what to do at the harbour place.

Quest: Port Explorations
Description
There is much to be done in the bustling port town of Gull Bay.
Objectives
- Talk to the shipmaster of the docked vessel. (Done)
-Collect Three Tickets for seafare. ( Not done but I have 2 tickets)
- Earn a polo from the friendly fisherman ( Not done thats the problem I don't know what to do. I've talked to everyone there i've been a cat and talked to him and also I've made some things with the hand caution. I don't know what to do!)
- Help the innkeeper by exploring the continent's southern beach.(Done)
Feed the famished gate guard (Done)

So please help by posting to me or writing a guide. If you have a website with help please tell me. I like your game but I'm not going to play it or show my friends if i don't know what to do. I am also a game designer.

Also how do I have my RMVX editor RGSS Encrypted Archive?
I have a game completed but I am not posting it if I don't block it from people stealing my game. If it's locked then I can keep my game secret.

Please help with each one,
UltiHaker

Top Top

Amos36
  Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 pm
Ginger Ninja Extrodinaire!

Looks real good! I haven't played it but when I get a chance I'll download it! If only I could make games like this, lawl! :grin:

Like the mapping and dual-battle system thing.

Amos36

The Forum's Ginger Ninja

Top Top

Mr_Smith
  Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:59 pm
There is no IRL, only AFK.

I'm now downloading, it seems good for you as I nearly always skip the plot and characters and go straight to the screens :grin: After that it looked so nice I had to read the other stuff.

Edit: It is a very nice game, good mapped. Here are some bugs though,
in the first cutscene, both times the black screen fades in, the fireplace stays visible, so you can see that spot of light on it. On the final fight on the dream, the torches light is still there if the black screen fades in. Looks like you have some trouble with the light effects! But appart from that, its cool. Im now at the point that
Spoiler!

#1 - Whenever you're thinking of ANYTHING throughout the day, post it on the forums
#2 - Even if you have nothing to say, post in PWOYM anyway, even a simple emote counts!
#3 - "accidentally" double/triple/quadruple post
#4 - Break your posts up into more than one at a time
#5 - Make pointless threads, such as this one
#6 - Start or encourage arguments as often as possible
#7 - Welcome all new members, even if you don't want to
#8 - Bump threads by asking questions that you don't want to know the answer to
#9 - Necropost in really old threads to get the activity going again
#10 - Troll EVERYONE

To quote Venetia: "note: following numbers 8-10 will result in your meteoric post count rise ending"

Top Top

Diedrupo
  Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm
Sponsor

hm well it looks all right i suppose. i'll DL it when i get home.

Top Top

Sozerius
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:11 pm

I liked it, its well made in my opinion.

I only found two issues-

1. The mapping. While it was good in some areas, it wasnt good in others.
I found it to be odd when there was grass lining the sides on land or mountian, and sparesly elsewhere.
I also thought it was strange that you had houses without any doors or anything on them, and I know some people do this, but it just doesn't strike my fancy.
I would say that the mapping is good/ok overall though and it does not detract too much from the game.

2. After the second tactical battle the game crashes.
Don't know why, but once I have beaten the soldiers it just closes all-together, I tried this twice. =/

All-in-all, I think it is a wonderful game, and I can't wait to see the finished product!
^_^

Top Top

tofurkey
  Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:41 am
Super-Awesome, One Hour at a Time
Sponsor

Seems interesting enough from what I've seen. I downloaded it, will be giving a solid playing-through soon. Expect a wall of text either later tonight or tomorrow.

Top Top

tofurkey
  Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:57 pm
Super-Awesome, One Hour at a Time
Sponsor

Alright, I've played through the first couple of hours in the game and am now stuck, but I think I've gathered enough to make a substantial post here:

Firstly, the place that I am stuck
Content Hidden

Here's my thoughts on an aspect-to-aspect breakdown (Wall of Text):
Content Hidden

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:14 pm

This game is great and deserves more attention. It's got the best mapping of any VX game, in my opinion, and mixology and the two battle system ideas are brilliant.

Top Top

Amos36
  Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Sagitar, I enjoyed it. It's certainly better than any crap I can come out with. I don't have long but I've got a few points to make:

1. The mapping and eventing is good plus the sideview battle system is fun to use.
2. The tactical battle system is good, but not the way ur using it. Juno only has one skill when I hit the first TB. None of the skills you are using translates well onto the TBS. Also there is no tactical element and I got really bored there.
3. The characters are a bit stereotypical, but I was interested in the plot, particularly the bard - Klotho or whatever. The intro raised a question and didn't answer it that left me thinking. It'll be interesting to see who's side he's on and whether he'll overshadow the main villain if he's evil.
4. Mixology seems to be good, but is only a minor part of the gameplay, and there's not enough Empty Bottles.
5. Some of the mapping doesn't look right. Like houses without doors,cabinets that look wrong etc...
6. The guard puzzle is good! But they can look straight at you and do nothing!!??
7. My favourite bit was actually the enchanted forest! Very well done. I've now incorporated this puzzle into my own game. Job well done I think!

