Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

vgvgf
  Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32 am

Some bad news for the RM world, RGSSAD decryption has been discovered and released to the public some time ago by a chinese guy, leexuany.
Here is a link to his post about this in his blog: leexuany's Blog - Translated Version

Also, here are direct links to both sources and bin of the program:
rgssad_wx.rar
rgssad_wx_src.rar

For extracting the resources of a RGSSAD/RGSS2A with the program, it is really simply:
- Open it
- If it is a .rgss2a file(From a RMVX game), change its name to Game.rgssad
- Click on the first button(Upper right one) and select the RGSSAD/RGSS2A file
- Click on the second button(Below the first one), then select the folder where RGSSAD data will be extracted
- And finally click the 3th button for starting the extraction proccess

However, not everything are bad news. There is still some hope to protect your games. There are some indications on leexuany's Blog, but I will try to do something soon.

Edit: I have to add an important thing before people start saying wrong things. This program is not ilegal. This program isn't a product of some RPG Maker modification, or something like that. It just extracts the rgssad files with an algorithm leexuany created.

Last edited by vgvgf on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

King Kadelfek
  Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Location: France ! France ! France ! ...yeah, your land is cool too, don't worry. :)
vgvgf wrote:
However, not everything are bad news.

I just decrypt one of my first projects, for which I deleted the sources. T_T
I'm crying, I'm so happy.

Thank you, Vgvgf.
Thanks to leexuany too.

But I think many makers will not be happy...

EDIT : I never believe this cryptation will working forever.

DreaMaker, the RPG Maker's successor compatible with RM2K, RM03 and RMXP

Last edited by King Kadelfek on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

computerwizoo7
  Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Nooooooo!!!!
what the hell is this!
I don't want people cracking open my game!

Top Top

vgvgf
  Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:05 pm

King Kadelfek wrote:
Thank you, Vgvgf.
Thanks to leexuany too.
Well, thanks only leexuany for this, I just presented this here, and nothing more.
computerwizoo7 wrote:
Nooooooo!!!!
what the hell is this!
Don't worry about this too much, you will be able to protect your game(Not 100% protection, no method can do that), just let me finish a tutorial on how to protect a game against this.

Top Top

JoshieBoy
  Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I just tried it out and it works. To extract a game.rgss2a file, simply rename it game.rgssad. I didn't know if that was mentioned or not. :thumb:

Top Top

computerwizoo7
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 am

Even more!
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
my RMXP and RMVX games!!!!!
anyway i have not posted them yet.

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 am
venerable inertia
Staff

FUCK MAN this is so gay

vgvgf or any coders, i beseech you to find a way to decrypt the program better than it is :(

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 am

computerwizoo7 wrote:
Nooooooo!!!!
what the hell is this!

who would want to crack open your game?  lol?

This can be a very useful tool.  For instance, if you decrypted your game then lost the game after some sort of computer crisis type stuff, you can get your game back.

But...there are bound to be some people that will go around decrypting games just to steal their scripts/resources/whatever.  For instance, I've always wanted a decrypted Quintessence.  I'm not gonna do that, I'm just sayin.  :P

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/xephyr14/worldabovesig.png[/img]

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:54 am
consul for life
Sponsor

Xephyr wrote:
For instance, I've always wanted a decrypted Quintessence.  I'm not gonna do that, I'm just sayin.  :P

Do you realize how fake that sounds? :x

Last edited by dadevvtsvre on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 am

Dadevster wrote:
Xephyr wrote:
For instance, I've always wanted a decrypted Quintessence.  I'm not gonna do that, I'm just sayin.  :P

Do you realize how fake that sounds? :x

Yes, yes I do.

Top Top

hima
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:29 am
Sponsor

He release the source of the program, that means people can learn the decryption algorithm, and find a way to protect such decryption.

I don't mind much about decryption though. They can't take away your resources and make money out of it, if your resources are original. If they want to look at my script, then feel free to do so. I don't think I'm great enough of a scripter to be used as an example.  But if that's gonna help them learn something, then that's great!

The only thing I don't like about this decryption is that my bad coding habits will be exposed! :(

Genre : Love-Simulation Status : 50%

My Projects

Top Top

Reives
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 am
Sponsor

hima wrote:
The only thing I don't like about this decryption is that my bad coding habits will be exposed! :(

^Amen. :c

Weren't there already a couple of working decryptors before this, though?

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:43 pm
Staff

Inept Evil Stooge
There was pandoras box, but I believe it didn't work for 90% of games.

