HBGames || seperate menu for a seperate site

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

modding *chan irc utilities downloads filehost pastebin[Big|Medium|Small] -
GameLlamas
Side Menu

Getting About
Friends

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
Elijah von Bose
  Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:15 pm
Bitmap Font Rendering Script
Version 1.0
By Paradox, with an immense amount of debugging help from Trickster.
Quick Glimpse at the Default Font in-action

The Purpose of This Script:
This script was created to enhance your displays. You can easily make your own, amazing fonts using this.
The bonus of this script, is that you can easily create amazing, per-pixel full-colour fonts!
But, how can I use it?:
This is more or less a development tool for scripters. It allows for nicer windows, and such.
Expand to see the code.

Setup:
All you need is at least one font, and one is included with the script. It is Verdana, put into an image. Of course, you can make much fancier ones, but I'm no artist.
Making a font is easy, too: you just create an image, with enough equal spaces for 26 characters (wide) and 3 rows. The example font shows you, as each character has a bounding box of 15x21.
Script:
Version 1.0

[/spoiler]
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I change the default font?
You can change it by finding this line in the script:
Expand to see the code.

and changing 'Verdana' to your font's filename.
Future features:
Possibly, more characters and whatnot?
Credit goes to Paradox
And possibly, Trickster as a small mention, if he wills it.

Last edited by Elijah von Bose on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Selwyn
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 am
That's a really nice script you have there.

I think I've found a use for it, but I might change a few lines. Do you mind?

Top Top

Jstreet
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:00 am
Alias: Panda
Sponsor

Hmm a script for better visual quality, with a screenshot in poor quality jpg. Irony lawl.

Top Top

Taylor
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:03 am
Would it be possible to make this override the default text drawing, so all text uses the bitmap unless another bitmap is used?

Top Top

KAIRE
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:18 am
so pictures in full color can be use to replace the text? demo would be great. maybe a better screenshot example?

Top Top

rpgmaker
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:21 am
Can I steal your script too? ^_^

http://www.iomegatrix.com/Pictures/banner.png[/IMG]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/ ... _image.gif[/IMG]
http://jbpatout.free.fr/psp%20owner%20glitch.gif[/IMG]

Top Top

Trickster
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:02 am
Actually he isn't lying I did help him with this script ^_^

But yeah a another replacement for the time-consuming draw_text method

Be Back with a code analysis (Hehe, And don't think that if you get help from me that you are safe from me )

Top Top

Elijah von Bose
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:53 am
Lol! Well, you know. I would've used PNG, but this computer has dial-up, so I tried for most file-squeezing :P
@JerbyTaylor: Uhm... just no (you could, though). It's not the same, and you probably wouldn't like the results. Maybe in a later version.
@KAIRE: Yes pictures in full-color can replace the text. That's what makes it sick.

Thanks for comments! I will be improving the script, as it was written at around 2am-6am :P

Top Top

KAIRE
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 am
that's cool, can you upload a demo or something cause i really don't quit get where to add "Bitmap#bitmap_font(x, y, text, [ font])" and why is "#bitmap_font(x, y, text, [ font])" comments out? is it suppose to be like that or do i remove the "#"?

Top Top

Elijah von Bose
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 am
Heh, no, ok. This is why I said it's mainly a tool for scripters. Here's a quick tutorial:

Go to your scripts editor.
Go to the window you want to add it to.
you should see a line that says:
Expand to see the code.

This is creating an instance of the "Bitmap" class. I added this method to the Bitmap class, so to use it, you would add (in the update method, after self.contents.clear) :
Expand to see the code.

Of course, replacing x and y with numbers :P and text with quoted stuff, like "john lawl"

If you need further clarification, you could PM me.

Top Top

KAIRE
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 am
oh now i get it. thanks, now i just need to make my own image! seems to work great!

Top Top

Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:05 pm
Does this by any chance support symbols within text?

I'd like something that would allow me to put some item icons within text itself. For example through preset letter combination SYM1, SYM2, SYM3 etc. etc. No one is likely to use those words in dialogue anyway, so they'd be fine to reserve for the symbols.

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:09 pm

It might be quicker... but I assume this will take more memory?

Top Top

Axerax
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:24 pm
The easiest way to create fonts is opening a font file of your choice into Adobe Illustrator, then change text to outline, from there you can use the pen tool to alter and generate new text.

Kailis Topic: http://www.hbgames/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=63810

Top Top

Mac
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:53 pm
Yeah as Meâ„¢ said its going to slow down stuff, anything that calls on bitmap usually slows down the game plus also you are caching an image which will also affect it, but then again the script is still very small but i can still imagine it having an affect.

Top Top

Elijah von Bose
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:12 pm
Actually it's faster than draw_text, as it doesn't do anything other than render the image. It will only take as much memory as your font file. It's better overall. Also, you can make fonts however you wish, I used GG.

Also, on the symbol note: If you want, you could just replace symbols like ; or \, or ), as they're most likely not going to be used. ^-^

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 pm

I have seen the script. I will look into the memory consumation. It is quite a cool script! :D

Top Top

Mac
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm
Oooo i never knew that, i shall have to give this a whirl sometime then :D

Top Top

Chocolate-Cow
  Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:54 pm
Do you have a sample of a picture or can you provide a template of some sort? This script is really neat. Good Job :)

Top Top

Elijah von Bose
  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:45 am
I have provided a template, it is within the script box, at the bottom. It is just an image, (any size) which holds enough EQUAL sized spaces for 26 characters across, and 3 rows. For referencing information as to which holds what, see the image I made.

Top Top

lethalvisions
  Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:30 pm
You know, this will really come in handy... dare i say it...

See, I work with someone who's sort of hard of sight, when it comes to the little words, but, with the ability to do something like 'stroke' or something to really make the letters stand out, this would be perfect!

Now if I can just get that darned side-battler to work without suffering a brain fart from trying to figure out what tags make the characters animate and such...

Top Top

Harrybo21
  Sun May 25, 2008 4:31 pm
This is a great script. But is there anyway to make the spaces smaller than the characters? I hve tried but i cant find a way

Venetia: Please do not necropost. If you have a question about an old script, ask a fully detailed question in RGSS Support.

Last edited by Venetia on Mon May 26, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

$t3v0
  Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 am
Britfafafafa
Awesome Bro

Quote:
November 12, 2007, 02:30:00 pm

:o

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]