Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Luthur
  Sat May 15, 2010 10:57 am
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

Hate to say it, but is it dieing? Over the past few weeks or so, theres been less and less activity from anyone (except Wyatt who's been working his arse off) and this past week hardly anything's happened at all. It seems to be the same people posting all the time, and the two main game making contests that are running at the moment (TriWeekly and Pixel Contest) haven't had anything happening in them really for ages. So whats the problem? I'd hate to see HBGames going the way of so many other game making forums.

Last edited by Luthur on Sun May 16, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat May 15, 2010 2:52 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I've been noticing the same thing, actually. I wish I knew if it was dying in the way of game activity totally, but I haven't really seen much either. :/

Top Top

Luthur
  Sat May 15, 2010 4:19 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

True, and I suppose game making help is what this site is mainly about. But I haven't seen much happpening anywhere, which is why I posted.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat May 15, 2010 4:36 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I know I am saying this as an administrator, and my opinion is biased, but we are far from dying. In fact we are doing better than we have in a long, long time in both posting and user activity.

User participation in contests is one such vast improvement. Only one person entered a game contest in 2008; these days we get at least 3. :p People have never been interested in contests here unless they involve cash (a costly mistake -).

Top Top

Amy
  Sat May 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Also, sorry for being egotistic, but please don't include or exclude me from any "statistics". "The site is active apart from wyatt" --> so the site is active; am I not a part of the site? (Even if such a line is wrong anyway, no offence; a lot goes on behind the scenes here and even the staff are sometimes guilty of not seeing the great effort the mods put in).

Top Top

mawk
  Sat May 15, 2010 5:04 pm

I was wondering when this month's "is the site dying" topic was going to show up

we just wouldn't be an rm forum without it, y'know?

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

friend
  Sat May 15, 2010 5:31 pm
mmoooo

Blame the Rec Room.

Top Top

silver wind
  Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 pm
Chompil

the Rec Room will outlive us all :p no need to worry.
I too wish there was more activity in the 'serious' boards. Low participation in contests is nothing new, people are just stressed by them. Activities done for fun/ to learn new things usually attract more activity. You know, like the pixel academy we used to have here.

Top Top

regi
  Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

Like Arb said, summer's coming. The forum always has its ups and downs, but once vacation kicks in and people finish up with exams, activity will definitely rise again. Rec Room has lowered serious activity, but on the plus side it's connected us forum members more, which is nice enough. Anyway, we've already got some oldies returning.

Just wait and see.

Top Top

Luthur
  Sat May 15, 2010 6:59 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

@como: Yeah, sry, that was a bit of an ignorant comment, I only meant that you're the only one I see constantly updating and contributing, I guess if I thought about it I should realise more was going on.
@mawk: Couldn't find a recent one... I just felt that recently in particular nothing was happening - obviously I was wrong :S
@King of Hearts & silver wind: Suppose I should have checked there as well before I posted this... But I agree with silver wind, as the site seems to have so many people coming for support, somthing like the academies would be good to have back. I seem to recall there was an attempt to do something like that a while ago

EDIT: And I will be waiting and seeing hopefully

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Sat May 15, 2010 8:06 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

People have been saying this for years. Hell, in 2005 everybody seemed to think RMXP.net was gone for good, and then in the mess that happened in 2007 people started to think it again.

The fact is that HBGames is the most stable it's ever been. We're not going anywhere anytime soon. We may have shifted our focus a little, and whether this is good or bad is up to you. The state of the forums is whatever you want it to be, frankly. You can easily argue we're dying or we're doing better than ever. I like to think that the relationship between staff and members right now is better than it's ever been. I do wish we could boost some activity in the game development side of things, and I do try with things like the Triweekly Challenge and PCP, but those can only be as successful as the effort you guys put in!

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Sat May 15, 2010 8:07 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

Actually, the whole "HBGames is dying" schtick hasn't been brought up in a while. We had broken so many records ;-;

And also,
fox5 wrote:
(TriWeekly and Pixel Contest) haven't had anything happening in them really for ages.
what exactly makes you think nothing's been happening with the triweekly challenge? People are busy making their games, I'm assuming. Most of the development related to it happens offsite.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat May 15, 2010 8:59 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
We haven't had a "This Week" in while. Maybe that's why it looks like nothings happening.