Top Top

Xephyr
  Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:45 pm

For some reason this won't work with rgss2.

I tested it out on my own and game the program won't even open it :x

edit:

oh, just saw that guys post.  never mind.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Ynlraey
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:05 am
Wutz Effert?

You know I have been wondering, why are people so afraid of letting their game open? It's not like it has original content or original script (exclude some stuff) :V

it's like saying:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!111 MY COPY PASTED SCRIPTS!!111
NO!!!!! MY EDITED RTP AND RURUGA FACES!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I believe the only time you can complain is when: NOOOOO! MY ORIGINAL TILESETS, SPRITES, ARTWORK, AND SCRIPTS!

Last edited by Ynlraey on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

hima
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:06 am
Sponsor

I think another reason beside the resources is that people are afraid that they gonna use this decryptor to cheat their games.

Now, someone should come up with a script obfuscator :)

My Projects

Top Top

Necrile
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:37 am
Sponsor

No man is meant to have such a power. This must be destroyed.

Top Top

Ynlraey
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:08 am
Wutz Effert?

hima wrote:
I think another reason beside the resources is that people are afraid that they gonna use this decryptor to cheat their games.

I still don't see why this is a reason to encrypt games :U
then again they can do the backup system Carius did on his game that it'll detect if someone is cheating or something
or this..

Quote:
Now, someone should come up with a script obfuscator :)

Top Top

hima
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:16 am
Sponsor

@Ynlraey
But that backup system then needs to be encrypted or else someone can fix that and disable it :)

Though, I think to encrypt or not is entirely up to the developer. Thus it isn't weird that you don't see why people wanna encrypt the game for that reason.

My Projects

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:49 am
venerable inertia
Staff

Ynlraey wrote:
I believe the only time you can complain is when: NOOOOO! MY ORIGINAL TILESETS, SPRITES, ARTWORK, AND SCRIPTS!

But my deal DOES have original tiles, sprites, artwork, and scripts and I DO NOT want people stealing them super easily when it's released. >:(

also people who go commercial will DEFINITELY be against it.

Lastly, if people want their shit to be decrypted then they should be able to have it safe!!!

I mean this kind of thing is bound to happen all the time, it's just the way of things, but it would be extremely nice for someone to put as much effort into ENCRYPTION, too.

Top Top

Cowlol
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:46 am

Here's an idea: release your game with some end-user agreement that explicitly restricts decrypting or reverse-engineering. People will still do it, but not in public, and you'd have a good case if you catch someone reusing your resources (at least you could tell the site hosting their game to take it down). You simply can't fight cracking your game, so acknowledge it and try to minimize the 'damage'.

I'm all for open games, though, it encourages an environment for learning and sharing. Cheating isn't that bad either, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have got through many RPG Maker games where the developer forgot to remember that not all players know his/her game inside out like he/she does. If I ever release my game I'm thinking of asking the artists if we could release the resources freely, considering how it's hard to find original resources for resolutions over 320x240. I certainly wouldn't mind releasing the code either. I'd still sell the game, because I'm sure *some* people want to buy more than just pretty resources and battle system scripts.

Also hima, I admit I cracked your game! I was simply interested in how you coded certain things... does that make me... a criminal? :(

Last edited by Cowlol on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

hima
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:27 am
Sponsor

@Cowlol
You mean you crack by using this decryptor or you made your own?  I agree with you about us cannot 100% prevent our game for being decrypted. And the end-user agreement is a really nice idea.

Also, I don't mind decrypting my game for learning so don't worry :)  ( But if you make your own decryptor then I'd love to ask you to teach me how. I want to learn more about encryption/decryption )

I was actually going to release the unencrypt version too but I want to add comments to explain the idea behind the script or each event command first so that people don't have to guess blindly what my poor written code was trying to do lol. Nobody asked me for that so I never got around to continue working on it ^ ^;

My Projects

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:16 am
Staff

Inept Evil Stooge
This sucks for online games where leaderboards are involved, and commercial games where money is being taken.

But, it's better to know it exists and (hopefully) how to defend against it, than to not know it exists and not know people are stealing yer game.

Top Top

Prexus
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:26 am
Sponsor

Venetia wrote:
But my deal DOES have original tiles, sprites, artwork, and scripts and I DO NOT want people stealing them super easily when it's released. >:(

also people who go commercial will DEFINITELY be against it.

Lastly, if people want their shit to be decrypted then they should be able to have it safe!!!

