Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

onzephyr
  Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 am
Awesome Bro

Drunken Wizard. Play it!
Stop reading this go play it!

The Concept: Warren is drunk. The tavern just closed. And he really should stay away from home tonight. Why stay away from home? Because Warren may have done something. Something pretty awful to his Girlfriend. Sorceresses tend to hold grudges. He really should stay away from home.
What will it play like: Top down shooter. Think Smash TV. With alcohol and fireballs!
What will it look like:Squiggly blocks of color that look like I drew it while drunk.

SCREEN SHOTS UPDATED 3/28/2012

Updates (3/28/2012)

VIDEO SPOILS EVERYTHING DON'T WATCH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.
Complete play through of the game. Posting this video after the competition has ended. to allow those who didn't make it to the end , or just don't feel like playing the game to check it out, and see the full game as entered into the competition. Again it shows every thing, you have been warned.

Interested in the details? No Problem download the .CAPX of the final version. But warned is will spoil the fun. I'm happy to answer any questions about the CAPX, I know it's a mess
If you wish to open my .CAPX you will need these two free plugins/Behaviors by RexRainbow
[Behavior] 8directionMP, platformMP
and
[Behavior] Zigzag

Last edited by onzephyr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:30 am
Awesome Bro

Haha awesome! I love the sound of this. I'll be following this thread to see how it all goes!

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

onzephyr
  Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 am
Awesome Bro

Concept demo is up. Along with some screenshots. Check'em out.

@valkyriegames. Thanks! now to live up to that elevator pitch of a concept. Or if I fall far short. least try to learn from it. :smile:

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 am
Awesome Bro

Haha it looks great! Keep the updates coming!

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

Scandalon
  Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Nice start!

Feedback - Only one projectile (fireball) out at a time. Is that intentional? Similarly, you have to click for each fire, I think this feels like it needs auto-fire.

Top Top

rosareven
  Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:57 am
House Vidae
Sponsor

lol @ the end of the demo. I love it!

Top Top

onzephyr
  Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:46 pm
Awesome Bro

@ Scandalon. Thanks for the feedback. Auto-fire is in the game and in the demo. The issue was I had it a bit slower then I wanted. That's all fixed now. Super fast and plentiful fireballs for everyone!

@Rosereven. Well played :biggrin:

Updated the post with a time lapse yesterdays work. well some of it. Added some offhand weapons. Main hand is your booze off-hand is a wand or staff, How else would a drunk wizard roll?
Content Hidden

Top Top

So fist
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:00 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Hey these graphics are really great. It would be great if we could get some nice movement animation on the wizard and some kill animations for your enemies. I can't wait to see what comes of the wizard's debauched journey. Maybe at the end you can reward the player with a tasteful argument with him and his disgruntled witch of a wife.

Top Top

onzephyr
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am
Awesome Bro

@ so fist. Thanks for the feedback. The wizard does have movement and idle animations now. I'm working on the kill animations in the next few days so both of those will be in the next demo. And if all goes well the "Tasteful argument " will be a decent boss fight . Least that's the plan. I wanted to have a second demo up as of now. but my weekend , well I lost time due to some pet issues. I'll just have to work double hard this week to make up for it!

Top Top

onzephyr
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 am
Awesome Bro

Updated post, Now with 216.33% more Demo.

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 am

Good one!

Top Top

01lifeleft
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am
Maya researching...

Found 2 hidden rooms :D. It's much much better than the first demo. Great game!

Top Top

Venetia
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Oh dear, all the bbcode in your OP appears to be messed up ... :x

Otherwise, wow! I am so in love with the art here, you have no idea.

It needs music obviously.

Stylistically, it would be awesome if the wizard's eyes or head always tracked where the mouse was, especially since it only faces one direction or flips. Another major stylistic improvement (IMO) would be to have the mouse cursor change to an aiming reticle/crosshair while it's in the game window. But that's obv more style and less important.

Can't get over how cute it is that the standing-still animation is him drinking. Ha ha, so cute.

Otherwise, I'd say the gameplay is rather solid. Your rooms feature a mix of difficulty that doesn't seem too easy, nor too unforgiving. That's always hard to pull off.

Top Top

onzephyr
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm
Awesome Bro

@Venetia
Oops,thanks you're right I had it all messed up. Should be fixed. If it's still messed up I'll try again. Great idea on the Eyes moving. I'll try to get that in. I should also be able to change the Cursor or place some kind of indicator. I had a limited distance marker in the first demo. but took it out as I got feedback. but I do agree I need something I've just failed to find the right answer yet. On the music front I'm struggling, but I'll keep at it!

My hope for the room progression is to teach game play and increment the skills. showing the player what's possible leading them to the next discovery. If I have one goal it's to get that right. Your feedback is very encouraging thanks again Venetia

@01lifeleft Which two? Were you recruited by the star league to defend the Frontier from Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada?

@joannesalfa Thank friend :smile:

Top Top

Banzai5150
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 pm

I had to register just to let you know that you've made the game awesome by giving me my WASD options!

p.s. you have a broken bold code hanging in your OP.