Top Top

Star
  Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.
Sponsor

I actually never posted really often, but only decided to come in when I thought the site's activity was down. I mean, I can't let my baby go down. :box: Well it's not my baby, it's our baby. Hbgamesbaby.org. Forums always lose and gain activity, but big forums like this with the url easily access and not attached to something like invisionfree or zetaboards is always gonna live. :thumb:

Top Top

Ace of Spades
  Sun May 16, 2010 4:59 am

Party Mascot
It's true. I've been lurking in the forums for years, this place will always have a strong community. I have to admit though, this topic encouraged me to make an effort to become more active. And I'm certain I'm not the only one who frequents the site and doesn't post much. It's a great place for resources, learning and advice. And I'm really partial to checking out other people's projects, it's nice to see what people are capable of putting out there.

Top Top

Luthur
  Sun May 16, 2010 9:05 am
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

What I mean about the Triweekly Challenge is that in the last one, everyone had posted at least something to do with what they were making by now, myself included. This time theres nothing. And like you said yourself in the topic Dadevster, it'd be nice to know who's actually entering, then everyone can see something's happening.
@coyotecraft: Yeah, that's a good point, it'd be good to have them back too.

I guess I didn't really thing about the size of the forums. All I saw when I posted was that in the 'serious' game making boards not much had happened, and feared that things were going down hill. I'm glad I was wrong :).

Top Top

Jason
  Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
... The spelling error in the thread title annoys me...

Anyways, I wouldn't say we're dying, it just seems like we're all getting bored of using RM* or any game making software, so we all chill out in the Rec Room, I mean it's always active, there's new posts all the time, it's just people are migrating from the RM boards over to The other hand, or so it looks that way in my opinion anyways...

Just wait till summer when all the kiddies get off school and want to make some epic naruto fantasy action game, and we'll be spammed again! D:

Top Top

Luthur
  Sun May 16, 2010 1:39 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

lol. And what can I say, I can't spell :S Fixed

Top Top

9robin3
  Sun May 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Sometimes I wonder where everybody left too...

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

action
  Sun May 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I think it's also that few people are making new threads, but rather posting in older ones.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon May 31, 2010 4:25 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
May 2010               8014 (so far -- 4 days to go, potentially 1000+ posts)
Apr 2010 5757
Mar 2010 5794 (about)
Feb 2010 5794 (about)

(Total posts made)

I don't have stats before Feb but these show that, for this year at least, we're getting our arses in gear. :)

Top Top

Cryranos
  Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 pm
i broke it again
Sponsor

Even if the rest of the forum dies, the Rec Room will survive, so in theory we could just change the name to recroom.org!

But yeah it's not dying.

Top Top

Atoa
  Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 am
Victor Sant

It's really funny, when the area where some people post most is with low activity, they assume that this reflects all forum.

Sometimes some areas will have less activity than others, but that means nothing.

Top Top

blo0p
  Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:43 pm
formerly known as "rep"
Sponsor

This has happened so many times over the years. The only time this place has come even remotely close to dying is when half of the members refused to switch from .net-.org and the forums where split in half.

Someone always seems to think the forum is going to die because whatever made them want to join is not there anymore (whether it be another member, or resources etc).

Anyways I came back :) I am one of those old members who returned

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Quote:
This has happened so many times over the years. The only time this place has come even remotely close to dying is when half of the members refused to switch from .net-.org and the forums where split in half.

<-- Guilty of the bandwagon

Top Top

Cryranos
  Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 pm
i broke it again
Sponsor

Quote:
We haven't had a "This Week" in while. Maybe that's why it looks like nothings happening.

We do need a new TWODO.

Top Top

Luthur
  Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

As I said, I completely agree. Maybe a small team could be set up to overgo the process, so the task doesn't fall to the mods and admins only. I know the last few were organised by normal members, and they have been of excellent quality.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
For a while now they've been open to anybody to make who wants to, maybe we didn't advertise that point enough.

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next