I mean this kind of thing is bound to happen all the time, it's just the way of things, but it would be extremely nice for someone to put as much effort into ENCRYPTION, too.

1. Sprites, graphics, sounds, and scripts, can all be ripped from an RM game just as easily as it is ripped from any other game. Screenshotting. Recording. Replicating. Not that hard to do.

2. If anyone uses your original work, for any reason whatsoever, whether it is to make money, or for fun, you have the right to pursue legal action. If you don't, they are getting away with stealing your work based on your own negligence.

3. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE CHEATS AT YOUR GAME? GOD.

GFX Ripping requests with scripting rewards:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74252
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74253 [self completed]

Top Top

Ynlraey
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:38 am
Wutz Effert?

Prexus wrote:

THANK YOU!
Also Venetia, what Cowlol said, I was about to say the end user agreement, but he explained it better XD

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 am
Staff

Inept Evil Stooge
Because cheating is generally really shitty, I'd like to think people played my game to get the storyline and gameplay not to become uber powerful and thus get bored with it. Yes, there's nothing wrong with cheating I guess, and if people really get a kick out of that then whatever, but in games that are online, or have had a SHITLOAD of hard work put into the storyline like Venetia's game it's really not fair that someone should be able to just shit all over it (metaphorically speaking).

Top Top

Wichu
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Then there's the (few) multiplayer and online games; I'm making a Pokémon fangame which will eventually have online trading and battling. I'm going to implement a system which allows the game to detect cheated Pokémon. This is all good and everything, but a project cracker means that someone could just open up the scripts, figure out how the hack detection works, and create undetectable hacks. Which wouldn't be a problem if you couldn't play against other people, but you can :S

Let's hope that the ways to prevent it being cracked that vgvgf is working on translating will be safe enough... Although it would be amazing if someone created a custom encryption system, with some way of customizing it so not everyone's games will be encrypted identically.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 pm
Staff

Inept Evil Stooge
@Wichu: What you want to do is do all your hack protection in the server itself, as then even if they change the game they can't save or trade or whatever over the server.

Top Top

hima
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 pm
Sponsor

Whether or not people cares about cheating doesn't take away the developers rights to encrypt their games.   Screenshotting, recording and replicating all takes efforts. Having an encryption will at least prevent a normal user from doing it too easily.

And like Wichu said, multiplayer games and online games need to take cheating into account. (Also those games that have online highscore table.)

Personally, I do care about people cheating on my game. Not in a sense that 'This is my game! Don't cheat!' but I would love to know why do they cheat and which part or on what aspect they usually needs to cheat.   This is so that I'd know that maybe I can improve that part to be more interesting or adjust the difficulty or maybe having an in-game cheat code. But of course, talking about this further would be more appropriate in Punk's topic instead so I'll stop now :)

My Projects

Last edited by hima on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Prexus wrote:
1. Sprites, graphics, sounds, and scripts, can all be ripped from an RM game just as easily as it is ripped from any other game. Screenshotting. Recording. Replicating. Not that hard to do.

2. If anyone uses your original work, for any reason whatsoever, whether it is to make money, or for fun, you have the right to pursue legal action. If you don't, they are getting away with stealing your work based on your own negligence.

When did I ever bitch about cheating? And notice how you ignored my operating word "EASILY" in "I DO NOT want people stealing them super easily when it's released."

Yes people can rip, but ripping takes time. Decrypting a project takes all of 4 seconds, and then anyone has access to EVERY SINGLE tiny little piece of artwork/system work/whatever imaginable, no work involved. I'm not even as concerned about the things I've done so much as I'm concerned about the things I've commissioned from people--I think that the people who help me deserve to know their shit is atleast SORT OF safe.

Secondly, yes, I can take legal action. Against hundreds, possibly THOUSANDS of FACELESS INTERNETPEOPLE. Sounds great, and HUGELY FEASIBLE. not.

I'm realistic, I mean I'm not going to be crying in the corner if someone uses my shit (in fact much of it will be made available in the HKCP), but it is kind of shitty IMHO for someone to just crack into my hard work and tamper with it, super easily, with a few clicks of a mouse. It cheapens my hard work. IN MY OPINION.

It's asinine for anyone to bitch about me or anyone wanting to protect my (or, their) work. If you don't want your shit protected, then by all means, release some shit and unprotect it. But I DO and peoples' opinions about these things should be respected.

Last edited by Venetia on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top