Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Perihelion
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:27 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Kuahewa huki 'ino wrote:
Well, when I first saw this thread, I thought "how pretentious," but you ain't being pretentious at all--you're being pretty helpful, so sure, why not?

Haha, yeah, I deliberately picked an incendiary title to get people in here. "Title Screen Fundamentals" just doesn't have the same impact, y'know?

Quote:
Hit me, dearie, just... not too hard.

All right, sweetheart, I'll try. :3

The first thing I wanna say about this is that you really shouldn't use concept art for your title screen. This style would be fine if the entire game looked like this, but that's uncommon enough that I'm gonna assume you're not doing that. While using art in title screens is fine for most RM games, it has to look like the other art in the game--panoramas, battle backgrounds, etc. Also, you actually almost never see the main characters of games take a big role in the title screens of professional games, presumably because you're gonna meet them soon enough anyway, although I like that you have them facing away from the camera. I recommend sticking with landscapes or objects for the most part, and if you want to use art, you probably want to shop around for a while to find something that's in the style you need.

The title shouldn't be that small, by the way. You want it big and on the top, preferably but not necessarily centered. Writing it on instead of using a font fits with the style of the art, at least, but again, I recommend you not use the art.

Your windowskin is also a little garish; it draws attention to itself instead of the text. I'd pick something more understated. By the way, if you want to get rid of that selection box, ccoa made a script that lets you use three images (one for new game highlighted, one for continue, and one for shutdown) around here somewhere. It's probably floating around here somewhere. There are probably other title screen scripts, too.

Top Top

Ynlraey
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 am
Wutz Effert?

Ok I'll fix it after I understand what it means, my english is really...not that good. While I disagree that I should change the Morpheus Font, considering it's the only decent font for the specific genre I'm aiming for, I'm not going to change it to something unreadable or not fitting for the game's theme, (I am looking at you HADRIAN) I just hope the overuse-ness of it won't affect the perspective for the game :D

I didn't use any photograph but I did use a brush and seriously just lowered the opacity for it and I'll remove the wisp thingy (even tho I like it) if it's that disturbing and makes the image unbalanced.

I am debating in my head about the size of the options, one thing is that, making them too small might make the mouse select it a lil bit...harder. As much as possible I want to make it easy to point and click

As for the second one, yes I can see why you don't like it :)

Top Top

Perihelion
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
I really think you should change the font--I'm sure if you looked around enough, you could find something--but it's up to you. And, yeah, I absolutely don't encourage something unreadable or inappropriate. I would actually suggest something less ornate than that. It's a little gaudy, imo.

I know you didn't use a photo, by the way, but I still think the pic needs more oomph. The wispy thing doesn't make it unbalanced, but it doesn't match the other more attractive parts of the logo, so I say dump it.

One thing you could do about the options is make them smaller but space them out and have them be selected when the mouse is in the general vicinity. They really shouldn't be the same size as the game title. You could stand to make the game title bigger, but not enormously so, so I think the options should shrink.

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:50 am
HUGE JERK

Points noted. I really should be better with the title positioning and size; at the time, a signature-style thing seemed like a good idea. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

I guess people don't care much for the windowskin. Interestingly enough, if I'm given the option personally, I make my windowskins colored like this in every game I play because I am, obviously, a huge jerk--this is FF7's fault and was only reinforced by Star Ocean 2. Maybe in the final product (hah! Someday), I'll toss in a few more demure, alternate skins and detail how to change it quick and dirty-like.

Perihelion wrote:
While using art in title screens is fine for most RM games, it has to look like the other art in the game--panoramas, battle backgrounds, etc.

Wise words, but in this case: no, actually. Since animation is far more trouble than it's worth, stills drawn and colored like the one used in the title, except with dialogue overlaid, are what I'm using in place of DRAMATIC FMVS and not so uncommon so I wonder if, that being the case, this is actually appropriate.

Sure, the bulk of the game is RTP, but it's not like drawings such as that never appear in the game... and yes, it saves a bit of time scripting movements and clever pauses and whatev' at the exchange of scratching these out.

