Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Dachimotsu
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:15 am
Author of Domus Facina

The general cliche is that defeating the superboss of an RPG will net you one or more of the following:

1. A new playable character.
2. An item, such as the main hero's ultimate weapon.
3. A "Silly/Wacky" cutscene.
4. Nothing.
5. Something else that's equally useless.

Defeating a game's superboss usually gives you something that is either completely useless, or something that will make the hardest boss in the game, which you just beat, easier. Utter failure.

I want to break this... "tradition". I've always thought that a better reward for beating the superboss would be something like, I dunno, an unlockable art gallery. Of course, that's just me. Many others may find it just as useless as those listed above.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Then you'll appreciate Domus Facina, a webcomic that brings the villains of the entire Final Fantasy series together. From popular favorites like Kefka and Sephiroth, to more obscure characters like Xande and General Hein, and even characters you've probably never heard of, like Julius and the Dark King.
With over 150 readers thus far, this epic saga's popularity is growing! Become a part of it!

Top Top

moxie
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 am
singin potatoes

I absolutely love unlockables like that, and if I liked the game enough and had to defeat the superboss to do it, I definitely would. Cutscenes wouldn't be too bad of a reward either. Then again, I'm probably in the minority.

To me, the most idiotic rewards are the gameplay-related ones, like ultimate weapons/super abilities/etc. It's like, "Good job, you defeated the only thing that you would ever use that reward on! Whoo!"

Top Top

Star
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:23 am
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.
Sponsor

Maybe defeating the Superboss will unlock more story for the character to view, like a continuation of events instead of the ending.

How about putting a superboss at a certain location of the story, sorta like maybe a turning point. When the story throws you in a battle that you can't win, a battle you're supposed to lose in order for the story to continue on. Lets say SuperBoss A wants to destroy town A but your party has to stop him but utterly fails thus town A is destroyed and then the party grieves the town and later avenges the town by killing SuperBoss A later in the game. But lets say you can defeat him only by grinding really bad or being really good at it. Then SuperBoss A gets defeated before town A is destroyed, thus story events that follow change. Plus maybe a higher reward of bonus scenes and better items and equipment for sale at town A

I really hate battles you're not supposed to win, games should at least give you a chance to win but just make it really hard, not impossible like infinite HP or no damage no matter what level or attack.

Or maybe give you alternate costumes when you play a second time

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:29 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Kill superboss recieve epilogue, that's always a cool thing.

Or make there a superboss for each character, and when it's killed, recieve characetr specific prologue/epilogue

I like things that give more story to a game, since I love me a great storyline and character depth.

Actually, I think I'd be in the minority with moe, haha.

Top Top

regi
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Plot extras and character development are good rewards, as long as the storyline itself is enticing enough.

Generally, ultimate weapons or skills are pretty useless, but used correctly they can be nice. Maybe you get a new item or skill that cancels or lowers the rate of random encounters? A skill or weapon that deals damage in the element the final boss is weakest against? Or perhaps they net you extra gold, enemy drops, whatever to complete those last Crafting or Cooking quests.

I'm not sure about introducing a whole new character; unless there's a sequel, there's not much room for character development or playing (unless it's an upgraded version of a character, or a superbadass villain you've faced all game, that would make up for it).

I'd definitely stay away from 3-5, though. No reward or a bad reward is a no-no for such a difficult, consuming task.

(Just curious: are you looking for ideas for your own game, or just discussing? If the latter, it would be more suitable for Game Dev Discussion.)

Top Top

Dachimotsu
  Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:27 am
Author of Domus Facina

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've decided to go with BOTH a cutscene that further develops the story, and an art gallery. I think that'll suffice, right?

Then you'll appreciate Domus Facina, a webcomic that brings the villains of the entire Final Fantasy series together. From popular favorites like Kefka and Sephiroth, to more obscure characters like Xande and General Hein, and even characters you've probably never heard of, like Julius and the Dark King.
With over 150 readers thus far, this epic saga's popularity is growing! Become a part of it!

Top Top