Edit: Found one room - It's dangerous Taco alone. :heart:

Found another - No Mercy!

Last edited by Banzai5150 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

onzephyr
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 pm
Awesome Bro

@Banzai5150 Thank you fixed the OP code again , I'm horrible at BBcode it seems.

Yes the Game has WASD+mouse. Arrow keys+mouse and "AZERTY" ZQSD+mouse controls for anyone who missed it it's a toggle switch on the main menu.

I'll also be putting the controls in the pause menu, i've just not done it yet.

Top Top

Banzai5150
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 pm

onzephyr wrote:
@Banzai5150 Thank you fixed the OP code again , I'm horrible at BBcode it seems.

Yes the Game has WASD+mouse. Arrow keys+mouse and "AZERTY" ZQSD+mouse controls for anyone who missed it it's a toggle switch on the main menu.

I'll also be putting the controls in the pause menu, i've just not done it yet.

Was the Taco room the Ultra Secret Room? I only found it, and the guy dead on the floor one. Searched around a bit and couldn't find any others. Also, get with me, I found a few bugs for you in your layout.

Top Top

onzephyr
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm
Awesome Bro

@Banzai5150 The Zelda room "taco room" is a common secret, same for the Karate Kid room " guy dead on the floor"
The ultra secret room is a send up of The last Starfighter. Tiny hint " you can see me making some of the sprites in my timelapse vid"
And it's rather obtuse to find. If nobody figures it out soon . I'll make it less ridiculous to find, and post a third Demo with fixes and updates.
Also feel free to post any bugs. Calling them out will just reinforce the fact I need to fix them before the contest ends.
I am aware of at least one bug. On occasion the doors will open before a final wave spawn. This is less a bug and more of me being lazy when I test. So I decrease the "lockout time" so I can sneak into other rooms. Mind this is a decent way to find secrets as well, they would suffer from the same delay. If you found another bug please let me know.

Top Top

Banzai5150
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 pm

There are a few spots in the Walls, where the 'invisible border' I'm assuming you're using is off by a few pixels so you can be moving left, flush with the bottom of a room wall, and then get stopped and can't go left any more, unless you move up one or two pixels then you can continue on.

As for the Last Star Fighter room? Man, I'm pushed/shot at every wall, I'll see if I can find it again.

edit: Also, your fire bolts will travel through one room into another and make a noise when they hit a destructible object.

And lastly, I ran through all the rooms and pushed/shot at all the blocks and never found the super secret area. I used the Eye ball staff to track down where I THINK it is, but I couldn't figure out how to get in. I did try using the broken bottle shield staff to break through some stuff but that didn't work for me either.

Top Top

Tuna
  Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:29 pm
Probably cooler than you.
Awesome Bro

Just played your demo and I enjoyed it thoroughly! It felt like a crazy version of Gauntlet. The player and enemies seem to have a good balance for the most part. My only suggestion would be to add some sort of music, because it was the only thing that I felt was really lacking from the game. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the finished project!

Top Top

Ugotsta
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:07 am

Nice, I just played the demo as well and can only say, it could just use some music or background sound. The game itself reminds me of so many fun games I've played in the past. I really love the mouse-based aim, I'm really big on using controls other than just keyboard.

Support these contest entries! [Submit yours to add!]

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:23 pm
Awesome Bro

That was pretty fun... Good Job :thumb:

Top Top

01lifeleft
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 pm
Maya researching...

Man, i moving around from room to room but still can't find out the last starfighter room. :(
Waiting for your third demo (maybe the final product?)

Top Top

Bob Thulfram
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Definitely cool and Zelda like. The number of monsters at times are overwhelming and seem unfair, but maybe there's a trick or place to hide. Very nice art.

How did you make the demo movie?

Top Top

So fist
  Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:45 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Lol at the last starfighter reference. Man I thought me and my mother were the only two people to have seen that film.

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm
Awesome Bro

OMG this game is awesome. The music you found actually works really well! It reminds me of BioShock! And what happened in the end??
Content Hidden

This game has my vote! :D

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Last edited by valkyriegames on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

Tuna
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 pm
Probably cooler than you.
Awesome Bro

^ Use a spoiler tag, please!

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 pm
Awesome Bro

Sorry Tuna! I've added it now! It's the first time I've used a spoiler tag to actually hide a spoiler... I didn't even think of it =_= (Most of the time I just use it to hide images and large amounts of text). I will remember now though!

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

Kaludan
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 am
Ven's Grandpa

Excellent controls. Excellent music.
My favorite of the bunch.

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:30 am

This game is definetly very well done, i loved that how is inspired from Zelda game, i have no doubt this game, it seems a mixed between Robotron and Zelda. Maybe you can win some cool prizes heh!

I would like to leave a feedback, there a wizard is playing animation like he is drinking when you do a key is down which you can generate a lot of fireball but this animation is still drinking while shooting fireball, it's odd.

Anyways, good luck with that game!

Top Top