I'll definitely look into the more streamlined look of not having a windowskin on the title screen. If I move the title, I'll definitely have some convenient empty space in the corner. Thanks, good sir.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:18 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Quote:
Wise words, but in this case: no, actually. Since animation is far more trouble than it's worth, stills drawn and colored like the one used in the title, except with dialogue overlaid, are what I'm using in place of DRAMATIC FMVS and not so uncommon so I wonder if, that being the case, this is actually appropriate.

That'll clash, but it's better to have a game that's done than a game with beautiful, consistent graphics. In that case, I suppose it wouldn't be horrendously inappropriate if you want to go that route, but I think you would benefit from revisiting the art. Like, the characters should be receded more, and you should unify the palette more. If it's sunrise or sunset, everything beyond the immediate vicinity of the sun is going to be purple/blue/gray, and everything around the sun is gonna be purple/red/gold. Including the grass, water, etc. I'd say you're also gonna wanna get some hard critique on it and make it the best you can, since it's for the title. Head over to Visual Art Analysis, maybe.

I can see you doing something along the lines of Secret of Mana. This was the first thing that popped into my head:

Now, this was 10 minutes in Paint, and obviously you can do a lot better--the design as it is now needs a lot of work, the font was the first thing I randomly selected that didn't make my eyes bleed, etc. The colors around the sunset/sunrise aren't very good, but I was too lazy to fix them. You get the idea, anyway.

Top Top

Selwyn
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:54 pm

What about mine?

Last edited by Selwyn on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Flickayy
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:27 pm
Coding ninja~
Sponsor

Can u evaluate this one please. (please note i did not make it :sad: )

Unity3D developer, and #1GAM participant.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
I will, uh, critique those later. /me indicates signature.

Maybe mawk can help you!

Top Top

mawk
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm

MAYBE I CAN

Selwyn, that's simple and very functional, but it's also a little dull. the main colours (white for the title, dull blue for the background) don't have a lot of contrast between them, so while it's easy to identify the title, nothing really pops out at the viewer. the design behind it is also pretty tough to make out. while I really admire the minimalistic style, I'd maybe darken the background colour a little bit so that the white stands out against it a little more.

then again, I am colourblind, so I'm not the end-all be-all of assessing colours and how they go together.

LegacyX, you're on your own far as I'm concerned because I can't stand Hanzo Kimura and his terribly facile title screens. it's not as if it'd accomplish much anyway, since it's not yours and Hanzo tends to ignore outside crit

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

Selwyn
  Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for your critic Mawk!
It does look a bit dull indeed, and I've had a few ideas for a possible background but nothing came out good so I'll leave the background like that for the while.
And it's actually a bit hard to make out the details because it's been resized down for the critisism. I found that a resized down screenshot of any game should ideally have the same effect of its fullsize counterpart.
If the smaller version works alright, then the bigger and more detailed version should logically look better (not always the case though).

Here's the full version:

Top Top

Petros
  Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:48 am
Sponsor

This is actually a really good topic Peri, I see this all the time where people use overly extravagant title screens, I fell victim to that once and I think I still do to be honest although I'm considering an overhaul of my title screen anyway. I have two questions, first, where did you get that pretty damn cool RTP tileset, I really like it, you rarely see good modern style RTP sets.

Anyway that was off-topic but here's my current title screen, on the opinions I've gotten from people, some love it, others are indifferent to it. Maybe it's just me looking at that screen for so long has made me grow to dislike it but here it is:

Opinions, Peri, Mawk?

PS: Selwyn, are you still making that game? I thought I was the only one stubborn enough to be sticking to a single project for this long lol!

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Venetia
  Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Nice topic!

I disagree somewhat on one part, and that's the thing about making your title screen match the graphics of your game. I see nothing wrong with a neat looking title screen that uses vectors or painted semi-realism or whatever. The player would be foolish to make an assumption of the game's graphics based off it.

You used SNES examples, or games that try to fit a retro "vibe", and the problem there is that the SNES was only capable of 256 colors, and that's it. They HAD to stick to pixel art or their titles would look ridiculous. Makers nowadays offer 16.7million colors and there's no reason to religiously adhere to the accepted norms of 10-15 years ago.

