Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

cstrahan
  Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Script Title:
Tilemap.rb

Engine: RMXP

Detailed Description:
Hello guys! I'm working on reimplimenting RMXP. For those of you wondering why I'd want to do that, I'll explain later on down this page. For now, let me describe what I need to make this possible.

For my clone of RMXP (http://github.com/cstrahan/open-rpg-maker), I need to implement the Tilemap class. Unfortunetly, I'm not very familiar with the behavior of this class, so doing this myself would take for ever. If someone could write this for me, I'll be able to make much more progress on the rest of the codebase. The code is already rendering sprites successfully, which means that we can render the Tilemap by creating a sprite for each layer.

I tried looking through GlitchFinder's edit of SephirothSpawn's Tilemap script here:
viewtopic.php?p=494360#p494360

Unfortunately, it requires modification to RMXP's standard scripts, which won't work in my scenario. The reason why that isn't an acceptable solution is due to the fact that I want my implementation of RMXP to work with existing games without modifying their scripts.

So, if someone can rewrite Tilemap without any requirement of modifying/inserting scripts, I'll be that much closer to getting my open source version of RMXP finished!

Why rewrite RMXP?
I have many reasons!
    1) Cross platform support (Mac, Linux & Windows)
    2) Run games in the browser via Silverlight
    3) Using a full distribution of Ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9 (which would run much faster, and allow for advanced scripting)
    4) Using the Rubygame gem for OpenGL/SDL rendering
    5) Playing games on the PSP with Joyau

Screen shots:
N/A

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
N/A

Top Top

cstrahan
  Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Alright! So I've managed to refactor Glitchfinder's script. I still need to clean up a bit, and remove all the other modules (other than Tilemap).

Please give it a test and let me know if there's anything wrong! I'm hoping I'll have a decent replica of the Tilemap functionality pretty soon... then I can move on to an alpha release of my project.

Content Hidden

Cheers,
-Charles

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:36 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

That's not really Glitch's script. It is almost identical to the one I did, just a slight mod of mine. Not that I really care...

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 am
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

SephirothSpawn wrote:
That's not really Glitch's script. It is almost identical to the one I did, just a slight mod of mine. Not that I really care...

He sent me a PM about it, and I pointed him your way. You had been working on another version of your rewrite last I had checked, and it might prove useful in this case. As a side note, he's going to have quite a bit of trouble with his goals when it comes to input, because he has two real choices: either change things, or severely limit the keys it reads from the keyboard. Not to mention the issues of reading from a game controller or mouse.

Also, it might be worth noting that Enterbrain would not like an open source clone of their copyrighted material being made, no matter what the intentions were. Differences between American and Japanese copyright law can only hold a major corporation back for so long once they take notice.

Play it now!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

cstrahan
  Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:31 am

SephirothSpawn wrote:

True. That's why I mentioned that it was an edit of yours (or at least I meant to).

Glitchfinder wrote:
Also, it might be worth noting that Enterbrain would not like an open source clone of their copyrighted material being made, no matter what the intentions were. Differences between American and Japanese copyright law can only hold a major corporation back for so long once they take notice.

I suppose Enterbrain may not like it, but that would be sorta strange. I'm not planning on rewriting the part that makes the games - just the part that plays them. And, considering that I don't intend to use any copyrighted material, I don't see what they could complain about. The end result is that people will purchase RMXP and build their games on Windows, but they'll be able to deploy them wherever they see fit - Linux, Windows, Mac, whatever. I suppose I share the same goals as vgvgf's ARGSS:
http://argss.com.ar/forums/showthread.php?tid=10

Glitchfinder wrote:
... he's going to have quite a bit of trouble with his goals when it comes to input, because he has two real choices: either change things, or severely limit the keys it reads from the keyboard. Not to mention the issues of reading from a game controller or mouse.

As for the Input module, I'll just make the extra keys available as an option. I don't want to break compatibility with existing games right from the start, so I'll do something creative... Although that might not be necessary. If the game is running on the "official" Ruby interpreter (MRI, or YARV), calls into the Windows API and dlls should work just fine - on Windows, of course. To make such games work cross platform would require taking out any scripts depending on the dll, and replace them with something that plays nicely with my version of the game engine. I'll probably just make full support for mouse and keyboard inherent with my engine, and distribute a script that switches it on.

Back to the topic of Tilemaps. I just finished rewriting Seph's script without any dependency on changing the rest of the game scripts. I'm now trying to find out why it is that the character's sprite renders on top of layer 2 and 3 when the character is below the middle of the map (on the y-axis). I think I'll sit down at some point and actually figure out how the Tilemap needs to be rendered and do a complete rewrite... but for now, this should work for testing purposes. I'm really not looking forward to it though - I've spent well over 25 hours working on this project just this weekend, and I really want to get it to a solid alpha or beta point here pretty soon. :huh:

Hopefully I'll have some good news here in little while. I have all of the data structures, Sprite/Bitmap finished, the main game loop successfully runs through a simple game, etc.

-Charles

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

cstrahan wrote:
Back to the topic of Tilemaps. I just finished rewriting Seph's script without any dependency on changing the rest of the game scripts. I'm now trying to find out why it is that the character's sprite renders on top of layer 2 and 3 when the character is below the middle of the map (on the y-axis). I think I'll sit down at some point and actually figure out how the Tilemap needs to be rendered and do a complete rewrite... but for now, this should work for testing purposes. I'm really not looking forward to it though - I've spent well over 25 hours working on this project just this weekend, and I really want to get it to a solid alpha or beta point here pretty soon. :huh:

Actually, that's because the player's z position changes with its y position. Check out the z-related method in Game_Character.

Play it now!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

xulai1001
  Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I need to change resolution and this tileset helps a lot!

Top Top

gerrtunk
  Tue May 22, 2012 12:38 am

i suggest you to join to vgvg argss http://sourceforge.net/projects/argss/ thats very advanced, is better to join forces no?.

Top Top