Overall - it needs work but is certainly the best project I've seen here yet. (bar my project currently in development.) :biggrin:

Amos36

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:57 am

Quote:
2. The tactical battle system is good, but not the way ur using it. Juno only has one skill when I hit the first TB. None of the skills you are using translates well onto the TBS. Also there is no tactical element and I got really bored there.
3. The characters are a bit stereotypical, but I was interested in the plot, particularly the bard - Klotho or whatever. The intro raised a question and didn't answer it that left me thinking. It'll be interesting to see who's side he's on and whether he'll overshadow the main villain if he's evil.

You're joking, right?

Top Top

Amos36
  Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Xephyr wrote:
Quote:

You're joking, right?

No Xephyr. It's probably the best game for VX on the site but I'm only saying what I found. I did find the tactical battles very boring and non-tactical even though I love TBS and my game will use the system as it's main battle system! The side-view merged with the TBS was good as a concept, but it didn't translate well for me. Too many enemies and computer controlled AI's for my liking. I loved Klotho and his mysteriousness but although the other characters are good, and they stay in character they may need a little depth, maybe. It's only suggestions!

Oh! And also the ice field next to the village was strange.

But I did enjoy it and it's given me a lot to think on as regards to my own project! The levels were my fav bit cos' the enchanted forest.

Anyways, this is just my oppinion.

The Forum's Ginger Ninja

Top Top

:: TaG ::
  Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 am

UltiHaker wrote:
Hello.
Problem is I don't know what to do at the harbour place.

Quest: Port Explorations
Description
There is much to be done in the bustling port town of Gull Bay.
Objectives
-Collect Three Tickets for seafare. ( Not done but I have 2 tickets)
- Earn a polo from the friendly fisherman ( Not done thats the problem I don't know what to do. I've talked to everyone there i've been a cat and talked to him and also I've made some things with the hand caution. I don't know what to do!)

So please help by posting to me or writing a guide. If you have a website with help please tell me. I like your game but I'm not going to play it or show my friends if i don't know what to do. I am also a game designer.

To get the Pole from the fisherman:
Content Hidden

Great game, truly fantastic.

I especially love how the battle system changes between Side-Battle System and the Tactical Battle System. Job well done!

Top Top

astrin24
  Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:22 pm

I think this game rocks. I'm impressed by the design of the locations in particular because everything is so structured and it just feels like a natural - and classic - RPG. I've only been playing for over an hour though. You see, I don't know how to get into the window of the tavern in Cansis...I've tried pressing the action button near the windows but still nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Top Top

Amos36
  Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:44 am

Astrin, you need to go round the right side of the tavern.

Yeah, maybe my review was a little harsh. Was only tryin' 2 give criticism.

It really is the best VX game I've seen on the forum! Way to go!

Klotho is one cool minstrel... :shades:

The Forum's Ginger Ninja

Top Top

Avgen
  Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

This game really is one of my favorites after aveyond 2. But im stuck at the part when i must find a disguise at the castle, and 2 guards come in. Ive "action buttoned" even the guards. And i have no pots left to fight them.

Top Top

Sagitar
  Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am

First of all, I'd like to beg for forgiveness from everyone who's looked at and posted on this thread... I put my project up here and at first, it didn't get very much attention at all... So I sort of forgot/ignored the fact that it was here :ouch:

Second, thank you to everyone for your feedback, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to let me know their thoughts on Prophecy. I worked and continue to work extremely hard on the project, so it's great to get some response in terms of what could be improved and where I'm on the right track.

Also, Prophecy has a newly-opened official website! Check it out:
http://www.ProphecyDemonKingdom.net

I've added a link to the top post as well. Be sure to let me know what you think!! The official forum is a great way to get help if you're stuck or just discuss the project in general.

Again, thank you, all of you. And with that, I'll launch into my loooooong response to each individual poster...
Content Hidden

Top Top

friend
  Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 am
mmoooo

This game looks good gameplay wise, and the tactical battle system looks nice, I might download later.

(Critic time)
The name of the game is Prophecy, too plain and common, it can cause a nice little confusion [omit] and chickens will run out. [/omit] And the subtitle is also clichy ( Legend, of, and the are used in like plenty of games, but the latter 2 might not be avoidable though)

Your plot umm, sorry but err....

The hero is a young boy from a village and he is prophesized.
^
NAW
YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG ( jk )

I'm fine with that if you put a twist. ( make the prophecy false or something like that)

So erm, looks good. Mapping is above average.

EDIT: I have decided...

Do these for COOKIES

Top Top