I agree that if you're going for retro, go all out. But if not then it's not a big deal. The legibility of the text, paired with the use of negative and positive space (and/or spacing elements), with a minor focus on motion, flow, and color control---that's what's most important. Congruence with in-game graphics' style is, in my opinion, a kitschy afterthought, and not very weighty on the end product.

That said, I don't really ever like seeing painted character concepts in a title. A title should be an abstract of the overall point of your game, not an illustration of who you're gonna be running around as. Also, it draws away attention from the title text, which is the most important part!!! But that's more a point of concept than method.

But photos... Good god avoid photos at all costs always.

Top Top

Stardust
  Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:08 pm
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

I'm not quite as good as Peri in design, but I can give people my input.

@Selwyn - I like the simplicity of it a lot, but it feels the title should stand out more. In my opinion, the design in the top bar and the fact that it's lighter than the lower section draws my attention to the "New Game", not the title. I think it would be better if you made the design in the top bar lighter to match the lighter background (which would cut down on the contrast that draws one's eyes to it) and also made the title a little bigger (which could also help cut down on some of the empty space).

@LegacyX - I think it looks pretty decent because the title is definitely the center of attention. The only critique I could give would be the relevance of the circles and symbols.

@Petros - It's nice, but I think the glow from the right is too strong. It keeps pulling my attention to the right side. In my opinion, it would look better if you cut down on the glow a little and centered it more so it highlights the title instead of that area to the right.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Oh, hey, I forgot about this thread! Sorry, guys. >_>

@Ven: You raise an excellent point, and now that you mention it, I can in fact think of a number of modern ports of old games that break that rule. I guess the big point I was trying to make was that retro-styled things should look retro, and otherwise you shouldn't have anything GLARINGLY out of place. So I think using 3D models in 2D game title screens is pretty weird unless you have 3D cutscenes or something, and photos are of course really ugly, but aside from that I've probably been belaboring the point overly much. It doesn't have to be a perfect match, just not...hugely out of place. I'll revisit that point! Thanks for the input, though. :3 I was hoping you'd give me your PROFESSIONAL OPINION on the subject...........

@LegacyX: The concept itself isn't bad, and I think it works. Logo's too elaborate and Photoshop-y for my tastes, and oh god Japanese text in American titles gives me aneurysms (seriously, why??????), but aside from that, it works.

@Selwyn: I like that, actually. Clean and functional. I'd add more contrast, though. The stuff behind the text is a little hard to see, and the background could stand to be darker.

@Petros: Background's a bit distracting, imo. Add more white around the logo so the top is mostly white and also put some blue in the logo itself. Aside from that, yeah, this is a lot better than I remember your old title screen being.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:38 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
I updated the point about graphical consistency to make it less YOU MUST MAKE IT CONSISTENT OR YOU ARE A BAD PERSON. I also added a point about Japanese text. Oh god, how did I forget that in the first place?!

Top Top

mawk
  Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:34 pm

of course you need subtitles in a language unrelated to anything else in your game, especially if you're not developing the game in that language and don't even speak it to begin with.

incidentally, my game's title has been extended to Mountain: Shan Fei dà dei calci ad alcuni sciocchi con il suo compagno meccanico Robotman

ImageImageImage

Top Top

Eriol Clowphengire
  Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:55 pm
Hard Rock saves the Space

The game itself takes place in two worlds, the in-game MMO entitled Seeds of Orion and the alternate Earth. However, it seems the background is busier than the title...

The story is basically gamers playing the said fictional MMO, and the AI moderating the game gained sentience.

Top Top

Stardust
  Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:14 pm
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Yeah, the background is definitely a problem. You could try making the hexagons in the background darker. Because they're brighter than the title, they stand out more against the dark background.

Also, I have a title screen for a two-week project I'm working on.
I originally liked the yellow windowskin, but I'm starting to think I might go for a silver color instead. The background is the Parallax I'm using throughout most of the game and that shrine thing has importance later on in the story.

Top Top

Petros
  Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:34 pm
Sponsor

About the Japanese text Peri, do you think its okay in my one being that it is a fangame and that is how the logos are set up even across the seas? Out of curiosity that is.

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

mawk
  Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:44 pm

the titles have Japanese text in their Japanese releases, but from what I've seen, not in their other localizations. since your fangame is English, it'd make more sense to treat it as an English localization.

ImageImageImage

Top Top

Eriol Clowphengire
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:52 am
Hard Rock saves the Space

Oh wait, speaking of putting up foreign characters in titles... apparently, one of my future games will take place in fictional Korea and Japan... so is it okay to add them, in respect to the setting of my game(s)?

Top Top

mawk
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:39 am

as a general rule of thumb, unless you are developing the game in a foreign language, foreign languages should not feature prominently in the title.

ImageImageImage

Top Top

Perihelion
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Petros wrote:
About the Japanese text Peri, do you think its okay in my one being that it is a fangame and that is how the logos are set up even across the seas? Out of curiosity that is.

No.

Eriol Clowphengire wrote:
Oh wait, speaking of putting up foreign characters in titles... apparently, one of my future games will take place in fictional Korea and Japan... so is it okay to add them, in respect to the setting of my game(s)?

No.

mawk wrote:
as a general rule of thumb, unless you are developing the game in a foreign language, foreign languages should not feature prominently in the title.

Yes.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:48 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
That said, it's okay to have a little text in foreign languages smattered about the game--for example, signs in your language of choice--but it shouldn't be in the logo, and it shouldn't be in any actual dialogue or anything. It just...doesn't belong there.

That said, there's definitely a double standard. Languages that aren't Asian are much more acceptable because they don't scream weeaboo. If you did, like, German or Arabic or something, it would be less bad, although still weird.

Top Top

mawk
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:04 am

it's still advisable to have a specific reason for the languages to be there, and it had better be a good one; it's not enough to say "well it's set in an analogue of Japan or based on Japanese aesthetics." the Xenosaga games had German subtitles because the subtitles themselves were excerpts from Nietzsche's writings and the game in general had an incredible boner for the man's philosophies, albeit applied in literal physical form. anything less than that and you're just reaching for an excuse.

doi, I'm still talking about title screens. took me until now to notice Peri was addressing ingame stuff.

ImageImageImage

Last edited by mawk on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Rappu
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:26 am

Perihelion wrote:
That said, there's definitely a double standard. Languages that aren't Asian are much more acceptable because they don't scream weeaboo. If you did, like, German or Arabic or something, it would be less bad, although still weird.

So true and this is so annoying. Gratuituous German or heck, gratuituous English is just as annyoing as dialogue littered with baka and kawaii. :P Then again, using words from different languages as names and suchlike is imho a-okay regardless of the game's culture; there foreign words are basically shout-outs to people who understand the language. It also saves the time of having to think up good-looking and -sounding letter scrambles for names if you don't want to use boring stuff like Big Elven Forest. :P

Top Top

Calibre
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:22 pm
What are you supposed to write here because I don't know.
Sponsor

Petros, It's better to me in just plain white, reminiscent of the front covers to FF games (EU covers at least anyway). Will look better with the classic pointing cursor etc. I did say this at the time :P

ImageImage

Top Top

Calibre
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 pm
What are you supposed to write here because I don't know.
Sponsor

Perhaps with little glowing orbs scrolling slowly upwards, recent FF games love little blue ethereal orbs. (or something of this nature).

ImageImage

Top Top

Petros
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 pm
Sponsor

You did say that at the time lol. I think I'm going to change my logo and title screen, but I'll need to re-install photoshop before I do that. Wanna lend a hand again by chance?

www.finalfantasyzero.com

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
None of the Final Fantasy games I own has Japanese text anywhere near the case. (VII to XII)

I think it definately looks better just plain white. After all, what most Final Fantasy games do is have a plain titlescreen like above, and then fade it into a lengthy introduction FMV with snazzy effects. That could easily be the map in your original version, etc. I dunno.

About the folks saying "german is just as bad as Japanese", I don't think anyone is honestly suggesting otherwise. The point is not that it's Japanese. The point is that it is not English (or, more specifically, it is not the language of release).

Calling your game Last Legend: Das Fuhrer Ist Int Mein Undervarren is completely stupid unless it is either a german game, or has been translated into german.

Foreign languages are used on professional title screens not just for the sake of it but because it is needed for folks of another lanuage to be able to play it.

Now if you were releasing your game in Japan or in Japanese then go ahead, use Japanese text.

Top Top